PDA

View Full Version : Coleman white gas stove and lantern

jimlj
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Do you have either one and use it?
I've been around them all my life (60 years). Dad had both and we used them all the time while camping. In 1980 when I got married my wife and I bought one of each. We have used the lantern quite a bit, but the stove I'd guess had only been used a dozen times in the last 38 years. I just about gave the stove away a few years ago, but the guy I was trying to give it to didn't seem too interested so it stayed in my garage. Last winter the power went out about the time we were cooking breakfast so I dug out the old Coleman and fired it up. I had forgotten they were a bit finicky to get going, but after they get lit and warmed up it worked great. I know I've used the stove more in the last year than it was used in the previous 37 years. I'm glad the guy I was trying to give the stove to was too busy looking the gift horse in the mouth to take it.

Smoke4320
12-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Yes I keep 2 coleman gas stoves just for power outages. Between it and the wood stove I can about cook anything when weather turns bad

bob208
12-18-2018, 11:21 AM
I have both the lantern gets used the most. when the electric goes out I cook on the wood stove in the living room. I think my stove needs a rebuild the o rings are in bad shape.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2018, 11:29 AM
I'm a big fan of the coleman units, I have several Stoves and three lanterns. I rarely use a lantern, but have several uses for the Stoves. I have one stove that is dedicated to melt Lead and/or Wax. I have a large one for large pot cooking/canning, brewing beer, or whatever type of cooking that is better done outside of the house.

I use regular gasoline, it is soo much cheaper, and burns almost as good, but the regulator needs cleaning often, due to automotive gas additives.

woody1
12-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Several of each here. My first lead melter was a large one burner Coleman. Use an old two burner regularly outside as per JonB above. Have a mountain place where Coleman is the light source unless I fire up the current bush. In fact I have my grandfather's Coleman lantern which dates to the 1920's.

A good source of information here: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/

Larry Gibson
12-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Still have mine for some camping and emergency power outages. The propane stoves and lanterns are a lot easier and handier to use however.....

Tatume
12-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Mine are clean and ready to go. When you said

Last winter the power went out about the time we were cooking breakfast so I dug out the old Coleman and fired it up.

it raised a red flag for me. In case anybody reads this and wants to use a gasoline stove or lantern for emergency purposes, be aware that they produce carbon monoxide (CO) and are not safe to use in enclosed spaces. People have died doing so.

Take care, Tom

ShooterAZ
12-18-2018, 12:22 PM
I have one white gas stove, and two lanterns. One of my lanterns is Forest Service marked from the 1960's I believe. I pretty much ruined my white gas stove by smelting lead on it, but it still works. I purchased another stove and one more lantern in propane. I still use the lanterns for camping and hunting each year. I agree with Larry, the propane versions are a bit easier to use.

trapper9260
12-18-2018, 12:24 PM
I have both ,but use the stove more then the other. it was my parents stove and lantern.
I like to ask on this is for the old gas stove. Can you use anything else beside white gas safely ?

Tatume
12-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Can you use anything else beside white gas safely ?

I use regular gasoline, it is soo much cheaper, and burns almost as good, but the regulator needs cleaning often, due to automotive gas additives.

Apparently.

Edward
12-18-2018, 12:29 PM

it raised a red flag for me. In case anybody reads this and wants to use a gasoline stove or lantern for emergency purposes, be aware that they produce carbon monoxide (CO) and are not safe to use in enclosed spaces. People have died doing so.

Take care, Tom

No more than my gas kitchen stove ,I use mine all the time indoors / just not in a closet with the door shut !

Tatume
12-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Actually, gasoline stoves produce a lot more CO than a gas kitchen stove.

Bulldogger
12-18-2018, 12:37 PM
I have two Coleman stoves. I wanted one, but they guy selling them had two when I met him and well... More is better right?

I agree that propane is easier to use, but those bottles don't last as long as they might, and you have to carry around the propane bottles, so I consider the gas stove to be better in the long run.

I think it is a testimony to good design that the Dual Fuel Coleman stoves are STILL for sale new, after all these years.

