PDA

View Full Version : Dillon powder funnel, Lyman M or Redding 500 S&W

coatessey
12-08-2018, 10:58 PM
I am new to reloading for the 599 s&w. I have a Dillon 650 with the Redding pro carbide dies so there is no expander die.

Question is when reloading hitek coated Bullets is there a need for an M die? Is there any difference between the M die and the Redding expand die? Does anyone make or sell custom Dillon powder funnels in an M die setup?

I seat and crimp at different stations however when I seat at 1.944 and then profile crimp (taper and roll) the new oal is 1.94 and I cannot get much of a roll crimp.

ioon44
12-09-2018, 10:23 AM
I load all my Hi-Tek bullets with the Dillon funnels on my 550, I just open the mouth of the case so the coating does not get damaged.

There are some custom Dillon powder funnels in an M die setup, you might contact Lathesmith here on the forum.

coatessey
12-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I did contact him and I also ordered the Redding expander (modeled after the m die) and I really like how it functions. It also doesn’t require me to stand on my press like the Dillon funnel does after expanding.

I placed the expander in station 2 as I used to on my lnl when I had it and placed my powder measure in station 3. I never would have thought that it would work there but I read on another forum that someone else had successfully moved it there.

If I keep it there I will order another failsafe rod as it is a little further in station 3 and will require more bend for the rod to be straight.

Since I do not know of a 50 caliber bullet feeder I have no issue with losing a station.

Thanks again for the help and the recommendation.