PDA

View Full Version : Which powder gets hard to find? How long does it keep?

Idaho45guy
12-10-2018, 10:51 AM
I've only been reloading a few short years and didn't get into it before the great powder shortage that I keep hearing about. When I started, I only reloaded .45-70 for BPCR competition. Finding black powder was and is a challenge. I haven't loaded a round for probably five years and still have around ten pounds of it. I understand it keeps for years with no ill effects.

But as for smokeless, I keep seeing comments in threads on the internet from around 2009 to 2012 in which people say they are using whatever powder they can find.

Every powder I've wanted to try, I've been able to find. Some powder is harder than others since the only two places that sell it within 45 miles are Wal-Mart and a sporting goods store that has been focusing more on $200 cast iron skillets than firearms.

I was there yesterday and noticed they didn't have any WSF or Ramshot Silhouette. But I can drive 50 miles and Sportsman's Warehouse will have just about anything.

Other powders I've been using have been Unique, 231, Lil' Gun, and Trail Boss. I've used TiteGroup a bunch and get mixed results. I can find it at Wal-Mart.
I load for only 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, .45 Colt, .450 Bushmaster, and the aforementioned .45-70 govt.

Just wondering for those that lived through the last drought, what powders became the most sought after?

Also, I don't do a lot of loading and in the last four years of loading, I have not gone through a single can of powder. Some are lighter than others, but I haven't ran dry on anything. How long should I expect powder to stay good? How about primers?

farmerjim
12-10-2018, 11:14 AM
" How long should I expect powder to stay good? How about primers? "
I am using some primers and powders that I bought back in the 60's. None was stored with any special care. So I would say at least 60 years. (except for the no lead primers, they have a short life)

upnorthwis
12-10-2018, 11:55 AM
I bought some 4198 in the yellow containers. Has a price sticker on it with $3.60 Don't even know how old that is. Have been using it in .45-70, .43 Mauser and .41 Swiss with no ill effects.

lightman
12-10-2018, 11:58 AM
The shortages of 2007-2008 are pretty much over and you should be able to find about any powder that you want. Powder has a long shelf life. I keep mine in a controlled environment out of direct sunlight.

farmbif
12-10-2018, 11:59 AM
If your just loading for 45/70 that’s one thing 4198 or rl7 are good powders I would think
As far as hard to get stuff h4350 is just now once again available it was one time of the last get back in stock rl16 seems to sell out quick. 2400 is now again in stock

If your going to do a lot of reloading and your wanting to get most bang for your bucks it makes sense to buy online from place like grafs, powder valley, midsouth.
I have 748, 3031,herco red dot and green dot bought in mid 80’s and it is all still good

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2018, 12:04 PM
During the great powder and component shortage of the Obama administration the pistol and shotgun powders were the first to disappear. After that the faster rifle powders became hard to find and finally the slower rifle powders were the last ones available.

The popular pistol powders were not only the first to go but they were also the last to return.
Bullseye, Unique, AA2, AA5, 231, WSF, WST all were in short supply and for the longest time.

After that, primers became hard to find. Small pistol primers were the first to go, followed by small rifle and then the rest. For some reason 209 shotgun primers were always on the shelf.

Smokeless powder will keep for many decades if properly stored. No high heat and avoid huge temperature swings.

I had a metal can of IMR 4895 from the 1980's that got pushed to the back of the shelf and was inadvertently replaced with a couple of new bottles before I re-discovered it. It yielded perfectly good cartridges around 2010.

toallmy
12-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Well through the last great powder shortage I had to replace all my blue dot loads with herco in its place , but that's fine I like herco in the 10 , 12 , and it works in the 20 as well . I prefer H 110 in the 410 , but it seams that was a not to be found powder as well so I switched back to 296 for them . I had to pay scalpers price for red dot , and green dot ,+ my favorite powder unique along with the has mat on them when I could find them and you couldn't find them all at the same time . Wow now to the rifle stuff - how about varget to start with . I am 51 and have been loading my own since around 16 and have never had powder go bad on me or primers , as long as you keep them at room temperature and dry . I don't consider having 50 pounds of shotgun powder on hand hoarding , as well as 4-5 8 pounders of your favourite rifle powders . Just rotate your stock and shoot more .......

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2018, 12:14 PM
And I'll second the buying powder from on-line sources if you're buying in larger quantities. There's a break even point in shipping and hazmat fees that you reach and that point is determined by your local prices. I find gun shows are sometimes a good source if you know the going price in your area but sometimes retailers will beat gun show prices.

Powders like Bullseye and 231 produce a lot of cartridges per pound, practically when loading target ammo. At 3.5 grains of Bullseye per 38 Special cartridge you can theoretically get 2000 cartridges out of a pound of Bullseye.

dragon813gt
12-10-2018, 12:30 PM
They were all hard to find except the very slow 50 BMG powders. Everything else came and went in small batches. Here today, gone the next. Buy what you will think you will need and can afford at this time. It’s not going to go bad on you if properly stored.

Primers are the least of your worries, outside of storage limitations due to potential local fire code. They will last decades w/ ease. Depending on what you’re loading for you may run out of primers before powder. So buy accordingly.

osteodoc08
12-10-2018, 01:15 PM
My advice is figure out which powders work well for you and you like to work with. Buy from online vendors in bulk to reduce the overall cost when you can. Stack it cheap and deep and keep it taken care of and it will last a long long time. Now is the time to buy. Prices have become stable and 22lr is available now. I personally like to stock H1000, TrailBoss, Varget, 296, 231 pretty heavy. I have several other powders but this could always get me by.

reddog81
12-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Assuming the powders are kept in climate controlled conditions they'll probably out last you.