BDGR

MostlyLeverGuns
12-18-2018, 12:43 PM
I have long used regular unleaded in my stoves and lanterns, before unleaded, regular gas worked but would foul the generator faster. In the high country the stove fuel was difficult to start while unleaded burned much better. I have used a single burner Coleman to cast many bullets. When horse packing, the propane tanks add a lot of weight so the Coleman lanterns and stoves using the liquid fuel provide more run-time with much less weight.

James Wisner
12-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Yes I have a couple of Lanterns and a stove as well. Have had them it seems forever.

Mater of fact the first latern I was given belonged to my Grandfather, it is labeled Sears.
Dad rebuilt it about 35 years ago and I keep it in the machine shop for just those days the power goes out.

I fire it up once a year to check it out, it has never failed me.

JW

jonp
12-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Lantern. Not sure how old but was my fathers. I used quite a bit and two summers cruising timber out west. I always keep it ready to go. Just remember to have extra mantles on hand and to change the fuel or store it empty. The red case with the flat base to set it in is a great help and a few packs of mantles sit between the base and bottom of the lantern.

Coleman stove is propane

brass410
12-18-2018, 02:27 PM
have coleman stove and lantern that burn white gas (naptha) and coleman propane stove and lantern both work equally well one set lives in my boat and one set lives in my camping /hunting rig. Have had them over 30 years, now kinda like a timex watch, take a lickn and keep on tickin.

metricmonkeywrench
12-18-2018, 03:48 PM
We stupidly let go of our 2 burner Coleman several years ago, but when we got the RV and sold the tent it mostly collected dust. I do still have my lantern but bad storage let it rust a little, so its set aside for a restoration project.

Used to love to hear the hiss of the generator as lit up the campsite and attracted every bug in the county... real camping.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-18-2018, 04:31 PM
I have both ,but use the stove more then the other. it was my parents stove and lantern.
I like to ask on this is for the old gas stove. Can you use anything else beside white gas safely ?

I use automotive gas, preferably not a Ethanol-gas mix, also preferably Non-Oxy Gas for off-hyway vehicles, as that has less additives then normal automotive gas. While I think it is just as "SAFE", you should be aware that the additives will carbon up the regulator, after several tanks full, the regulator should be cleaned. If you put off cleaning it too long, you loose the linear adjustable, it's becomes more of a ON - OFF type of thing, making it somewhat dangerous, in that you have less control of the flame.

One time, I put off the cleaning it, until the Regulator was stuck and I could not even disassemble it, to clean it. So i just removed it and installed a regulator I salvaged from another stove I had laying around. You can buy a new regulator for about $15-$20...But I find old beatup rusty stoves (to use for parts) for a buck or two at garage sales. One time, I found a vintage "brand new in the box" small Coleman stove at a garage sale for $12....I bet that mint vintage Cardboard box, with it's advertising on it, is worth more than $12?

frkelly74
12-18-2018, 05:29 PM
I got a propane stove last summer at a yard sale because I found that my daughters gasoline stove was kind of balky and did not realize it was easy to clean the generator which is probably all it needed. We are going over to her house tomorrow and I will look at it.

You do need to bring a tiny funnel with you for the gasoline. That has been a problem in the past.

frkelly74
12-18-2018, 05:46 PM
I had my grandfathers old gasoline stove that we had repainted rustoleum silver and that was reliable and easy to use. But the third time I had to clean out a massive mouse nest from it I deemed it unrecoverable, it was quite nasty and corroded by that time. We had used it camping and in a canning kitchen we had set up when we were just starting out. I think papa may have got it used way back.

lightman
12-18-2018, 06:00 PM
I've got one of each, probably about as old as yours. I also have a propane lantern that I like maybe a little better.

skeettx
12-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Yes and Yes, I use the Colman stove when I go to Mexico on mission trips
Mike

Petrol & Powder
12-18-2018, 06:56 PM
I have a real fondness for pressurized kerosene lanterns and stoves but I do have a couple of Coleman gasoline stoves.

