PDA

View Full Version : Hunting ...Err Shooting Rototillers

Johnch
12-21-2018, 04:10 AM
Monday till today I headed down to the Athens Ohio area to hunt Red and Gray Squirrels at a guys place I met online and have gotten togeather a numner of times to hunt
They will be eaten , but are frozen right now ....Tails will be turned into flies for bass and Blue Gills
His son was out running a trapping line when I got there
When he got home , he told us he had spotted a group of wild pigs feeding

So we switched gears and decided to hunt pigs

I had not only my 32 S&W Long rifle
But also a shotgun and a AK 47 that I had rebuilt from a cut down rifle , with a 30 MM Millet red dot on it

He told me YES it would work fine
So I loaded finished loading 4 , 30 round mags .... just in case the pigs didn't want to play nice
In 2 trucks with 4 ATV's in the back
We parked a ways away from the valley to not spook the pigs

When we got to the area his son had seen the pigs and it looked like someone had worked over large areas with a rototiller and we could here the pigs

Myself , my friend , his wife and a 14 year old son sort of hid along the small stream coming out of the valley
A steep rock wall was behind us and 50 or so yards of a mostly open area was in front of us

My friends 12... 13 year old son and 3 daughters ( about ) 8 , 16 and 18 had taken the 3 of the ATV's around to push the hogs to us from the other end

It seemed to take Hours , but I guess took 45 min for them to start

In short order we could here the pigs coming and got ready

About 10 min later we saw 2 sows and 9 young of the year pigs running our way .... not real fast
All the while looking for the kids that were behind them

I was given the first spot , then the son , then Mom and finally my friend

At about 10 yards in front of me and 30 yards to my right
I shot the first pig , a young of the year
Then everything went wild ... as the pigs went into overdive speed to get past us

Not exactly sure if I killed 3 or 4 pigs .... but I know I put a Lee 155 gr cast bullet into the head of one of the sows
Several of the pigs got shot several times and most of them we put a round in their heads to be sure they were dead

The son had a AR 15 as did the Mother ... I think 55 gr FMJ ammo
Dad played clean up with a 1100 shotgun with a 8 shot extended mag and OO buckshot

None of the pigs got away

They were able to get off the gravel road and drive within 50 yards of the creek running down the main valley
Making it easy to use the ATV's to transport the pigs about 300 yards to the trucks
It was funny to watch a 8 year old girl grab a about 100 lb pig by the leg and to try and pull it .... she was mad I took over and pulled it the 50 feet to a ATV

We all headed home , but 4 of the kids drove the ATV's cross country as we drove home on the road ( they call a thin strip of gravel a road in that area LOL )

3 of the young of the year pigs were dropped off to other people as we headed to his house
I then got a chance to help process wild pigs with someone that knew how to do it fast
In the right hands a SawsAll with a 12" metal cutting blade makes short work of cutting bones
Also I had to work fast , as they all knew how to cut up game to the right sized chunks for the freezer

2 - 60 or so old ladies from the next house also came over to help

In less than 3 hours we had all the pigs cleaned and cut up
They started mixing up brine to soak some of the meat before smoking

I think I brought home most of 1 sow as I was told they had most of the freezers full already and would give more away for Chirstmass presents

The other day I saw 30 or so more pigs while we were squirrel hunting
But I didn't think it would be a good idea of shooting a pig with the 32 S&W long at 100 yards

I was told the number of pigs in his area is increasing , even as they are killed and eaten by lots of people

John

missionary5155
12-21-2018, 05:36 AM
Good morning John and Congratulations for doing a good rototiller repair job.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-21-2018, 06:05 AM
Sounds like fun and some fine eating!

jdfoxinc
12-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Ham bacon ribs chops I'm drooling.

Thumbcocker
12-21-2018, 10:06 AM
I had no idea Ohio had wild hogs. Good job thinning them out. How did boolits do on them?

white eagle
12-21-2018, 11:01 AM
nice great story sound like a good time for all
those 8 yr olds can be feisty

popper
12-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Tails will be turned into flies Don't forget the face hair for the flies! Yea, they scatter pretty fast when the first hit occurs.

james nicholson
12-21-2018, 11:38 AM
You did well John, nothing better than organic bacon!

