PDA

View Full Version : How do you store boolits with soft lube?

44Blam
12-10-2018, 12:44 AM
I like to use Ben's Red, but it is hard to store those boolits. You cannot just put them in a ziplock.

How do you store them?

Hickory
12-10-2018, 12:55 AM
I cast & store. Size & lube as I need them.

Rcmaveric
12-10-2018, 01:16 AM
I use cigar boxes for the ones i use a lot of like 9mm and 6.5mm and .357. Use card board to separate the layers.

I have smaller sandwich Tupperware boxes from the dollar store. For the lesser used calibers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

reloader28
12-10-2018, 01:19 AM
Mostly as cast in coffee cans but I always keep 200-300 of each caliber lubed in check boxes. The box a bunch of check books come in from the bank.

Oily
12-10-2018, 03:49 AM
Powder coat

Greg S
12-10-2018, 05:36 AM
I do as poster #3 and what I don't store, I size, bag the resize and lube as I load.

Went2kck
12-10-2018, 06:46 AM
I use plastic jars that peanut butter or peanuts came in. Brass I use larger nut containers. All have screw on lids. Cast is unlubed when put in the jars.

CamoWhamo
12-10-2018, 06:52 AM
I haven't tried it myself but i have read somewhere here in this forum that a thin coat of tumble lube like 45-45-10 or BLL will form a hard shell and hold the soft lube in place.

trapper9260
12-10-2018, 07:13 AM
The lube I make for myself stay on and I store in plastic containers that my brother get his sweetner in that have a flip open lid. I use them for all my boolits lube and size and unsize and lube.they stack up easy also.

avogunner
12-10-2018, 07:23 AM
On my bench I have a little three drawer plastic bin. Each drawer is for a particular boolit (i.e. the bottom drawer is for 358311) and as I size/lube, I'll place them neatly in rows and use a cereal box cardboard cut out between layers. The drawers are deep enough for two layers and of a size that when full holds probably 450-500 (never counted).
Oh, this isn't an OCD thing but as I do use a soft lube (50/50), it keeps the noses relatively clean of lube so as they fall in the bin (Dillon SDB), the exposed lead isn't covered in smeared lube (which would get all over the other rounds in the bin) so I don't have to wipe down the loaded rounds.
Semper Fi.

dale2242
12-10-2018, 08:29 AM
I use 50/50.
I store my sized/lubed boolits in smaller tins that candy/cookies come in.
I stand them on their bases, separating the layers with thin carboard.
I mark the tins on top with peel and stick labels.
I mark the mold#, alloy, weight and diameter....dale

GhostHawk
12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
I do a light coat of BLL over my Ben's Red. Works great.

Almost all all of my cast & lubed boolits are in cheap plastic food storage containers. Some round, some square, some screw on, some snap on. Bit of everything down there.

I have noticed that airtight containers do help prevent oxidation on unlubed cast.

Most of my casting these days gets a couple of light coats of BLL before storage.

lightman
12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
I stack my sized and lubed bullets in cigar boxes with the layers separated by a piece of thin cardboard. I save the backing from note/legal pads for this. A file label on the end of the box identifies the bullet and alloy.

ShooterAZ
12-10-2018, 12:14 PM
I use 50/50.
I store my sized/lubed boolits in smaller tins that candy/cookies come in.
I stand them on their bases, separating the layers with thin carboard.
I mark the tins on top with peel and stick labels.
I mark the mold#, alloy, weight and diameter....dale

This is exactly how I do it too, it works well.

toallmy
12-10-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm a slob I suppose , the only boolits I use a soft lube on are 38 wad cutters and they are stored in coffee cans lubed with my mixture of Crisco / bee's wax + a little bit of this and that thrown in . But I do wipe the base off good when loading them .:-P

Walks
12-10-2018, 12:58 PM
I use the 500 rd commercial bullet ( reinforced with packing tape, they last forever )boxes from the days when my kids & I shot a 1,000rds a week in Cowboy Action Shooting. Stacked & separated by "shelves" cut from cereal boxes. Smaller quantities go into smaller plastic boxes from the dollar store.
Unsized/unlubed bullets sit in bigger misc.plastic jugs.

gwpercle
12-10-2018, 02:36 PM
I use plastic food storage containers , small size and deep enough to stack two boolits.
I stack them in the box , side by side , in nice neat rows, all standing on their base.
When the bottom is filled, a thin piece of cardboard cut to shape the container is put down and another layer of boolits is stacked side by side. When full an adhesive lable ID's what it is and size to info.
This is the only way to keep soft lubed boolits from getting lube all over everything.
As I size/lube them I stack them in the box. Small boxes work better than large ones.
Gary

country gent
12-10-2018, 02:40 PM
For my BPCR bullets lubed with emmerts or SPG I store in 100 rd pistol ammo boxes. Keeps bullets separated and in good shape and I can inventory at a glance.