There is a REAL benefit to simple gear.

The gasoline/white gas units are a bit easier to start than the kerosene units and they are certainly more common in the U.S.A. than kerosene units. The pressurized kerosene stoves and lanterns require pre-heating to start but they work beautifully once you get them up to temperature. The kerosene units produce very little odor once you get them going but I love the smell when you shut them down; reminds me of the smell of jet exhaust :-) (OK, I'm a little weird in that regard)

I still have a single burner gas Coleman stove that I sometimes use for casting. I pretty much keep that to remind myself that I could cast without electricity if I wanted to. A quart of unleaded gas will make a lot of bullets.

The stoves used for cooking don't come anywhere near lead or the stuff used with lead. .

I'm in search of a gas generator and needle for an Optimus 200P kerosene lantern, if anyone has one.

Elkins45
12-18-2018, 06:57 PM
I occasionally use a gas stove to smelt, but it’s been a long time since I’ve used my lantern. The new led lights and rechargeable batteries are so much easier to deal with. No heat and no fragile mantles.

Petrol & Powder
12-18-2018, 07:15 PM
I occasionally use a gas stove to smelt, but it’s been a long time since I’ve used my lantern. The new led lights and rechargeable batteries are so much easier to deal with. No heat and no fragile mantles.

You'll get no argument from me about the convenience of batteries and LED's !
In terms of ease of use, run time and safety; the new LED lanterns are hard to beat. A small solar panel to recharge the batteries during the daylight hours can extend the usefulness dramatically provided you have good weather conditions during the daytime.

However there is just some type of touchstone to be around a pressure lantern in the evening and a camp stove in the morning. I think the old pressure lanterns will fade from mainstream use but I'll keep my old Optimus kerosene units going as long as I'm around.

EDG
12-19-2018, 01:39 AM
The local thrift store often has used Coleman stoves and such that they sell cheap. I have 3 or 4 like new stoves stored in the attic.
I have 4 or 5 of the Coleman single burner stoves. One of the singles was new in the box. It was never even fueled.

MT Gianni
12-19-2018, 01:50 AM
I have a 3 burner and a single burner stove. At least two maybe three gas lanterns.

Walks
12-19-2018, 02:33 AM
Started my own Camping setup the first week I seperated from the U. S. NAVY. June 1975
Answered an ad in the "Pennysaver" , got a used 2 mantle Lantern, a small 2 burner stove, an 8'x10' tent and a 54qt steel ice chest.
All Coleman in their boxes, used once.
$100 Cash
Added a used 3 burner stove a couple years later.
$10 , it did need a new generator.
All of it still works great. About every 5 years I buy a fresh gal. of fuel, put a little fuel in each tank & fire them up. Let them run dry.
Have extra parts for every single one of them.

Plus I have a propane Stove & Lantern that I got to make camping easier on my Wife ( me actually ).

Except 4yrs in the Service, I've pumped up Coleman stoves & lanterns ever year of my life since I was about 7-8yrs old. Since about 1961

WarEagleEd
12-19-2018, 03:17 AM
I have a dual fuel Coleman two mantel lantern I bought new a few years ago and an old Sears (made by Coleman) white gas camp stove that belonged to my grandfather that still works. I use the lantern on a regular basis in the winter. I fire up the stove ever-so-often just to make sure it is still working. I did have to replace the fuel tank cap on the stove as the original wouldn't seal well enough and, therefore, pressure would not build up in the tank (kept the original, though).

My parents have an older Coleman propane lantern that takes those propane canisters that are no longer available. Coleman made an adapter so that it could run off of a propane tank. We don't have that adapter, so the lantern just sits in a box.

GregLaROCHE
12-19-2018, 03:35 AM
I used a two burner on top of my wood cook stove for years, when I didn’t want to start the wood stove.
I’ve had a number of lanterns and a one burner for packing. I once tried a camping gas stove, because it was light. The first morning I tried to make coffee with it, it was almost too cold for the gas to flow. I ended up getting a small flame going and put the canister in the water I wanted to boil. Things slowly heated up and I got coffee. When I got home I threw it in a corner and never used it again.

mold maker
12-19-2018, 10:15 AM
My first pair was bought for catfishing in 1958. Carried it on a bicycle 6 miles to the river along with tent and fishing gear. A second set (1966) was bought to camp with my new family. Other stoves have been purchased from pawn shops.
Sometime about 1970, I won an AIDA (German) kerosene lantern. I've since bought a knockoff and use them all in emergencies and a two burner to melt small volumes of lead.
They're just as relevant today as 50 years ago. When the power fails or modern appliances break, Coleman products still serving us as always.
I use reg gas and regularly clean the generators.

rking22
12-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Still have my single burner peak1 stove and lanternthat I bought in 1980, and an old 2 burner from a junk store. Daughter and I cooked over the single for a week a couple years ago on a camping trip. I have shifted to a small stainless wood gasifier for my solo hiking and camping with an alcohol beer bottle stove as backup or for just a quick cup of something hot. I just enjoy cooking over open fire, and woodsmoke is good for relaxation! Don't use the lanterns much due to the LED performance, that and I like the dark and use very little light when camping, or outside around home for that matter. I love kerosene lamps, wick type, and use them when we want area light at times. Even then, I almost bought 2 Coleman lanterns in a pawn shop just this week! From the 60s and in really good shape,, may compromise and buy just 1!

Three44s
12-19-2018, 11:21 AM
I grew up around family friends at camping time who had gas lanterns and stoves. My father tells a story why he likely never went that direction but instead propane:

Way back before propane weed burner torches were in vogue, there were gasoline fired torches. These torches were notorious about ungenerating. When they did they acted more like a military flame thrower. My dad was working on a old four cylinder gas motor mounted on a land leveler that you pulled behind a Cat. The motor on the pull scraper ran the hydraulics on it.

The gasoline torch ungenerated, lit the gasoline fuel system afire (he was trying to thaw ice out of the sediment bowl), the solder melted on the fuel tank and dumps the tanks contents onto the machine, with plenty ending up on the scrapers four rubber tires setting them on fire as well.

Somewhere in the Malay, my father went from improvising fire fire fighter to save the shop mode. Luckily the Cat was running and he jumped from the scraper to the seat of the D7 and pulled the burning mess away from in front of the shop to the middle of open area and mitigated damage at the new location the best he could.

He was not materially hurt and tells me that in pretty short order he got the scraper running without much supplies bought or heavy repairs, perhaps on the same day even! I am just guessing but I figure that iced up sediment bowl was thawed out at least by the time the fuel tank went. My father loves telling the part about the big Hiroshima cloud shooting above the machine as the tank opened up.

This happened when he was a young adult and I think it jaded him towards propane.

Best regards

Three44s

Three44s
12-19-2018, 11:33 AM
I have not told my father about it but I do have a gasoline fired plumber’s burner. I have not fired it up yet and I am very much into propane tools for smelting but as I am also into history I could resist snagging that gasoline model out of curiousity.

You can rest assured it will not be used around any structures ..... lol!

Best regards

Three44s

atr
12-19-2018, 11:38 AM
I have both lanterns and stoves. When I was recovering from my operation part of my therapy was to find and rebuild Coleman lanterns and stoves. I kept two stoves and 15 lanterns. I keep them around partly for emergency use and as collectors items, i.e. they were all American made. During the Christmas season I hang all the lanterns outside and fire them up.
I don't think I ever paid more than $5.00 at the local thrift store for the ones I rebuilt.

dagger dog
12-19-2018, 01:35 PM
I have a Coleman single burner butane stove for backpacking, a dual burner gas stove, 3 lanterns 2 gas and 1 propane, plus a propane catalytic heater.

pete501
12-19-2018, 03:59 PM
I am a recovering Coleman lantern aficionado. At one time I had more than 100 lanterns hanging in the rafters. All types, single, double, Coleman, Sears, Camp Lite, Thermos, Military, Forest service, chrome ones, factory cases.