I wouldn't worry about which powders sell out first. Worry about which powders you'll use the most and run out of first. You can order a 4 lbs can of WST for $75 from Powder Valley and it sounds like that'd last you through just about any drought. Throw in a couple 1,000 primers or a couple more lbs of powder and it'll be enough to make up for the Hazmat charge.

35remington
12-10-2018, 02:12 PM
If you load everything, Bullseye, Unique or Herco, 2400, 4198, 4895, a good metering medium speed ball powder like H335 and 4831 will cover most everything. All the above disappear immediately during shortages. Due to its desirable bulk per unit weight I personally prefer 4064 to 4895, but this presumes I weigh rifle charges in the larger calibers which I usually do. H335 is the fine metering 223/308 powder.

Other substitutes will work as well in the same burn rate range. Dedicated 12 gauge shotgunners will want to add Red Dot, Clays or 700x or similar. Herco or Unique will work for the 20.

El Bibliotecario
12-10-2018, 02:50 PM
The late Charles "Skeeter" Skelton, whose estate auction number over two hundred pistols, once remarked he could load any handgun round he wanted with Bullseye, Unique, and 2400--and if pressed could get by with just Unique.

RogerDat
12-10-2018, 03:14 PM
The ADI production facility for pistol powders had a fire back then and since ADI makes powder sold under many brand labels it really wiped out pistol type powders for awhile. You buy what you use and convert to loaded rounds based on grains you load. There are 7000 grains to a pound. Divide 7000 by grains per round and it will tell you how many rounds you can load with available supplies, also how many primers you need to take advantage of that powder supply. Varget load for .223 is 24.5 grains so 7000 / 24.5 = 285 rounds per pound give or take a few. So need almost 2,300 primers per 8# jug. Clearly Titegroup in a 3.5 grain .38 special load is going to need almost as many primers per pound of Titegroup, approx. 2,000 loads per pound.

You are the only one that knows what you shoot and in what quantitates.

Doesn't matter what sells out, unless it is something you need and didn't stock up on. Then it matters but is too late. Honestly having a supply on hand sufficient to last a few years that you replenish as it is used is what I would have as a goal. You open or use up a can or jug of powder you should just replace it with more until you get to a good level of stock on hand. Of course selling is a bit more limited since you can't ship, that said I doubt you will have too much trouble finding local buyers if you decided to get out of reloading.

Char-Gar
12-10-2018, 03:16 PM
The late Charles "Skeeter" Skelton, whose estate auction number over two hundred pistols, once remarked he could load any handgun round he wanted with Bullseye, Unique, and 2400--and if pressed could get by with just Unique.

I would agree with that. However, if pressed to do so, I could load any handgun round with Bulleye. When Bullseye became available again, I laid in 16 prounds to go with the 4 pounds I had left.

Retired_Handloader
12-10-2018, 03:25 PM
Idaho45guy, Do I understand you correctly? Your Walmart sells reloading powder? Groceries and powder in one store, truly one-stop shopping!

KCSO
12-10-2018, 03:28 PM
I have used well kept 50 year old powder with no problems at all. I have unloaded muzzleloaders that have been loaded since 1868 and the powder was still good. Powder from 1880 FA 45-70's chronographed at full velocity in 1990.

Texas by God
12-10-2018, 03:34 PM
I use 50 yr old powder often. Never bet on powder being bad. I loaded some IMR 4198 that had red dust in it and smelled like a cat's litter box. Velocity and accuracy were fine in my .450 Marlin.
For the OP's uses, I'd stock up on Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, and 4198.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
12-10-2018, 03:42 PM
I use 50 yr old powder often. Never bet on powder being bad. I loaded some IMR 4198 that had red dust in it and smelled like a cat's litter box. Velocity and accuracy were fine in my .450 Marlin.

I've heard the danger from powder in that state is spontaneous combustion. I found one can of powder that was given to me, probably from the late 60's-early 70's, I think it was IMR 4895. It still smelled like powder, but was clearly a weaker smell than new 4895. When shook up it would be full of the red dust. I used it on the pepper plants, they grew like mad that year.

toallmy
12-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Now is a good time to put a little extra in the powder room + primers .

dragon813gt
12-10-2018, 05:09 PM
This is a very bad practice. Powder that smells and has red dust is fertilizer and nothing more. Powder is a chemical compound and what you saw was decomposition. It should not be loaded when in that state.

FergusonTO35
12-10-2018, 08:16 PM
I'm currently at the limit of what I am comfortable keeping in the house. I would guess I have around 20 pounds of powder and 10k primers. I bought a lot of oddballs during the shortages to get me through, I load them for practice ammo.

jmort
12-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Alliant powder was the hardest to get.
Even at the worst, you could get powder, just not on a "I want it right now basis."

ShooterAZ
12-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Alliant powder was the hardest to get.
Even at the worst, you could get powder, just not on a "I want it right now basis."

Yep 2400 was flat unobtanium in my area for at least a couple of years. I stocked up on all my favorite powders before the 2016 election. Bullseye, Reddot, 2400, Unique, 5744, 296. I'm good to go for years now. Maybe even the rest of my life. I need to hurry up and retire so I can shoot more!

