PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying a S&W Model 10

Virginia John
12-22-2018, 11:57 AM
I bought what I was told was a S&W Model 10 but I have my doubts. I think it may be a M&P. Can someone tell me how to differentiate?

Der Gebirgsjager
12-22-2018, 12:07 PM

"On February 11, 1948, at serial number S990,184, the factory further improved the .38 Military and Police series by incorporating a new short hammer throw developed for target revolvers. With this change the .38 Military and Police Model became the revolver recognized to day as the Model 10."

Revolvers made shortly thereafter had a "C" prefix to the serial number, followed after completion of the 2nd million revolvers by a "D" prefix. If you have a "C" or "D" prefix it is a Model 10.

Very informative book. If you see a copy, buy it and add it to your gun library.

Outpost75
12-22-2018, 12:14 PM
If there is no model number stamped in the yoke cut, it predates model numbers, which began in 1957.

A transition model .38 Special M&P with S- prefix serial number, made in 1948 has the half-coin front sight and raised diamond Magna grips and looks like this:

Wayne Dobbs
12-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Basically, if you have no model number stamped inside the yoke, then you have an M&P AKA a "pre-Model 10". If there is a model number, it's a Model 10...officially Model 10 Military and Police. Confusing, I know.

2152hq
12-28-2018, 10:51 PM
S&W changed their entire line of guns from names like K22 Masterpiece, 38-44HD, 38 M&P, ect over to Model numbers,,17, 20, 10, ect.
That all occurred in 1957.

If your revolver was made before or after that change, it carries the Model 'Name' or the Model 'Number Designation'.

Collectors sometimes refer to older 'named models' as a 'Pre Model xx' ,,as in Pre Model 10. All they are saying is that the gun is a Model M&P.
The usual reference made in this instance is that the gun is a post WW2 mfg gun,,but made before the 1957 change to Model number use.

Pre WW2 mfg guns are usually defined as just that,,Pre-War Models.,, A Pre-War M&P
And yes there are Pre WW1 models as well,,but the collectors know enough about the game that one wouldn't be refering to a 'Pre-War Magnum' to be thinking it was anything other than a pre-WW2 revolver.
Getting into the early pre WW1 'M&P types', the discussions usually change to Model 1905, 1902 and changes with in each of those Models.
They know what they're speaking of,,others of us can quickly become lost in Collector-speak.
My teeth start to hurt sometimes!

If you research the ser# on your S&W M&P/Model10 you can get a pretty good idea of the yr of mfg from different listings on the net.
Only a factory letter would reliably tell you the exact yr/date as they did not ship with exact reference to mfg and calendar.
Some older guns show ship dates well after the date of mfg sometimes.
But with a date of mfg, simply wether pre or post 1957, you can at least pin down wether it is a 'Model 38 M&P',,or a 'Model 10' by the factorys designation.

The S&W Forum is a good place to ask questions and get good straight answers.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php