PDA

View Full Version : Oh Boy it chambered

Black Powder Bill
12-19-2018, 12:40 PM
So I'm in my shop and I get a phone call from the gun shop what do you know about Mausers. I said I don't know what kind ? I got a German Mauser it has a different Barrel on it, it's not stamped what cartridge might it take. The guy picked up a couple boxes from LGS they are 7m08. He fired them, we have actually have the cases here for you to look at.

So I said well I'm sitting right here let me pull out my books so I get a book out my start looking to give me the manufacturer's name. I forget the guy's name but he's out of Germany.

We talked the guy leaves the rifle I'll go up to the shop couple hours later. Gunsmith had Pulled apart the rifle and it's, Bill I can't find any markings on it anywhere other than some of this old German stuff. Which was the manufacture almost unreadable.

What, well I'm running a few things up let me see what cartridges might chamber in it and what doesn't.
They were thinking it was a 280 REM doing random chamberings. So I danced around some and drop a 270 in it and Chambers.
I'm like okay let's check the Bore. Checked the bore at the muzzle I get .2765...2775 ish.
Check the chamber with go...no go gauges 30-06 ect

I don't have any 7 x 57 to check with.

So I drop in 2-270 in & head out and fire them Humm no excessive recoil or loud boom.
Brass extracts really nice pops right out. It looks good nothing split nothing scratched no bulges looks good.

I called the customer tell him what I found he seems to be happy. I gave you no guarantee. I told him the only way I would know for certain if I did a chamber casting.
He came and pick the rifle took the box of 270s. I told him you go check it out. Put your scope back on see what it's going to do, no warranties your mileage may differ.

I have to get more cerrosafe. This is an on going deal. Guys purchasing rifles with no cartridge markings at auctions. Even had to pull barrels on a few to verify what they were.
Usually I can find the numbers under a scope base of bottom of a barrel.
Anyway here's what a 7 millimeter 08 232327 looks like going off inside that chamber.

I'll call him again today and offer another suggestion & see how it went.

Hossfly
12-19-2018, 01:08 PM
I’m confused, can you explain that picture, it looks to me the whole neck is gone but doesn’t look blown of looks very smooth???

Rcmaveric
12-19-2018, 01:32 PM
He fired a 7mm in a 6.8mm barrel? I know from Quickloads you can go up 1% in bullet diameter without creating unpredictably pressures. Surprised he didnt damage anything. Chamber size and blowing out the case is what probably what saved the gun from excessive pressures.

If I had an unknown barrel, then I would do a chamber cast before I fired anything in it. I wonder if you could have found a peice of brass that would chamber and make a pound cast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

country gent
12-19-2018, 01:34 PM
I have seen 308s look like that. There used to be a chamber insert to convert garands from 30-06 to 308. Lottle steel insert that was loctited into chamber. When it pulled out and 308s were fred in the 06 chamber they looked like that.

Rcmaveric
12-19-2018, 01:35 PM
I’m confused, can you explain that picture, it looks to me the whole neck is gone but doesn’t look blown of looks very smooth???The guy fired a 7mm-08 in a most likey .270 Win chamber. Thats about .2m too big and the cartridge is well, place 30-06 case next to a 308... so it was short. So there is no case neck because it fireformed to the chamber.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black Powder Bill
12-19-2018, 02:25 PM
He fired a 7mm in a 6.8mm barrel? I know from Quickloads you can go up 1% in bullet diameter without creating unpredictably pressures. Surprised he didnt damage anything. Chamber size and blowing out the case is what probably what saved the gun from excessive pressures.

If I had an unknown barrel, then I would do a chamber cast before I fired anything in it. I wonder if you could have found a peice of brass that would chamber and make a pound cast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkI was willing to do a casting. The customer made the final decision.

My question was he fired a bigger Jword in a smaller bore. The owner told me ,it ejected. I said, yea it had to ,it was form.fitted to the bolt face .
!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

georgerkahn
12-19-2018, 02:53 PM
I agree 100% with Country Gent's, "I have seen 308s look like that. There used to be a chamber insert to convert garands from 30-06 to 308. Lottle steel insert that was loctited into chamber. When it pulled out and 308s were fired in the 06 chamber they looked like that.".
Further, at the range, I have seen fellows put .270s in .30-'06 rifles with quite similar results. Some were gifted to me to use as a "visual" to students in my Hunter Safety: Firearms classes.
While they may indeed function -- I'd be most skeptical if they are the intended cartridge for the rifle. Wolfe Publishing had published book called,Cartridges of the World, authored by Barnes, and -- should you do a chamber cast and take measurements -- you may be able to ascertain exactly what you have.
gep

lefty o
12-19-2018, 04:50 PM
i just wouldnt touch anything that guy owns. first for the fact he just shoved something in and pulled the trigger, second because he did it more than once.

Black Powder Bill
12-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Yea but it was another LGS that checked it and gave him the ctgs. I thought the same thing. I told the gunsmith and he did it twice.

When I get the phone call to go look at something it's because the gunsmith has to be fairly polite as that's his livelihood, me I'll insult people.

