PDA

View Full Version : First range report for my 38-40 (photos)

KirkD
10-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Well I was all in a lather to try out the Winchester Model 1892 38 W.C.F. (38-40) that I had acquired back early last spring. I'd been waiting for a mould, then mould handles. I finally cast up a bunch of bullets on Saturday, using wheel weights and an RCBS mould. The bullets, lubed and sized to .401, weighted 188 grains.

When I arrived, I took a single shot at 50 yards. about 7" high and 5" to the left. The rear sight was as low as it would go, so looks like I'll be needing to swap the front sight for one that is a bit taller. I got a few here in my office. I tapped the rear sight to the right a bit and put a target up at 100 yards.

First 5 shots using 17 grains of 5744:
This load chrono'd at 1,291 fps with an E.S. of 62 fps and an S.D. of 24 fps. The very first shot was high for some reason. The next four were pretty close together, with three very close and the fourth just a half inch off the paper. The group of four measured just under 3". This load looks promising except for that dadgummed flyer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/38-40-17-grains.jpg

Second 5 shots using 19 grains of 5744 and nice flat bottomed bullets:
The previous five shots were too far to the right, so I tapped the rear sight back left a wee bit. I put up a new target and sent another 5 rounds down range. This load chrono'd at 1,417 fps with an E.S. of 44 fps and an S.D. of 16 fps. I went down to take a look. It was awful. The holes were spread out over a whopping 6 & 3/4". I wouldn't call that a group. I'm not sure whether it is me just not used to the notch/front bead combination, or if it is the load, or both. Anyway, here's the target:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/38-40-19-grains-sharp.jpg

Third 5 shots using 19 grains of 5744 under bullets with a rounded bottom edge:
Due to me just learning how to cast, a number of my bullets came out with a rounded edge on the base, rather than a nice, sharp one. I figured I'd try these out just for curiosity to see what affect the rounded base edge had on accuracy. I held a bit lower this time on a new sheet of paper and let 'er rip. I walked down to see the target and was surprised to see that this group was way better than the one with the nice, sharp base edge. It's still nothing to write home about, but it is starting to resemble a group, except for the proverbial flyer. Perhaps I was getting a bit more used to these particular open iron sights. Here's the target
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/Range%20Results/38-40-19-grains-round.jpg

I'm thinking of trying a faster powder, 2400 and a slower powder, 4198 next time. Also, I'll be trying some unsized bullets to see how they do. An investigation of the bore showed that there was no leading at all by the time I finished the last shot of round edged bullets. That tells me those bullets are probably sealing the bore reasonably well. Here's a photo of the old rifle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/temp-38-40.jpg

Don McDowell
10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Looking pretty good Kirk. I think I'ld stick with the 17 gr load, looks like that rifle and that bullet are happier there than at the heavier charges.
The flier's might be coming from an air pocket in the base.
If you're getting much over a 1 gr spread there's likely to be a problem with that weight range of bullets.

KirkD
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Don, I never thought to weigh each bullet, but given that I didn't half know what I was doing when I was casting on Saturday, air bubbles could be possible. I figured I was doing pretty good just not pouring lead down my shoe! I'll weigh the next set before reloading to make sure I've got a uniform bunch. Given that the 17 grain load looks more promising than the 19 grain load, I'm curious to see how IMR 4198 will do, as it should give the bullet a gentler send off for the same muzzle velocity.

Don McDowell
10-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Kirk for your first stab at bullet casting, I think things are looking real good. I'm curious to see how the 4198 and 2400 loads work for you. Also wondering if you've thought about giving bluedot a workout ?

Weighing cast bullets is about the only thing I use my digital scale for any more other than just cross checking my old balance beam redding. With the digital you can sort bullets right down to .1 of a grain if a fellers of a mind to.

KirkD
10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Don, I don't have any Bluedot but 2400 isn't too much slower than Bluedot, and I have plenty of that. I'll try to get to the range before the end of the week .... maybe Wednesday, with the new loads to try out and a replaced front sight that doesn't shoot so high. I might even try 5 rounds with toilet paper .... it sure made a difference in my 44-40. However, toilet paper is a pain, so I'd prefer to find a good load that doesn't need toilet paper filler as a poor man's gas check.

