PDA

View Full Version : Mauser DST info

fourclicks
12-14-2018, 09:36 PM
I picked up a 98' action which is equipped with DST's, they are starting to give me problems. This set up has the small external adjustment screw between the triggers but it seems to not have any effect on trigger operation. I was wondering if anybody could direct me to some material printed or online that might help me to understand the workings of this trigger set up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

samari46
12-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Remove the trigger guard and spray some PB Blaster on the innards. Could just be gunked up after years of use. And don't forget to relube the trigger components with a good lube. The PB Blaster does wash away any gunk and should be done outside. If you have an air compressor a few shots of air will help remove the solvent and any trapped gunk. After that try re adjusting the screw. May have backed out or the screw may have been adjusted in too far. Hope this helps. Frank

John Taylor
12-16-2018, 11:41 AM
The adjusting screw adjust the amount of travel the front trigger has to move to release the rear and fire.When things are working right you can set the rear trigger and screw the adjusting screw in till the rear snaps forward and then back the screw out about 1/4 turn. This should give a very light trigger pull to fire. If the rear will not set back the screw out another 1/4 turn.

sharps4590
12-17-2018, 02:16 PM
What samari and John both said. All the adjustment screw does is determine the amount of engagement between the two triggers. Ordinarily German double set, two lever triggers are free from any operating difficulties.

waksupi
12-20-2018, 12:09 PM
You may want to be sure the correct triggers are on your rifle. My X bought a nice customized Mauser, that would sometimes fire when the safety was taken off. Turned out to be the wrong trigger. Replaced it, and then no problems.

Texas by God
12-20-2018, 11:47 PM
I had a G98 8mm that was sporterized in Germany presumably by Guild gunsmith. The DST on it was so nice. Examining it closely showed that it was handmade with files. They are exactly like a little lock with a hammer to strike the sear. I hope you get yours lined out.

justashooter
12-21-2018, 06:13 PM
dst are not all the same. i have a project 88 with a dst group by Haenel that needs re-stoning. it is a different design than most mauser dst.any dst should be fully understood before adjusting, for obvious reasons.