PDA

View Full Version : lubrasizing tumble lube bullets

straight-shooter
10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Has anyone had good luck with lubrasizing tumble lube style bullets ? Does the smaller lube grooves hold the lube in place well ?

I'm actually thinking of lubing with a Lyman 450 using BAC then tumbling the bullets in either JPW or alox. What's your opinion ?

jackley
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Why??????

straight-shooter
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Why??????

I want to eliminate a extra step in the process. Now I tumble them in alox - let dry overnight - run them through a lee push through sizer - then tumble them again and let dry overnight.

With the lubrasizer I would just lube and size in one step and then tumble. Time saving my good man!

I just want to hear from someone who has done this before I waste my time.

DLCTEX
10-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I lube the 45 ACP TL with the lubesizer and load them. It's not necessary to add more. DALE

straight-shooter
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I lube the 45 ACP TL with the lubesizer and load them. It's not necessary to add more. DALE

So tumble lubing after putting them through the Lyman 450 would be overkill then ? I take it you've have good luck with no leading with just the lube in the tumble lube grooves ? Thanks in advance dale.

I guess my main concern is the tumble lube grooves tighten up smaller when the bullet is sized I've noticed thus not holding as much lube.

Boerrancher
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Why??????

My sentiments exactly on the tumble lubing after running them through the lube sizer. I tumble lube some of my boolits because certain firearms like them better than the same boolit run through the lube sizer. My 30-06 Springfield will not shoot lube sizer lube as well as it does JPW.

To answer your original question I run several of the tumble lube design boolits through my lube sizer and they hold the lube and shoot just fine. I have had great success with doing either but I generally let the firearm I am shooting determine how I lube and size the boolits I put in it.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

straight-shooter
10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Alrighty then and thanks for the quick replys. I'll just lube em' in the Lyman 450 and load em' up pards! [smilie=w:

Another question just came to mind though since I'm new at using the 450. After you guys lube the bullets can you load them right away or is it advisable to let them set overnight. I'll be using White Label's BAC lube.

Boerrancher
10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I like to let them set after I lube them for a while, but I have shot them right way as well. I generally size and lube them shortly after they are cast. I like to let them set a week or so to harden up some since I air cool my boolits. As I said I have cast, sized, lubed, loaded and shot all in the same day with no adverse effects.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

straight-shooter
10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Thank you very much for the information. When my 450 arrives in the mail I'll feel better about the direction i'm heading.

Cheers! :drinks:

leadeye
10-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I lube-size the RD 265 with Lyman Ideal in my RCBS lubamatic to .431 for my Marlin 1894. I liked the way it seats the gas checks and when I checked grouping I had better results than using the alox through the Lee.

With all of the good results I see people are getting with the alox I will probably work up a new evaluation after deer season though.

Shiloh
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Why??????

Says it all.

The whole purpose of tumble lube is as an alternative to using a lubrisizer. I use the TL molds and the liquid alox for handgun boolits. Some but not all. The reason is, I can cast hundreds of boolits in an hour, size them in the LEE sizer die, and tumble lube them. That way I load up hundreds to have on hand and spend the good shooting weather at the range.

I tried them with the LYMAN 450 lubrisizer. Yep they work and shoot fine but no better than tumble lubing. So why the heck would you want to?? Save your time lubing non TL boolits.

Shiloh :castmine:

Boomer Mikey
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Says it all.

The whole purpose of tumble lube is as an alternative to using a lubrisizer. I use the TL molds and the liquid alox for handgun boolits. Some but not all. The reason is, I can cast hundreds of boolits in an hour, size them in the LEE sizer die, and tumble lube them. That way I load up hundreds to have on hand and spend the good shooting weather at the range.

I tried them with the LYMAN 450 lubrisizer. Yep they work and shoot fine but no better than tumble lubing. So why the heck would you want to?? Save your time lubing non TL boolits.

Shiloh :castmine:

Because some of us don't like the smell, mess, and feel of LLA and appreciate Ranch Dog's bullet designs.

If you like LLA and only the Lee push thru sizer with it's limited range of sizes then good for you... you have my permission to use regular non-tumble lube boolit designs in your Lee sizers with LLA as well.

Boomer :Fire:

straight-shooter
10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
My thinking as well. With the 450 I can size-lube in one step and put the bullets in a box and forget it. The LLA does work as advertised, very well in fact but I just prefer to skip the mess and standing the bullets on their base on wax paper.

