PDA

View Full Version : How do I make these wads?

Just Duke
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I have the drill press cutter from Buffalo Arms.
45 caliber,.030 or .060 thickness???
TIA,
Duke

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walters-Veg-Fiber-Wads-SASS-BPCR-Black-Powder_W0QQitemZ190257
064355QQihZ009QQcategoryZ7308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

kodiak1
10-05-2008, 11:36 PM
If you have the cutter chuck her up in a drill press or hand drill. Put a cookies sheet with a piece of plywood, set wad material on wood turn on drill and go to cutting.
It is amazing how little pressure it takes to cut them.

Ken.

Just Duke
10-06-2008, 12:11 AM
If you have the cutter chuck her up in a drill press or hand drill. Put a cookies sheet with a piece of plywood, set wad material on wood turn on drill and go to cutting.
It is amazing how little pressure it takes to cut them.

Ken.

Sorry I guess I should of worded it better.
I need to know where and what material to get to make the wads.
Thanks for the input though.

Bent Ramrod
10-06-2008, 01:32 AM
The .030" wads I got from Cabela's appear to be made from automotive gasket material. They have printing on one side of them.

Check at an auto parts store. Also, a crafts store might have sheet cork in the right thickness.

I'm having pretty good luck with the thin corrugated cardboard that is used to stiffen calendars for mailing.

montana_charlie
10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry I guess I should of worded it better.
I need to know where and what material to get to make the wads.
Thanks for the input though.
What = vegetable fiber, LDPE (plastic), cork, felt, wax paper, newsprint, cardboard. and leather (to name a few).

Where = Veggie fiber and LDPE can be bought at the same place you got the punch. Gasket material can be found at NAPA (and similar) in 1/16 (.060") and 1/32 (.030") thicknesses.
A good source for felt is http://www.durofelt.com./image_26.html

Use your imagination for the rest.
CM

KCSO
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Being cheap I use old felt hats!

13Echo
10-06-2008, 05:52 PM
There are any number of things that have been and are being used for wads. Commonly available and perfectly useable materials include tablet backing cardboard, cereal box cardboard, waxed mild carton, LDPE from various plastic lids and containers, sheet cork, hat felt, automotive gasket material (makes the so called fiber wads), newspaper, wax paper, etc. Sheets of good wad material in various thickness are available from Buffalo arms. I tend to use .030" Ldpe and a single thickness of waxpaper in the .45-90 or just a single thickness of waxpaper in the .45-70. I've also had good luck with tablet backing and milk carton. So the answer is try em and see what works.

Jerry Liles

Buckshot
10-07-2008, 02:50 AM
................I'd sure buy the veggie fiber gasketing from Enco; www.useenco.com as it's cheaper! :-) Also bar coasters make good wads.

...............Buckshot

Just Duke
10-07-2008, 02:54 AM
................I'd sure buy the veggie fiber gasketing from Enco; www.useenco.com as it's cheaper! :-) Also bar coasters make good wads.

...............Buckshot

That's what I'm looking for and thanks all!!!! :drinks:

Hip's Ax
10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
The fellow thats teaching me this game uses orange juice carton and newspaper wads. Buy the reloading press mounted wad cutter from Buffalo arms and stop throwing your juice cartons and newspapers out. [smilie=1: