PDA

View Full Version : Custom Molds

45 2.1
12-02-2005, 10:08 PM
After measureing all the custom molds that i've drawn and we've produced, I believe LEE is NEVER GOING TO GET IT RIGHT except by accident. Therefore I think that we should decide what diameters we want in wheelweights, then add 0.001" for Linotype spec. Linotype casts 0.0005" to 0.0008" larger than wheelweights for most of the range we do. This should cure their inability to figure out what diameter to cut to. It seems like they size our molds with linotype anyway from all the measurements taken over time. If nobody can come up with a better solution, then this is what i'm going to do.

old goat
12-02-2005, 11:25 PM
...45 2.1,
...Do you think it would worth the time to change the specs on those that have not, as yet, been sent to LEE?
...I know it would be trouble. Just a thought.

...old goat

PatMarlin
12-03-2005, 11:50 AM
I think it would be worth the effort to change the specs, cause another undersized mold from LEE is worthless to me.. :veryconfu

Cayoot
12-03-2005, 01:25 PM
After measureing all the custom molds that i've drawn and we've produced, I believe LEE is NEVER GOING TO GET IT RIGHT except by accident. Therefore I think that we should decide what diameters we want in wheelweights, then add 0.001" for Linotype spec. Linotype casts 0.0005" to 0.0008" larger than wheelweights for most of the range we do. This should cure their inability to figure out what diameter to cut to. It seems like they size our molds with linotype anyway from all the measurements taken over time. If nobody can come up with a better solution, then this is what i'm going to do.

Excellent Idea!

Bret4207
12-04-2005, 10:20 AM
It seems to be the only answer. Apprently they have their own ideas on specs and apply them despite all the work you and the other designers put into the drawings and what not. I thought after having at least one whole group of moulds sent back they'd get the idea. Too bad we have to cater to their ego, etc. to even get them to cut the moulds.

porkchop bob
12-04-2005, 12:59 PM
What is needed is about 1,000 pounds of certified WW alloy. 100 pounds to be sent to Lee and an ingot or two to each of the Honchos for running their acceptance tests. The rest maintained as the STANDARD and issued as needed.

Without a standard, all bets are off.

Such a project does have its cost. Factor it in as a part of the group buy.

Bob

Dutch4122
12-05-2005, 10:36 PM
The Linotype idea sounds like the way to go. Might be easier to hold their feet to the fire if it casts too small to a commonly available and known alloy that we don't have to pay to ship to them and pay for to keep them re-supplied.

Then if they try this "our Linotype is different than your Linotype" line we'll know it's definately time to consider giving up on the group buy process with Lee.

Just my .02 cents,

Char-Gar
12-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Guys..I have posted this before and maybe I am just deluded or "full of myself" but I don't think it is an accident that .311407 came on within tolerances for the specs.

I was very explicit in my instructions to Lee (in writing) that the drawing and specs were very well thought out and we would not accept any diviations from those specs. These instructions made it to the work order which went to the shop.

I spoke with the guy in charge of custom molds and he told me that we spoke the guy was grinding he tooling and would be making a test cast that day. I asked him if they had any problems with the drawings and he said they were just fine. He told me I would receive the molds within two weeks and I did.

I only made the one phone call and just let Lee do their thing and from this one experience, I have no complaints with them.

From all of this, I speculate that Lee is not used to doing business with somebody who is serious about the specs and makes the order conditioned on those specs. I speculate that Lee feels free to correct what they feel are mistakes in the specs that are sent. Most of their custom molds are made for folks who have less expertise than this group, and Lee doesn't want a bunch of complaints and makes the molds they way they feel they should be.

I really wonder if the problem may not be on our end. I don't know what letters and instructions go with the other orders, but perhaps we have not done what is necessary to get Lees attention to the serious nature of the specs sent.

From my experience Lee does have the capability of producing molds to spec and within stated tolerances.

PatMarlin
12-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Received my mold. Thanks Charles.

I think your letters and proceedures with LEE should be made available as standard boiler plate, here for ALL new mold deals and honchos.

This way LEE knows how to proceed every time.

This is ny second custom mold. The first was the Fat-30. I think both are real winners.

I hope the .45 mold deal I'm in on comes out as well.

mroliver77
12-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I think your letters and proceedures with LEE should be made available as standard boiler plate, here for ALL new mold deals and honchos.

This way LEE knows how to proceed every time.

I second that, Pat.
With every buy i have been involved in I push for larger diameters. For one reason most of my guns have large throats.(Wore out?) We get to a point that if the mold will cast at the spec'ed diameters I can live with it. Then Lee does their magic on them and I have a bullet too small for my needs. Specing them larger will work on the bodies as it is not a problem to size down.With a 6 cavity I prefer to have them large enought that .001 or so needs to be sized off to make all bullets the same diameter.(close) What if we add .0005 or .001 to the nose specs and they (for once) follow our specs and we end up with 25+ molds that nobody can use? I guess I have no answers here just thinking on paper. Adding some will work on most pistol boolits. Jay