PDA

View Full Version : new smelting shield

Lefty bullseye shooter
12-07-2018, 10:11 PM
I put this together yesterday and gave it a test run. Man did it cut down on the amount of fuel burned! I also picked up a new 30# cylinder from Tractor Supply and had it filled. I didn't know they sold it by the gallon. It's much cheaper to fill it there. The 30# fill was just under $20 at $2.49 a gallon.

I don't know why my picture rotated???

Chad5005
12-07-2018, 11:40 PM
im sure it saves a lot of gas and looks good too

Hossfly
12-07-2018, 11:55 PM
Is that a barrel cut out and placed over your pot and burner? Looks like good idea for saving fuel.

kevin c
12-08-2018, 02:11 AM
Looks well made, but I confess that I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. Could you please explain the construction?

Silvercreek Farmer
12-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Nice. Bulk fill is almost always cheaper than exchanging. Most exchanges are only 3/4 filled. I only exchange when my tank is out of date. This past summer, we went camping for 4 weeks on $4 and change worth of bulk propane. Might seem a little contradictory, but high BTU burners seem to use less propane per batch than smaller burners. Less heat loss over time.

lightman
12-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Nice looking shield. I have a 100# bottle in my shop that I smelt with and run my heater off of when I need to. Bulk propane is much cheaper than exchanges. A 30# bottle is a good compromise on size.

Markopolo
12-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Is that a German Shepard as your smelting partner???

beagle
12-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Make a big difference with a shield in cold weather. Had a bunch of WWs one winter and I decided to take the pot to the range and render them down on account of the smoke. Set up on a bunch, plugged it in and waited, waited, waited. No luck. Cool out and a light breeze. Finally made a shield and it allowed everything to go off all right./beagle

nun2kute
12-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Don't stop there !!! We need Assembly instructions and an Owners manual for that :-P

PowPow
12-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Don't stop there !!! We need Assembly instructions and an Owners manual for that :-P

And, don't forget the obligatory California Prop 65 warning, LOL:

"WARNING: Handling this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause [cancer, and] birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling."

Mike W1
12-08-2018, 05:18 PM
I'd really like to see a couple pictures of the setup without the shield as well as just what you used and how for the shield. I've a crude windbreak but this looks better than anything I've seen before.

mtgrs737
12-12-2018, 12:08 AM
I had a hose with the proper valves made up for filling my propane tanks from a 500 gallon tank that heats my home. I fill for $1.15 a gallon this year. Nice looking shield, would like more info on it, Pictures please.

Lefty bullseye shooter
12-13-2018, 10:36 PM
So here is the picture my set up without the shield. It is a propane tank pot I got from DCrocket. The burner I got off of Amazon and sent it to DCrocket and he reinforced the stand. I could park my truck on top of this thing no problem.

The shield is a "burn barrel" from Rural King. I cut it a half an inch taller than the pot and the stand. I then took a pair of linesman pliers and bent the cut edge out 90 degrees to strengthen thin cut edge. Next it found a part roll of masking tape in the shop and drew a circle in the side about 4" on opposite sides. I also rolled these edges to keep from having a sharp edge. These barrels are super soft and are easy to work.

I might and a 4" chimney to it because you cant turn up the burner all the way because the exhaust chokes out the flame and it pulses. However I didn't need to turn it up very high because it worked so well. Not sure if i'm gonna do it or not.

And yes that's a German Shepherd! She is my buddy. Goes everywhere with me and wants to be wherever I am.

Scott