Orchard6
12-10-2018, 05:45 PM
When I lube with 50/50 beeswax/moly grease I find it easier to lube as I go otherwise I end up with messy boolits one way or another! If I’m tumble lubing then it’s not to big of a deal to put some up in inventory.

Valley-Shooter
12-10-2018, 10:36 PM
I put them in a plastic butter container and then proceed to loading them. No storage.

Outpost75
12-10-2018, 10:56 PM
I store sized and lubed bullets in plastic or foam ammunition box trays. This prevents the bases from getting damaged and the bullets don't bounce against each other so that soft lubes stay intact. I wrap the bullet trays in butcher paper to keep them from attracting dust, and stack them in metal ammo cans for storage. About 1000 .44 or .45 bullets fit into an M2A1 cal. .50 ammunition can and stored in this manner blackpowder lubes remain good for years and don't dry out.

trixter
12-11-2018, 03:01 PM
I store all of my boolits in Costco nut jars, their label (nut jar label)comes off very nicely and then I can see what is inside. I also put a piece of paper with a description on it in each jar. I have way too many of them. lol

poppy42
12-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Chinese plastic takeout food containers!

Kraschenbirn
12-11-2018, 04:59 PM
For years, I used plastic bullet trays from factory loads scrounged from the trash bin at our club range. Now, I PC everything except my pan-lubed (with Emmert's) BPCRs but for those they still work just great....38/9mm trays for .32-20s and .38-55s, .45 ACPs for .40s and .45s.

Bill

MT Gianni
12-11-2018, 05:52 PM
I try to minimize lubed bullet storage, but they do well in a basement that the temps vary from 60-75 F. I store them in ziplocks, and cardboard boxes by caliber. A paper goes stating date, hardness, and lube.

Hick
12-11-2018, 10:56 PM
With a sticky lube like Ben's red-- go ahead and use the zip locks but put them in the freezer.

Uncle Grinch
12-11-2018, 11:23 PM
I made small wooden trays about 6x9 with luan or Masonite bottoms. Then I stand up my lubed boolits in each one. They are stackable and are made from scrap lumber that I rip to the right size.

44Blam
12-12-2018, 12:21 AM
I made small wooden trays about 6x9 with luan or Masonite bottoms. Then I stand up my lubed boolits in each one. They are stackable and are made from scrap lumber that I rip to the right size.
I like this. You can drill slightly bigger than diameter... I imagine 6x9 can be 100 boolits maybe more.

rockshooter
12-12-2018, 01:34 AM
find a local electrician and get his discarded electrical tape plastic boxes. Also check thrift stores- all sorts of cheap craft storage boxes
Loren

winelover
12-12-2018, 07:49 AM
discarded electrical tape plastic boxes.
Loren

The round ones are what I use. IIRC, seventy (9mm/38') will fit, standing up, in each container. They will hold about forty-five, larger calibers (44 and 45) bullets . Then I stack six of the containers in a one pound metal coffee can. I use a grease pencil to write all pertinent information on the lids of them all. I had the electricians, at work, save the containers for me.

Winelover

Beagle333
12-12-2018, 09:07 AM
I cast em, lube em, and tumble them lightly in BLL to seal the lube. It doesn't remain sticky or dry out then.

georgerkahn
12-12-2018, 09:21 AM
In terms of storage, I bought the blue plastic boxes from MidwayUSA which I believe were made for that purpose, as well as emptied commercial bullet boxes (e.g., from Sierra, Hornady, etc.) from my j-bullet loading. One "trick" I do is placing bullets into Cool Whip containers immediately upon sizing/lubing, and then placing the container in refrigerator's freezer compartment, usually overnight. To me, it is an amazing difference as to how clean your fingers stay, alone, when then transferring the now-cold bullets to storage boxes.
geo