PDA

View Full Version : 3 Screw 44 mag Blackhawk help

Blacky Montana
12-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Hey guys,
Yesterday I found a original 3 screw 44 mag Blackhawk at my local gun shop. I was kind of rushed so didn't have time to examine it closely. It is still in original box, 7 1/2 barrel, and seemed to be in excellent condition. Asking price is around $780 I believe. I'm going back to get a better look. What are the main things I need to look for to determine value, such as safety upgrades. Or how can I tell if everything is original. Biggest question, what is it worth?

shooting on a shoestring
12-01-2018, 09:50 AM
I suggest you have a quick read of the sticky above called “Revolver Inspection the Right Way”. I’d add you should check to see if it has a transfer bar installed. If it clicks 4 times when cocking and there is no spatula looking hand between the hammer and firing pin, then it’s an unmodified 3 Screw. Those are most desirable bc many (most?) have been sent back to Ruger for the transfer bar modification after the 1973 lawsuit.

As to value, well a retail price of $780 for an unmodified 3 Screw sounds about right for what I’ve seen in Austin and Houston markets. Not a bargain to me, but worth the money if you want one. They don’t turn up often any more so if you want it, get it soon bc someone will.

boommer
12-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Worth in a 44mag is were you are buying or selling a big bore mag in store. the area I live in they sit on the shelves for awhile priced at 600 and pick one up for 500 a year or so ago in like new, box, no papers, no mods. BE sides deer hunting no much use for one around here so the market is small on big bores. The old 3 screws 357 mag will bring 700 to 800 worn 550.

kungfustyle
12-01-2018, 10:36 AM
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70179/Ruger+0802+Super+Blackhawk+6RD+44MAG+7.5
I bough one at a gun show and the thing shot about 12" high at 25 yards. Put a Burris scope on it and never looked back. At that price I would go new. Ruger makes a fine gun.

Blacky Montana
12-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Update on 3 screw.. I went back today. It's a 1972, all original, 4 click, no rust, and no cylinder drag marks. Also in original serial numbered box. His asking price is $750. I also noticed the black wide spur hammer is still clean black. Really doesnt look like it's ever been shot..

contender1
12-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Figure the box at $120,,, and the gun at $565 according to the current price guide from the Red Eagle News Exchange. If it has the manual,,, add another $20. The brown book wrap shipper will add another $40.

Blacky Montana
12-01-2018, 08:43 PM
So if I can get him down to $700 or below its a decent deal..? Also, can the 3 screw handle the same kind of pressure as the new models. I know the cylinder is unflutted.

El Bibliotecario
12-01-2018, 09:09 PM
So if I can get him down to $700 or below its a decent deal..? Also, can the 3 screw handle the same kind of pressure as the new models. I know the cylinder is unflutted.

The 'unflutted' [sic] cylinder is the norm for both three screw and later models. I don't think the action (three v. two screws) has an impact on the weapon's ability to handle pressure. If that were my primary concern I would buy a later model for less money and not pay a significant collector premium for a three screw model with a box.

Walks
12-01-2018, 09:32 PM
I thought the 7 1/2" .44Mag BlackHawk's were a bit rare. That most were made in 6 1/2" bbl. All the old model std .44Mags were discontinued at the changeover to the New Model with transfer bar. Only the SUPER BLACKHAWK'S with 7 1/2" bbl and then 10 1/2" bbl were made with the Dragoon Grip for almost 20 years, after the changeover.

Blacky Montana
12-01-2018, 09:58 PM
I know the action has nothing to do with pressure strength. I just didn't know if even the OLD blackhawks could handle over SAMMI specs. I'm just trying to learn more about the pistol I might purchase.

Texas by God
12-01-2018, 11:56 PM
I thought the 7 1/2" .44Mag BlackHawk's were a bit rare. That most were made in 6 1/2" bbl. All the old model std .44Mags were discontinued at the changeover to the New Model with transfer bar. Only the SUPER BLACKHAWK'S with 7 1/2" bbl and then 10 1/2" bbl were made with the Dragoon Grip for almost 20 years, after the changeover.The original .44 Blackhawk was 6-1/2" and unfluted cylinder. As stated the Super Blackhawk introduced the dragoon grip/tg protected adj sight, and unfluted cylinder as well as 7.5" barrel. That one is pre(barely) New Model Super Blackhawk.
You won't lose money on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Walks
12-02-2018, 12:53 AM
My buddy has an OM .44Mag 6 1/2" with a fluted cylinder.

