PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Ranger

shtur
12-06-2018, 06:15 PM
I need some information on the Winchester Ranger 30-30 lever rifle. I know it was the economy model of the model 94.

My question; is the barrel the same quality of the regular model 94 as far as accuracy?

Der Gebirgsjager
12-06-2018, 06:46 PM
I've handled and fired both, and never noticed any difference in the barrels. In fact, I once fired a Ranger that was exceptionally accurate.

Shawlerbrook
12-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Like the Marlin 30AS and Glenfields are to 336’s, the Ranger is just dressed in plain Jane furniture. Mechicanically no difference between a Ranger and a standard 94.

bob208
12-06-2018, 11:19 PM
I have shot a lot Winchesters. never seen a ranger that did not shoot.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Should be no difference in terms of accuracy or reliability. The 2002 Ranger I used to have was very accurate and had a surprisingly good trigger pull. Now, the fit and finish is probably going to be lacking in some areas. Remember also, these rifles were usually sold to someone who was looking to spend as little money as possible on a deer rifle and were cared for accordingly.

farmbif
12-09-2018, 01:13 PM
The front sight is dovetailed into barrel rather than on a ramp other Winnie’s I have have a front ramp sight and sight hood except for the real old ones
The ranger has rebounding hammer which I don’t like too much at all but that’s just me but it shoots just fine
I think the furniture is birch defiantly not walnut

pietro
12-10-2018, 10:50 PM

For all the Ranger models across their product lines, Winchester economized by using wood less expensive than walnut, less polishing prior to bluing, and went with sight installations that required less machine work (sight ramp/shaping, D&T'ing, etc).

All internal metal parts, including the barrel, are the same parts used to assemble non-Ranger products.

OverMax
12-10-2018, 11:02 PM
I really don't know much about em. Like the OP I thought the same. (entry level lever rifles made by Win) Although I have occasionally over the years seen other hunters tote em in the woods for deer. As I recall nothing fancy just a plain jane shooter having acceptable accuracy.

veeman
12-11-2018, 12:09 AM
I've had one for 30 plus years, never knew it to be a lesser rifle. :)