Bazoo
12-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Still cant get 2400 round here. Unique however, is commonly available. Round here, some of odd powders were available intermittently, WSF was found during the shortage.... magnum rifle powders of various types, but nothing like 3031 or 4198, or 4064.

RogerDat
12-10-2018, 10:01 PM
H110 and 2400 were hard to come by for magnum pistol. BL-C2 and Titegroup were fairly available. I just looked at what I load, how fast I go through a specific round and over the last couple years built up based on that. Replace what I use as I use it and worst case I would just have to slow down my burn rate to make it last a long time if I couldn't get something anymore. By long time I mean years of wheel gun and bolt action. Autoloaders would have to be rationed a bit more.

FergusonTO35
12-10-2018, 10:45 PM
700X was pretty much always available, as was IMR 4064. These powders are popular enough to be carried everywhere but not desirable enough to be devoured by the hoarders. I'm a big fan of 4064. 700X works well enough to preserve my stock of Bullseye and HP-38 but I sure wouldn't choose it if the latter were available.

dragon813gt
12-11-2018, 07:34 AM
This thread has pointed out another issue w/ the shortage, regional availability. And not even regional as much as store availability. What was available in one area was not in another. I was able to buy 2400 during it. Bought it as a backup to H110/W296. Did not end up needing it since I did not run out of Hodgdon powders. And that’s another point. We were our own enemies because we were buying powder we normally wouldn’t simply because it was available.

It’s not a matter of if another shortage will occur, it’s when.

FergusonTO35
12-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Yes indeed.

ShooterAZ
12-11-2018, 10:55 AM
2020 will be the next panic.

megasupermagnum
12-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Has anyone found that stores never got the supply they had in the 2000's? I used to shop at a local store, Guns N Gear Store, and they used to have any powder a guy could want. In my case, primers got harder to find first. Not all of them, but Federal primers disappeared before all else. Eventually many powders disappeared. I think it was about 2015 when I saw the majority of stores finally get powders and primers back in stock but at increased cost. Even now Guns N Gear Store might have a 20 powders in stock at best. The tags and shelves from back then are still there, it looks pathetic how empty it is. Even the primer selection is bad now. I've decided it's easier to buy online.

The thing that hit me the hardest was the cost of lead shot. What was $25 a bag about 2007, jumped rather quickly to $55+, and has only now settled to $45.

JoeJames
12-11-2018, 01:47 PM
For awhile during the stampede/hoarding spell, even Fort Thompson's in Little Rock was plumb out of any pistol powder.

bob208
12-11-2018, 02:14 PM
the powder youuse the most is the hardest to get when powder gets slow. me I had problems getting unique. ghat is my go to powder you can load lite or moderate heavy loads.

trapper9260
12-11-2018, 03:08 PM
I say get the one you use the most and go from there same as primers.Load up on them now.I seen that Alliant powders was spotty here during zero was in office. The one I found easy to get here is IMR4064 at the time of zero .

Silver Jack Hammer
12-11-2018, 04:39 PM
I heard the problem with powder shortages is the time it takes the manufacturers to cook up more when the market demands more. Hence the manufacturers are developing new recipes for powders that can be processed and marketed more quickly to meet the demand.

Idaho45guy
12-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Idaho45guy, Do I understand you correctly? Your Walmart sells reloading powder? Groceries and powder in one store, truly one-stop shopping!

Yep. They only have four or five types of powder, though. I have never seen anything but CCI primers for sale. CCI is a local company, though.

Petrol & Powder
12-11-2018, 07:19 PM
2020 will be the next panic.

That would be my prediction.

dragon813gt
12-11-2018, 07:44 PM
It may be sooner than that. All it will take is one anti gun bill to be introduced and it’s off to the races. I have cash sitting aside. Not to buy components. But to buy gun manufacturers stocks. They’re down a good bit and a run will prop them up in short order. Should have done this the last go around.

trapper9260
12-11-2018, 08:08 PM
All I can say just be ready and go from there. That is what I done. Just need more LRP and then a little LPP I be good over all. As for the last go round is just give a look out for what can come .

Catshooter
12-12-2018, 01:02 AM
Don't wait to stock up. Events can happen really, really fast.

If I recall correctly, it was '92 when Clinton wrote an open letter to our primer manufacturers (there are only four in the US) asking them if they could make a primer with a one year shelf life. Over the span of two months, primers went from $7.50 to $65 a thousand. There was one principal guy at our gun show who dealt primarily in primers. He'd get in 250,000 to 300,000 each month, would limit you to 5K max and would be sold out before lunch.

Life can change on a dime - be ready for it.

Cat

jonp
12-12-2018, 08:59 AM
In stock? Unique, H110 and Promo. I also keep 2400, 3031 and 4064 along with this and that

Unique and Promo always

dogdoc
12-13-2018, 08:57 AM
I will stock up before 2020

tazman
12-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Around here, all the handgun powders and any shotgun powders useful for handgun or trap & skeet were just not available at all. Periodically, small amounts would show up at higher prices.
Primers also got very hard to find. Particularly, small pistol and large pistol.
Now, everything is available and at decent prices.
If you think you will need to stock up, do it now. If you wait for 2020 to roll around, there won't be any available to stock up with.

Idaho45guy
12-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Picked up another can of WSF since it's the hardest to find and works well in multiple calibers.
Also picked up some Speer Gold Dots and primers. $75. Will be buying at least another can of powder and a couple hundred more primers every couple of weeks on pay day.

Should hopefully be pretty well stocked up by the next election.

Of course, Washington state could go after reloading supplies next...

RogerDat
12-19-2018, 12:32 PM
I was online ordering a reloading press, the press was in stock when the page loaded. I went to double check the model number in a review I had open in another browser window before ordering. Came back and hit order to find a 6 month back order had grown in the few minutes between loading the item and ordering. So yes can change in a moment. Unsustainable circumstances will pass but things will also change. Prices, and contents will change as will no doubt laws and regulations. New powders are coming into market, as are new primers.

I agree Congress starts debating any serious restrictions and things will get unsettled fast, how unsettled will depend on scope of regulation and probability of passing. It wasn't that Sandy Hook happened, it was when Congress took up restrictive legislation that looked like it would pass that the real run took place. Bump stock ban not wonderful but not likely to set off hoarding & panic buying. Capacity and type of firearm bans will.

If you have what you need on hand it gives you options. If you can cast and load for it, have components to do that loading, then you can respond to the situation without panic and based on prior planning that informed your preparations. I still buy gas checks but I do have dies to make them. I also tend to have molds that do a plain base bullet even if my usual mold for same use is a gas check bullet. Long term what you have you can use, what you can't buy or can't afford at scalper prices you don't have available to use. It really boils down to what is financially possible and what priority you place on being able to load for the calibers or uses you consider important. The cost of an 8# jug in stock on hand and a few thousand primers that gives you a comfortable buffer is a worthwhile goal.

Hunters have different use cases than competitive shooters, some are looking to be able to feed semi-auto for regular range time, others shotguns for hunting, sport, or competition. Some have family that draws on their supplies, others just load for a limited number of firearms to "plink" with from time to time. An 8# jug of pistol powder for someone plinking with a revolver or two is huge. For a competitive shotgun enthusiast it isn't even a good start on the order. So comfort is both use, need, and emotional. Can't forget that for some folks knowing they are secure in their ability to maintain functional firearms pretty much based on own stock for a lifetime matters. Some are looking to next generation even. Those are emotional factors. It all cost money, figuring out what to budget that achieves your own personal goal is what matters. Took me around 6 years but I am comfortable in my lead supply now. Took regular purchases over time, looking for deals, and budgeting resources to the task. Same with powder and components. Not 100% where I want to be but closing in on the basics are covered and spending more effort on the outlier items now.

Know what you "need" buy it as you can until you have it. Replace as used. Don't worry and don't become part of a panic next time one happens. So .22 rim fire are much more available now. You use? Are you buying? I don't use that caliber a lot and have a decent amount going back to Y2K but looking at a big bucket and thinking after Christmas I might find that worth adding one of those to my comfort level.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-19-2018, 03:47 PM
To the OP:
Unique and 2400 were the ones I wanted to buy,,,and found empty shelves at my favorite stores...or any stores.

As I remember it, there were two "events" in the last 15 years.

2008: China's buying up of any commodities they could get their hands on finally caught up with the World's Commodity market (Brass and copper effected ammo prices), along with Obama winning the election with the Congress being Liberal. Prices climbed as we bought all we could to stock up, under threat of law changes.

After a few years, the gun and ammo market had leveled off, due to the political changes in House (in 2010) and Senate (in 2012).

But then in 2013, Sandy Hook happened. This panic had a Perfect storm happen. Three major factors...besides us reloaders trying to stock up, we had the gougers, additional People buying to re-sell at high prices...and also, after many years of dismal growth in the sporting arms hobby, we got a new growth spurt of previously non-gun owners getting into the sport of shooting and reloading and even casting...I recall lots of different Lee products being unavailable and Lee having a long backlog of their manufacturing, particularly with products relating to 223/556 and 9mm.

Anyway, as others have stated...Lookout... 2020 is coming soon.

RED BEAR
12-19-2018, 07:30 PM
did i miss something i remember primers being hard to find but i had no problem getting what ever powder i wanted. i usually buy from a couple small shops and they always had what i asked for.

rintinglen
12-20-2018, 12:20 PM
did i miss something i remember primers being hard to find but i had no problem getting what ever powder i wanted. i usually buy from a couple small shops and they always had what i asked for.

Apparently you were hibernating from 20143 to 2016:kidding: But honestly, where I live, pistol powders like Bullseye, Unique and WW 231 were very rare on the ground, with 2400 being non-existent. Daily checks of Graf and Sons,and powder valley yielded none for weeks , even months at a time. I buy primers now 10,0000 at a time and have built up my stocks of ww-231, Unique and Power pistol to where I should have a life time supply. I still need to get a jug or two of 2400.

RogerDat
12-20-2018, 03:40 PM
The manufacturers run specific powders and cartridges in batches and keep a "normal" supply in warehouse or the materials pipeline. An post election run put a dent in it, then legislation under consideration post Sandy Hook really go the ball rolling (it didn't pass but by then scarcity was self reinforcing) Followed by ADI in Australia who makes much of the powder sold under US labels had a fire in the pistol powder facility. So perfect storm of pipeline supply getting pulled down while manufacturers were unable to rebuild it.

Once you have run all over trying to locate some needed or highly desired component that has almost run out you or anyone will be highly motivated to purchase "extra" in order to avoid that same problem in the future. Or to pass on your lucky find to others you know are in the same boat. So what supplies did enter the market were quickly transferred to basement and shop storage locations taking them off the market. It is how a hoarding situation is self perpetuating. People doing the "right" thing that makes sense individually can lead to an overall situation that is undesirable.