Now on the positive side. Had a guy stopped in today probably Mexican fella. Father's daughter a new Savage 243 scope supposed to be a bore sighted and everything.
In his daughter put a Target up they shoot at it and miss it.

Three on his way home from work he had a rifle in the car and the cartridges. and when I asked him how many times did you shoot it he was just one time and I knew there was something wrong.
I gave him advice on how to sight in and not shoot up a box of ctgs. We spoke for probably 15 or 20 minutes.
he left happy you understood what I told him you know what to do and he'll be back.

Scooby
12-19-2018, 07:10 PM
I live very close to a sportsman's club, the week of thanksgiving is the busiest week of the year there with Pa deer season starting the Monday after thanksgiving. I try to keep the range clean burn papers pick up brass, steel, and aluminum empties. I have been doing this for over ten years. I have a pretty full 12ga box of brass fired out of the wrong gun, at first I was like oh while someone must of got distracted or grabbed the wrong thing in a hurry. Now after doing it for so many years it really scares me about peoples own safety. They always showed the 20ga in a 12ga barrel at the hunter safety class there are a whole lot of cartridges biased on the 3006 and 308, I guess for some people it is easy to just throw a round in and pull the trigger. I will be following this to see if you get a chance to figure out what it is chambered for.

RED BEAR
12-19-2018, 07:12 PM
now i have been called nuts on more than a few occasions but even i would never fire an unknown caliber with out a chamber cast.

Black Powder Bill
12-19-2018, 07:26 PM
now i have been called nuts on more than a few occasions but even i would never fire an unknown caliber with out a chamber cast.

Chamber no go gauges & a large assortment of try ctgs help sort it out.

Black Powder Bill
12-19-2018, 07:33 PM
I live very close to a sportsman's club, the week of thanksgiving is the busiest week of the year there with Pa deer season starting the Monday after thanksgiving. I try to keep the range clean burn papers pick up brass, steel, and aluminum empties. I have been doing this for over ten years. I have a pretty full 12ga box of brass fired out of the wrong gun, at first I was like oh while someone must of got distracted or grabbed the wrong thing in a hurry. Now after doing it for so many years it really scares me about peoples own safety. They always showed the 20ga in a 12ga barrel at the hunter safety class there are a whole lot of cartridges biased on the 3006 and 308, I guess for some people it is easy to just throw a round in and pull the trigger. I will be following this to see if you get a chance to figure out what it is chambered for.We had a dud container at my old club. I use to empty it. Let's say some of the cartridges cases were one of a kind.

Texas by God
12-19-2018, 10:20 PM
My first ex BIL fired a .243 in a .270 by mistake. The neck blew off, acted as a sabot, and the shot landed in the group. He looked puzzled when he extracted the fired case......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rockrat
12-19-2018, 10:40 PM
With a .276" ish bore, then it could be a 7mm groove, so the plausability of it being a 280 is there.
As said, a chamber cast will tell alot

Black Powder Bill
12-20-2018, 10:07 AM
With a .276" ish bore, then it could be a 7mm groove, so the plausability of it being a 280 is there.
As said, a chamber cast will tell alot

It didn't chamber a 280 cartridge, not even close

Black Powder Bill
12-20-2018, 10:09 AM
My first ex BIL fired a .243 in a .270 by mistake. The neck blew off, acted as a sabot, and the shot landed in the group. He looked puzzled when he extracted the fired case......

OH I looked ,poked,scraped ,picked at,brushed,patched looking for a neck or a jacket.

oldblinddog
12-20-2018, 07:00 PM
OH I looked ,poked,scraped ,picked at,brushed,patched looking for a neck or a jacket.

Those 7-08’s fireformed to the shoulder in the chamber which, being of longer body, used up the neck of the 7-08. I saw an 8mm Mauser case that looked like that after being fired in a 30-06 chamber. The primer was flat too. This is a really bad way to determine what a chamber is.

Black Powder Bill
12-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Those 7-08’s fireformed to the shoulder in the chamber which, being of longer body, used up the neck of the 7-08. I saw an 8mm Mauser case that looked like that after being fired in a 30-06 chamber. The primer was flat too. This is a really bad way to determine what a chamber is.I didn't shoot those 7m08's! He picked the ctgs up at another LGS and brought them to show us.

oldblinddog
12-20-2018, 07:15 PM
I didn't shoot those 7m08's! He picked the ctgs up at another LGS and brought them to show us.

I didn’t think (or mean to imply) that you did. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Jedman
12-20-2018, 07:15 PM
I know of a guy who fired a 7.62 X 39 out of a 243 Win bolt rifle.
Can you imagine the pressure it took to push a 31 cal. Jacketed bullet down a 24 cal. bore ?
I was told the gun was unharmed ? ��

Jedman

RED BEAR
12-21-2018, 11:40 AM
black powder bill my problem is i just love the really old and unusual were chamber gauges are no available. so a chamber cast is a must. you can't imagine how many times i have bought old guns from shops only to find they are not the caliber stared. they have no way to easily check so they take who ever traded it in's word. or in some cases guess. the better shops will tell me they are not sure. a very few others act indigent when you say it wasn't the caliber they said don't return to these in fucture.

