PDA

View Full Version : Question on 310 tong tools. Can the chamber be modified to a larger size?

mikenbarb
10-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I got a bunch of steel 310 hand tools that are size specific and the one I have is beat up pretty bad so im wondering if the chamber can be opened up on these to accept a larger size case of 45-70. Im looking to open up one chambered in 8mm as I have two in that size and one is in poor shape otherwise I would never think of doing this to a great classic tool. Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul Tummers
10-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I got a bunch of steel 310 hand tools that are size specific and the one I have is beat up pretty bad so im wondering if the chamber can be opened up on these to accept a larger size case of 45-70. Im looking to open up one chambered in 8mm as I have two in that size and one is in poor shape otherwise I would never think of doing this to a great classic tool. Any advice would be appreciated.

What do you exactly mean; opening a die to accept the 45-70 cartidges or do you want to alter the tong tool itself?
I have 3 of them, and the tool is widely adjustable by adjusting the extractor hook.
Regards,
Paul T.

floodgate
10-04-2008, 01:08 PM
mikenbarb:

Check <the310Shop.com>. Randy Davis recently sold the business to the machinist who was making specialty 310 dies for him. and I'm sure the new owner could help. If that doesn't work, check with Randy at: <B1G1R0N@aol.com>.

Floodgate

Rick The 310 Shop guy
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Mikenbarb,
Rick Morrill here. I'm the fellow that took over The 310 Shop from Randy Davis. To answer your question about converting the 8MM to 45-70, yes I can and do, do that. The cost is $50.00 + postage. What you get for that is the tool opened up to the size requested, the hook reworked so it will fit the shell and not cut into the shell and the tool reblued......well re-plum colored....it's a type of bluing. I also chase out the threads to clean them up to and polish the tool all over before bluing. Not to make it look brand new but to eliminate any rust spots and knock down any knicks.
Nothing really will change with The 310 Shop. different address, i'm in Texas. I will still be selling 310 any and everything and doing custom work for dies that cannot be found anymore. And Randy is still onboard as an advisor. He's a wealth of information pertaining to the 310 tools and Ideal and Lyman in general. Hope that helps. Rick

Rick The 310 Shop guy
10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Mikenbarb, forgot to mention I'd also restamp the tool with 45-70. Rick

beagle
10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Hey Rick, glad to make your acquaintence and welcome here. I've dealt with Randy in the past and it's always good to have a good machinist who has the ability to make parts for the 310 stuff as Ideal/Lyman sure used some oddball stuff on their tools./beagle

StrawHat
10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Welcome Rick,

Always nice to have another 310 enthusiast to hear from.

I've got a set of your dies.

Welcome again.

mikenbarb
10-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Rick and thats what im looking to do and I will be in touch with you soon to get it done. I have a bond with my 310 toold and I love to use them for my smaller runs and decapping in front of the TV at night. Its actually relaxing for me and I keep a piece or reloading history working.LOL. Thanks, Mike

docone31
10-21-2008, 12:37 AM
I still have my old 310.
I got it years ago from an old guy who took a liken to me. I use it for my .38/.357.
No complaints in 30yrs.
I like them.

Just Duke
10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Mikenbarb,
Rick Morrill here. I'm the fellow that took over The 310 Shop from Randy Davis. To answer your question about converting the 8MM to 45-70, yes I can and do, do that. The cost is $50.00 + postage. What you get for that is the tool opened up to the size requested, the hook reworked so it will fit the shell and not cut into the shell and the tool reblued......well re-plum colored....it's a type of bluing. I also chase out the threads to clean them up to and polish the tool all over before bluing. Not to make it look brand new but to eliminate any rust spots and knock down any knicks.
Nothing really will change with The 310 Shop. different address, i'm in Texas. I will still be selling 310 any and everything and doing custom work for dies that cannot be found anymore. And Randy is still onboard as an advisor. He's a wealth of information pertaining to the 310 tools and Ideal and Lyman in general. Hope that helps. Rick

Welcome Rick! :castmine: