PDA

View Full Version : Frankfort arsenal co axial press

zymguy
12-17-2018, 08:27 PM
I have a lyman all american 8 , I dont think im a turret press guy. I change my dies all the time and they are too close together in the turret for my liking. Id really like a forester co axe but they are backordered everywhere. While perusing the midway sight i noticed Frankfort is comming out with a press. Looks like the dies will mount into a bar . Anyone know anything about these? Any one delt with Frankfort customer service, are they a good company ?
Ben

jmort
12-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Interesting
They make many good and useful products

daboone
12-17-2018, 10:33 PM
I hope it contributes innovations in the evolution of all SS presses. I'm to old to investigate as my old Bonanza CO-AX was and now is my dream SS press. It is what the 550 is to the Loadmaster just perfection.

dverna
12-17-2018, 10:58 PM
I bought my CoAx when Bonanza made it....no regrets ever. I think it was $68 back then. A lot of money for a young guy starting out.

Reddirt62
12-18-2018, 12:40 AM
If you can hold out for a Forster it will be well worth the wait! A most excellent press.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Clark
12-18-2018, 01:50 AM
I made a lot of the parts for my co-ax presses and could really only improve on the shell holder jaw housing and screws.
I wanted quick change from 223 jaws to 7mmRM jaws while blindfolded. Some machine shop owner on Long Range hunting figured out what I did 10 years earlier.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/835282/frankford-arsenal-single-stage-press?fbclid=IwAR33Zt_eAcAlfQH2AF0BqcqRrNbiFViiiT8 nqbCu7VC9SsGfVVq3OrRGPOY

It looks like a completely new jaw holder housing system.

I just paid the $20, but it does not look like I can upload a picture yet.
I will come back some other day.

I paid another $10 just now, pics still not uploading, my limit is reached.

onomrbil
12-18-2018, 10:49 AM
It's a WEB SITE. I guess a web sight is a view, somehow, of the www from above?

EDG
12-18-2018, 12:13 PM
The FA press looks like a better design than the COAX but that is normal. The guide shafts are much heavier.
Usually design iterations make for better and better designs.
Name almost any mechanical device that does not get better over 50 years of development.

mdi
12-18-2018, 12:54 PM
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/frankford-arsenal-co-ax-clone.844503/ Here's a discussion on the FA Co-Ax. I don't think it will be any threat to the Forster Co-Ax. Mine is excellent and any "cons" are so minor I don't pay much attention to them. I'd put my order in now and wait for the best...

jmort
12-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Since no one has used one, it is impossible to pass judgment on it. May be a great press. But not sure how we can say it is bad press in a vacuum. I could not care less what The High Road forum thinks about it. I say more options are better and hope it is a fantastic press at a fair price.

airone46
12-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately I do not speak English and I use the computer translator: for this reason I do not know if my thoughts will be correctly translated,
From the photos I see that the ram are on a back plane with respect to the dies and the shell holder / case. for this reason MY OPINION is that the press behaves like a "C" press. That is, there are forces of torsion, perhaps of very small entity, and without any influence, but there are!
So without having tried it is impossible to give an opinion!
I believe an alignment rams-dies-shell holder, as in the CH press

No ebay links please

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000

it would have worked better!

country gent
12-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Looked at midways pics of the press. Not a bad looking press and innovative in some ways. The larger guide rods may make for a stiffer stronger support. The rods are fixed and the shell holder block slides on them, couldn't tell if they ae bushed or not, but this would make a rebuild when needed much easier as wear will be on rods and block not spaced out over the height of the frame. Shell holder seems a little different. One thing I noticed right off is it appears to use a modified 7/8" 14 nut ( set screw added) for die rings, this will be easier to make more of when needed and not a special purchase or big job to make like current die lock rings are. This looks like a standard nut faced to thickness and a set screw added. Bulk nuts can be bought reasonable. faced to correct thickness easily ( a spider for the lathe chuck push the nut in and face to thickness) drill and tap a 10-32 screw hole ( again a simple set up in drill press) and a package of bulk 10-32 X1/4" long brass set screws.
The floating die and shell holder make for a very accurate set up if machined square and true this should be a very fine press

mdi
12-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Since no one has used one, it is impossible to pass judgment on it. May be a great press. But not sure how we can say it is bad press in a vacuum. I could not care less what The High Road forum thinks about it. I say more options are better and hope it is a fantastic press at a fair price.
I posted the link for members to see what another forum discussed. The discussion was typical of reloading forums as most just voiced their opinion based a pic or two. Same thing happens here. I didn't consider your feelings about another forum and the posts above mine were kinda sketchy. I just added to the thread...

flashhole
12-19-2018, 09:40 PM
I hope it applies price pressure to the Forster product. I owned a Co-Ax. I didn't think it was a great press. I like the ones on my bench now better than the Co-Ax.