Black Powder Bill
12-21-2018, 12:14 PM
black powder bill my problem is i just love the really old and unusual were chamber gauges are no available. so a chamber cast is a must. you can't imagine how many times i have bought old guns from shops only to find they are not the caliber stared. they have no way to easily check so they take who ever traded it in's word. or in some cases guess. the better shops will tell me they are not sure. a very few others act indigent when you say it wasn't the caliber they said don't return to these in fucture.Red Bear, oh I would have cast the chamber but the customer declined the work.
I never did ask why he purchased the rifle with unknown caliber. It was an auction deal. I see many of them here. Everyone works on the big money saving deal.
A few months back one came in with a stuck .308 case in a 7. Something.

Another phone call I got a Savage Varnint 223. Got a really great deal on it. I called the factory and they tell me it has a 1 in 12 twist. What twist do you think it is?

How do I know I have to see it to check it.
He got to hunt hogs with & wants to shoot a heavier bullet.

Guy wants me to buy a flintlock muzzleloader. Price is fair I know I can clean it up and flip it.
Tells me it has a Douglas Barrel on it rattles off all this stuff I say any pictures?

picture show up later that day dawns filthy hasn't been cleaned and it has a Green Mountain Barrel on it.

He tells me ya, I was at a reenactment this weekend. we were firing blanks I just haven't cleaned it yet.

A guy over on a muzzle loading form I'm on now. Bragg's he can clean both of his muzzleloaders in 10 minutes and he's never taken a lock apart, you don't need to.
he's got a couple thousand subscribers on his YouTube channel and everyone thinks he's great.
What can I say

Texas by God
12-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Early Mini 30's sized a .310"-311" bullet down to .308" with every shot. .284" to .277" is pushing it but I can see how gun and shooter survived.
Ron Spomer admitted to firing a 7-08 thru his Dakota single shot 25-06 once. No harm to gun or shooter according to him And Dakota....
Be careful and Merry Christmas.

john.k
12-21-2018, 07:40 PM
I had a Garand with a corroded barrel............I demonstrated to a friend how it would fire 308s without a problem.......anyway he bought it off me,and continued to use surplus 308 s in it...he says....."they got a lot less recoil than 30-06."...........its a bit like trying to explain to a woman... why water goes in the radiator,oil goes in the engine.

WILCO
12-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Confused as to why you would even get involved with someone who doesn't want a chamber cast?
Also, why chance a lawsuit?

Black Powder Bill
12-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Confused as to why you would even get involved with someone who doesn't want a chamber cast?
Also, why chance a lawsuit?He brought the rifle in & wanted to know what was wrong.
I told him & gave him the opportunity to pay for a casting.

Multigunner
12-22-2018, 08:52 PM
I've often wondered if a 7.62 Nato could be fired in a 7.5 French chamber. If so it might explain some of the recurring myths about they can use our ammunition in their guns but not the other way around.
I ran across a Vietnam bring back cut down MAS 36 years ago, a Viet Cong rifle.

Even if the ammunition couldn't be used as is discarded or lost cartridges would supply powder and projectile for reloading.

fatelk
12-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Just speculating, but I would imagine that the shop that sold the guy the 7-08 ammo did a simple check comparing a bullet to the bore diameter, then seeing what would fit in the chamber. I'm surprised that they arrived at the 7-08 instead of the much more common .270 Win.

As to why the gun was undamaged: though the bullet is oversized for the bore (increasing pressures), the chamber is also oversized for the cartridge (lowering pressures). Shooting a 7-08 in a .270 chamber is effectively the same as loading a 7-08 powder charge and bullet in a .270 case. That's the only reason numbskulls can shoot an 8mm Mauser round in a 30-06 and live to tell about it.

m.chalmers
12-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Early Mini 14s sized a .310"-311" bullet down to .308" with every shot. .284" to .277" is pushing it but I can see how gun and shooter survived.
Ron Spomer admitted to firing a 7-08 thru his Dakota single shot 25-06 once. No harm to gun or shooter according to him And Dakota....
Be careful and Merry Christmas.

Mini "30" 7.62x39mm NOT mini "14" .223 Rem

Texas by God
12-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Mini "30" 7.62x39mm NOT mini "14" .223 RemThanks! I went back and fixed it. I still call my brother's mini 30 a "mini 14" it's just subliminal I guess.....

Black Powder Bill
12-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Just speculating, but I would imagine that the shop that sold the guy the 7-08 ammo did a simple check comparing a bullet to the bore diameter, then seeing what would fit in the chamber. I'm surprised that they arrived at the 7-08 instead of the much more common .270 Win.

As to why the gun was undamaged: though the bullet is oversized for the bore (increasing pressures), the chamber is also oversized for the cartridge (lowering pressures). Shooting a 7-08 in a .270 chamber is effectively the same as loading a 7-08 powder charge and bullet in a .270 case. That's the only reason numbskulls can shoot an 8mm Mauser round in a 30-06 and live to tell about it.He purchased the rifle at an auction. I see many like this. Good deals and everyone is a mystery.