PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Sizing Wax VS Hornady One Shot

Bazoo
12-25-2018, 11:46 PM
I've used Imperial sizing wax from the beginning, bout 7 or 8 years ago. I've read its praises here on this forum, and I agree, it works well. By works well, I mean, I put it on, size cases, none stick, and a can lasts forever. I like simple stuff, and one of the key things I like about it, is that I can wipe the excess off with a rag instead of using some sort of solvent or tumbling after sizing. I also like being able to wipe it on, slow, but simple.

Well, I got all energetic one day at Academy and bought a can of Hornady one shot case lube. It set a few months and I figured i'd give it a try. Sprayed some cases from all 4 sides and let it set a few minutes then sized. I didnt clean my die out as instructed. Well, I noticed that the cases sized much easier than with the imperial sizing wax. I can wipe the excess One Shot off, which is a plus. The down side is, that it stinks, aint cheap by comparison, and aint simple either.

I've used imperial in the "a little dab is all you need" amount, and in the I slather it all over amount, finding that a little more makes it easier. However, the One shot made sizing almost effortlessly by comparison. Im sure that part of it is that I get some of the lube in the case mouths. I use graphite on the case mouths with the imperial sizing wax, but its no comparison.

So I got to thinking about it, am I doing something wrong with the Imperial? Or is the One Shot really that much easier?

Anyone have a suggestion for lube that I can wipe on and wipe off without solvent, but that makes sizing easier than the Imperial?

~Bazoo

oger
12-26-2018, 12:07 AM
Try Dillon lube

GregLaROCHE
12-26-2018, 01:25 AM
I like the idea of a spray, because it’s easy to get some lube on the inside of the case. I make my own with castor oil and lanolin mixed into alcohol, then put in a spray bottle.

tazman
12-26-2018, 05:22 AM
I have been using the ONE SHOT for a lot of years. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but I have never had problems with it like I have with other lubes. It is also very easy to use.
With the cases standing in a loading tray, I spray it down onto the cases at about a 45 degree angle with a sweeping motion. I do this from three directions. This gives me a complete coat and gets a bit into the neck of the case.
I don't mind the smell at all.
I have a bottle of Dillon lube on hand but have not tried it yet.

lightman
12-26-2018, 07:34 AM
I really don't know any other lube that will just wipe off. I use Imperial when I neck size because it is easy to wipe on and off. I use the Dillon spray for full length sizing but its a little sticky and does not wipe off to suit me. I'll make my own whenever the case that I bought runs out.

One shot has gotten a bad rep for sticking cases. I have found it to work well if you follow the instructions. That is first to shake it up very well and second is to let it dry on the case for a few minutes to let the carrier evaporate. My only gripes with OneShot is the price and the fact that I bought several cans on sale once and they lost pressure.

lightman
12-26-2018, 07:38 AM
I have been using the ONE SHOT for a lot of years. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but I have never had problems with it like I have with other lubes. It is also very easy to use.
With the cases standing in a loading tray, I spray it down onto the cases at about a 45 degree angle with a sweeping motion. I do this from three directions. This gives me a complete coat and gets a bit into the neck of the case.
I don't mind the smell at all.
I have a bottle of Dillon lube on hand but have not tried it yet.

I think you will like the Dillon lube. Use it like OneShot, shake it well and then let the carrier (alcohol) evaporate before sizing the cases. I use a gallon ZipLoc bag and spray 50 or 100 cases at a time. I'll roll them around in the bag to get the lube spread to all of the cases. I usually use 2 or maybe 3 pumps.

jmorris
12-26-2018, 09:41 AM
I only used oneshot once on rifle cases and didn’t like it. Dillon worked better for me. I use a bankersbox lid put the cases in and give a couple squirts, shake and let dry. A zip lock bag works too but I prefer the box lid.

Imperial is a great lube as is Hornady’s unique lube but you apply both of them case by case, by hand. So they are not the Mose efficient use of time.

onomrbil
12-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Pure Mink Oil Paste

TNsailorman
12-26-2018, 10:41 AM
I have tried most of the case lubes at one time or another but keep coming back to Imperial Wax as it is still the best one I have found. They all work after a fashion but I like to take my time with case prep and the wipe it on with my fingers and wipe it off with an old towel works best for me. my experience anyway, james

Three44s
12-26-2018, 11:18 AM
I am a fan of Imperial but now I use the Unique tub from Lyman. Way more lube for the money and it is almost as efficient as to the amount used.

The individual process does waste time compared to using a spray technique. But the thing I object to with spraying is getting my load blocks gunked up.

Three44s

country gent
12-26-2018, 12:28 PM
I've used the imperial for years. I was shown a trick for applying it by an old time High power shooter that makes it quick and easy to apply a very thin coat evenly. It takes very little of it to do the job required.

Buy a cheap bath towel. lay flat on bench or floor. wipe some Imperial in it and pour cases on it a little more imperial. pick up towel by corners each end in each hand forming a sling or loop. raise and lower hands to agitate roll cases. I have done 1500 308s in my towel at one time. Once towel is impregnated it goes very fast lubing cases. Until towel is ompregnated you need to watch cases coating as it can be applied to thin. When done store towel in a gallon size zip lock bag with air pushed out.

I started out with the rcbs lube and pad slow and easy to over apply. Hard to remove short of tumbling. I then used lanolin and it was good but messy, It did soften hands also. A friend uses Crisco for case lube, Ive never tried it. Bag balm is popular with a lot, but that the lanolin in it. Stp has been used but again hard to remove. I haven't used any of the sprays or newer lubes.

Conditor22
12-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Mix liquid lanolin with the red bottle of heat. I've seen ratios from 8 to 1 through 12 to 1.
You can mix it to whatever thickness you prefer, start at 12 to 1 and add more lanolin if you not happy with that.
For $10 you have a lifetime supply of case lube at the exact consistency you like.
I pour the lanolin into the bottle of heat with a couple boolits in it and have it sitting on the back of my bench, refilling my sprayer whenever needed.

6.5 CM
12-26-2018, 12:40 PM
They both are great and I use both. ONLY use the Hornady aerasol NOT the pump. It will suffice for ALMOST anything. I get out the Imperial when the Hornady is too much effort. Like machine gun pickup 7.62x51 brass I want to use in a bolt gun.

Walter Laich
12-26-2018, 01:29 PM
I use One Shot mostly because of the speed of application and overall neatness once applied.

I tried lanolin/Heet and found it was taking way too long to apply/shake and allow to dry

reloading for 6 cowboy shooters can take a bit of time

Walks
12-26-2018, 01:46 PM
I've used HORNADY One Shot since it came out. But only on Rifle cases that I shoot in Semi-Auto's & LEVER Guns.
Sinclair Int'l makes some Wonderful case blocks just for spray lubes. Some sort of poly composite that is impervious to just about anything. I wash them about every thousand rounds in Dawn dish soap.
They are shallow blocks with 2 staggered rows. I put one on a stool covered buy several sheets of newspaper. Spray from all sides. Remove to loading bench. Spray 2nd block. Go inside refill coffee cup, back to bench start sizing. When I finish the 1st block, I put 2nd block on loading bench. Then refill 1st block, spray and go to size cases in block on loading bench.

Repeat, spraying & sizing. Refill Coffee cup as needed.

It may sound time consuming and confusing. But in the time it's taken me to punch this long boring description into my tablet with a touch pen, I could have done at least a hundred cases.
And I never bother to wipe it off, until I'm sitting in front of the TV doing final inspection and putting the loaded rounds into their boxes.

And I still use IMPERIAL SIZING Die WAX for Bolt, Single Shot & Pump action RIFLE Cartridges. I smear it on a lube pad. And use with my finger too.

Hornady One Shot make sizing .06 cases that pop out of my Garand as easy as sizing .32 auto in a T/C die.

JSnover
12-26-2018, 02:52 PM
I Loved OnsShot. If you don't care for spraying the cases try a lube pad (like an ink pad) you spray a bunch on and roll the cases across it. I have a couple of tubs of wipe-on lubes and they work fine but One Shot seemed less likely to leave lube dents on my cases.

GregLaROCHE
12-26-2018, 04:52 PM
I really don't know any other lube that will just wipe off. I use Imperial when I neck size because it is easy to wipe on and off. I use the Dillon spray for full length sizing but its a little sticky and does not wipe off to suit me. I'll make my own whenever the case that I bought runs out.

One shot has gotten a bad rep for sticking cases. I have fount it to work well if you follow the instructions. That is first to shake it up very well and second is to let it dry on the case for a few minutes to let the carrier evaporate. My only gripes with OneShot is the price and the fact that I bought several cans on sale once and they lost pressure.

If you still have those cans with no pressure left, there is a neat trick. Get a valve stem for a tubless rim. A new one that hasn’t been cut off. The part that is normally inside the rim, has hole that fits on the top of most spray cans. You have to hold it on, but can charge the can as if you were filling a tire. Be careful not to put too much pressure in. I don’t know how much those cans can take.

MyFlatline
12-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Put the brass in a gallon size ziplock and spay and tumble with the one shot. You are suppose to let it dry also, on small batches I use Imperial or mink oil. All 3 work wonders.

Conditor22
12-26-2018, 05:49 PM
for small batches and handgun brass I use a gallon screw top plastic container 1/4 full of cut up sponges.

I"m also a fan of mink oil (robbed my old shoe care kit:))

Taterhead
12-26-2018, 06:10 PM
I've settled on the lube pad method for rifle brass. A qtip swap inside the neck. Then the cases get a trip through the vibratory cleaner to remove lube.

I like Hornady One Shot for handgun brass. Even for carbide dies. Makes the experience much nicer. I use one of those large ziploc plastic food storage containers. A few sprays on the bottom, sides and lid. Brass goes in for a few swirls. I set the whole container outside an adjacent open window to off gas. I don't trust HOS for rifle duty. I don't do anything to remove HOS lube.

jonp
12-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Imperial for rifle, One shot for pistols when not using my homemade

David2011
12-26-2018, 10:41 PM
I can only compare Dillon to Imperial. I use Imperial for rifle cases and Dillon for most pistol and.223 brass. That’s basically volume reloading of handgun ammunition vs a few rifle cases. They work pretty much equally well for me. For very difficult to size cases I find that pure undiluted lanolin works much better. One of the successes with straight lanolin was S&W .500 cases that were very difficult to size. Straight lanolin made it easy.

lightman
12-26-2018, 10:51 PM
If you still have those cans with no pressure left, there is a neat trick. Get a valve stem for a tubless rim. A new one that hasn’t been cut off. The part that is normally inside the rim, has hole that fits on the top of most spray cans. You have to hold it on, but can charge the can as if you were filling a tire. Be careful not to put too much pressure in. I don’t know how much those cans can take.

Thanks for the idea. I'll have to did through the cabinet to see if I still have them. I expect that I do as I'm bad to keep stuff! With my compressor I expect a fraction of a second will be enough.

Bazoo
12-26-2018, 11:10 PM
I appreciate everyones replies on this subject.

The Hornady One shot does not wipe off as easy as the Imperial for me, but it does come off sufficiently with just a rag in my experience. This is an important feature for me for any lube.

Does anyone else notice that the Hornady One Shot reduces the effort to size cases vs the Imperial? With my Lee hand press, this is really a benefit.

Bazoo
12-26-2018, 11:12 PM
GregLaRoche, Thank you for that trick! Thats something I never would have thought of. I normally cut the can open and use whatever it is in a squirt bottle once the can looses its pressure.

fatnhappy
12-27-2018, 05:24 PM
I have tried most of the case lubes at one time or another but keep coming back to Imperial Wax as it is still the best one I have found. They all work after a fashion but I like to take my time with case prep and the wipe it on with my fingers and wipe it off with an old towel works best for me. my experience anyway, james

pretty much the same here.

Smoke4320
12-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Small caliber cases up to 358 Remington Hornady One Shot works great for 458 Socom and 50 BMG Imperial Sizing wax is the only good way I have found to NOT have stuck cases

BK7saum
12-30-2018, 10:31 AM
I use both. Like most here, I use Imperial for small, one off sizing jobs and One Shot for bulk sizing of rifle cases. I spray inside a gallon ziplock bag. It greatly reduces the amount used vs the coverage.

I do also mist the pistol brass to reduce effort through carbide dies on the progressive. I have a whole drawer of One Shot that I purchased around $5 a can recently. I had just about quit using it due to the cost, but found a bunch on clearance at one of the big online retailers.

The only time I've had issues with One Shot was early on and were application issues or ...lack of. If you only spray 2 sides or go light you may have a stuck case. You need to spray for good coverage and let the carrier dry.

I use to spray cases in case blocks or handgun ammo trays, but that was too messy and too wasteful with the overspray. The gallon bag trick works very well.

str8wal
12-30-2018, 12:35 PM
I like Hornady Unique. I just dab my fingers in it occasionally as I size cases. No mess and wipes off easily.

tazman
12-30-2018, 01:36 PM
I don't shoot enough rifle to worry about the overspray from One Shot. If I were going through a can a week maybe.
I shoot 50-150 founds of centerfire rifle per week during the warm months. It takes me quite a while to go through a couple of cans of One Shot.

hendere
12-30-2018, 10:09 PM
I noticed bigger containers of Imperial at the shop the other day and I found that humorous.

wrench man
12-31-2018, 02:32 AM
Hornady One STUCK doesn't say how many days you're supposed to shake the can?, how many days you're supposed to let it dry? and absolutely nothing about drenching the brass in it on a cookies sheet or a gallon ziploc bag!??
Using that GARBAGE! I pulled the rim off of a couple of 338WM shells and busted two stations out of the 30-30 shell plate on my Dillon 550!! (Dillon IS a PAIN in the *** to get warranty out of!!), I own an RCBS stuck case remover because of that ****!, went to ISDW and have never looked back!