EDG
12-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Most of the people that use the Coax are just reloaders. They do not do heavy duty case forming or bullet swaging. The COAX is not really designed for heavy duty use. It has an exceptionally long stroke for the operating handle that reduces the operator's effort. Result is Forster offers a short handle for those folks who get tired of the long stroke just fo some pistol round. There is a reason why compound leverage presses are more popular than the Coax. Many of my operations would break the die lock ring that retains the die in a Coax.

jmort
12-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Makes sense

wildcatter
12-20-2018, 12:30 PM
I had a couple turret presses a coaxial and a couple single stage over 40 tears ago, but when I bought a Rock Chucker the single stages as well as an old T-Press went down the road. Then over 30 years ago I bought a Dillon 550, that is when the rest were found useless except the R.C. I have two metallic presses on my bench today a Dillon 550, and Old RCBS Rock Chucker,,,, don't see how I could have anything better for everything.

castalott
12-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Interesting. It appears to be more compact than the Coax with the same advantages. Costs a little less too. I'm not sure about the lock rings. They look 'thick' and would be special.

I like using different presses for different things. ( Ultra mag to size tough stuff and the Coax when precision is required, etc.etc.etc.....) I'd like to see one in person to decide...

Drew P
12-20-2018, 12:52 PM
The FA press looks like a better design than the COAX but that is normal. The guide shafts are much heavier.
Usually design iterations make for better and better designs.
Name almost any mechanical device that does not get better over 50 years of development.
Vice grips.

Drew P
12-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Id like to try this press but when I had an “over the top” swing press (rcbs summit) I found that the reach of my arm up one over the press was far more exertion and strain than pushing down and up with the stroke of a conventional press. That press was sold almost immediately and I can say it was one of the worst purchases I’ve ever made in this hobby.
So I’m left wondering what role these type presses fulfill.

I don’t like the fancy looking die blocks but I’m wondering if two regular rings could be substituted

Geraldo
12-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Looked at midways pics of the press. Not a bad looking press and innovative in some ways. The larger guide rods may make for a stiffer stronger support. The rods are fixed and the shell holder block slides on them, couldn't tell if they ae bushed or not, but this would make a rebuild when needed much easier as wear will be on rods and block not spaced out over the height of the frame. Shell holder seems a little different. One thing I noticed right off is it appears to use a modified 7/8" 14 nut ( set screw added) for die rings, this will be easier to make more of when needed and not a special purchase or big job to make like current die lock rings are. This looks like a standard nut faced to thickness and a set screw added. Bulk nuts can be bought reasonable. faced to correct thickness easily ( a spider for the lathe chuck push the nut in and face to thickness) drill and tap a 10-32 screw hole ( again a simple set up in drill press) and a package of bulk 10-32 X1/4" long brass set screws.

Did you take a look at them? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/462367/frankford-arsenal-reloading-press-die-blocks-pack-of-3 That's going to take a lot more than facing them to size.

mdi
12-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Most of the people that use the Coax are just reloaders. They do not do heavy duty case forming or bullet swaging. The COAX is not really designed for heavy duty use. It has an exceptionally long stroke for the operating handle that reduces the operator's effort. Result is Forster offers a short handle for those folks who get tired of the long stroke just fo some pistol round. There is a reason why compound leverage presses are more popular than the Coax. Many of my operations would break the die lock ring that retains the die in a Coax.

This is why I have appropriate tools for specific jobs. I wouldn't consider a crescent wrench to remove lug nuts. I have a Co-Ax and if I were to do anything "too heavy" I'd just use my arbor press. Yep, the Forster (and Bonanza) Co-Ax are reloading presses. I buy screwdrivers to install/remove screws and not to use as a pry bar. I have ball peen, claw, brass and plastic hammers, and use each for the job they were designed for...