Simply put if one hasn't been able to find a powder for the last couple of months of looking for it and they finally find some the 2# they would have bought becomes buying 5 of the 1# cans so they can go twice as long without needing to hunt for it again and pass on a pound to their friend who is also running low.

The OP trying to figure out what to purchase now during times of plenty will help them avoid those issues in the future which is good but chances are the next situation will be different. Not likely to have a fire that takes out same capacity. Plus many will have stocked up on certain items taking them out of the demand side. I might buy primers if I loaded a big batch but am good on most powders I use much of for a long time. Not to mention a few 8# jugs that provide something that will work for pretty much everything. Might not be the best but certainly usable. 8#'s of Unique, 4198, Varget cover a lot of ground.

OP needs to not try to figure the shortages of last crisis. Needs to figure out own needs and address available supplies so next crisis doesn't matter.

BTW - there were some small gun shops that did generally have a decent selection of powder when major retail outlets did not. Often not handy to population centers or ones that historically did a steady business in reloading supplies. Too small a customer base to get overwhelmed by panic buying and historically regular large orders of components meant suppliers already had them down for repeat demand.

RED BEAR
12-21-2018, 11:29 AM
the shop i used for my reloading supplies didn't display them they were in the back and you had to ask so maybe they started with a good supply and never ran out. primers on the other hand could be seen from counter and sold out. i shopped at that store from the day it opened until it closed recently. hated to see them go.

RogerDat
12-23-2018, 01:24 AM
the shop i used for my reloading supplies didn't display them they were in the back and you had to ask so maybe they started with a good supply and never ran out. primers on the other hand could be seen from counter and sold out. i shopped at that store from the day it opened until it closed recently. hated to see them go. We lost a local gunsmith owned shop awhile back. Was really bummed to see it go.

Nearest one now is about an hour away. Nice drive but after going that far I feel like I need to come home with something so.... just dropping something off costs at least the price of a pound or two of powder so I have something to show for the drive. They didn't run out but they are a good way out from any population center and most of the clientele is long term and steady. I think a new fellow coming in and trying to buy up a stock of powder would have been told no during lean times.

xfoxofshogo
12-23-2018, 02:14 AM
i pick up a lot of HS-5 and HS-6 form a sale and it has 1972 they are still good as new and some old alcan powder no date on it but dose not have a screw on lid

At one shop here they want $30.00 for a 1 lb can

Kimber1911
12-25-2018, 11:30 PM
I really started getting set up to load in 2011-2012, it became almost impossible to get what recipes called for so I also was buying whatever I could get, usually at some inflated rate, primers were tough to come by.Everything was out of stock, rationed, or backordered. I got into a few other projects and hobbies and had another kid and kind of mothballed the handloading hobby until recently. Just sorting thru what I have and getting going again, part of the issue was total lack of experience so some of the random powders I have were only purchased because it was all I could get, not what I needed. Now is a much better time to set up as needed, sell some excess, adjust inventory. I totally agree with having some stuff on hand for the lean times.

ejcrist
12-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Gosh, yeah I remember 2008 and especially 2013 like it was yesterday - hard times. I still have flashbacks and wake up in cold sweats, especially about 2013. I shoot mostly revolver (handgun steel silhouette) and hunting, and mostly 32 H&R, 38 Special, 44 Special, and 45 Colt. During the shortage 2400 and Unique was next to impossible to find. 4227 wasn't as bad - that's one of my favorite 45 Colt powders. I had a pretty good supply before the two shortages but I was working on buying enough to eventually have a lifetime supply because I figured things were more likely than not to get more restrictive over the years than less. I continued to buy when stuff was available during the drought and cut back on shooting quite a bit. Afterwards I continued to slowly stock up and now I think I'm good for the rest of my time on earth. If I had to do it again I'd stock up on 2400 first since that seemed to be the hardest to get post 2013. After that it's a tough call because most handgun/shotgun powders were scarce in my neck of the woods but I'd probably go with Unique and 231. After that I'd say they were all equally difficult to get. Like the others have said, just figure out which powders you use most, how much you need to be comfortable for a few years, and then start purchasing it at regular intervals. Do the same with primers and brass too - I remember both were hard to get but especially pistol primers. The drought was a terrible time for the shooting sports. Even though I'm well stocked now I really hope to never see anything like that again.

6.5 CM
12-26-2018, 06:44 PM
I'm having trouble finding Dupont 80 and HiVel.

Seriously guys, there are sooooo very many powders made, I find it hard to believe anyone in the USA is unable to shoot for lack of powder.

Powder Valley ALONE has 202 kinds of smokeless powder in stock. INCLUDING 2400, 4227, H110 and every other one I've ever heard of. If you live in a Blue state or only buy at the LGS you could have a problem. Sorry.

Idaho45guy
12-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Bought another 1000 CCI 500 small pistol primers today while grocery shopping at WalMart. Next paycheck it will be powder.

scattershot
12-27-2018, 12:47 AM
Try to keep a good supply of Unique on hand. You can load just about anything with it. Should last forever if kept tightly sealed and away from extremes in temperature.

retread
12-27-2018, 01:18 AM
This is a very bad practice. Powder that smells and has red dust is fertilizer and nothing more. Powder is a chemical compound and what you saw was decomposition. It should not be loaded when in that state.

