PDA

View Full Version : Ballistol--Repackaged or Reformulated?

Bent Ramrod
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Finally got to the end of my first can of Ballistol and need to restock. The old can was mostly white and said "Ballistol Multi Purpose Lube" on it. Now all I can find are green cans with "Ballistol Sportsman's Gun Oil" on them.

Is this the same stuff? I'd be embarrassed to ask, but whenever I go to the store for toothpaste, there seem to be an ever-proliferating number of "Cavity-Eliminating," "Whitening," "Plaque-Reducing," "Gingivitis-Resisting" and other specialty applications, plus new flavors, than the last time I bought any that I have trouble finding the good old "Regular." Eye drops are getting to be the same way. Is it happening with Ballistol as well?

I'm still on my first can of spray Ballistol, and I notice the cans of that stuff still look the same.

montana_charlie
10-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Current Ballistol is no better at preventing cavities, or gingivitis, than it ever has been.
No matter how badly we may want them to modernize their formula, they probably never will.

I haven't tried it as eye drops...
CM

chuebner
10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Direct from the Ballistol website.

BALLISTOL LUBE & BALLISTOL SPORTSMAN'S OIL SAME GREAT PRODUCT, DIFFERENT LABELS

I guess that should clear it up.

charlie

Bent Ramrod
10-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks, guys.

I'd heard it was not only a cleaner and rust-perventative and a leather and wood treatment, but would even work as a wound dressing. Haven't seen any claims for it an eye drops or a tooth cleaner, but who knows?

charlie3tuna
10-06-2008, 01:33 AM
There's only one thing it's not good for.

charlie

chuebner
10-06-2008, 11:39 AM
OK charlie, I'll bite...WHAT???

charlie

montana_charlie
10-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't know what charlie (that other Charlie) has in mind, but I wouldn't use to fry catfish...
CM

ktw
10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know what charlie (that other Charlie) has in mind, but I wouldn't use to fry catfish...
CM

...degrease mold blocks...

-ktw

JeffinNZ
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
The single BEST use is to keep wimmin folk out of your Man Cave! Sheryl can't stand the smell of it.

Potsy
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Ain't that the truth!!
I can put 1 little squirt on a rag to wipe just to wipe off a gun in the morning inside the house and when Libby gets in that afternoon she'll start gagging and acting mad at me.
I try to keep its use relegated to the back porch in the interest of domestic harmony.
I discovered Ballistol about 6 or 7 years ago and while I've never cooked with it or used it in any medicinal or personal hygene application it does all I could ask of it as far as my guns go. Good Stuff.

chuebner
10-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I use a 1:4 mix of Ballistol/water for BP cleaning and swabbing. Guys downwind at the range are always making disparaging comments about my "Brunhilda Sweat". They have no class.

charlie

charlie3tuna
10-07-2008, 12:30 AM
OK charlie, I'll bite...WHAT???

charlie

I was referring specifically to male oriented TV ads.

charlie

montana_charlie
10-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I use a 1:4 mix of Ballistol/water for BP cleaning and swabbing.
That mixture (in a few different ratios) is sometimes called moose milk. I made up a small batch at 80/20 and treated a stack of patches to have them available (pre-moistned) at the range.

Stored in a zip-lock bag, I managed to 'lose' them for a month or two. When re-discovered, the moose milk had begun to mold inside the bag.
The damp patches still worked Ok, but they looked nasty...
CM

JeffinNZ
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
My friend Keith sent me home with three non aerosol cans 3.5 years ago when I visited him in Alabama. The graphics are as described; green prodominantly and read "Sportmans' Oil". Same stuff, just new graphics.

It certainly does seem to be the best thing since sliced bread. Great for everything from cleaning BP to growing back a severed arm!

montana_charlie
10-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Just keep it dry, so you don't develop mold on the stump...

Bill*
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Now ya tell me.... you know how hard it was to get the mold off my stump???

PatMarlin
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Ballistoll ROCKS!

My favorite gun oil and cleaner, and bore cleaner too by the way. Same stuff in the green can.

I want to buy a gallon. I'm running low.

PatMarlin
10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
The best thing yet I've used to clean up hard powder fouling on revolvers also. Specially on stainless. Softens that stuff rightup.

EDK
10-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Ballistoll ROCKS!

My favorite gun oil and cleaner, and bore cleaner too by the way. Same stuff in the green can.

I want to buy a gallon. I'm running low.

Call Dean Becker, the Powderburner, Ballistoll supplier par excellance! Or catch him at a shoot!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

powderburnerr
10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Yessir ,, i just happen to have a gallon setting here just waiting for your call,,,,,,,,,,Dean

PatMarlin
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
What will a gallon cost me to Nor Cal?

reivertom
10-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I could tell by the stink! Good stuff though.