PDA

View Full Version : PPU powder question

crankycalico
12-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Only ppu ammunition I have used is their 7.62x51 fmj and love it, seriously love it. It shoots very small groups for me. And one flavor of handgun ammunition.

Last year I got injured and wasn't able to do any shooting until new years day. SO I did half a box of 8x57 PPU Thunder and put the rifle away. Aparently the patching I did wasn't enough and now I have patches that come out with that funny reddish brown **** on them, and I can see a spot of black in my barrel I believe is burnt on powder because it seems to be getting smaller as i pull a patched brush through.

TNsailorman
12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
I had a similar problem several years ago with some Turkish ammo in a Turkish 98 mauser. I got some J-B Bore Shine polish from Brownell's and it really cut the fine rust and some of the pitted rust spots were cleaned up nicely. Turned a cruddy barrel into one that shot pretty decent groups. There are two grits of the bore polish, a grey one that has a heavier grit(for the heavier fouling) and a red one that has a fine grit. Together they will polish a bore up real nice and even on non rust barrels, the red polish will polish the bore to the point that it will not lead or copper foul as badly. Gives the bore a real slick polish that you can actually feel as a patch goes down the bore. my experience anyway, james

crankycalico
12-12-2018, 02:28 AM
the best way to describe the black spot was like black mold on cheese. I spent a lot of time with a bore brush with a patch with Remington 40-x on it today. Still think I have some scrubbing to do on it, but overall its more of a stain/discoloration on a REAAALLLLYYYY shiny bore.

Makes me wonder if their powder truly is non corrosive

toot
12-12-2018, 09:49 AM
could it not be the primers and not the powder?? that is where that the mercuric priming comes from that does the damage on burda primers, yes I know that they are boxer primers, but they are EUROPEAN primers after all ??!

Texas by God
12-13-2018, 07:31 PM
I doubt that the PPU ammo rusted/ stained your 75+ year old 8mm barrel. Maybe it woke up previous fouling. I shot a box of PPU through my new Tikka 8x57 last January and didn't clean it until a month ago- no rust, no fouling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

john.k
12-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Good ,old fashioned rust... you dont need no corrosive primers.......day/night temperature changes settle water droplets in your bore due to air circulation........guns in a safe should be inspected frequently for rust in humid climates,or where there are cold nights,warm days,and relative humidity over 50%.