I got some IMR 4198 in the one pond cans that matched the description, rusty dust and foul smelling. I used it for fertilizer. Of all the cans I have picked up of that vintage and earlier, that can is the only one I have had to toss to date.

Dave18
12-27-2018, 12:24 PM
yrs ago friend of mine came by and dropped off a good sized cardboard canister of red dot, 16lb? his brother died, and he had to clean the place out, he had no use for the powder and dropped it on me, interesting thing was his brothers place, it was in florida,the powder kept in the garage, and think even went through a few hurricanes, so we were kind of skeptical of it burning right, well, loaded some up and tried it, just a slight hint of smoke, that was it, burned that keg up that yr, shooting skeet, keep thinking someone was telling us, they quit making the canisters in the 60s, one of the older guys that hung out at the skeet range, when talking about the powder, and we shot it up around 2000 give or take a yr,
while there is no hard fast rule, Im guessing if everything was done right during what ever run of powder out there, it could almost last a lifetime or more, since we are still shooting ammo from ww2, and quality control back then was nothing like we have now days,
even black powder has surprised me, have been told about percussion pistols and muzzleloaders that had been left loaded for yrs, and went off on first try
sorry for rambling so long, powder longevity has really fascinated me, when you don't think the stuff would be so long lasting,

ejcrist
12-27-2018, 12:59 PM
I'm having trouble finding Dupont 80 and HiVel.

Seriously guys, there are sooooo very many powders made, I find it hard to believe anyone in the USA is unable to shoot for lack of powder.

Powder Valley ALONE has 202 kinds of smokeless powder in stock. INCLUDING 2400, 4227, H110 and every other one I've ever heard of. If you live in a Blue state or only buy at the LGS you could have a problem. Sorry.

The original poster asked: "Just wondering for those that lived through the last drought, what powders became the most sought after?" so that's what we're commenting on, not about having trouble finding powders now. Back during the drought I checked Powder Valley, Graff's etc. many times a day and purchased when something I needed was available, which was rare. There was also an app, and I don't remember the name, but you queried the powder you were looking for and it gave results of any vendor that had it, but again you'd almost never see Unique, 2400, etc. being available. That's why it's not such a bad idea to build an inventory since you're going to use it anyway, and if there's ever another run it won't really affect you. Not only that but it's not at all uncommon for manufacturers to cease making certain powders with small sales volume that you might prefer and have spent a considerable amount of time working up loads on. This has happened to me a couple of times. The replacement powder may be better or worse but either way you'll have to go back to the drawing board and start all over again. Anyway, long story short, it never hurts to be prepared.

6.5 CM
12-27-2018, 03:32 PM
I experienced no drought anymore than I had any problem finding 22 rimfires. At the height of the 22 RF panic I bought 5000 rounds for 5 cents a round.

While both Unique and 2400 are fine powders, if they went away tomorrow nobody would have to melt down their guns to make swords.

"When in worry or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout,"

Prep away, you might get to survive a few more months.

Idaho45guy
12-27-2018, 05:15 PM
I experienced no drought anymore than I had any problem finding 22 rimfires. At the height of the 22 RF panic I bought 5000 rounds for 5 cents a round.

While both Unique and 2400 are fine powders, if they went away tomorrow nobody would have to melt down their guns to make swords.

Prep away, you might get to survive a few more months.

Your experience seems to be completely opposite of what everyone else experienced.

In regards to .22 shells, I didn't see any for sale locally for three years.

Texas by God
12-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Prep away, you might get to survive a few more months.I'd ask what Shangri-La you live in where .22 ammo and gunpowder flowed and didn't in the reddest of red states; but my kids say don't feed trolls.

35remington
12-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Everyone everywhere I corresponded with or talked to experienced the shortage. Saying you did not experience an ammo drought means you stocked up, but the shortage did exist for sure.

6.5 CM
12-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Well, all I can say is that there was plenty of what I needed on line.

worker
12-27-2018, 09:29 PM
there was a shortage of everything. The only I could get locally, were magnum pistol and magnum rifle primers.

Powders that have widest applicability eg Unique, Red dot/Promo were nowhere to be found online or local.
There were no pistol powders in general.

There were some sparse specialized rifle powders (narrowest application catered to huge magnum cartridges)

I was checking wideners, midsouth, midway, brass pro, grafs, powder alley .. .anything). The whole experience was very unsettling.

ejcrist
12-28-2018, 12:19 PM
there was a shortage of everything. The only I could get locally, were magnum pistol and magnum rifle primers.

Powders that have widest applicability eg Unique, Red dot/Promo were nowhere to be found online or local.
There were no pistol powders in general.

There were some sparse specialized rifle powders (narrowest application catered to huge magnum cartridges)

I was checking wideners, midsouth, midway, brass pro, grafs, powder alley .. .anything). The whole experience was very unsettling.

Amen to that - you described the situation to a "T". About the only powder I remember seeing available regularly was for 50 BMG. There were also a couple of other rifle powders available on occasion but I'm guessing the demand for those was somewhat less than for pistol/shotgun powders. I know some guys that shoot precision riffle but many more that shoot handgun and shotgun competition.

Kimber1911
01-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Bought another 1000 CCI 500 small pistol primers today while grocery shopping at WalMart. Next paycheck it will be powder.

They sell primers at walmart????????? What the?

wildcatter
01-17-2019, 12:38 PM
I have never in my life found a shortage of any components! Far to many over look the fact that what they are calling a shortage, was actually a gun owners self indulgence of anything they could get their hands on.