Would you use Fg black to reload your .243?

castalott
12-20-2018, 05:22 PM
I se a cottage induxtry here. Someone will make a sleeve that fits on top of a normal die ring. Just add it to the normal die with ring and push it in the press. Voila! One sleeve to just be changed to every locked die/ring. Wouldn't that work easy?

castalott
12-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Put it on the bottom would be even better....

MT Chambers
12-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Either press could be set up upside down to use it for sizing bullets (without lubing of course), instead of using the Star.

country gent
12-20-2018, 06:34 PM
I only looked at them in the press pic on midways site and seen the front. Would have to acquire a couple to measure out now, to see how hard they would be to make up. Midway lists them as a dies casting on their site, This does explain the added thickness to them.

castalott
12-21-2018, 12:00 AM
Hmmmm.... Midway raised the price from $209 to $249 in the last few hours...

Drew P
12-21-2018, 01:45 AM
That puts it within a few bucks of the Forster. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

Firebird
12-27-2018, 12:54 AM
The "yoke" on the new press looks even shorter than the original Co-Ax yoke. It's design needed to be changed to allow use of the micrometer seating dies, which usually don't clear the yoke of the handle. Had to replace the yoke on my Co-Ax press when I started shooting a Savage 338 Lapua at long range - Forster will sell any part of the Co-Ax as a replacement part.

GARD72977
12-27-2018, 01:25 AM
I bet Midway runs them on sale for the original price of 209.

mdi
12-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Either press could be set up upside down to use it for sizing bullets (without lubing of course), instead of using the Star.

You would have to figger a way to keep the sizer ram in the press, the jaws open automatically when the handle is returned to the full down position.

I was seating some 45 ACP bullets yesterday when I remembered a complaint about "long handle throws" and noticed I was grabbing the yoke to operate the handle. I guess if you had to hold the end of the handle it might be "too long", but I don't often need to use that much force...

6.5 CM
12-27-2018, 04:12 PM
Why anyone uses a "one die at a time" press when Redding makes their turret model is beyond me. I have 3 and 9 turrets. Guess what I never do ? Yup don't wear out die and press threads. For handguns I use the Lee turret, again, no die swapping and ammo that works 100%. I have many Forester dies as they are excellent.

GARD72977
12-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Why anyone uses a "one die at a time" press when Redding makes their turret model is beyond me. I have 3 and 9 turrets. Guess what I never do ? Yup don't wear out die and press threads. For handguns I use the Lee turret, again, no die swapping and ammo that works 100%. I have many Forester dies as they are excellent.

Accuracy........

zymguy
12-27-2018, 04:55 PM

I have a turret I don’t like it because it is more cumbersome to change or adjust a die . I like to change things up , setting a set of dies up and never changing them doesn’t appeal to me , if it did I’d probably buy a Dillion . There’s a thread in the stickies that talks about the difference between a reloader a hand loader and a caster . Do what you enjoy , but for me if the goal is to get a shell every pull of the handel , I may as well just buy them .
We’re all enjoying our hobby for different reasons and we’re all goofy about something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdi
12-27-2018, 05:21 PM
FWIW; I have been reloading for 35 years. I have some of my original Lee dies that still get used. I have an old used press I bought in '88 (I think it was manufactured in the '60s), and I haven't worn out any threads, on dies or presses. On most presses, the wear on the ram/frame is critical and that takes perhaps hundreds of thousands of rounds. Never heard of wearing out (?) threads...

I have used Lee's turret presses, and yep, no die swapping is needed, but I now own the best press I've ever operated and it's a "one die at a time" type. It's a Forster Co-Ax...

6.5 CM
12-27-2018, 09:10 PM
To suggest that a Redding turret press cannot produce accurate ammo is just silly.

Once a die is set up properly in a turret it is and will stay more accurate than any press where dies are changed every time.

I'd suggest you buy Top Grade Ammo by Zediker and see how it's done.

mdi
12-28-2018, 12:44 PM
Ease up CM. Nobody said turrets were inaccurate. The post you are referring to had one word "Accuracy". Many reloaders get better accuracy with their single stage presses. I got excellent accuracy with my Lee turret. I think there may be a better chance of getting repeatable handloads is a die is adjusted every time it's switched,and it's not a "set it and forget it". No big deal, no need to justify/champion a T-7 as every body knows they are an accurate, well made press...