Messy bear
12-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Neat story! Thanks

MT Gianni
12-21-2018, 11:54 AM
That was a very enjoyable read, thanks.

Johnch
12-21-2018, 03:19 PM
I had no idea Ohio had wild hogs. Good job thinning them out. How did boolits do on them?

I was told I killed 4
The 2 I shot in the head went down right then

I think I shot 2 more in the shoulders and IMO I broke the shoulder bones
Those shots put the pigs down , but it took a bit before they died

I am sure I hit 1 or 2 more , but just like deer
They can sure run even with a hole in the lungs

I was using a hard alloy for the bullets , but using mid range jacketed data load with AA 1680
So the bullet was moving fast , but not a big flat area on the nose
So it was not the best choice of bullets ... but all I had with me

John

Smoke4320
12-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Dead wild pigs and a family outing to fill the freezer what could be better

willicd76
12-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Great story! I had no idea ohio had hogs either. We are overrun here in Texas.

Shopdog
12-22-2018, 07:12 AM
Nice write up. Yeah,sawzalls are nice.I have a 30 year old Milwaukee. But,keep an eye out for an old Disston "meat" saw... looks like a big honkin hack saw. I found one years ago,its our go to bone saw.

skeettx
12-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Wonderful and helping the neighborhood out was good stuff

Texas by God
12-22-2018, 11:12 AM
I had a Troybilt that I wanted to shoot [emoji16]
Way to kill pigs! Getting the whole sounder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wv109323
12-24-2018, 03:11 AM
In WV there is a wild boar season for the DNR stocked boar that are akin to razorbacks. This has a season and is regulated. Then there are wild undomesticated pigs. These were farm animals that have escaped and now run wild. Since they are not game animals there are no regulations on hunting or killing them.
I am pretty sure these are wild farm pigs, but they do taste good.

reddhawkk
01-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Sounds like it was a great day!

Conditor22
01-01-2019, 02:41 PM
With that firing line, the pigs didn't have a chance. Sounds like good family fun.

Hogtamer
01-01-2019, 03:06 PM
aka hamicide!

lightman
01-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Thats a cool story! Our State is getting over run with them and as wv109323 posted, they are not a game animal. Meaning that they are not managed. You can even hunt them at night.

pls1911
01-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Panhandle? Really?
I was unaware is any "issue level densities" North of Lubbock latitude.
Most of my pig pursuit hunts are in the Hill Country or around Haskell/Throckmorton .

skeettx
01-06-2019, 03:07 PM
http://www.newschannel10.com/story/12488752/hog-wild/

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-area-details.phtml?OArea=PD

popper
01-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Hog hunt in Palo Duro? No way for me. Been there. Son ran the marathon there and old boss did the hotter-n-hell mountain bike. Neither will go back.

skeettx
01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Kinda rough country isn't it popper :)
Makes you sweat just to think about it
Second only behind the Grand Canyon

popper
01-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Yea, coming back from Co when the kids were in GS, stopped there. Tried the self guided path out in the actual canyon, not the nice part where there are trees and the stage, in the summer of course. Didn't get very far. The marathon was down by the stage area. Worse than west of salt lake.

C-dubb
01-09-2019, 06:04 PM
I know those hogs destroy a lot of property but I bet they taste a lot better than squirrel.
I ALMOST wish we had some in my area..

Johnch
01-09-2019, 06:17 PM
I know those hogs destroy a lot of property but I bet they taste a lot better than squirrel.
I ALMOST wish we had some in my area..

Taste GOOD !!!

But the hogs hurt the deer , turkey , Squirrel and every other critter from the woods

But if you want to hunt them , ask a farmer what they think of hogs after the hogs feed in the corn field or wheat field
I bet most will HELP you haul out the DEAD hogs to be rid of them

John

C-dubb
01-09-2019, 06:53 PM
I said ALMOST :)

Three44s
01-18-2019, 01:27 AM
A whale of a hog story!

Congrats

Three44s

sparky45
01-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Don't worry; they are on their way. We are starting to see them in SE KS.

sparky45
01-18-2019, 12:04 PM
Double tap.