PDA

View Full Version : The Weather's Turned Cold... So What Do You Fix for Supper/Dinner

gwpercle
12-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Cold weather around here calls for a Gumbo !

This is my wife's favorite
Chicken Gizzards , Smoked Andouille Sausage a little leftover Thanksgiving turkey, a dark roux, onions, celery and bell pepper...slow simmered and served over white rice.
I put a big package of chicken gizzards and hearts in the slow cooker 7 am , tonight those little tidbits will be sooooo tender you can cut them with a plastic spoon .

A big bowl of Gizzard Gumbo , sprinkled with some File' Powder (ground dried sassafras leaves), hot buttered toasty French Bread...that's a meal hard to beat on a cold winter's night !

Gary

Hossfly
12-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Boudin and sweet tators.

square butte
12-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Home grown Turkey Craw beans cooked in bone broth made from oven roasted beef marrow bones, with ham thrown in, over fresh made cornbread - topped with pickled jalepeno peppers

Lance Boyle
12-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Just getting in from the woods. Lunch was two bananas and some tea biscuits on top of a cliff.

I have two pork chops baking on top of stuffing with apples, raisins and a splash of cream sherry. Going to have some mixed veggies with it. Had half a celery stalk with pb on it to hold me.

dverna
12-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Venison chili. Made a huge pot for deer camp and still have some frozen that I can cook up quick.

country gent
12-05-2018, 08:22 PM
I made a meatloaf pattie and corn. Fried the meatloaf up like a burger with ketchup and cheese on it

MT Gianni
12-05-2018, 08:30 PM
Soup or stews are always good. My granddaughter calls my version "Stoop". Dice and onion and saute it in a little oil. Add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic just before it gets translucient then add cubed venison. Brown then reduce heat and add chopped celery, carrots, and water. If you like it add a can of V-8 and some italian diced tomatoes. Cook for 4 hrs or so, I tend to have very little liquid in mine. I add frozen corn and peas 20 minutes before serving and adjust liquid. Salt and pepper to taste.

MaryB
12-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Roast beef with potatoes and carrots cooked in it.

Houndog
12-05-2018, 10:10 PM
I had homemade beef stew served over a bed of rice for supper tonight! That's one of my favorite cold weather comfort foods!

trails4u
12-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Bourbon. :razz:

bob208
12-05-2018, 11:50 PM
wife made a big pot of turkey corn soup. we have been eating on it for 2 days now. we will finish it off next 2 days. next week I will make a big crock-pot of vegetable beef soup . I make Irish soda bread to go with in. I also do beer brats tater rounds on the wood stove.

Chad5005
12-06-2018, 01:11 AM
my wife made smoked sausage fajitas tonight,purdy tasty

Tom W.
12-06-2018, 01:25 AM
Chad, one day I'm gonna knock on your door.......

Chad5005
12-06-2018, 01:38 AM
Chad, one day I'm gonna knock on your door.......

the wife and I always say we got to call you next time we get to Columbus or phenix city and havent been that way in months lol

shaner
12-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Chicken&homemade dumplings

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

lightman
12-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Deer Chili or Beef Stew are always welcome on a cold night. I spent my whole working life outside and there was many a cold wet miserable day that I looked forward to a hot meal and a hot shower.

Smoke4320
12-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Homemade deer/pork/jalepeno and cheddar cheese brats

gwpercle
12-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Soup or stews are always good. My granddaughter calls my version "Stoop". Dice and onion and saute it in a little oil. Add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic just before it gets translucient then add cubed venison. Brown then reduce heat and add chopped celery, carrots, and water. If you like it add a can of V-8 and some italian diced tomatoes. Cook for 4 hrs or so, I tend to have very little liquid in mine. I add frozen corn and peas 20 minutes before serving and adjust liquid. Salt and pepper to taste.

Stoop... Sounds good...love the daughter's name for it !
Gary

Reverend Al
12-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Your version sounds really good so I copied and printed out your recipe and will give it a whirl! It will obviously need a big batch of home-made "Camp Cook's Best Biscuits" to go along with it ...

THE CAMP COOK'S BEST BISCUITS

Ingredients

- 4 cups of flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter or Crisco
- 2/3 cup whole sweet milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 tsp baking powder

Preparation & Cooking

Add the dry ingredients to the flour, mix well. Cut in the shortening with two knives or a pastry blender. Add the milk and beaten eggs. Mix only until blended. (Do not overwork the dough and you will get light and flakey biscuits!) Press the dough (do not roll) into a cake about 3/4 inch thick. Dust with additional flour as needed. Cut rounds with a clean, empty, floured 14 oz. tin can. Place the rounds closely in a frying pan or baking sheet and bake at about 450 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden. The amounts given here will make about one dozen "man sized" biscuits. This beautiful bread is good with butter, better with honey, but BEST when drowned in thick, rich sausage gravy.

Gewehr-Guy
12-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Those biscuits sound good covered with some home canned deer and a rich gravy, then another for dessert with lots of butter and homemade jam.

Biggin
12-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Homemade beef stew and corn bread. And it ain't that cake you Yankees call corn bread either LOL!!!!!!

Xringshooter
12-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Saturday, cold, blustery day, we made stuffed cabbage slow cooker soup. 1-1/2# browned hamburger, can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato soup, diced onions, 3 tablespoons of minced garlic, small head of cabbage cut up into about 1" pieces, 4 cups of beef broth, 2/3 c rice. All in the slow cooker for 6 hours on high, stir every so often. That and home made biscuits for supper.

JoeJames
12-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Chili on a bed of rice with plenty of Louisiana Hot Sauce. I lived down in Ouachita Parish for a spell.

762 shooter
12-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Navy bean soup cooked with a big ol hambone and cornbread chock full of onions.

gwpercle
12-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Chili on a bed of rice with plenty of Louisiana Hot Sauce. I lived down in Ouachita Parish for a spell.
You from up North La. The Monroe area !

My wife is from New Orleans , she likes Chile on elbow macaroni with Parmesan cheese... that's from her Italian heritage .
I like Ritz crackers with mine.... no pasta .

I like your avatar
Gary

JoeJames
12-11-2018, 10:48 AM
You from up North La. The Monroe area !

My wife is from New Orleans , she likes Chile on elbow macaroni with Parmesan cheese... that's from her Italian heritage .
I like Ritz crackers with mine.... no pasta .

I like your avatar
GaryGenuine Neville Tiger here, well back in the 60's anyhow. rabbit hunted in the swamps around Monroe. Chili on spaghetti, shredded cheddar cheese with lots of Louisiana hot sauce.

gwpercle
12-11-2018, 01:49 PM
The Gizzard Gumbo turned out fantastic, the wife and I ate on it for three days.... I didn't let one tablespoon go to waste.
It sounds weird but if you like gizzards...try them in a gumbo after tenderizing in the crock pot !
Gary