PDA

View Full Version : Common sense Scope Mounting

Traffer
12-25-2018, 04:18 AM
I am a noob when it comes to many aspects of guns. I know enough to look for advise. I found this video on youtube. I think this guy is an asset to our society. I hope others may enjoy it also:

https://youtu.be/7Ie3t3iLHGc

6.5 CM
12-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Mounting a scope takes a room temp IQ. Next on UTube ---- How to pick your nose.

toallmy
12-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Mounting a scope takes a room temp IQ. Next on UTube ---- How to pick your nose.

I have paid a shop a couple times to butcher my actions drilling & tapping for a scope in my youth .

12-25-2018, 11:17 AM
Charming. There are a few tricks of the trade.

contender1
12-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Do not apologize for being new to gun tinkering. We ALL had to start somewhere.

Scope mounting is not a hard task,, yet is still easily screwed up if not done properly. I didn't watch the video,,, but I do know a few simple good tools and understanding what you are going to do can make it easy.
I use proper fitting screwdrivers, a gun rest, a set of 2 levels,, (Wheeler makes a proper set,) and a torque wrench.
Place the gun in the cradle, and using an action level, make it square.
Mount the scope base.
Mount the lower half of the rings.
Check the gun again to see if it's still level, if not, level it again.
Place the scope in the ring halves.
Place the caps on the rings. Screw them down snug, but not to where you can not turn the scope.
Check the level on the gun.
Add the second level to the scope, and adjust the scope to where both levels are the same.
Once all this is secure, snug but still adjustable, pick up the gun to adjust the eye relief distance.
Place the gun back in the cradle, and level the gun. Check the scope to make sure it is still level, if not adjust to match the gun.
Snug the screws to where the scope can't move.
Re-check the eye relief, the level, and if all is good, using a torque wrench, tighten the screws.
Done.

Texas by God
12-25-2018, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the video. A refresher course never hurts. Sporterizing Milsurps will teach you all that can go wrong and right on mounting a scope. And nowadays we have long actions and short tubed scopes to contend with. And if you get your crosshairs square the first time with classic 2 screw Weaver rings- go buy a lottery ticket! I think over tightening rings is a sin, marking that nice scope. Most of the time it is straightforward but the steps should be followed most importantly proper driver fit.

MyFlatline
12-25-2018, 04:19 PM
I often get poo'd that I lap my rings before mounting the scope. IMO, it has made a huge difference in zero hold.

It will show you just how far out of tolerance the rings really are.

country gent
12-25-2018, 09:10 PM
I mount the rings and use a set of concentric points to show their alignment. I to lapp rings once mounted to the rail or bases. Sometimes switching rings from front to back makes a difference in the alignment of the points. On heavy recoiling rifles I sometimes give a light coat of rosin when setting the scope. When lapping I generally lapp for 75-80% pattern in the rings.

redhawk0
12-25-2018, 09:53 PM
I guess I cheat...I like Burris Signature Zee rings with the plastic "cradled" inserts. Those inserts self center in the "cradle" of the rings and don't require lapping.

I've never had any issues mounting them on any rifle I've used them on.

redhawk

crankycalico
12-25-2018, 11:55 PM
my local chain gun retailer has a tendency to put scopes on backwards, so I don't believe its as intuitive as we think.

osteodoc08
12-26-2018, 12:14 AM
Do not apologize for being new to gun tinkering. We ALL had to start somewhere.

Scope mounting is not a hard task,, yet is still easily screwed up if not done properly. I didn't watch the video,,, but I do know a few simple good tools and understanding what you are going to do can make it easy.
I use proper fitting screwdrivers, a gun rest, a set of 2 levels,, (Wheeler makes a proper set,) and a torque wrench.
Place the gun in the cradle, and using an action level, make it square.
Mount the scope base.
Mount the lower half of the rings.
Check the gun again to see if it's still level, if not, level it again.
Place the scope in the ring halves.
Place the caps on the rings. Screw them down snug, but not to where you can not turn the scope.
Check the level on the gun.
Add the second level to the scope, and adjust the scope to where both levels are the same.
Once all this is secure, snug but still adjustable, pick up the gun to adjust the eye relief distance.
Place the gun back in the cradle, and level the gun. Check the scope to make sure it is still level, if not adjust to match the gun.
Snug the screws to where the scope can't move.
Re-check the eye relief, the level, and if all is good, using a torque wrench, tighten the screws.
Done.

Other than possibly lapping rings, this is my process as well. Lapping is most important when cranking down on aluminum scopes in steel rings. YMMV

GregLaROCHE
12-26-2018, 01:19 AM
I’ve watched a number of this guys videos. He seems to know what he is talking about in them and has a lot of interesting topics on all levels. He also responded quickly to a question I left in the comments.

Dieselhorses
12-26-2018, 02:15 AM
I was tripping a couple of weeks ago when I was bore sighting an 06 with a Bushnell scope. I couldn't get the windage to shift far enough to the right and was ready to 86 the darn thing. Then I realized that the rear rail screw through bottom of ring could be adjusted to get you close. I felt really dumb! So it never hurts to go back to the basics.

Texas by God
12-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Conetrol mounts and rings take time and patience to get right. As do Bausch & Lomb vintage. It ain't always just screwing tacticool stuff on an AR..... and I've seen a lot of ***** there, too.

6.5 CM
12-26-2018, 12:28 PM
If you don't use Burris Signature insert rings, you will when you get tired of ring marks. No 20 MOA bases needed either !