PDA

View Full Version : New springs for an old gun

fatelk
12-10-2018, 02:49 AM
I've had my old M1 Carbine for over 30 years. It's a '43 Underwood that I bought at a garage sale when I was in high school. It's nothing fancy, just an old Blue Sky refurbished import. I've fired many thousands of rounds through it over the years, jacketed and cast.

I'd never really given any thought to springs until recently when I was pondering how sluggish the bolt felt. I got on Ebay and spent $10 on a new spring. It sure made a big difference. My cast bullet load now just drops the empties onto the bench beside me.

nicholst55
12-10-2018, 07:03 AM
That's one of the first things I do when I buy an old milsurp rifle or pistol - replace all the springs, if they're available.

upnorthwis
12-10-2018, 11:48 AM
I bought a 71/84 Mauser a couple of years ago and after several misfires I took the bolt apart. The firing pin spring was broken in two places and had screwed itself together. Took it to a gun show and found that an 03A3 spring is a perfect replacement. Hasn't misfired since.

bob208
12-10-2018, 02:32 PM
I replaced the recoil spring in my carbine. I will not try the bolt again lost parts and my religion on that one. no I did not have or even thought I needed the tool to do it .I learned that lesion. I did pick up a surplus high power it would jam all the time. a Wolff spring kit fixed it never a problem since. we bought a bunch of the argentine colt 1911s all the springs were junk.

jimb16
12-10-2018, 07:43 PM
I don't recommend Wolf kits for the carbine. Most of the springs are too strong and frequently cause more problems than they solve. For a carbine, I suggest that original GI springs be used. It will avoid a lot of headaches. And YES, a bolt tool is a huge blessing when it comes to disassembling and reassembling a carbine bolt. It is worth the price in saving lost parts and in cuss words.

fatelk
12-10-2018, 09:58 PM
I actually skipped disassembly of the bolt this time. I did replace the extractor once before when it broke, and that was a huge pain.

bob208
12-11-2018, 11:24 AM
after my learning experience with the carbine bolt now I just hang them up and spray with carb cleaner then oil and am good to go.