PDA

View Full Version : Paco's load Small pistol vs Rifle

Will
10-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I just read the write up on Paco's long range 30carb load in castpics.
Why must you use SP primers vs SR primers?
Could this load be fired in a Gi 30 carbine?

Will

mooman76
10-05-2008, 04:44 PM
The way I was told is it is basically a pistol cart. The rifle primers will work, that's what I used last time but the M1c doesn't have a real strong firing pin spring and sometimes you get misfires. I will use pistol primers next time.

beagle
10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't recommend shooting Paco's 311440 load in a GI carbine.

For one thing, it's too long to feed and probably too long to chamber as well. Any attempt at deeper seating will only raise pressures and maybe blow up a gun.

Then, I'm not sure what the pressure is. This is a very special load for the .30 Carbine Ruger and it has to be loaded just right or pressure sign pop up all over the place.

Using SP primers gave me less pressure during testing than did the SR primers.

I tested very many variables in that article and had many instances of sticking cases and signs of pressure before I found a powder charge, seating depth, primer and bullet sizing that was just right.

As I mentioned in the article, I beleive Paco had a bigger diameter chamber/s in his gun than I did because I ran into pressure way before he did. Maybe his was throated bigger. He didn't say.

It's a good load as it but as I warned, those loads worked in my Ruger but you are on your own in using it./beagle

runfiverun
10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
for my 30 carb. pistol i treat it as a revolver.
try some 32-20 loads.
they are built to run 30 carbine rifle loads but what do they get? you no accuracy and deaf.

44man
10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
My friend has the Ruger .30 carbine. With surplus ammo I have to say it is the most inaccurate revolver I ever shot.
He doesn't load for it yet so I don't know what would work. The 32-20 loads make sense and I will tell him.

beagle
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Mine's all right with surplus ammo but man, that thing's louder than a .357 Mag with factory loads.

Yeah, you have to remember they're a pistol and most data is geard for the M1 Carbine and then regurgitated for the Rugers.

Treat them as a .32-20 and you have a nice shooting little handgun. Too bad Ruger don't make extra cylinders in .32-20. Yeah, I know, the .32-20 is .312"....bull hockey!/beagle