contender1
12-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Ok, pressures.
The OM 44 SUPER Blackhawk can handle the same pressures as the New Model Supers. The frame size is the same. In 1963,, the Flattops were discontinued,, and the frame size was "standardized" to where they can all handle "Ruger Only " loads & pressures. (This has nothing to do with the New Model Flattops,, as there have been changes to frame sizes in recent years.) We'll stick to OM's only here.
The barrel lengths.
The Super was introduced in 1959,, WHILE the Flattop 44 Blackhawk was still in production. The .44 Flattop was mostly built with a 6-1/2" bbl, while the Super started & stayed mostly with the 7-1/2" bbl. A 7-1/2" FT .44 is rarer,, and worth more,, as is the SUPER with a 6-1/2" bbl. The SUPER with the 6-1/2" bbl was made due to an error in 1967. If someone has a Super in 6-1/2" bbl,, it needs to be verified by a factory letter. So,,,, to address Walks comments,, if it says "Blackhawk" on the frame,, then the 6-1/2" is more likely correct. if it says "Super Blackhawk" on the frame,, then the serial number range for the rare ones is between 24300 to 27164. If his friends gun falls in between these numbers,, I'd spend the $10 for the factory letter. The value difference is significant,, ESPECIALLY if the gun letters & is in pristene condition.

If you are looking for a nice shooter,,, w/o worries about pressures,, you can buy that 1972 OM Super with confidence.

Ed K
12-02-2018, 11:38 AM
There are references to both "over SAAMI" and "Ruger-Only" in regards to pressure in this thread. To be clear this language should be limited to discussions of Ruger Blackhawk revolvers and 45 Colt cartridges, not 44 Remington Magnum.

contender1
12-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Uhh,, this discussion is about the SUPER Blackhawk,,, in 44 magnum. The OP was asking about an OM Super. There is a bit of confusion about the Blackhawk in .44 Magnum,, which was built on the smaller FT frame from 1956 until 1963. I was trying to clarify this a bit. And,, to add to this,, the main frames of the OM Blackhawks, and OM Super Blackhawks built from 1963 until 1973 were the same size & strength.

pjames32
12-02-2018, 01:33 PM
I have an older model 44mag Blackhawk with a FLUTED CYLINDER. 6 1/2" barrel purchased used in the mid 70's. The cylinder blueing has a purplish color which I'm told is correct.

Blacky Montana
12-02-2018, 02:50 PM
I will more than likely end up buying this 1972 SBH, and hopefully can get the price down to $700 or below. I look at it this way. Not only is it in excellent condition with original box, but unlike one I may find on line, this one I can actually hold and see. Where as judging one by pics on line there could be imperfections missed. I use to deal with a lot of old valuable die cast cars and trucks, and there was on fact that always held true. Regardless of what any price guide book may say, ANY COLLECTABLE is only worth what a collector is willing to pay. For me, even if I have to pay the full $750, I personally will be satisfied. I don't currently have a 3 screw in my single action collection, plus I love the old colt 4 click, load one, skip one, load four. This one is all original and in excellant shape. I'll be happy with it. Thanks for all you guys giving me more info on the old 3 screws. As always this forum is a great help.

Blacky

Ed K
12-02-2018, 06:47 PM
I am well aware that this is a (Super) Blackhawk thread. That is why terms such as "Ruger-only" and "over SAAMI pressure" are of concern.

OP: While none of us would take a rare unfired gen1 Colt and use it as a truck gun, the value of most Ruger collectibles are just not that high to deter anyone from buying one to use as an everyday gun if it is what you want. Go for it and don't look back. You could spend quite a bit of time trying to find another and if you were to resort to the internet shipping and transfer fees would have to be added even if you could fine a better deal on something - and that's not taking into account the confidence you have in this "bird in the hand".

ShooterAZ
12-02-2018, 06:56 PM
If it's really all original, and you really want it, I think you need to go for it. Last year I picked up a NIB "Ruger Old Army" and I don't regret that purchase one bit. I had been looking for one for a quite a while. They just don't make these guns any more, and they are becoming more scarce by the minute. If you do decide to get it, please keep us updated on how she shoots. Best of luck on your purchase.

Blacky Montana
12-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Yes.. I don't want it for "collectors value". I want it to shoot. I just love the old models..

