PDA

View Full Version : Beer From Australia ??

Johnch
12-02-2018, 11:56 PM
OK every Christmass we pick a new country or area to base our food and drinks from

This year we picked Australia
I am to get the drinks

Many of the family just drink Water ,Tea or coffee
I even will get a few bottles of Wine

But Dad , my brother and several others are beer drinkers ....Most want a IPA
I will fake my Beer by sticking some Guinness in the frig ..... I am sure it is imported there also

But I need the name of a decent beer from Australia that I can find somewhere around Toledo , Ohio to get for the party

2 decent beers for them to try would be a even better help

Any ideas ??

John

Walks
12-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Foster's

The National Drink of Australia

dansedgli
12-03-2018, 12:51 AM
I havent seen anyone drink Fosters since my Dad used to 30 years ago.

XXXX, VB, Toohey's New, Carlton Draught, Coopers.

None of them are good though.

Get some Bundaberg rum. :)

Walks
12-03-2018, 12:55 AM
That's about the last time I Drank anything.

zymguy
12-03-2018, 02:31 AM
I dont know what they drink in Australia ,statistically its probably bud light. It is often repeated in beer circles that they do NOT drink fosters in australia, its for tourists in the US

dansedgli
12-03-2018, 02:33 AM
Not much bud light here.

Check out https://www.danmurphys.com.au

Stephen Cohen
12-03-2018, 02:48 AM
I havent seen anyone drink Fosters since my Dad used to 30 years ago.

XXXX, VB, Toohey's New, Carlton Draught, Coopers.

None of them are good though.

Get some Bundaberg rum. :)

All of the above and remember beer is like women there are no bad ones, some are just better than others. Regards Stephen

swamp
12-03-2018, 03:15 AM
I read the label on a Fosters can one time. It was brewed and bottled in Canada. Haven't had it since.
swamp

ericandelaine1975
12-03-2018, 04:24 AM
All of the above and remember beer is like women there are no bad ones, some are just better than others. Regards StephenNot sure I'd agree with that. The Milwaukee Beast is pretty bad. Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sav300
12-03-2018, 04:34 AM
BUD light? Try searching for australian beers and we have quiet a few small small brewries.
Hanh light is my beer to drink in summer.

sav300
12-03-2018, 04:36 AM
Johnch,look for a beer importer u maybe lucky.

zymguy
12-03-2018, 06:26 AM
Not sure I'd agree with that. The Milwaukee Beast is pretty bad. Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

milwaukee best is ownd by and made in some of the same breweries as the owner of fosters, that's not to say there they same

Budlight is the most sold in the world, that's why i guessed it. These days with Inbev and SAB together its possible that there are places in the world where inbev makes fosters (im not saying they do, just that its pretty darned complicated)
Prosit !

Shepherd2
12-03-2018, 08:22 AM
In a city as big as big as Toledo there should be a least one carryout that has imported beers. There is one in Columbus that has beers from all over the world.

I used to stop there and get Tiger Brand beer from Singaphore. Had it at a Brit enlisted men's club in Aden back in the early 60s and loved it. Now I only get to Columbus on Christmas day and they are closed.

I'd check for such a carry out in your area.

bullet maker 57
12-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Don't know of any beer, but Yellow Tail wine is Australian.

Handloader109
12-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Fosters makes an ale, green can, not blue. Pretty good stuff. Way better than their lager.

William Yanda
12-03-2018, 10:26 AM
I do not indulge, but I can recall seeing "Beers of the World" in a couple of locations. Is there one, or something similar near you?

JoeJames
12-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Fosters makes an ale, green can, not blue. Pretty good stuff. Way better than their lager.Supply wagons don't make it that far into the wilds of NE Arkansas for Fosters Ale, but a buddy of mine from Little Rock brings me some now and then. It is great! May be a good thing that I do not have access to it all the time. Too tasty for this old hillbilly to drink on a regular basis.

Powder Burn
12-03-2018, 11:54 AM

Jniedbalski
12-03-2018, 12:18 PM
I have drank the fosters and to me it was just like every other beer. I once found a fosters special bitters that was awesome. I haven’t ever found it since. I need to look for it at my local grocery store schnucks .they have about every kind of beer wine and spirits. Huge inventory

Tom W.
12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
I bought two cans of Fosters once. I don't remember which one was worse, but I have had an IPA once. I quickly figured out that stands for " It's Pretty Awful." Now I'll drink Abita. Lori bought me a six pack in march, there are three still left....

CA Dude
12-03-2018, 02:03 PM
When I was in Sidney, I drank Pure Platinum. As I recall it had a good looking Blonde on the label, but I did drink a lot of it, so I could be wrong.

bikerbeans
12-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Churchills in Maumee and Perrysburg have a good import beer selection.

BB

Mk42gunner
12-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Twenty five to thirty years ago when I made a few port visits to Australia, XXXX and Victoria Bitters were fairly good local beers. I also had a few Steinlager's from New Zealand that was pretty good.

One big point, beers imported into the US don't taste the same as they do overseas. I don't know what they do to them, but the beer tastes different. I found a Steinlager at a bar in San Diego and it was barely drinkable, quite a letdown.

After the first few they all taste the same anyway.

Robert

Taylor
12-03-2018, 06:21 PM
In Australia in '79, I was told abut Fosters. We don't drink that stuff, we send it to the states. But I found Carlton and Castlemains XXXX was good.

heelerau
12-03-2018, 06:41 PM
We don't drink Fosters down under, when I visited the US years ago, every one I visited offered me Fosters, I preferred your Millers Draught ! Most of those mentioned by Dan are good. Being an expat South Australian living in Western Australia, I would recommend Coopers.

Outpost75
12-03-2018, 06:56 PM
My neighbor is an Aussie expat who claims to be an accomplished animal trainer. He learned as a young lad how to train the young male colts and occasional wild camel to expertly urinate into the open bottle without spilling even a wee drop.

His name is Foster by the way, so indeed must be true...

Aye Coopers@!

RU shooter
12-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Just buy some cheap American stuff and sharpie a kangaroo on it ! After enough of them no one will ever know or care ......:)

Big Tom
12-03-2018, 10:45 PM
There is "Jungle Jims" just north of Cincinnati, OH - they have a huge selection of imported beers. Maybe worth the 3.5 hr drive from Toledo... and you can call if they have Australian beer.
I just don't get why you don't want real beer. The stuff they brew in Germany... the brew that they use to make Bud Light (I bottle of German beer into 100 gallons of water, then bottle it...) :-)

MaryB
12-03-2018, 10:45 PM
you can read beer reviews here https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/

KenT7021
12-05-2018, 05:32 PM
The AussiesI knew in Vietnam during the 60's drank blues and greens.The green was Foster bitter.They also had Castelmaine but I think most of that was sold on the black market to get rid of it.The only thing I can say about the beer they had was that it was better than the beer we had.If you wanted a real experience it was going bar crawling with Aussie GI's.They had a very high opinion of their ability to drink.They did OK.

iomskp
12-06-2018, 04:28 AM
I stopped drinking 10 + years ago but until then I believed we only had 2 types of beer in Australia good beer and better beer.

jsizemore
12-06-2018, 08:45 AM
All of the above and remember beer is like women there are no bad ones, some are just better than others. Regards Stephen

Must I remind you of Rosie O'Donnell.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Fosters makes an ale, green can, not blue. Pretty good stuff. Way better than their lager.

About 10 years ago was the first time I seen a can of Foster's Ale, I gave it a try. I am a home brewer and am pretty fussy, I don't care for American lagers. I was really surprised by Foster's Ale, it rivals the best made American craft brewed Pale Ale. BTW, the cans I bought in Minnesota, were labeled on the cans as brewed and bottled in Texas, per the original recipe.

For Giggles, I re-bottled one of these Texan Foster's Ale into a homebrew bottle, and brought it to a Home brew meeting. All my homebrew buddies commented that it was one of the most balanced Pale Ale's that they ever tasted...I then produced the can...that left them speechless, LOL.

So, that is my recommendation.

RED BEAR
12-07-2018, 08:05 AM
it really amazes me how light beers have taken off. in my youth i drove a beer truck and can still remember light beer kits it was a bottle of beer and a bottle of water. light beer is what used to be called 3/2 beer around here that no one wanted but call it light and you have a hit. sorry can't help with aussie beer. but a quick search should help.

Minerat
12-08-2018, 08:44 PM
We has a New Zealand water professor at CSU in 1973 that drank Mickeys Wide mouth. Said it was the closest to his native beer here in the US once he got it fixed. He kept it in the trunk of his car in the summer and would pour it in a glass and whip all the carbonation out of it so it was flat.

Valley-Shooter
12-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Matilda Bay Redback was my favorite beer when I visited Australia a couple of times. Wish I could find some bottles around here.

Stephen Cohen
12-09-2018, 06:17 AM
My neighbor is an Aussie expat who claims to be an accomplished animal trainer. He learned as a young lad how to train the young male colts and occasional wild camel to expertly urinate into the open bottle without spilling even a wee drop.

His name is Foster by the way, so indeed must be true...

Aye Coopers@!

I can vouch for this but the camel was very sick at the time. Regards Stephen

Lloyd Smale
12-10-2018, 07:22 AM
baseball apple pie and bud!

winelover
12-10-2018, 07:58 AM
It's Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet..............anything but Bud or Miller.:drinks:

Winelover

Ed K
12-10-2018, 08:16 AM
When I got started on Foster's (blue or green), it came in a steel oil can and most certainly was imported - not domestic/Canadian. It was pretty good. Other than that, which is no longer available, would have to second the Redback suggestion.

Southern Son
12-10-2018, 08:40 AM
NOT West End Bitter. Never. That stuff cures alcoholism. It will give you a hang over, AS YOU DRINK IT. Just one or two ended my night out. The story I was told when I first encountered it was that it is made in South Australia and shipped all over Western Australia, the Northern Territory, Western NSW and Western Queensland, and because of this, they loaded it with preservatives. I cannot stress this enough. Drink anything else (I mean anything, unleaded petrol will not make you as sick).

On the subject of good stuff, I don't mind XXXX Gold (mid strength), Carlton Cold is also OK. But it you want something really nice, get some Bundaberg Rum and some Bundaberg Ginger Beer. Mix up some Dark and Stormies.

15meter
12-10-2018, 06:26 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Holloway-Liquor-Store/273359069426151

This is on Airport Highway between US-23 and the airport, may be a place to start.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2018, 09:11 AM
sorry frenchys and Californians drink wine. us rednecks drink bud.
It's Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet..............anything but Bud or Miller.:drinks:

Winelover

Smoke4320
12-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Fosters..... Australian for pi@@

Kraschenbirn
12-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Once upon a time, in Sydney, my favorite watering hole was a pub down near Circular Quay called 'The First and The Last' where the house lager was an English brew called Whatney's Red Barrel. Alas, so far as I can determine, the Whatney's label is long gone and, but for the memory, so is the pub.

Bill

crankycalico
12-16-2018, 01:11 AM
IF you want to find good Australian beer, asks an Englishman what he drinks for beer when in Australian, and avoid those recommendations..

beer, guns, and ladies from Czechoslovia have always been a hit