PDA

View Full Version : Questions For Bullshop

Sako222
10-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Bullshop,

Longtime lurker, now registered.

My question deals with your Single Six centerfire conversion. I've got a fairly complete machine shop of my own and nice new Miller TIG setup. I'm confident in my skills, so doing the work is not a problem. I am curious how others have approached it and any advice they'd give if they were doing it again.

I have a suitable old fixed-sight conversion candidate. I plan to plug & then bore open the original bushing recess larger, and concentric with bore c/l. The top of the enlarged bushing bore would be tangent with the top of the original bushing bore. I'm hoping to re-use the original bushing retaining pin arrangement.

Did you re-position the firing pin bushing recess on the breech face so it was on center with the bore line or were you able to re direct the firing pin channel at a downward angle using a new bushing with the firing pin re-cut at an angle?

How did you handle the existing rimfire firing pin hole going thru the frame, weld it shut & re-locate & drill it, or fill it with a retaining screw?

Does the replacement bushing utilize the original retaining cross pin as the original did?

I've never seen a rf/cf conversion, only pictures of one that appeared to use a screw thru the original firing pin hole from the hammer side of the frame to hold an enlarged replacement bushing in like a drawbar. That would work, but I was curious how others have handled it. Using the original bushing retaining pin seems like the cleanest method, but I'd rather hear what an experienced voice has to say.

I'd appreciate any input.

Sako