M-Tecs
12-31-2018, 05:05 AM
I average about 6,000 rounds a year with Hornady One Shot. Mostly .223 & .308. I really like it but I do use Imperial for case forming. Compared to the Dillon spray lube the big advantage is it doesn't gum up the case feeders.

avogunner
12-31-2018, 05:56 AM
In close to 40yrs reloading, the only time I've ever had a case (.30-06) stuck in a sizing die was after being "lubed" with Hornady One Shot. Not saying it's bad stuff but when the very first time you use something (and on the very first case) it doesn't work, one tends to lose confidence in it. Maybe I didn't shake the can long enough as WrenchMan above infers, I dunno, but for me, there are better options. Anyway, I use Imperial Wax and the Dillon spray lube mostly but I use the tried and true roll pad lubing once in awhile too.
Semper Fi

Blindshooter
12-31-2018, 06:45 AM
One Shot is great for easing the effort it takes to pull the handle on a progressive press. I have arthritis and for me its worth the extra cost. I don't use much and don't clean it off afterwards. Loading rifle is another story, lanolin or wax there and I do prep first if loading progressive so I can get it off the case before loading. The plastic tub the wax came in fell apart so I warmed it up in a old metal film canister. A little goes a long way, bought that tub around 1980.
Happy new year all.

abunaitoo
12-31-2018, 06:59 AM
Imperial works great, but I stopped using it a while ago.
Kiwi Mink oil was the same thing, and the tin was three times bigger, and cost half as much.
BUT............
Kiwi no longer sells the Mink oil.
Got into some kind trouble with it, and had to stop selling it. From what I heard anyway.
They sent me a coupon to try their Outdoor conditioning Oil.
Seems to be working as good as the Mink oil.
Price is higher, but still less than Imperial, and same big tin.
I've tried One shot, Hornady case lube, Lee case lube, Midway case lube, cable pull lube.
The Kiwi worked better than all of them.

Shawlerbrook
12-31-2018, 07:17 AM
Imperial = if it ain’t broke, why fix it .

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2018, 07:30 AM
imperial is anhydrous lanolin. Its probably the best lube you can use but if you go to your pharmacy or look on ebay you can buy a large tub of it for what a small tin of imperial costs. I bought a tub of it about 15 years ago and still haven't used it all and if it wasn't for the fact I used it to make felix lube too it would probably last me a lifetime of case sizing.

lefty o
12-31-2018, 08:17 AM
for bulk stuff i use lanolin/alcohol mix, but one shot for case forming. never stuck one yet.

ioon44
12-31-2018, 09:27 AM
I have used Imperial for over 30 years and never had a stuck case, then I tried Hornady One Shot and had some stuck cases, so I will keep using Imperial.

Rick Hodges
12-31-2018, 11:29 AM
I have never used one shot...used to use the pad and RCBS lube. Switched to Imperial and I see no reason to ever change. Love it.

Bazoo
12-31-2018, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the comments on it folks. I've not used the One shot for a long time, only several hundred rounds of 30-30 so far. I do apply it liberally and shake the can a minute before application. I also apply it from 4 sides. Maybe thats why I aint stuck a case with it and It eases the amount of force to size.

Now, I aint knocking the Imperial... I aint got no complaints, but It does take more force to size than the one shot does. Thats something to consider when using the lee hand press.

abunaitoo
01-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Long ago I tried the Lee case lube mixed with alcohol.
Put shells in a tub, squirt a little lube in a shake until coated.
Let it dry, then size.
Worked well, and not sticky.
It did leave a dull sheen on some places of the shells.
I think I got this from the first Lee reloading book.

doulos
01-02-2019, 01:53 AM
Ive been using the same 2 small bottles of RCBS lube for as long as I can remember. I am mostly doing pistol ammo. I just put some small dabs on my fingers about every 10-20 cases and just handling the cases they get lubed enough to make quite a difference in sizing effort. Before I did it this way I used a pad with Lyman Case lube. I actually prefer not using the pad. Pistol cases need very little lube IMO.

cwlongshot
01-02-2019, 10:07 AM
None better then Imperial. BUT it is a lil slow and messy. I wont ever be with out some on my bench. I reserve its use to case forming.

I like Dillion if I don't have the ingredients to make my own.

One **** isn't all that, its cause far more issues than its fixed. I have some, bought it years and years ago. Recently, I been using it up on sizing powder coated bullets in the lee die. I wont be buying more.

CW

Bazoo
01-02-2019, 08:42 PM
When folks say Imperial is the best, or works the best. What does that constitute to everyone?