6.5 CM
12-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Not how I read it. Tubbs and Zediker use turrets and I'd opine, make batter ammo than any of us.

zymguy
12-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Not how I read it. Tubbs and Zediker use turrets and I'd opine, make batter ammo than any of us.

Assuming your not claiming that a turret is inherently more accurate are there any benefits beyond speed ?

Do you put a spent case in your turret and not remove it until it’s a finished cartridge?

I do not . I decap off the press with a FA space gun . I like to do it in front of the Tv. Even if I did decap on the press this would still be a point where the case came off the press. I dry tumble in walnut , I believe if I were wet tumbling I’d have to do so decapped . I also prime off the press . So the first stage back on the press is sizing the next (assuming bottle neck rifle ) is flare then it’s time for powder. I charge w an electronic dispenser so we’re off the press again back for the final die.
So the way I operate i only save time /prevent removing the case from the press once . With bottle neck cartridges I save going from size to flare. With straight wall pistol I save when I seat the bullet and crimp in two processes ( but that’s uncommon for me ) So for me any time savings is probably lost adjusting a die cramped between two others .

I could be talked into keeping it, what’s your process?

mdi
12-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Well, maybe I just should toss my Forster Co-Ax in the trash, get a Redding turret and start name dropping. Mebbe I'l get some accurate ammo (my 7/8" groups from my 308 must be pretty bad because I assembled them on my Co-Ax). :bigsmyl2:

jmort
12-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Once I saw what David Tubbs could do with a 550 I had to buy two.

MT Chambers
12-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Relax folks, the Forster CO-ax will remain the ultimate press for making accurate ammo and quickest of cal. changes, also works good upside down for sizing bullets without lubing them.

HangFireW8
12-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Precision Shooting had a good article some years back where a 550 user measured COAL differences and shell holder deflection with one versus several catridges on the press. There was a lot of variation between them.

I did the same tests on my Hornady ProJector and duplicated the results (different values of course but same issues found).

Of course careful single cartridge loading on the 550 can greatly reduce that OAL variation. Or you can just use a single stage.

The CoAx also gives runout advantages. I can duplicate results with indexed dies on my RC, but it is just easier on my CoAx.

6.5 CM
12-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Y'all might want to read Dec Handloader where they review a Redding turret that loaded 1,000,000 + rounds for Sierra bullet company. We all know that Sierra makes junk bullets so who cares what equipment they use ? I won't recap the story, you need to read it on your own.
LOL!

6.5 CM
12-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Hmm-- deaf-fing silence.

jmort
12-30-2018, 11:42 AM
No doubt the T-7 is worth owning.
As are most presses.
There is no single best press for everyone's needs.

zymguy
12-30-2018, 05:23 PM
I have a lyman all american 8 , I dont think im a turret press guy. I change my dies all the time and they are too close together in the turret for my liking. Id really like a forester co axe but they are backordered everywhere. While perusing the midway sight i noticed Frankfort is comming out with a press. Looks like the dies will mount into a bar . Anyone know anything about these? Any one delt with Frankfort customer service, are they a good company ?
Ben

As GREAT as the t7 is , it does not suit my needs . I still haven’t heard from anyone who delt with FA customer service??

6.5 CM
01-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Wonder why a T7 would not suit anyone's needs (unless you need a progressive) ? Good enough for Sierra to load 1,000,000 rounds but not for a reloading hobbyist ?

But, then again, people still buy 310 tools.

Dan Cash
01-01-2019, 11:06 AM
You would have to figger a way to keep the sizer ram in the press, the jaws open automatically when the handle is returned to the full down position.

I was seating some 45 ACP bullets yesterday when I remembered a complaint about "long handle throws" and noticed I was grabbing the yoke to operate the handle. I guess if you had to hold the end of the handle it might be "too long", but I don't often need to use that much force...

Forster/Bonanza offer an adapter for conventional shell holders which will accept the push through sizer ram. Inverted press bullet sizing seems a waste with this type press.

LUBEDUDE
01-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Wonder why a T7 would not suit anyone's needs (unless you need a progressive) ? Good enough for Sierra to load 1,000,000 rounds but not for a reloading hobbyist ?

One reason is that many don’t understand how to use a manual Turret as it was designed. Some are just stuck in that “batch”single stage mentality; and think the extra holes are for convenient die storage- not there’s anything wrong with that.

jmort
01-01-2019, 12:17 PM
I doubt the function of turret presses is lost on anyone. Manually moving a turret-turret head two or three times for a single load may not be everyone's cup of tea.
I would own a T-4 with reasonably priced tool heads that are easy to swap out.
That Sierra has one seems completely irrevelent to me. Get what you want, use what you want.

mdi
01-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Hmm-- deaf-fing silence.
Nope. Just nobody cared to reply...

zymguy
01-01-2019, 04:01 PM

My biggest complaint is it’s a pain to swap or adjust dies when there are two others so close

doulos
01-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Ok ....somebody explain why the Co Ax is so accurate. I like the die quick change ability. But I have that on my Rockchucker and my Redding Big Boss2. Easily done with Hornady LNL bushings. I like the primer system on the Co Ax. But I use hand primers. Is the fact that the die floats a bit really make ammo more accurate? Im not bashing the press at all. Just pleading ignorance about its benefits.

HangFireW8
01-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Hook up a dial indicator and find out for yourself!

doulos
01-06-2019, 11:00 AM
can you explain?

mdi
01-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Don't know about other reloaders, but I was curious about cartridge "run out". I bought a Hornady gauge and tested some recent handloads; 308 Win., LC brass, IMR 4895, under Hornady 155 gr. A-Max bullets. I used Lee dies, no crimp. I was surprised to see just .0015"-.0025" runout (I wasn't sure so I reread the instructions and rechecked several. Same readings). Maybe that contributes to a Co-Ax's accuracy?

HangFireW8
01-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Mdi,

That's rather good. It is when you find the occasional .015"+ then you realize where unexplained flyers come from.

Duolos,

With a magnetic base firmly in place on the press base, the dial indicator on the die will show you how much rise (up) and ( mounted sideways) deflection (over) your press allows. You are not just looking for low values, but consistent ones. You need to test deflection at least twice, at 90degree angles, measure a statistically significant number of sizings/seatings, and use different types of brass.

But the real test is the finished product, as mdi tested.

doulos
01-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Thanks
Ive been reloading a long time. But 99.9% of it has been pistol cartridges. I didnt worry about bullet runout.
So how does the Co ax die mounting assist in alleviating this problem?
Mdi,

That's rather good. It is when you find the occasional .015"+ then you realize where unexplained flyers come from.

Duolos,

With a magnetic base firmly in place on the press base, the dial indicator on the die will show you how much rise (up) and ( mounted sideways) deflection (over) your press allows. You are not just looking for low values, but consistent ones. You need to test deflection at least twice, at 90degree angles, measure a statistically significant number of sizings/seatings, and use different types of brass.

But the real test is the finished product, as mdi tested.

ulav8r
01-06-2019, 08:07 PM

Can't afford to buy a co-ax just to test it for deflection.

HangFireW8
01-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Thanks
Ive been reloading a long time. But 99.9% of it has been pistol cartridges. I didnt worry about bullet runout.
So how does the Co ax die mounting assist in alleviating this problem?

It has less lateral tension of the die on the cartridge at max extension (end point of case sizing or boolit seating).

The design concept is different than most single stage presses. It's an in-line press. Instead of relying on a strong metal frame to try to keep things aligned, it lets the die float and align itself with the shell.

For typical C or O presses, they may start out aligned (or not), but the more you crank down on the handle, the more they flex up and out. But accurate ammo can be loaded, by batching brass, using consistent handle pressure, and indexing the die's eccentricity versus the presses' eccentricity.

HangFireW8
01-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Can't afford to buy a co-ax just to test it for deflection.

Sorry for the confusion. On a co-ax, for lateral deflection you'll probably watch the die move around more as it self-aligns. The lateral deflection test is useful in comparing different O and C presses.

The range of vertical deflection test will still be relevant.

zymguy
01-06-2019, 11:12 PM
I reload more straight wall pistol cartridges than I do bottle neck rifle. Is there any advantage to the co axe style presses over any other single stage in pistol reloading?

HangFireW8
01-07-2019, 12:16 AM
I reload more straight wall pistol cartridges than I do bottle neck rifle. Is there any advantage to the co axe style presses over any other single stage in pistol reloading?