The affliction came about when I broke a lens and noticed that the price of a new lens was more than I could buy a lantern at yard sales. My mantra was Less than $5 I would buy it. Stoves too.

Liquidating the lantern collection didn't take long. The first victim cherry picked the collection taking rarer and pristine lanterns. The remaining were bundled into one huge lot and sold for about ten bucks each. The buyer traveled 250 miles one way and filled the bed and passenger compartment of his full size truck.

Selling the gas stoves was a bit challenging, the customers responding were mostly homeless and had no transportation.

I still see coleman lanterns and stoves for under five bucks at yard sales. My new mantra is Just say No (in most cases).

Thin Man
12-19-2018, 09:08 PM
We have several Coleman stoves and lanterns, even a pair of the early production red lanterns. Every one of these is ready to go to work and may be called on at any time - power outage, fishing trip, camping, etc. My first stove was a small 2-burner that got semi-retired when we got a larger 2-burner. The smaller one sat in the attic for so long it quit moving fuel from the tank to the burners. I considered buying a replacement tank but the prices on these were too high to suit me. With nothing to lose I disassembled the valve and finally removed the valve body from the tank. When I got the stem out of the tank I found that the strainer screen had a solid cover of a white material all over it. This was why the tank would not send fuel to the burners. I sprayed carburetor cleaner on the screen 2 times each from above and below, then reassembled the tank. The stove worked so well after that repair I gave it a detailed cleaning and more respectful care.

We are fortunate to have a Coleman outlet about an hour away in a tourist trap area. They are handy for finding all of the commonly needed parts, as well as several of the less than common parts. Beyond that I have a vendor on evilbay who uses the screen name "auctionthat." He has to have an "in" with the Coleman factory from the vast selection of inventory he displays. There have even been times when I did not see what I wanted to buy on his site, sent him a message and he answered that he had it and would post it as available. Very handy site for the Coleman enthusiast.

GregLaROCHE
12-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Does anyone remember how many bugs those lanterns attracted, when they were the only light in the wilderness?

NyFirefighter357
12-19-2018, 10:36 PM
I have a bunch of Coleman gas lanterns, I've heard too many stories of them catching fire. It happened to my buddy and his friend while fishing in a canoe. They had to jump ship. I wouldn't use them anywhere except ice fishing, which I don't do much anymore. I use the propane type Coleman lanterns and stoves. I also have changed to L.E.D. camping lanterns as well as an old Aladdin Kero mantle lamp with shade. Old pressurized gas/kero units are just ticking time bombs, rust, metal fatigue & old seals. I grew up using the pressurized gas units in the house for power outages for light & heat. Now I use a generator.

Crash_Corrigan
12-19-2018, 11:35 PM
I have two green tanked Coleman lanterns that run on gas. I also have a two burner gas stove that I bought off a workmate... It was old and dented when he got it. I cast over 6,000 boolits using that stove to melt wheelweights and radiator shop slag to make a decent casting alloy.

FLINTNFIRE
12-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Well for bugs like any light hang them away from where you sleep ,i hate propane stoves and lanterns cost more , oh I dont use coleman fuel as your bent over for that , use gas works and cheaper , yes propane is so called easier oh wait have had numerous tanks not empty but not light yes I know all about propane freezing in colder weather its only used here for old style plumbers pot and it is a nice unit , been melting lead for 25 years with this setup . Coleman gas lanterns are the sweet thing stoves well if you keep them clean and pumps oiled they work good , use what you like but kerosene and old gas lanterns will be running when the grid is down and nothings to be found ... Well wood and older cooking but so sad how many can not ,better to be prepared in more then one way then to do without as your style is unavailable .