ShooterAZ
12-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Yep, same thing for my Old Army. A friend picked it up at a gun show for me, because he knew I was looking for one. I've been shooting the daylights out of it, because that's why I bought it. To shoot.

contender1
12-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Kudos. Buying a gun you like,, will make you happier,, than if you didn't and later look back saying; "I wish I had." And,, at a current collector value of about $685,,, (or more if it has the manual,) the difference of $50-$65 isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. As you have noted,, you can see it,,, handle it,, and make sure it's what you want. And as noted,, internet sales with shipping transfer fees etc,, it could cost you more,, and you not get the hands on inspection.

And concerning "Ruger Only" loads,, a few reloading manuals use this terminology,, and you mentioned "over SAAMI specs." I can attest that the Super will handle any normal 44 mag loads,, and we all know we should stay within the loads published in the manuals. I can personally say I have loaded & fired many, many different loads in many Rugers over the years. I have never felt the need to exceed any published load data,,, and have OFTEN found the most accurate loads to be below the maximums listed. Let your gun decide what it likes the best.

Drm50
12-03-2018, 02:01 AM
The old 3 screw SBH is a better fitted and finished gun than new models. They are just as strong as
new ones too. Triggers are a lot better. I have not seen one in the kind of shape described by OP
with box, docs for less. I've seen a lot of them for more. One like that is worth the price of a new one and will always have more resale value. It's same with 3screw Blackhawks, 357 is most common the
30carbine, 41 mag & 45s bring about same money as SBH, condition being the same. There is no
such animal as a 2 screw.

Char-Gar
12-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Buy it and enjoy it! I have long ago quit picking over pennies. Doing so made me pass on many guns I wish I had bought.

Blacky Montana
12-03-2018, 12:58 PM
I'm glad I spotted the 3 screw. I had gone in there cause a buddy of mine told me he had a Talo SBH 44 mag 7 1/2 Turnbul CCH.. Which also is a gorgeous SA..

JoeJames
12-03-2018, 01:50 PM
There's a reason that the Ruger recall has gone on for 50 years or so; if keeping it loaded, only load 5 and keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. Now, my conscience is clear.

Blacky Montana
12-03-2018, 02:47 PM
My normal EDC is a 4 3/4 Colt 45. Load one, skip one, load four. Even load the same on range. Have even loaded my old Vaqueros same way out of habit..lol

JoeJames
12-03-2018, 03:27 PM
My normal EDC is a 4 3/4 Colt 45. Load one, skip one, load four. Even load the same on range. Have even loaded my old Vaqueros same way out of habit..lolThanks. I had forgotten the exact formula. I tried to dredge it up, but just could not come up with it. Safer for me to just say keep it on an empty chamber.

Thin Man
12-04-2018, 08:59 AM
Blacky, buy that revolver and buy it now. From your comments on this thread you have already decided you want it but are confronted by the price. The only thing worse than arguing with yourself over the price of a firearm is - buyer's remorse over the one that got away from you. Please don't ask me how I know about buyer's remorse. It is still too painful to discuss the details. If this one gets away from you it will cause a painful memory that will last much longer then the price you paid for the find. Buy it today!

Blacky Montana
12-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Thin Man you are so correct. Only thing I'm waiting on is my Christmas Bonus...lol. Which buys me a new firearm every year..:)
In past years it always comes this week..

Blacky Montana
12-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Ya at. Boss just confirmed that our Christmas bonus will be in this week's check. So I called my LGS and told him I'd be in Friday to pick it up. He said he was taking it out of showcase and putting my name on it.. OUTSTANDING..

Blacky

contender1
12-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Kudos!!!!!!!!!

Ed K
12-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Good move!

Blacky Montana
12-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Guess I just love the older style guns. When I grab a pistol, it's a single action. If I need a rifle, I grab one of my lever actions. If I need a shotgun, I grab a single shot. And I I hunt muzzleloader, it's always my Hawkins...lol. Funny part, is I have two gun safes full of more high tech type pistols, rifles, and shotguns. But I seem to always go "old school".

GOPHER SLAYER
12-06-2018, 03:41 PM
I bought a very nice 44 Mag Ruger three screw in the early 1980s for $150 and really liked it. It had a 6 & 1/2 inch barrel and fluted cylinder. Unfortunately I was forced to sell it to pay college tuition for our son. A great 1st gen Colt in .45 went with it. I had owned a SBH earlier and hated it. It was just too big and heavy. I dumped it. The three screw was built on the same frame as the .357 flat top and just could not handle the pressures of the later SBH. Elmer Kieth complained about this from the time of its introduction. I have seen several early three screw 44 Rugers on the counter tops in gun shops that were missing the top strap and upper half of the cylinder. Ruger had good reason to bring out the SBH. If you own a three screw in 44 caliber, don't hot rod it.