PDA

View Full Version : Pre 1898 rifles

crankycalico
12-25-2018, 09:12 PM
Just what are the main issues of looking at the pre 1898 mausers?

I know the 7x57 models SHOULD be the best in terms of reloading for, that cartridge and chamber never seems to have changed once Mauser made it.

What issues will there be in terms of barrel/headspacing issues and safety?

Der Gebirgsjager
12-25-2018, 09:44 PM
1889 (Belgian), 1891 (Argentine), 1893 (Spanish), 1894 (Early Swedish, carbines), 1895 (Chilean), 1896 (Swedish) all good, some variations within each category and some used by different countries other than the primary contract. All are very sound rifles if you get one in good condition. If it is in good condition there should be no safety issues at all. Specifically about headspace, any gunsmith (or yourself with the know how) can check the headspace. In my experience it is more the exception that the rule to find one with bad headspace, even if the bolt's serial number is different from the receiver's, as long as they are both of the same make and model. None of them present much of a reloading problem.

Outpost75
12-25-2018, 10:23 PM
The earlier Mausers do not have locking shoulders on the firing pin shaft to prevent discharge if the sear is jarred off when the bolt is not completely locked. I once saw a fellow's thumb amputated by trying to force the bolt closed on an improperly sized case. NOT for me, thank you!

crankycalico
12-25-2018, 11:23 PM
Ive been seeing a few DECENT looking mausers for suspiciously low prices online, and namely argentine contract, but some standard 7x57 and 8x57, im curious on that safety aspect of things.

john.k
12-26-2018, 12:55 AM
The 1891 Argie style should be avoided ,due to poor/faulty extraction...........all pre 1898 are 120 years old..............doh!.........I dont say they are dangerous,just not of a suitable standard for conversion.....But one thing for sure,is that any Mauser with a gas shield on the bolt is a lot safer than a Mannlicher with a free run into the firers face for a burst primer,or a split case head.(or sim a Comission rifle)

Texas by God
12-26-2018, 04:18 PM
You can send all those 120 yr old wobbly Mausers to me for proper disposal. Especially 1891s.

Wayne Smith
12-27-2018, 08:49 PM
I have a Chilean that we have re-done - but when I bought it was already started, stock cut down. Pulled off the sights, had my gunsmith build a spacer and he threaded end of the barrel that the front sight was on (cut down already) so when it was screwed on you could barely see the line. I polished the barrel, he blasted the action (don't know what he used) and blued the barreled action. I told him to heat blue the extractor, the butterknife bolt handle, and the back end of the action that holds the bolt (here I go loosing words again). He called me and told me the rifle was done - oh, he also added scope mounts to it - but said maybe I might not like it because he didn't exactly follow my directions??

When I got there I asked what he did, and as he pulled it out of the sock he said "I didn't heat blue, I stopped at gold!" I APPROVED of his decision and it is now upstairs in the gun cabinet. I just got some long bullets for it as that is what it was rifled for. At 100 yds with the 140gr that I had I got a five round at about 1.3" but as round as it could be. My friend said "that rifle wants to shoot".

Texas by God
12-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Pics, Wayne Smith. That sounds like a good original barrel, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

crankycalico
12-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Do all of the new modern rifles make sure the gas doesn't come back into the firers face?

Earlwb
12-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Do all of the new modern rifles make sure the gas doesn't come back into the firers face?

I think that there are still some exceptions. Always wear eye protection. Some gas blowby will still happen even with a gun that has some protection in place.

john.k
12-28-2018, 07:17 AM
The 98 bolt shroud is safe to the extent that a rifle that blew the extractor thru the thin part of the reciever wall,didnt mark the shooters face....in fact he only knew something was wrong when the bolt was jammed.

GregLaROCHE
12-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Just what are the main issues of looking at the pre 1898 mausers?

I know the 7x57 models SHOULD be the best in terms of reloading for, that cartridge and chamber never seems to have changed once Mauser made it.

What issues will there be in terms of barrel/headspacing issues and safety?

The older receivers are not as strong. Doesn’t mean they don’t work. In those years gun technologies were changing and improving very rapidly.

Tracy
12-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Nope. Most don't.

atr
12-28-2018, 10:18 AM
I have a German made 1895 model. Superb machine work and overall quality. I have no qualms about pushing the 7x57 to its max with this rifle.
The only thing I did notice about the 1895 was that it had a very long throat, but that was to be expected as the standard round designed for that rifle was a long 175 gr Round nose.
I once had a model 1893 7x57 made in Spain which I never loaded hot but never had a problem with.

I think the advice about wearing protective eye gear is a good on, no matter what rifle you are shooting.