PDA

View Full Version : I like 40 - 1 in the 44 on deer

Johnch
12-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Well I thought about it and it is acutualy 41 - 1 , 20 lb of pure lead and 1 lb of 50/50 bar solder .

I casted up some 310 gr Lee RF 44 cal gas checked bullets and used them on 2 doe's Monday out of my 7 1/2" Redhawlk .

1 was shot at 35 yd entering just in front of the rear leg and exiting thru the front shoulder blade .
Went straight down .
Masive internal damage

The other was a double lung shot braking a rib in and out .
Close to a 2 " exit wound
Range was 80 yds
It went 10 - 15 yds
With a blood trail a blind man could follow if he couldn't see the deer .

After I checked them in at the check station I went out to help a jacketed bullet shooter track his deer 3-400 yds .
When I got back my deer were already cut up and in the freezer .
Could not hang them in 70 degree temps , but I didn't get any pic's
Boy do I like to hunt with a bucher. :bigsmyl2:
He turns a deer into wraped cuts in 1/2 hr including grinding the burger.

Johnch

kenjuudo
12-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Well I thought about it and it is acutualy 41 - 1 , 20 lb of pure lead and 1 lb of 50/50 bar solder .

I casted up some 310 gr Lee RF 44 cal gas checked bullets and used them on 2 doe's Monday out of my 7 1/2" Redhawlk .

1 was shot at 35 yd entering just in front of the rear leg and exiting thru the front shoulder blade .
Went straight down .
Masive internal damage

The other was a double lung shot braking a rib in and out .
Close to a 2 " exit wound
Range was 80 yds
It went 10 - 15 yds
With a blood trail a blind man could follow if he couldn't see the deer .

After I checked them in at the check station I went out to help a jacketed bullet shooter track his deer 3-400 yds .
When I got back my deer were already cut up and in the freezer .
Could not hang them in 70 degree temps , but I didn't get any pic's
Boy do I like to hunt with a bucher. :bigsmyl2:
He turns a deer into wraped cuts in 1/2 hr including grinding the burger.

Johnch

You're a fortunate man indeed!! The guys I hunt with barely know which end of a knife to hold.

jim

45 2.1
12-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Good Job, soft alloy works great for hunting.

David R
12-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Face it, you are probably a better shot and know your gun better because you get tons of practice with those home made slugs.

Johnch

JDL
12-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Congrats on the deer. The soft alloys do work spectacularly, don't they? I can bearly get my hunting pards to field dress, let alone cut up and wrap.:-D -JDL

El Oso
12-07-2005, 09:45 PM
CONGRATS ON THE DEER HARD TO BEAT SOFT LEAD ON GAME. Got my deer at 10yrd with my 45 Colt in a vaquero, he only went about 30 yrd.Of course like DavidR said I practice so much with my home made bullets so much bullet placement was a leadpipe cinch. El Oso :Fire: