PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Bpc

missionary5155
10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Yea I know this is not the convetional rifle cartridge but with a .685 RB and 135 grains 2F (no idea what brand here in Peru) it is not something you could say is underpowered. I was using 125-135 grains in a regular plastic hull but the hulls deteriorated rapidly. After 2 shots they were apt to seperate. This "cartridge" uses a standard Winchester wad "plastic patch" (the reason for .685 and not a bore ridding ball) that I modify to match the powder column adding other wads and cards as needed. The ball can also be seated deeper into the case with less powder. It does not seem to matter if the ball has the sprue up or down or completely removed "surgicly". I normally trim the shot cup pettals down to at least the ball height if seated inside the case. If the ball is extended then I trim them to the case rim but never shorter than the full ball diameter. An old Lyman catalog (reprint) showed starting loads at 85 grains 2F. Using 2f Black powder gives alot of versitility and loading options without serious pressure problems suddenly springing to life. I increase my loads at 5 grains incriments. I have not passed 135 as I have no need of any more power. My Mossberg Cylinder barrel is a 3" Magnum chamber. I soldered a german silver rifle sight at the muzzle and with a witness mark on the receiver gives "minute of paper plate" out to 45 yards. These brass cases are Remington and primed with large rifle primers. Fun to shoot and will certainly give you another Black Powder Cartridge option. As with all cartridge barrels slug your bore and match the ball to your barrel. Round ball does NOT choke down.. your choke will open up. :-(

longbow
10-05-2008, 12:33 PM
missionary:

Have you tried using paper hulls?

I also found plastic hull life rather short with loads using 0.690" RB up to 120 grs. of black. The plastic seems to "cook" and the inside surface and case mouth look melted. I am not sure if BP burns hotter than smokeless or slower so more contact time ~ since there is so much more of it I'm thinking slower/longer.

I was thinking of going brass cartridge but wasn't doing enough shooting of these to worry about it so just used old hulls for 1 or 2 loads then "retired" them.

I've never tried the paper hulls but they are still available. If you have tried them, did they give better life than plastic? If you haven't then maybe one of the cowboy action shooters or a BP lover could advise on life of paper hulls.

Longbow

missionary5155
10-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Negative on the paper hulls... I found these Brass cases down here. Feller had 5 and I snaped them up along with 50 28 gauge brass cases.

longbow
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Does that mean you tried them and they don't last or you haven't tried them?

missionary5155
10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
No paper hulls to be found down here... People down here 1 recycle everything.. to mean if it has value they use it to obscurity.. 2 if any were found they are well used.. abused.. so I cannot help on that.. The brass ones... well they take it very well.... Just have to dit tank them... and as I only have 5 in 12 bore it is not to grevious..