EDK
10-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I currently have LARS' 2500 in the STAR lubri-sizer. I used it on the RANCH DOG 265s and got good results. Likewise with canuba and 50/50 lubes. Other boolits are primarily 429667 and the 200 grain double ended 44 wadcutter; gas checks are too expensive. (PAT MARLIN needs to get busy with the gas check maker for my 44s!)

I also used XLOX (as shown in RD's tutorial sticky and ran them through the STAR to size them and seat the gas checks) on boolits out of the same cast and they cleaned some residual lead from the barrels of assorted 44 VAQUEROS/ BLACKHAWKS. Has anyone else noticed this?

There's another thread with the opposite thought...Using LLA/XLOX/JPW on conventional lube groove boolits. "Looks to me like there are a whole bunch of ways to skin a cat!"

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

mdi
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Why??????

If I reloaded as a business or if my reloading was only to have something that goes bang, then perhaps this would be a good question. (For me)

When I reload my time is my own. I don't try to be super efficient and crank out a thousand rounds at a setting. I don't have a quota to make when I sit down to reload or cast bullets.

I reload because I like it. Casting and reloading is fun(When it stops being fun, I'll just buy cheap ammo). There may be some unnecessary steps, but who cares? Relating to this topic of tumble lube and lubersizer lubing, I have lubed w/ liquid alox and when dried, lubed with JPW. I've tumble lubed plain bullets and pan lubed tumble lube style bullets. And maybe it took longer and was less efficient, but I had fun!

Why?, BECAUSE!

straight-shooter
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
OK, I didn't mean for this to turn into a slamfest. We all have our likes and dislikes as I was just asking a simple question so I can for myself explore different avenues of lubing so I can decide for myself which applications I like best. We're all family here and it should stay that way.

What I'm getting at is educational and informative answers without a hint of attack towards another persons preference.

Thanks to those with this type of answer...

Cheers :drinks:

mdi
10-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I did not mean to offend nor slam anyone! If I did I am truley sorry. What I meant is that reloading and casting is my hobbie, and what I do is not wasted time, so "why" does not apply.

If it is not dangerous, or won't harm your gun, do it. Maybe for you and your situation the entire reloading process may become just that much funner (?). Maybe your results would lead to an entirely new lubing method! Who knows? Without hobbie casters experimenting, where would we be? Floor wax for bullets? Never. (I'm going to try a Catapillar Equipment spray-on dry boom lube. If it works, I'll tell everyone about. If it don't, no loss). Beer can gaschecks? No way. Cornbread pans for ingot molds? Don't think so.

Sorry again,
Mike...

44man
10-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I HATE Lee snot! [smilie=1:
I rub Felix in my RD boolits by hand and run them through a lapped out Lee die to remove excess. Shot 5 in 3/4" at 100 yd's with my SBH.
Be careful sizing them. Fit to the throats and don't size smaller.

fishhawk
10-09-2008, 03:09 PM
44man says it all some just hate to use LLA. i for one don't like it either. and don't see why any one here would be offended as to the reasons. steve k

looseprojectile
10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
has it right.
I do enjoy casting and lubing and attempt to do it as well as can be done.
For years, [about fiftyfive] I cast and lubed with Lyman 45 and that was good.
Now I have discovered Ranch Dog boolits and LLA and am getting the same or better results than before.
I see that Ranch Dog has removed the 35 caliber, [coming soon] from his advertisement here. DANG. I want one of those for the 92 Rossi.
In recent years, [a couple] I have seen many receipes for lube espoused that do not work any better than LLA in pistol caliber guns, even with regular lube grooved boolits.
I can lube five hundred boolits in five minutes, [plain base] and if they are the right size from the mould all is good. Perhaps if I had a more efficient lubersizer I would think differently. At this point in time I am leaning toward LLA and a wax coat. I never handle the boolits individually. Never touch the wet lube. And thinner is better. It doesn't take a lot of lube, just the right lube. Lee micro-band boolits work. Try it you may like it.
Life is good

dk17hmr
10-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I run Ranch Dog 30 caliber bullets through my Lyman 45 all the time. I like the way they look when I am done. Sometimes I tumble lube them after they come out of the lubersizer with JPW just because. But than again I tumble lube them to start with also. Depends what I am using them for.