PDA

View Full Version : Ed Freeman - We were soldiers once

Boz330
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
For you guys that read the book you know what a hero this guy really was. I didn't remember that he won the CMH though and deserved it and then some.

Bob

You're an 18 or 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in a jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, 11-14-1965. LZ Xray, Vietnam. Your Infantry Unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see a Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back...... 13 more times.....changing aircraft twice (when they were shoot-up so bad they wouldn't fly) and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, ID......May God rest his soul.....

45nut
10-06-2008, 12:29 PM
A true hero.

10-06-2008, 01:10 PM
We need more men like him to help us through the future. They are so rare. God bless him.

Bullshop
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
There is no greater expression of love for your fellow man than to risk or give your life in a selfless act as this to save another. There is a place for him in heaven, God bless his soul.
It is always a puzzle to me how all can see the Godliness in such an act as this man has done but so few see or realise that Jesus ecentually did the same thing. He laid it all on the line for us.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Heavy lead
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Thank You Mr. Freeman. May you Rest In Peace.

shdwlkr
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
This country forgets the deeds of our military personnel when the fighting stops and wonders why we take so long to find them the next time we need them. For the most part most "heros" don't see themselves that way and worry more about those who never came home.

As to the mention of "We were soldiers once" My kids from two marriages never asked me what happened and now with my third family the kids are asking and so much removed from my records by me that no one will ever know what I did. Not sorry but wonder if they really knew if it would matter? I really don't think so as they don't think they have a clue as to what value we who have worn the uniform of your country really see in America and with the up coming election it maybe lost for all very soon. How sad that we lasted only this short time as a free people in a free nation.

nighthunter
10-06-2008, 06:03 PM
We did what we had to do to save ourselves and those with us. I came home a disabled vet. I was luckier than a lot of others that came home in a bag. My biggest beef is that a lot of politicians and their friends made money from the Viet Nam war. I hope they rot in HELL.

Nighthunter

gds
10-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I wish I could have met more men like this during my short tour on active duty. A true definition of a hero.

jjamna
10-07-2008, 12:35 AM
I have heard of Ed Freeman-A true Hero- Rest his soul. I have never been in the military but anytime I see a service man out in public in uniform I stop and shake his or her hand and thank them for my freedom. Night hunter- my hand is out to you and all who have served before and are no longer in uniform.THANK YOU for my FREEDOM

missionary5155
10-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Great Book about common Men who stepped up to do the impossible to help a brother soilder. When your tank is on fire you just forget what "reason" says ... you look into the eyes of that fellow crewman and you do what needs to be done to get him out.
As Bullshop said... this all amounts to nothing compared to what the Lord Jesus Crist did for us Dying and paying the price for our sins. Armor 71-74

HABCAN
10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I know there's a very Special Place for the Ed Freemans of This World, and I hope it has a front porch where such heros can sit in the Sun in peace. Though we never had the privilege of knowing them Here, I hope, when it is time for us to cross over, that we may have the privilege to walk by of an afternoon and shake their hands.

R.I.P.
III

beagle
10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
There are many heroes in our armed forces that will nearly always go the extra mile and this case was a great example. Sorry to hear of his passing.

My words to our politicians about the war in the various places that we're invoilved in right now..."it's not the GIs, stupid". They do their job and do it well. The complications come after the politicians come in after the GIs have done their job and try to get them to do the politician's job. Happened to us in VN and it's happening to us in Iraq and Afghanistan. Boys, the military's not equipped or trainned to do that.

Mr. politician, the GI can do his job and usually does it quite well. Can you do yours???

IMHO./beagle

felix
10-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Right on, John! Politicians start it, so they should end it.

Did you hear about the 35 year old aerospace engineer they hired to clean up the bailout positions, on PBS radio this morning? At least they got smart and got someone NOT political by nature. But, engineers don't like to build on quicksand for obvious reasons, and for some reason this guy took the job. I don't think they will ever dry up the water table (printing press) which would be required to convert the existing quicksand into concrete before the structure is built. In other words, the engineer is in for some disillusionment, long term. ... felix

Bret4207
10-08-2008, 05:15 PM
RIP sir. My hat is off to you.

9.3X62AL
10-08-2008, 06:35 PM
An awe-inspiring story of utter and total courage. Requiescat in pacem.

fatnhappy
10-08-2008, 06:58 PM
LZ x-ray was a small patch of hell. God bless the men that were there.
FREEMAN, ED W.
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress,
March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of The Congress the Medal of Honor to

CAPTAIN ED W. FREEMAN
UNITED STATES ARMY

for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November 1965 while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The unit was almost out of ammunition after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force. When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the besieged battalion. His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival, without which they would almost surely have gone down, with much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life-saving evacuation of an estimated 30 seriously wounded soldiers -- some of whom would not have survived had he not acted. All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers. Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

CRANDALL, BRUCE P.

Rank and Organization: Major, U.S. Army, Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). Place and dates: Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam, 14 November 1965. Place and date of birth: Olympia, Washington, 1933. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty: Major Bruce P. Crandall distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism as a Flight Commander in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). On 14 November 1965, his flight of sixteen helicopters was lifting troops for a search and destroy mission from Plei Me, Vietnam, to Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley. On the fourth troop lift, the airlift began to take enemy fire, and by the time the aircraft had refueled and returned for the next troop lift, the enemy had Landing Zone X-Ray targeted. As Major Crandall and the first eight helicopters landed to discharge troops on his fifth troop lift, his unarmed helicopter came under such intense enemy fire that the ground commander ordered the second flight of eight aircraft to abort their mission. As Major Crandall flew back to Plei Me, his base of operations, he determined that the ground commander of the besieged infantry batallion desperately needed more ammunition. Major Crandall then decided to adjust his base of operations to Artillery Firebase Falcon in order to shorten the flight distance to deliver ammunition and evacuate wounded soldiers. While medical evacuation was not his mission, he immediately sought volunteers and with complete disregard for his own personal safety, led the two aircraft to Landing Zone X-Ray. Despite the fact that the landing zone was still under relentless enemy fire, Major Crandall landed and proceeded to supervise the loading of seriously wounded soldiers aboard his aircraft. Major Crandall's voluntary decision to land under the most extreme fire instilled in the other pilots the will and spirit to continue to land their own aircraft, and in the ground forces the realization that they would be resupplied and that friendly wounded would be promptly evacuated. This greatly enhanced morale and the will to fight at a critical time. After his first medical evacuation, Major Crandall continued to fly into and out of the landing zone throughout the day and into the evening. That day he completed a total of 22 flights, most under intense enemy fire, retiring from the battlefield only after all possible service had been rendered to the Infantry battalion. His actions provided critical resupply of ammunition and evacuation of the wounded. Major Crandall's daring acts of bravery and courage in the face of an overwhelming and determined enemy are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Boz330
10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Bill,
I'm assuming you are the same Bill Weddle that worked for Ross Johnson Outfitters. How are you doing? Good to see you here. How is Homer doing?

Bob Boswell

jballs918
10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
i can only say RIP to this man. he did what needed to be done. there are a ton of poeple in the military that would do the same. as being a soldier and surrounded by this all the time sometimes you forget that what you do means so much to others. you are doing what just comes natural to you. :drinks:

Shiloh
10-31-2008, 11:56 PM
A truly wonderful dedication to a truly unselfish individual. There is a special place in heaven for men such as these.

Shiloh

madman
01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
My hope is that some day when I pass on that I will get to meet the men that followed their hearts to defend the country that they loved. I wonder what they think about the way our country looks now?

MoldyJoe
01-22-2009, 05:12 PM
As a Vet of Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom, I was pretty ticked at the people who kept patting me on the back, mostly because they were the same ones who were cussing and spitting on the Vietman Vets way back when I was just a kid. God bless you Vets whenever you served, we need more like Ed Freeman every day. Joe

atr
01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Rest in Peace Captain Freeman....you have earned it
atr
RA18916617