PDA

View Full Version : Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner

EDG
12-20-2018, 09:26 PM
I don't comment much on products that I use but this one is an exception.
About 10 to 15 years ago I bought a bottle of Birchwood Casey and used it to clean up my nastiest range pickup and other second hand brass. I normally try to buy large lots of once fired brass from individual and indoor ranges when it is clean and priced right. Hard to find brass is usually in smaller lots that on the average are more likely to be tarnished, filthy and corroded.
I will usually detrash these cases by washing and rinsing. After the dirt has been removed I gave them a bath in the Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner. The stuff is mixed with water and it is said one bottle will make 2 gallons. All I ever mixed up was 1 quart since it is kind of expensive. I have treated about 400 cases and it removed all the tarnish and corrosion much more effectively than my tumbler.
The solution is an acid and it contains an active ingredient named benzotriazole, that keeps stored brass looking like new almost indefinitely. I am still using the first quart that I mixed. It did slow down a little so I put it in a Pyrex pan and warmed it to about 120 F and it still worked well.
It is much more effective than white vinegar.
If you buy $50 of their products shipping is free. The case cleaner is on clearance at the BC web site at half price.

WRideout
12-20-2018, 09:56 PM
I acquired a bottle when I cleaned out a pile of inherited reloading equipment and supplies from a lady whose father had passed on. I too mix it up a quart at a time. I used some yesterday on a coffee can full of 9mm brass. It works really well. I used to tumble brasss, but don't see much of a need now, since washing is pretty easy. If the cases are deprimed first, it cleans the primer pockets too. I don't know if it's inherently better than, say, citric acid, but it does work.

Wayne

Kevin Rohrer
12-25-2018, 10:35 PM
I need something to clean a large, brass lamp stand. Do you wipe it on and off?

EDG
12-25-2018, 10:51 PM
It is normally used by dipping or immersing the cases. Some of the BIRCHWOOD Casey product ingredients are acids so you should use personal protection from contact. Then it requires rinsing.

You might try a teaspoon of Lemishine in a quart of water to wipe off your lamp. Any Lemishine you have extra can be used for case cleaning. You can also use it as intended to remove mineral deposits from dishes and dish washers.
Lemishine is a common grocery store product containing citric acid. You can also try lemon juice.

WRideout
01-02-2019, 08:22 AM
I need something to clean a large, brass lamp stand. Do you wipe it on and off?

Doesn't the Army use Brasso anymore? When I was a private I always had a can each of Brasso and black shinola shoe polish.

Wayne

tankgunner59
01-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Yes you can still find Brasso. Some time ago I bought my wife several brass vases and a set of brass swans. They all had a good amount of tarnish, used my brasso and they now look great.
Google it and you'll find several places.