Speaking for both, probably no advantage for accuracy.

Speaking for the Forster only, the quick die changes are faster than LnL or Breech Lock, but the universal shell holders are only faster if you don't have to flip from large to small, then standard shell holders will change faster.

I don't have/haven't tried the Frankfort, so not sure there.

mdi
01-07-2019, 12:49 PM

I reloaded for 30 years before I got my Co-Ax. I find that nearly everything is better on my Co-Ax than my Lee turret or Boss, or the other "O" presses I've owned. I like the shell holder jaws; just drop a case on the jaw block and raise the handle, no sliding a case in a slot (which can be a huge benefit when processing Garand brass). For some swapping jaws maybe a task, but it only takes me less than one minute. I often prime singly so the individual primer feeding is no big deal for me and priming is very positive. Shell holder jaws for the priming are easily adjusted. Some complain about the long handle throw, but I often find myself just grabbing the yoke and operating the press. It takes longer to think about die changes than to think about die changes. As mentioned above floating dies and floating case holding adds to accuracy. I have sized bullets on my press, quite easily swaging .004" off some of my cast bullets. Nope, it isn't as fast as a Dillon progressive, but I don't have a quota, and rounds per hour, to me pertains to firing rate of automatic machine gins. Ease of operation, accurate/precise reloading are keys to my liking the Co-Ax.

I've only seen a few pics of the FA Co-Ax so I can't compare that press to a Forster/Bonanza...

daboone
01-07-2019, 02:01 PM
I agree 100% with MDI’s above comment. I know I’m a low post count member but like MDI I’ve been loading for a long time (60+ years) on single stage presses. I don’t believe it makes it “better” reloads but CO-AX has a feel and simplicity of operation that made handloading easier and more enjoyable.

castalott
01-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Frankford Arsenal M-Press (NEW): Unboxing and Complete Overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZP4uMN_LY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZP4uMN_LY

jmort
01-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Interesting video
Thanks

LUBEDUDE
01-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Looks like a well thought out system for a lot of reloaders.

Boy, he sure has a rock solid mounting system. I never saw that press shift at all.

Thanks for posting that video Castalott. :p

EDG
01-13-2019, 12:39 PM
No
A Vise Grip IS an improvement of conventional pliers.

Vice grips.

mdi
01-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Interesting. If the materials are quality and fit and finish are on, this press might be competition for the Forster...

tinsnips
01-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Looks to me like they are trying reinvent the mouse trap . I have a Forester coax that has been my favorite for years. Good luck to them.

pressonregardless
01-13-2019, 03:29 PM
I have a feeling this press is going to sell well, but I think I'd still like to try &
find a Co-Ax that I can afford.

mtnman31
01-13-2019, 04:46 PM
Different strokes (of the press) for different folks.

I'll stick with my RC and Dillon 550 presses for now.

troyboy
01-13-2019, 10:07 PM
Looks like an imported copy. I make a habit of buying American where possible.

rbstern
01-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Frankford Arsenal M-Press (NEW): Unboxing and Complete Overview

Looks good. Enough different about it that it's a nice alternative, rather than a knock-off.

2011redrider
01-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Looks good. Enough different about it that it's a nice alternative, rather than a knock-off.

Until you have to buy the die blocks and case @ 15.00 for 3 die set. After 3 sets you could have bought the Co-ax and use regular die rings. Most reloaders have more than 3 die sets.

jmort
01-16-2019, 04:12 PM
That is inaccurate. After 6 or 8 sets you are getting there.
Buy it, don't buy it. Why do people care who buys whatever they want?

castalott
01-30-2019, 08:30 PM
SHOT Show 2019: Frankford Arsenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjAMH-1eqlw&list=PLMSoK2a_PqY7Zpc7gq-rWkqKqE_SXtmFN&index=8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjAMH-1eqlw&list=PLMSoK2a_PqY7Zpc7gq-rWkqKqE_SXtmFN&index=8

rbstern
01-30-2019, 09:15 PM
Looks like they did a very nice job on the design.

castalott
02-05-2019, 04:13 AM
bump so I can find it

Love Life
02-05-2019, 06:23 AM
The only thing I don’t like is having to buy the die blocks to hold each die. I’ll probably get one because I like how it can be mounted with no over hang.

