PDA

View Full Version : Trailboss 45/70 loads

JFE
12-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Can anyone assist with their accurate loads using Trailboss in the 45/70 and cast bullets in the 400-420 gr range?

Nobade
12-14-2018, 06:22 PM
All that will fit, to the base of the seated bullet. No compression. You can back off a grain or two to see if it's any more accurate but I never noticed any difference. If the bullet fits the rifle it will shoot well.

NSB
12-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Having owned/own several 45-70 rifles, I simply don't understand the attraction to Trail Boss powder. I still have a half pound of it on my bench and simply can't find any purpose for it. It shot "ok" loads, but simply didn't offer anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that several other powders didn't already offer. You can use many other powders for reduced loads, milder recoil, and great accuracy. Trail Boss didn't even come close to being the best powder in the 45-70 for accuracy, and recoil with other powders is very, very mild if loaded right.
I will add that the most accurate loads I've ever found with any of my rifles was with bullets of 400g and above. All bullets of less weight were decent, but never quite as good as the heavier ones. I have pages of load data worked up over the last several years and Trail Boss fell off the potential list a while back. So did the lighter bullets.

Baja_Traveler
12-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Well, I shot a 37 (out of 40) last weekend at our Levergun Silhouette match using 16 grains of Trailboss under a 350 grain RNFP in my Marlin Cowboy. In my rifle it is as accurate as anything else I've tried. I love the stuff...

JFE
12-14-2018, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I've been asked to load some shells for a friend and he gave me the Trailboss and commercially cast pills. I don't have the opportunity to test them in his rifle and don't have the time to do that either.

My limited testing of Trailboss in pistol loads wasn't great with poor accuracy compared to other powders. Yet you hear so many posters saying they get brilliant accuracy but so far that has not been my experience.

The manuals show 12-13 gr for that bullet weight but was hoping someone had a pet load using this combo that might be accurate.

Leadmad
12-15-2018, 01:54 AM
I concur with NSB and will not use Trail Boss again in any of my 45/70`s, really low velocity made the bullets extra susceptible to wind drift and peak ignition pressures are high which made the bullets strip lead for the first inch or 2 of the barrel

john.k
12-15-2018, 05:26 AM
im a fan of Trail Boss,but not in a 45/70 with heavier than 300 gn bullets.....as mentioned with 400+ velocity is too low.....But the price you pay for high vel with 400 gn is recoil......One point with TB,is it will always slug up undersized bullets in a Marlin micro.,which slower powders doesnt...this causes bulk leading.

lever1886
12-17-2018, 01:51 AM
I have been using 13 grains of Trail Boss with a 405 grain cast bullet. The kids love it as the recoil is very mild and we are only shooting at 35 yards. We hit most of the targets we are aiming at. All off hand shooting and works well for what we are doing. I am sure 10-12 grains of Unique would do the same job but trail boss is working well for it's intended use. Also used 15 grains of trail boss with a 300 grain cast bullet in 45 90 and it shot well at 35 yards.

CamoWhamo
12-17-2018, 08:29 AM
I use 14gn of Trail Boss with a 315gn cast bullet and have chronographed it at 1180fps.
For me, Trail Boss is just about the most consistent powder i use. In several calibers i get very low extreme spreads and single digit standard deviations.

It doesn't seem to translate to better accuracy but i don't care as the loads are mild to shoot and a lot of fun.

In several rifles, all my Trail Boss 45-70 loads shoot way higher than regular loads so i either have to aim low or replace the front sight with a much taller blade to compensate.

TheGrimReaper
12-18-2018, 11:37 AM
I love trailboss I use 13.5 gr and a 405 gr pill. Cloverleafs out of my 1895.

plainsman456
12-18-2018, 11:54 AM
I got some to try and it worked darn good.

I started at 13 grains and worked up to 16 with a 325 grain lead gas checked boolit.

Had a friend shoot some at some junk water heaters,they were about 125 yards away.

The boolits went thru 4 heaters and were still going.

Best thing is the mild recoil.
While i have tried other powders and they do the same job the Trail Boss loads seem to be easier to shoot more when at the range.

JFE
12-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the additional responses. Its interesting to read of the wide variety of experiences with Trailboss.

I love trailboss I use 13.5 gr and a 405 gr pill. Cloverleafs out of my 1895.

GR - your is a standout experience using 405gr pills compared to the others.

When you say it cloverleafs, what sort of distance are you testing your loads at ?

The other point is your load is half a grain over the max shown in Hodgdon /ADI loading data. Are you seeing any signs of high pressure ?

TheGrimReaper
12-20-2018, 02:52 PM
I've shot 2 bucks with my load listed above and both where DRT. That was using the load I listed above.

sharps4590
12-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Works ok in single shots of about any cartridge. Ain't worth spit in double rifles.

odette
02-20-2019, 12:42 PM
do the barrels heat up faster with TrailBoss and get real hot?

Tackleberry41
02-20-2019, 01:35 PM
Trailboss works in 45-70, just like Unique does but unique is cheaper.

cwlongshot
02-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Its a great powder VERY versatile. It is made for a specific reason its a BULKY powder, initially perfect for SASS type shoots where folks wanted light loads in large cases like 44/40 & 45 Colt. But Versatile because its a full pressure powder, but one that offers lower velocities perfect for soft lead bullet loads.

ANY straight case can use it. Simply learn the powder cap of the case with the bullet you intend to shoot. That's your max loading, DO NOT COMPRESS. Cut 40% from that max charge, and you have a starting load. So basically 60-100% loading and that's it! It works for bottle necks too, but I haven't used it in one.

Remember its a bulky powder that produces near same PRESSURES as other powders, but with lower velocities and a case full of powder. No worries with powder position within the case. (No detonation worries.)

I just loaded a bunch myself last night in the 450 Bushmaster BOLT gun.

CW

odette
02-20-2019, 05:38 PM

john.k
02-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Ive never noticed any heat with 14 gr and a 315 gr RCBS bullet......I have a early 1895 with 22" barrel so assume Im getting around 1100f/s..........Accuracy seems OK,but Ive never tried benchrest ,and I dont have a scope on it............One of the features is that you cant get a double load.

Texas by God
02-20-2019, 10:40 PM
I've never seen the need for it. Does 8 oz of it cost the same as a pound of regular powder? I've never priced it so just curious.

Maine1
03-19-2019, 10:06 PM
Ive heard various things about it:
1) its only for softer shooting loads
2) you can use a nearly full case, some advise against compression, but give no reasons why.

3) Allegedly, you cannot really get enough in a case to be dangerous? Its still a smokeless powder, so i'm a tad skeptical.

Having used it in 45-7- and 30-30, I find it makes good mild loads. so does unique though, and unique can make midrange loads too.

TNsailorman
03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
When Trail Boss first came out, I called IMR and asked if it was suitable to use in a .43 Spanish Rolling Block. Yes, the man said. I could load an equivalent load by volumn of black powder or load a 75 to 80% case capacity but not to load heavy enough for the powder to approach too close to the bullet. It should never be compressed. He stressed that. He said the powder was developed to produce low pressure loads for Cowboy Matches. I have been using it in my roller since and have had no problems and it was normally loaded with a slightly heavier load of black than the 45-70--(78 grains for the .43 vrs. 70 grains for the 45-70). I had one fellow tell me that it should not be used in a 30-30 under any circumstances but I tried it just to find out if he knew what he was talking about--he didn't. my experience, james

osteodoc08
03-20-2019, 05:28 AM
Its even more fun with collar button loads

PAT303
03-24-2019, 09:49 PM

No, I use TB in my 303's for training juniors and the low report and recoil combined with the safety and lack of heat make it perfect. I have shot 20-30 rounds in a string at gongs no problems, can't do that with any other powder.

buglump
11-08-2020, 06:21 PM
I'm loading the LEE 405 gr. HB in my NEF Handi Rifle 45-70 over a 4.0 LEE Dipper of TB, according to the data I can find that is 18.4 grains. The bullet seats to just kissing the powder and I can shoot 1 inch groups all day at 100 yds. with no punishment to the ole shoulder. Have no idea how fast it's flying but it will be my mid range deer rifle in areas where I used to use a 30-30. Also wanting to get into these Florida swamps and knock a few wild pigs down with the same load.

Petander
11-09-2020, 09:09 PM
http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/ask-uncle-nick/trail-boss-in-45-70