I listened to the galactically misinformed cry about no primers, no brass, no powder, and the at the same time showed them where they could buy all they wanted if,,,, they were willing to pay the prices the irresponsible gun owners hording these components were asking!

THERE WAS NEVER A SHORTAGE!! JUST PEOPLE NOT WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE THE SCAMMERS BUYING EVERYTHING UP WERE ASKING.

Our own NRA members trying to stick it to the rest of us! These are facts, I almost weekly during this time showed people looking for 9mm, 223, 45 acp, 22 rf, ammo as well as primers in any style or manufacture, powder in any quantity or brand or compound, where to buy all they wanted.

But they were as a rule smart enough not to pay these scammers the ridiculous prices they were asking for the components or ammo they had bought up in huge quantities that they never intended to use themselves in their lifetime. I just wonder how many that took part of this nationwide scam are among us,, I assure the ones that were responsible for this time just a few short years ago realize how despicable they were and will never step forward to admit taking part,, matter of a fact they will probably be the first ones to speak up and say this isn't true,, when most of us know it's a fact, but many try to deny it coming from our own!

It was a classic example of irresponsible gun owners shafting their fellow shooters!

As far as shelf life on powder and primers,,,, it would have to be from well before my time, or grossly improperly stored, but anyone in doubt of that I will gladly take any of the old powder or primers you have that are outdated and dispose of them for you!

Texas by God
01-17-2019, 01:49 PM
You're correct, Wildcatter. That's why I call those times PANICS instead of SHORTAGES.
I never turn down old ammo or components.

gwpercle
01-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Just as soon as the Democrats get another president elected you will see the panic buying and hoarding again.....you can bank on it. I've been buying all the powder, primers and even boolit moulds that I can afford .
I'm not going to get caught with my pants down again. And you know the Dem's aren't going to let the Republicans win the next election....no way , no how !
Gary

JBinMN
01-17-2019, 03:12 PM
I am more concerned with lack of primers than lack of powder. Without the primers there is not much shooting up the powder.

I have set myself to cover my shooting needs for the most part for a reasonable time, for the handguns/rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders I currently shoot. (but certainly not more than 2 years at the rate I am shooting & it is not like many others here who shoot much more than I do.)
I made boolit traps to recover my boolits, and have a reasonable amount of extra brass, hulls, wads, lead & powders.

Primers are more of a concern "to me", right now.

Since I keep about 10-12 different powders in small quantities on hand, IMO, I am not too handicapped right now if things started to go bad for finding powders. I made it a point to make sure I had more than I have been shooting in the faster powders I like, & ones that can be used in everything but the muzzleloaders, so that in a pinch I could use those powders to still be able to shoot, even though they were not "preferred". But, faster powder in lesser amounts to shoot means I will need "more" primers...

So, once again, Primers come back into play... They go hand in hand with any powder shortage, or "Panic". I have tried to keep up with primers as much as powders. Sadly, I have not been keeping up.
My next limited purchases this year will be focused on primers, & not much else unless a great inexpensive "deal" comes along for other things.

I know that this topic is more about finding a powder, if it seems they are beginning to become scarce to find in your area, but I am trying to also remind that Primers are just as important as the powder to be the ignition source, so don't leave them off the shopping list. I assure ya that you will regret it if you have powder & you don't have the primers to set the powder off.
;)

Idaho45guy
01-17-2019, 07:57 PM
They sell primers at walmart????????? What the?

The ones in my area do. I buy a fair amount of supplies there. Almost all of my primers since they carry most of the CCI flavors. Since CCI is a local company, the only other primer brand I've seen anywhere is Winchester.

They also sell powder. Off the top of my head, they have 3031, Unique ($23.99 a can), Titegroup is under $20 a can, and two or three other types that I don't use.

Bullets are a bunch of Hornady XTPs, FMJs, and RNs. A fair amount of Speer and Nosler hunting/rifle bullets. They also sell a wide range of dies, presses, scales, and other RCBS components.

I mean, it's not that impressive, but the prices are usually better than Midway and no shipping costs. The whole reloading section is only about 6'-8' wide on one side of an aisle. Really small.

But yeah, it blows a lot of people's minds that WalMart sells reloading equipment around here when most Walmarts don't even sell guns or ammo anymore.

RogerDat
01-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Balance in components is hard, seems like always finding a powder or primer size not well represented. But yeah if you buy some good generally useful powders in quantity and enough primers of the sizes required to send that amount of powder as loads down range you will be in good shape. Math to get from grains of load to loads per pound isn't hard. (7,000 grains in a pound so divide that by grains in load) Now just figure how many pounds of powder you have that will need primers. An 8# jug each of three powders able to address a wide array of needs can require a lot of primers. What those powders should be is an individual need based on what you load. Throw in a few 1# bottles of specialty powders, or same powders as the 8# stockpile and it's even more primers. Nice part is once you have a balance "portfolio" of components maintaining it just involves replacing what you use as you use it. I have 1# and 8# of same powders. I use the 1# and keep the 8# jugs in reserve. Figure worst case I can ration my use of 8 pounds of powder to last a long time. It is easier to replace the 1# bottles as they get used. I stack my used powder and prime packaging in one spot. Allows me to see what I have used and that needs replacing. Yes a list would be more space efficient and probably better but I'll lose the dang thing and then where would I be?

