PDA

View Full Version : Henry Single Shot receiver sight ?

FredBuddy
12-16-2018, 04:27 PM
There has been much discussion about the hammer spring
issue on the new Henry SS. That's under control.

However, the rear sight leaves much to be desired.

I just got the .357 mag. Shoots well enough, but for my
close to intermediate range rifles i favor a peep sight
rear and a firesight front. A mighty quick combo.

A Williams WGRS for my 158 H&R fits nicely for
the rear sight, but I'm sure the front sight will need
to be much taller than the factory front bead.

I'm thinking the tallest Williams wide based firesight
might work, or the tallest Skinner partridge option.

Anyone figured it out yet ?

Since these are relatively new on the market,
the usual suppliers of aftermarket sights have not
posted anything for them on their websites.

funigui
12-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Skinner told me if I reached out he would make one for me. I bumped into him on a 45/70 board. I shoot my SS on a scope, so I went with the peep on my levergun

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Foggy1111
12-17-2018, 11:26 AM
I've got skinner sights on a few Marlin Lever guns I own. I really like them in the "pistol caliber" carbine guns and 22's I use for shooting steel plates at our range.....out to 100 yards or so. Really fun for plinking steel plates.

I'm always tempted to put these guns to use for deer hunting.....but my old eyes are not that good at long ranges or in low light conditions.......so I always opt for a scoped gun for deer hunting. Maybe one day I will change my mind.....but that is likely the day the "buck-of-a-lifetime" will show up at about 150 yards standing in thick brush.......and Ill feel like I brought a knife to a gun-fight. ;).

rfd
12-17-2018, 07:22 PM
i'd prefer the williams micrometer rear aperture sight, along with a hooded aperture front sight.

this feller made both happen with is henry h015-223 ....

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/165-henry-repeating-arms-discussion-sponsored-henry-repeating-arms/356810-henry-single-shot-williams-sight.html

FredBuddy
12-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys.

rfd---I saw that outfit. I'm not a machinist,
so I'm limited to store-bought.

My eyes haven't let me down yet, so
I only put scopes on really long range stuff.

Merry Christmas to All !

Tatume
12-21-2018, 02:09 PM
The Skinner rear sight for the H&R Handi-Rifle fits the Henry Single Shot Rifle.

rfd
12-22-2018, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys.

rfd---I saw that outfit. I'm not a machinist,
so I'm limited to store-bought.

My eyes haven't let me down yet, so
I only put scopes on really long range stuff.

Merry Christmas to All !

that williams rear sight can be installed on an h015 rifle with just a bit of filing of the sight platform and no real machining required. that's all it takes and is outlined in that feller's graybeardoutdoors post.

Foggy1111
12-23-2018, 02:11 AM
The Skinner rear sight for the H&R Handi-Rifle fits the Henry Single Shot Rifle.

Will the skinner sight work with the original Henry Front sight?.....or does it need to be replaced? I really like the simplify and good looks of those skinner sights....the ones I have seem to work out well.

rfd
12-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Will the skinner sight work with the original Henry Front sight?.....or does it need to be replaced? I really like the simplify and good looks of those skinner sights....the ones I have seem to work out well.

no, it will not. i spoke with andy skinner back in november about that and he has a special replacement front sight for the henry ($48 - don't think it's listed on his website yet) ...

FredBuddy
12-23-2018, 01:16 PM
rfd:

Now we're talkin'.........

Thanks

rfd
12-23-2018, 04:14 PM
looks like andy added it ...

pietro
12-26-2018, 07:47 PM
A Williams WGRS for my 158 H&R fits nicely for the rear sight, but I'm sure the front sight will need to be much taller than the factory front bead.

I'm thinking the tallest Williams wide based firesight might work, or the tallest Skinner partridge option.

Anyone figured it out yet ?

YOU can figure it out ! :)

1) Place the WGRS in the middle of it's elevation slide.

2) Measure the distance from the middle of the WGRS' aperture, down to the center of a chambered cartridge's primer & write it down.

3) Measure the barrel O.D. @ the muzzle & likewise write the measurement down.

4) Measure the depth of the front sight female dovetail from the top of the barrel there & write it down.

5) Subtract #4 above from #3 above.

6) Subtract the answer to #5 above from #2 above

7) #6 above is the front sight height needed.

Starting with the WGRS in the middle of it's elevation adjustment allows a fudge factor when zeroing the rifle.

FredBuddy
12-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Thanks, pietro.

I made some measurements, but not
in your detail.

Back to work !