PDA

View Full Version : Another Round Ball for 28 Gauge Question

Satokad
12-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Good Afternoon Folks,

I am going to try some round ball in 28 gauge. I was thinking of using a Lee .490 or .495 mold and sitting it on a BPI brush wad. My only choke choices are IC and M out of a Stoeger Condor. The round ball size is changeable but the choke sizes are not.
Thoughts?
Thanks.

SuperBlazingSabots
12-02-2018, 05:00 PM
Greetings Satokad, you can read my post on 28 ga here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?150140-VdoMemorie-Blazing-Sabot!/page37
Best regards,
Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots

Satokad
12-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Thank you kindly.

Satokad
12-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Well, I ended up with .535 round balls. I didn't see any reference to one that big in the literature. I ran them through both barrels with the chokes and they came through with no problems or force needed. If I have them loaded on top of a brush wad (no petals), there shouldn't be any problems, should there? I have it loaded over 18 grains of 800X with a felt wad between the powder and the wad (it's a published BPI 1/2 oz load cut back by 3 grains as a starting point).
Thanks.

Jack Ryan
12-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Good Afternoon Folks,

I am going to try some round ball in 28 gauge. I was thinking of using a Lee .490 or .495 mold and sitting it on a BPI brush wad. My only choke choices are IC and M out of a Stoeger Condor. The round ball size is changeable but the choke sizes are not.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
Put a round ball you want to use inside a wad you want to use and put a choke in the gun. Now put the ball in the wad inside the petals, in the end of the gun and if you can push it through there with one finger so it falls the rest of the way then yer good.

Satokad
12-20-2018, 05:00 PM
Put a round ball you want to use inside a wad you want to use and put a choke in the gun. Now put the ball in the wad inside the petals, in the end of the gun and if you can push it through there with one finger so it falls the rest of the way then yer good.

Yep. The wad I'm using doesn't have petals. The ball rolls through the chokes just fine, but with less room than the .490 ball did, obviously.
Thanks for the help.

Markopolo
12-20-2018, 05:20 PM
I have used that brush wad, and the stump wad a bunch. They really work nice for the rb’s...

Jack Ryan
12-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Yep. The wad I'm using doesn't have petals. The ball rolls through the chokes just fine, but with less room than the .490 ball did, obviously.
Thanks for the help.

I never realized you weren't using the petals until after I'd posted so I just edited mine to make sure you knew I was talking about using the wad petals.

Texas by God
12-21-2018, 12:03 AM
I opened some 1 oz. 28ga S&B shells, dumped out the shot,cut the petals off the wad, dropped in a .530" rb and sealed them off with LLA. At 50 yds, fist size groups from a NEF modified choke. They'd drop a deer handily at that range.

Fishman
12-29-2018, 12:04 AM
I did some experimenting with 28 gauge round ball and those results are in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?126692-28-gauge-roundball