PDA

View Full Version : Barrel-Frame gap in an Encore

guninhand
10-05-2008, 10:11 PM
A hot .308 load blew a primer & I had to punch the brass case out from the muzzle. No apparent damage to the gun except now it might not be closing as tight as it use to. I can get a 0.004 inch feeler guage between the top of the end of the barrel and frame.

What is this gap supposed to be?

The round was from a large batch of blastin' ammo reloads using moly coated 149 grain surplus FMJs, reloaded on a Dillon. TIA.

Singletree
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
The max gap between barrel and frame is .004. The point of measurement on the frame being the firing pin housing. The under lug on the barrel will bend opening up the slot the locking bolts go into. If severe there will be up and down movement of the barrel when locked up. If not bent to badly accuracy will suffer. Any bending at all is not a safe condition and will addressed by the factory if you return the barrel to them.

guninhand
10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Singletree. I haven't tried putting other barrels back on it to make a comparison, have to get ready for a hunting trip.

largom
10-06-2008, 11:10 PM
A Bellm oversized hinge pin might tighten it up some. Definitely would not hurt it. I have them installed in my three Encores.

Larry