PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Rock Chucker Lineage

newfoundlander
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Out of curiosity can anybody clarify the lineage of the various Rock Chucker standard models (exluding the JR and the Mk1V Supreme ? In other words what makes a RC a RC and not a RCII? I'd also like to know when the RCII with the black flat steel arms was introduced and if this was intended to be the RCIII.

Pressman
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I am not really up to speed on the later Rockchucker's but here goes anyway. A Rockchucker is a Rockchucker and remained that way for years - until they began tinkering with the design in the late 70's/early 80's. The first change is a switch to powder coating rather than green crinkle paint. There is a short lived variation here that used blued steel linkage arms in an attampt to reduce production costs. Customer feed back was negative so they went back to cast. The RCII is the new and improved Rockchucker and I do not have intro dates for it.

You just tapped my knowledge of this interesting topic.
Ken

1hole
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
"I'd also like to know when the RCII with the black flat steel arms was introduced"

My RC II was bought in 1988 and has green linkage arms. Wish its primer catcher worked better.

Pressman
10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
According to a paper put out by RCBS in 2007 the steel link Rock Chucker presses were made from 1993-1995. That is probably correct considering the near current date. The paper is available from RCBS but there are many problems with the dates listed for the early presses. They are all wrong, often by several years.
Carefull review of RCBS catalogs, The Gun Digest, Handloaders Digest and magazine ads is required to verify dates of production.
Ken

Ken