GregLaROCHE
12-20-2018, 07:42 AM
The
I have a bunch of Coleman gas lanterns, I've heard too many stories of them catching fire. It happened to my buddy and his friend while fishing in a canoe. They had to jump ship. I wouldn't use them anywhere except ice fishing, which I don't do much anymore. I use the propane type Coleman lanterns and stoves. I also have changed to L.E.D. camping lanterns as well as an old Aladdin Kero mantle lamp with shade. Old pressurized gas/kero units are just ticking time bombs, rust, metal fatigue & old seals. I grew up using the pressurized gas units in the house for power outages for light & heat. Now I use a generator.

Maybe today, what you find is old, maybe rusted and the seals leak. When I used them, they were still in good working order. Sometimes a seal would leak, but a quick turn on the nut would stop it.

I had a lot of friends who used unleaded gas. Most would stock up on the part we called the generators. They didn’t cost much back then and was easier just to change out. I always used Coleman fuel. Yes it was more expensive, but I also had a catalytic heater to heat the airplane engine in the winter. It would be ruined with unleaded. There was a handy spout that fit on the cans. It was spring loaded and fit right into the fill hole. Made life a lot easier. Now they have them for chainsaw gas.

mold maker
12-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Does anyone remember how many bugs those lanterns attracted, when they were the only light in the wilderness?

Yep! I made a long lantern hook to hang off the side of the boat, away from us for that reason. It attracted lots of fish within cane pole reach, feeding on the bugs. It also attracted schools of minnows that made bate easy to reach.
Crappies were a staple at my table and the Coleman helped feed us.

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2018, 07:32 PM
There's an art to running a pressurized lantern or stove that some people "get" and some people will never "get". I can't explain it but I've seen it. It has nothing to do with intelligence; some people are just not mechanically inclined.

Anyone can turn on a battery powered lamp and there's something to be said for that.
Most folks can get a propane lantern to work.
A pressurized gasoline lantern requires a bit of skill but it's a fairly simple device.
A pressurized kerosene lantern has a little longer learning curve but can be very rewarding when you master it.

rking22
12-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Kinda like cast bullets vs jacketed vs just buying factory loads :cbpour:

RogerDat
12-21-2018, 02:22 AM
Several folks have posted that they have fairly extensive experience with Coleman stoves. I need some help identifying a model so I can order the correct replacement seal. Two burner stove that once had a small fire which burned the plastic label with the model number. Second burner was blown out by wind, flooded then ignited by first burner. Interesting times - no panic just closed lid but.... no model number now.

I'm hoping that from measurements or picture someone with a wider knowledge can provide me with a model number so I can order the seal. The leaking seal is behind the cone nut that holds the valve in. The shaft from the valve knob goes through the cone nut. Leak is around the shaft. If the seal has a known name that would be a bonus to know that.

I would appreciate any assistance, just drop me a PM. I too have seen the stoves in thrift stores etc. I just don't like the idea that this stove will be "wasted" for lack of this one minor part.

I am still kicking myself for not buying the duel fuel single burner for $8 at a garage sale. I have the old Peak 1 single burner but aside from sitting very tall so less than steady it required a lot of that "mechanical aptitude" mentioned to get it lit without flooding into a fireball. Big generator with 30% not over burner. Found this stuff was really helpful to pre-heat the generator, essential for ease of lighting in cold weather. https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8607-3-75-oz-Fire-Paste/dp/B07D6X5F7K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=X6JBQSD6VCX99GECDRAW Was pretty useful in warm weather too.

Two burner green lantern, one burner red lantern, Peak 1 stove, and the smaller 2 burner that leaks. Big old heavy duty 2 burner is on permanent loan to one of the grown kids for their family camping. Also have one of the butane/propane square stoves packed in the camper. It works but is pretty flimsy. If it breaks I'm more likely to cut it up for gas check stock than repair it. :-(

I also have two of the old mushroom top catalytic heaters. Not the safest piece of equipment but darned effective at heating a space. Would run for many hours on low and keep a cabin tent tolerable in mid January. The 5 ft. flame sometimes experienced when lighting them was also good for some entertainment value.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2018, 06:49 AM
was told unvented propane wall furnaces are dangerous too. My learning disabled son has a small one bedroom apartment off of the garage and has been heating it with on for 6 years (and we have WINTER here) his co2 alarms (he has two) have never made a peep. A half hour cooking on a gas coleman stove sure isn't going to put enough co2 in the air to kill you unless your cooking in a 4x4 closet. My guess is your local mechanic breaths 10 times as much every day in his shop just from cars pulling in and out. If I was that afraid I sure wouldn't be casting bullets out of lead. Wouldn't eat meat or drive my car on a road that actually had other people driving in the other lane either.

