PDA

View Full Version : Henry Golden boy?

buck1
04-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm thinking about a 22LR. Just a fun gun. But I hear words of PLASTIC :shock: !
I cant put my hands on one,as its a order only thing here.
I dont "do" plastic well :roll: . Anybody got one they do/dont like? Thanks.....buck

C1PNR
04-01-2005, 03:54 AM
I thought the Henry stuff was all metal and wood. Is that not true? Geez, I don't think I want to shoot a Plastic(?) lever gun!

buck1
04-02-2005, 01:58 AM
I have heard the bbl bands are plastic. I cant put my hands on one here, but I may just go to a near by town and take a look in the A.M... .......buck

Four Fingers of Death
04-11-2005, 08:59 AM
I have heard the bbl bands are plastic. I cant put my hands on one here, but I may just go to a near by town and take a look in the A.M... .......buck

The plastic they use these days is pretty good, I'd prefer steel or brass, but on a 22, the plastic bands may assist accuracy by having a bit of flex.

Reminds me of a funny story, my friend and his father had a really good gunshop in a shopping centre arcade and I used to drop in and have my lunch whilst sharing a coffee with them. One guy bought in a Remington for rebluing (I don't know if it was a 700 or a 788, I never checked it out closely).

I was there when the guy bought it in and there when he came back a week or so later. We all had trouble not cracking up laughing because the mag follower was alloy and the apprentice was told to clean the parts and put them in the little tray whilst the gunsmith polished the barrel, floorplate/trigger guard and action. When he reassembled the rifle the apprentice complained that they must have dropped the follower. When they discussed it they finally worked out that he put it in with the other small bits and the solution ate it up.

The guy had a good sense of humour and accepted a loaner rifle until the part arrived from the states (6 months later).

KCSO
04-11-2005, 11:41 AM
The Plastic you need to worry about was the plastic feed mechanism in the early Henery's. They changed this to a cast zinc unit in the Golden boys and they are a super gun. If you get a Henery with the plastic feed lips, you will want to order a new unt from Henery. I think the last one I ordered was about 9 bucks.

jh45gun
05-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Not sure if the new 22's still have the plastic barrel bands or are now metal. I have not seen a new one in a while. I do know that Henry does make metal replacement bands as I have them on my 22 mag. I called Henry and they sent me some. FUN gun is the word I love my 22 mag Henry and if I do my part half inch and less groups are the norm at 50 yards with ammo it likes. Even with ammo it does not like it is not picky and shoots good groups. They are nice guns for the money. I really like mine. In fact I like it so well it wears a Leupold 4x M8 scope the most expensive scope I own. Jim