Don McDowell
10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Well looking forward to reading another one of your excellent write ups on the process.

w30wcf
10-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Kirk,
Thank you for the range report. That 17 gr. load of 5744 looks promising. Interestingly, it is a duplication of the original .38-40 ballistics. One thing you might want to try is a magnum pistol primer to see if that would would improve the E.S.

I found that to be true in my .44-40 with 16/H4227 which replicates early .44-40 performance / pressure (14,000). However, when I increased the load to replicate W.H.V. ballistics, I found no advantage in using the magnum primer since the pressure was high enough to get a more complete burn from the powder charge.

w30wcf

PatMarlin
10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
These are the kind of threads I like to read.. Thanks and nice rifle shootin' John.

9.3X62AL
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
+1 to Pat's text. I have a Model 1873 in 44-40 that shoots about as well as your 92, and if it gets better I'd just call it good (and an epiphany, as well). That supposedly "ugly" 3" group at 100 yards is really just 1.5" from group center (think radial dispersion here), and certainly good enough to make venison at any range suitable for the 38-40. The '73 has grassed deer in the hundreds, I should add.

missionary5155
10-08-2008, 05:48 AM
Good morning KIRKD... Nice WINNY ! The above info about the boolits is good if there is a problem with the boolit bases.
I assume you "slugged" your chamber area ?? That is THE place to find out the REAL diameter of your Barrel. Many old rifles are chamber area Eroaded. My 44-40 (1892 Win SRC 27xxx) will shoot great with a .433+ boolit.. and the barrel is .428. If your chamber is LARGE you need a LARGE diameter boolit to seal off the gas at the start. Also take a CLOSE look at the muzzle area. If it is all "Wallowed out" from Steel cleaning rods you are gonna have to make some choices whether you want an Accurate shooter or a inaccurate "Collector" piece. I removed 2 inches on my 44-40 down here and it went from Paper plate at 50 yards to less than 2 inches.. same load. My Winny will shoot under 4 inches at 100 on a solid rest. Been happily blasting small rocks out to 70 yards for 10 years now.
After confirming your barrel.. try Unique.. start at 8 grains and move up in .3 grain incriments. My 1892 starts shooting decent at 7 grains (260 grain Rapine) and really shoots 9 grains WELL ! I use 8 grains as my everyday plinker. I have a 10 grain load that will flat crush cement blocks. Have not gone beyong 10 grains as I have a 308 for POWER. I do not have a Cronagraph here to measure FPS. But that is what I have learned with old Winny´s.. My 38-40 Winny is up there in Illinois...
Enjoy your RIFLE ! It will shoot far better... :mrgreen:

KirkD
10-08-2008, 07:40 AM
I've not yet slugged my bore, but I plan to do so once I've cleaned the bore. I was curious to put the first set of rounds out the barrel to see how they shot. I have visually checked the chamber and throat and it is immaculate, with no erosion or corrosion.

Unique has a very high pressure spike in comparison to medium speed powders like 2400, so it will bump up the bullet much easier. I'm a bit nervous about using Unique at higher velocities like 1,400 fps. 2400 has a Dupont Index (DPI) of 189 and a Relative Quickness (RQ) of 27, whereas Unique has a DPI of 431 and a RQ of 62, so to get the same velocity using Unique, your pressure curve is roughly double that of 2400. 2400 has potential, given it's 1 and 13/16" 4-shot group. Since I'm only at 1,200 and 14 grains, I have a lot of room for increase, which will raise the pressure, bump up the bullets even better, and hopefully bring that one flyer into the fold. I'll be happy with any load that gives me a 5-shot group of around 2" at 100 yards and 2400 looks like it just might do that.

missionary5155
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Well I am looking at my 1973 Lyman cast book and it shows a 172 Gr (40143 ) boolit with 10.5 Gr Unique moving at 1515 from a 92 winny with a 24 inch tube. I would not think a 188 gr boolit is gonna be much different. I shoot my 44-40 with a 260 gr up to 10 gr Unique and have not seen anything unusual... and our brass is the same except...
So anyway reloading and casting are GREAT.. Keep then old levers cooking !