Take care, Tom

GregLaROCHE
12-21-2018, 07:02 AM
For those worried about flame ups during preheating, you can always preheat with a propane torch.

Tatume
12-21-2018, 10:30 AM
This is just the first article I found when I searched on "carbon monoxide and Coleman stove."

Abstract:
Small commercially available camping stoves of four different brands (Optimus, MSR, Coleman and Sigg) were examined for carbon monoxide emission. Without a pot placed onto the stove the carbon monoxide production is very small (below 5 ml per min) which hardly represent any danger. The carbon monoxide production increased significantly for all the four brands (range from 20 to 140 ml CO per min) when the stoves were used for cooking i.e. when a pot of water was placed on the stove. This may represent a danger if the stoves are used within an enclosed area without adequate ventilation (e.g. in a tent). Our measurements give reason to warn especially against the brand Coleman.

https://forsvaret.no/en/CustomContent/Carbon_monoxide_emissions_from_camping_stoves.pdf

woody1
12-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Several folks have posted that they have fairly extensive experience with Coleman stoves. I need some help identifying a model so I can order the correct replacement seal. Two burner stove that once had a small fire which burned the plastic label with the model number. Second burner was blown out by wind, flooded then ignited by first burner. Interesting times - no panic just closed lid but.... no model number now.

I'm hoping that from measurements or picture someone with a wider knowledge can provide me with a model number so I can order the seal. The leaking seal is behind the cone nut that holds the valve in. The shaft from the valve knob goes through the cone nut. Leak is around the shaft. If the seal has a known name that would be a bonus to know that.

I would appreciate any assistance, just drop me a PM. I too have seen the stoves in thrift stores etc. I just don't like the idea that this stove will be "wasted" for lack of this one minor part.

I am still kicking myself for not buying the duel fuel single burner for $8 at a garage sale. I have the old Peak 1 single burner but aside from sitting very tall so less than steady it required a lot of that "mechanical aptitude" mentioned to get it lit without flooding into a fireball. Big generator with 30% not over burner. Found this stuff was really helpful to pre-heat the generator, essential for ease of lighting in cold weather. https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8607-3-75-oz-Fire-Paste/dp/B07D6X5F7K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=X6JBQSD6VCX99GECDRAW Was pretty useful in warm weather too.

Two burner green lantern, one burner red lantern, Peak 1 stove, and the smaller 2 burner that leaks. Big old heavy duty 2 burner is on permanent loan to one of the grown kids for their family camping. Also have one of the butane/propane square stoves packed in the camper. It works but is pretty flimsy. If it breaks I'm more likely to cut it up for gas check stock than repair it. :-(

I also have two of the old mushroom top catalytic heaters. Not the safest piece of equipment but darned effective at heating a space. Would run for many hours on low and keep a cabin tent tolerable in mid January. The 5 ft. flame sometimes experienced when lighting them was also good for some entertainment value.

I think I posted this here before but here is the place to find/get the info you need and they're good folks just like most on here.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/

If you look far enough on the coleman collectors forum you'll be directed here too:

https://terry-marsh.com/

You can prob'ly ID your stove by using Terry's website.

blackthorn
12-21-2018, 02:52 PM
In 1963, at age 22, I got a special use permit on a two-chain square piece of lake shore land in the BC interior. I set out to build a cabin. In 1964 I bought a two-mantle lantern. That lantern never worked properly as it would start fine but as soon as it warmed up the light would pulse rather than give a steady light. Now, in those days we were living from pay cheque to pay cheque and there was little to no money for anything. I was ticked with that light! So, I started to collect lanterns/lamps from yard sales etc. Some were kerosene and some were white gas. Over time I learned a few things about Coleman lights (and stoves). My first lesson involved my acquisition of a two-mantle lamp. It had a small cup that slid over the generator stem. OK, that’s weird but I filled the tank with white gas, set the lamp on the kitchen table, lit a match, turned on the gas and promptly got a four or five foot flame shooting up toward the ceiling. Well, that’s not good thought I as I franticly shut off the gas and carried the flaming lamp outside to let it go out. Well, no harm done other than losing the hair off my arms and a bit of stinging skin, so what now? Called my Dad in Manitoba who informed me the lamps with the little cup used kerosene and the cup needed to be filled with alcohol, lit and allowed to burn almost out to pre-heat the generator before you turned on the kerosene. Kind of a pain, so what to do? Well, the alcohol in the cup just pre-heats the generator so lets try a match, still using white gas. Works a treat, as long as you heat the generator, and then turn on/off the gas, allowing only a bit of gas to be released until the mantles flare up and you can then turn on the gas full-bore. This trick works with the Coleman kerosene lanterns as well, but later I discovered the generators from the white gas lanterns interchange with the kerosene ones. I still use some of those lamps in my cabin now, although I am switching to propane lights mounted on twenty pound tanks. The old lamps/lanterns had the “Sunshine of the Night” logo stamped into the metal tanks and just below the logo there is a year/date stamp. Some of my lamps go back into the 1920’s. I recently sold most of my lanterns/lamps along with some spare parts to a dealer as part of a general accumulation down-sizing.

gwpercle
12-21-2018, 05:02 PM
I have both , left over from the days when our family getaways had to involve camping because it was all we could afford, young, married , two children and little income.
Nothing beats a double mantle Coleman Lantern for light output ! The electric lanterns are ok but battery life is short..... The gas Lantern is the light out champion in my book !
Gary

Petrol & Powder
12-21-2018, 07:50 PM
Ah......yea......you have to pre-heat kerosene lanterns. And yes, that is why there is a cup for alcohol under the generator.

GregLaROCHE
12-23-2018, 11:42 PM
I had a Coleman kerosine lantern once and a cook stove too. I used the stove the most and would always preheat it with a propane torch.

For permanent installation, you can buy propane wall lamps that work great. I used them for years.

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2018, 06:58 AM
yup and I can find an article that says eating eggs is going to kill you or drinking a can of soda. Anything you buy today comes with some kind of warning. bought a new winch cable for my jeep last weekend it had a label on it that said lifting or pulling heavy loads with this cable can cause injury and death. yup and you can die from a heart attack trying to shovel or walk your way out of the woods too. Surprised shoe makers don't have to put a label on them saying that walking can lead to heart attacks.
This is just the first article I found when I searched on "carbon monoxide and Coleman stove."

Abstract:
Small commercially available camping stoves of four different brands (Optimus, MSR, Coleman and Sigg) were examined for carbon monoxide emission. Without a pot placed onto the stove the carbon monoxide production is very small (below 5 ml per min) which hardly represent any danger. The carbon monoxide production increased significantly for all the four brands (range from 20 to 140 ml CO per min) when the stoves were used for cooking i.e. when a pot of water was placed on the stove. This may represent a danger if the stoves are used within an enclosed area without adequate ventilation (e.g. in a tent). Our measurements give reason to warn especially against the brand Coleman.

https://forsvaret.no/en/CustomContent/Carbon_monoxide_emissions_from_camping_stoves.pdf

firefly1957
12-24-2018, 05:55 PM
I do all my bullet casting on a Coleman stove , I have 5 of them two are for if i need to cook on them one is in reserve and two covered with lead splatter! I have two Coleman lanterns have not used in 10 years just have not had the need of them.

Last week i took an old gas stove out i got at a yard sale for 50 cents cleaned it up and ran it, it is a Kampkook i looked on the internet and found it was made in 1928 ! Still works fine a bit of rust in places but decent shape.