PDA

View Full Version : Ugg Flashlights!

Blammer
12-16-2018, 01:08 AM
Why can't I find a flashlight with 2 modes. bright and dim.

most have 5 modes and you have to cycle through them to get to the one behind it. Say you're on dim and want bright, you have to go to low then strobe then SOS to get to bright.

arrgh! where can I find a zoomable one with two modes!

tim338
12-16-2018, 08:30 AM
Using a flashlight everyday for work I have tried many. Coast make a decent flashlight and some have bright/dim mode and the lens is adjustable. I personally like Streamlight. I have the Stinger model and love it. It has 3 modes of brightness very clean light and its rechargeable. It is a bit more expensive than most flashlights but you get what you pay for.

farmerjim
12-16-2018, 09:05 AM
The klarus XT2CR, and I think several others have 2 switches. one is the mode, the other is the brightness.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-16-2018, 09:36 AM
I carry this https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld22-g2-led-flashlight-2015-edt/ yes it has the 4 settings on off at the end cap low and high
on the side just leave it on the setting you want I leave mime on low then if i need more light I just tap the switch on the side hands down
this is the beast flashlight I have owned for pocket carry it's part of my EDC now

RedlegEd
12-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Hi. +1 on Streamlight. You didn't say what you wanted it for (other than two modes and zoomable.) I carry the MicroStream USB Rechargeable (https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/microstream-usb) at work. It's shirtpocket small, rechargeable, has a two function rear button...momentary or on, and it's really bright for its size. You couldn't use it for jacklighting, but it's perfect for a loading bench/work light, tactical use, carrying on the plant floor, etc. The pocket clip even has a reverse mode so you can clip it to the bill of a cap to make it handsfree. Street price is about $30, but it's a quality light with a limited lifetime warranty. I wish you good luck finding what you want...maybe Santa will bring you one! :) Ed

jonp
12-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Why can't I find a flashlight with 2 modes. bright and dim.

most have 5 modes and you have to cycle through them to get to the one behind it. Say you're on dim and want bright, you have to go to low then strobe then SOS to get to bright.

arrgh! where can I find a zoomable one with two modes!

WalMart

WheelgunConvert
12-16-2018, 08:58 PM
O light S1
Terralux lightstar

rockshooter
12-16-2018, 09:33 PM
costco
Loren

Rick R
12-16-2018, 10:00 PM
For the past month I’ve been carrying a AAA Maratac light from CountyComm. It’s small but puts out light enough to see @20 yards at night. It has medium-low-high settings that you turn on and off by twisting the head. It sounds awkward at first but works pretty well.

https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-light-products/products/copper-maratac-aaa-flashlight-rev-3

They have several similar lights depending on your wants.

samari46
12-16-2018, 11:42 PM
Walmart sells the streamlight flashlight that has some optional depending how you set it up. But for some folks including me I use the default setting as in either high or low intensity light. Don't have it handy right now but I will check if wanted and give you the model number. I believe it has a Cree LED and at the high setting bright blueish light and at the lower setting same but less intense. About $35 for the light. Been buying maglites for years and used them at work as they were way better than the company 2 d cell lights. Frank

Mr_Sheesh
12-17-2018, 04:42 AM
I've used various lights, the Coast ones seem rather good and inexpensive so I carry that when there's any chance of loss of the light; Streamlight, Maglite, and so on are more expensive but better lights. I have little Streamlight Nanos on my key sets (I use some Type 1A paracord to tie those together, carry 2 sets for when I have to loan one to someone else or if I {quite rarely} lock a set in the car.) The Nanos aren't perfect (If you get them, put some heat shrink on them if near anything metallic as they otherwise can light from being touched by a key etc. - Pesky failure mode, that) and are only 1 brightness, but helps if you need light to find your good light or where the lock is in the dark... Flashlights can be good stocking stuffers :)

EMC45
12-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Hi. +1 on Streamlight. You didn't say what you wanted it for (other than two modes and zoomable.) I carry the MicroStream USB Rechargeable (https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/microstream-usb) at work. It's shirtpocket small, rechargeable, has a two function rear button...momentary or on, and it's really bright for its size. You couldn't use it for jacklighting, but it's perfect for a loading bench/work light, tactical use, carrying on the plant floor, etc. The pocket clip even has a reverse mode so you can clip it to the bill of a cap to make it handsfree. Street price is about $30, but it's a quality light with a limited lifetime warranty. I wish you good luck finding what you want...maybe Santa will bring you one! :) Ed

I have that in my uniform shirt pocket right now. Very handy light. Got mine off Amazon for $17

Adam_Selene
12-19-2018, 07:35 AM
Surefire backup series. Push a little to get to the low power setting, push all the way in to get to the high power setting.

elmacgyver0
12-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Isn't it funny, they could leave off three modes on those zoom able flashlights and people would be happy to pay more for them.
Some of the super cheap flashlights anymore rival the quality of the high dollar ones.
All flashlights are susceptible to batteries leaking, because all batteries leak.
I have found that rechargeable batteries are less likely to leak, but occasionally they do.

jonp
12-19-2018, 08:48 AM
i paid $1.00 for a cheap plastic at WalMart to carry in the truck. 2 brightness settings and its LED is very bright. I ended up buying one for each vehicle. Great emergency light.