There is one other consideration, trade can work where money will not. Primers, powder, and brass tend to face the same demand pressures at the same time. A $34 box of 1k primers is likely to be worth $34 of powder even if both have become scarce and are going for scalper prices. If primers are now $42 the powder is probably also now $42. People will trade scarce goods for scarce goods often more readily than they will sell them for cash that they won't be able to use to purchase scarce goods. In a famine people might swap bread for meat but they won't really want your money except at exorbitant prices that reflect current replacement costs and difficulty.

Guessing what or when the next panic buy event will be is a fools errand. Being in a good position to ignore it just takes a medium amount of thoughtful preparation, and a bit of commitment in financial resources in advance of actual need. If I die with a "stockpile" it would be sort of a waste but I can tolerate some income exchanged for peace of mind.

wildcatter
01-17-2019, 10:15 PM
I to have never been caught with my pants down and have always had enough to get me through till a reputable source could replentish my stock. But I have never went out of my way to over stock, and then when the panic starts, offer what I have for 2 3 even 4 times what I paid for it. I seldom pay retail for anything. But I never have sold anything for over retail! The scum that do should be the pones that no one buys anything from!

Just like dealers that did, around me those that took advantage when everyone giving the screwing, were the first to disappear and go out of business when everything came back around. Unfortunately then the scalpers started getting rid of everything they themselves couldn't use for going prices, I just wish no one would have bailed them out and made em eat it all!

I am quite lucky and have shot benchrest for years, so I know many who do not operate like this and believe in shooters taking care of shooters, bit shooter screwing shooters, so they always know someone willing to help others get by, even to the point I have had some give me primers and powder, and refuse money, just ask that when I get the chance replace what they gave me! This is what shooters used to be, those that are not, I have little use for!

RogerDat
01-24-2019, 04:50 AM
I to have never been caught with my pants down and have always had enough to get me through till a reputable source could replentish my stock. But I have never went out of my way to over stock, and then when the panic starts, offer what I have for 2 3 even 4 times what I paid for it. I seldom pay retail for anything. But I never have sold anything for over retail! The scum that do should be the pones that no one buys anything from!

Just like dealers that did, around me those that took advantage when everyone giving the screwing, were the first to disappear and go out of business when everything came back around. Unfortunately then the scalpers started getting rid of everything they themselves couldn't use for going prices, I just wish no one would have bailed them out and made em eat it all!

I am quite lucky and have shot benchrest for years, so I know many who do not operate like this and believe in shooters taking care of shooters, bit shooter screwing shooters, so they always know someone willing to help others get by, even to the point I have had some give me primers and powder, and refuse money, just ask that when I get the chance replace what they gave me! This is what shooters used to be, those that are not, I have little use for!

Gone are the tables from gun shows with 300% mark up .22 rim fire ammo. Or similar markup on military calibers. And not missed. There is however less reloading stuff being sold, am seeing brass more than powder or primers. One show there was only one table with a small stock of primers. No powders except partial bottles at an estate sale table. Maybe a slight uptick in reloading equipment from the panic buying getting dumped but not even much of that. Like we all say ammo, lead and powder take a long time to spoil. What was panic bought has dropped demand to where selling isn't very profitable.

Yes I am another vote for may the ammo and component scalpers be stuck explaining to there spouses why they have hundreds tied up in money losing, no one will buy goods. While their spouse explains why they can sleep in the guest bedroom for the foreseeable future. And should count themselves lucky it isn't the dog house out back.

There was a fellow and his wife that sold reloading components they held the line on prices all through the shortage, they didn't have to put a limit on purchases because their buyers would generally "leave some for the other guy" On two occasions he had a bunch of desirable powder come in and get purchased by someone who turned out to be another vendor who marked it up a lot and resold it. He started shaming them by naming them and telling people who asked for that powder where they could get it what he sold it to them for without knowing they were buying for resale. I just said never mind I'll wait, not doing business with them, I think others passed on them too. He did get careful about who he sold to after that.

He was my go to source for components because he was a square shooter. Unfortunately as things slowed down at the shows his plant went to more shifts including weekends so he first scaled back to less tables which probably wasn't very profitable brass takes a lot of space and left his wife to work the sales herself, hauling brass and powder in and out is a bit of work for one person and can only transport 50# of powder per vehicle per trip. Together they could bring two vehicles and get 100# to the show per trip. Alone half as much. Eventually they stopped coming to the shows. Too bad, I can drive to a couple of places with powder and primers on the weekend but would wait to do business with him because I liked how he conducted himself during the tough times.

I do recall members here offering me the same sort of deal during the shortage. Here is a pound of that powder you can't find, I use it for the same caliber. Pay me back a pound when you can find some in stock. Had a gun show fellow bring in a pound of Unique for me just so I could try a particular load. He said that was a good load for him and if I could come back tomorrow he could bring me a pound. Just call his cell and he could bring it out so I wouldn't have to pay a second day entrance fee. Price was regular retail. When Unique was unobtainable at any price. The odd ball brass I get ends up in a baggy I drop off at his table from time to time. He loads weird stuff or knows people that do so the 3 or 4 of this and that get used and I know it is going to a stand up vendor.

I'm a little concerned even well established vendors with reloading equipment and casting supplies are telling me they struggle to make table fees. Saw a table normally covered with die sets covered with collectable BB guns and air rifles. They sell for enough to cover the fees and make the trip profitable, the dies I sell a few but not enough to make a profitable weekend. If you ask for something he will bring it from the store for you, and at a good price. More than anything I think he reflects a general slow down in reloading component and equipment market.