HangFireW8
02-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Seems thoughtful and well designed. While I don't like the proprietary shell blocks, 3 for $15.99 is not bad. While Forster uses a particular size die ring, you can use any die ring that size or smaller. Also the correct ones are cheap.

If I did not already have a CoAx or wanted another now (given CoAx availability problems), this would be a contender.

zymguy
02-07-2019, 08:14 PM
I got an e-mail while I was at work from midway saying co axe was back in stock . When I got home I tried to order and midway said out of stock over due

zymguy
02-07-2019, 10:27 PM
I got an e-mail while I was at work from midway saying co axe was back in stock . When I got home I tried to order and midway said out of stock over due

The email was for the forester . I saw a video from SHOT show that said March for the Frankfort

Blindshooter
02-23-2019, 12:37 PM
If anyone is interested

http://www.armslist.com/posts/9542349/madison-wisconsin-reloading-for-sale--bonanza--forster--co-ax-reloading-press

doulos
02-25-2019, 09:16 AM
I like some of that presses features. Like the way it can be mounted. I dont see the die mounting blocks as a negative for that price. And as far as being not made in the USA. I dont think most of RCBS equipment is anymore. But RCBS has about the best warranty dept and customer service response around. If Frankford Arsenal is similar I wouldnt worry about it.

Love Life
02-25-2019, 10:17 AM
There is a lot to like about this press. I want to get one, but I already have 2 single stage presses and a Dillon RL 550B.

onelight
02-25-2019, 10:45 AM
There is a lot to like about this press. I want to get one, but I already have 2 single stage presses and a Dillon RL 550B.
I am with you ,would love to have one but absolutely have no need for it.:cool:

Love Life
02-25-2019, 11:43 AM
I may still get one after I pay the tax man. I think it checks a lot of boxes for me.

Preacher Jim
02-25-2019, 11:45 AM
has anyone actually seen one of these presses or tried one yet?

mdi
02-25-2019, 12:42 PM
"No need" is not a valid excuse. You're among friends here, so saying "I want" is understood. I have several "just 'cause I wanted one" tools...

doulos
02-25-2019, 03:25 PM
"No need" is not a valid excuse. You're among friends here, so saying "I want" is understood. I have several "just 'cause I wanted one" tools...
Ditto
I dont "need" most of the stuff I have now. But I get bored quickly with stuff. Some stuff I just "have to try". Some of it Im not impressed after I try it. Some stuff I am. But wont know until I try it.
Reloading equipment is cheap when compared to some hobbies. And the tools usually last a lifetime.

Love Life
02-25-2019, 03:45 PM
This press looks to be everything the RCBS Summit press should have been. I’m gonna dump the Summit and get on the Frankford Arsenal’s.

dragon813gt
02-25-2019, 08:25 PM

Hey, don’t enable me more. I have a few presses “just because I wanted them”. They include an A series RCBS, Pacific Super Mag and Dillon 450. Outside of the Dillon the others don’t get used much. I guess they’re sort of an investment. “Just because” is why I have more lube sizers then lubes I use. Those purchases make no sense. I did have fun refurbishing them so I guess it wasn’t a total loss [emoji23]

jmort
02-25-2019, 08:26 PM
This press looks to be everything the RCBS Summit press should have been. I’m gonna dump the Summit and get on the Frankford Arsenal’s.

I doubt you will be disappointed
I will be joining you

Love Life
02-25-2019, 08:30 PM
I doubt you will be disappointed
I will be joining you

If you get one before I do, please let us know how you like it.

Pros:
Small footprint
No overhang
Floating dies (not really that big of a deal)
Good primer collection system.
Universal shell holder
LED light
Solid construction

Cons:
No priming system
Have to buy die blocks

Wayne Smith
02-26-2019, 11:00 AM
I stopped when he said "you have to be careful not to crush the die blocks" - I load a lot of calibers and make brass for several. I don't want to have to be careful not to crush any part of my press.

jmort
02-26-2019, 12:08 PM
If you get one before I do, please let us know how you like it.

Pros:
Small footprint
No overhang
Floating dies (not really that big of a deal)
Good primer collection system.
Universal shell holder
LED light
Solid construction

Cons:
No priming system
Have to buy die blocks

Will do
I prime off the press and do not mind the blocks
Will probable pick a couple calibers to load and see how it goes