PDA

View Full Version : Bubba strikes again.

Tackleberry41
11-28-2018, 05:22 PM
Stop in at the shop, also sell ethanol free gas, and sandwiches. Sells and trades alot. Took in a 6in 629 stainless classic on trade. It may well be true its only had 2 shells put thru it. $1100 out the door special ordered from his dad who used to run it. Got $500 in trade. See if I can post a pics, bubba etched his name on the frame under the cylinder. Looks like my 10 yo did it. E E S, deep enough you'll never get it out. Really nice gun, sure feels new. Unless anyone here has the same initials, might work out.

Mal Paso
11-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Ouch!
See how it shoots and whether it's worth changing your name.

That's my favorite S&W.

9.3X62AL
11-28-2018, 05:38 PM
People that do things like that would take spray paint to the Sistine Chapel, I swear it.

MyFlatline
11-28-2018, 05:54 PM
I got a 16 ga. double barrel in a poker game back in the late 70's. The owner had engraved his full name in the side plate. I ended up giving it to my father and he used it for many years. He thought he would do the same, so his name is engraved under Mr. Stevens name on the 311 ( Savage Stevens) :). It will be passed on to one of his grandsons after I am gone and I hope with the engraving, it will always stay in the family as the value is limited..

georgerkahn
11-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Congrats on your fine purchase! A(nother) friend/shooting buddy passed about a year ago, and from many moons' kidding about it, I was offered his 629 classic. No bargain, either... a fair price. Mine is the blued version which came in a wooden box, along with an aluminum cleaning rod, S&W Screwdriver, and a brush. Had I been shopping/buying "new" I probably would have sought the stainless version as you lucked into -- congrats again! -- but, as Hickok45 on YouTube may times stated in his video on this revolver -- it hits every time exactly where you point it! I know I love mine, albeit I shoot primarily .44 S&W Specials loadings behind cast bullets.
Hey -- should you ever decide to sell the revolver, you have a story -- the E E S etching -- to complement it!
BEST!
geo

Handloader109
11-28-2018, 06:27 PM
Can always engrave a rectangle over it to take out name. Probably not as deep as you think.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
11-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Yes, too bad folks do these things. Guess it would be a plus if it was an 1851 Navy engraved with "Wm. Hickock", or a Police Positive marked "J. Edgar Hoover." I've run across a number of ordinary pieces marked in various ways, always kind of sloppily, and usually with an electric pencil. Some of the inscriptions, names, social security numbers, driver license numbers, etc. can be removed but it usually involves refinishing the entire gun, which in and of itself usually lowers the value. I've got two S&W M&P revolvers bearing police officer's names and badge numbers, fairly well done, but since they weren't famous it does nothing but add nostalgia and still lowers the value. Still, kind of historical, and I'd probably buy another if it came my way. I can see how really neat it would be for someone to buy a nice firearm and have their name engraved neatly upon it, followed by all subsequent owners within the family, but how does one know who will follow and if they'll even be interested in continuing the heirloom. In the case of the S&W 686 under discussion, I think Hanloader109 has a good solution.

jaguarxk120
11-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Check around, there are company's that do micro laser welding.

They can place a layer of steel over the custom engraving. then the weld can be dressed off

and finished.

rking22
11-28-2018, 08:47 PM
I have always wanted a Colt Diamondback but not willing to pay collector money to shoot it. Well, a friend came across one, had past owners initials "engraved" on the right side. 1/2 inch hi letters like on a bowling trophy! I said something to the effect that ruined any collector value, he replied "can I get 450$?", I replied with a check ! Sometimes I can tolerate it. Now to find a new sideplate [smilie=l:

Newboy
11-28-2018, 08:54 PM
I have always wanted a Colt Diamondback but not willing to pay collector money to shoot it. Well, a friend came across one, had past owners initials "engraved" on the right side. 1/2 inch hi letters like on a bowling trophy! I said something to the effect that ruined any collector value, he replied "can I get 450$?", I replied with a check ! Sometimes I can tolerate it. Now to find a new sideplate [smilie=l:

That Colt side plate is on the left side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rancher1913
11-28-2018, 09:18 PM
all the guns I got from my grandfather have his name etched on them, always in a hidden spot like under the grips or someplace that the stock covers. makes it easy to prove ownership when stolen.

rking22
11-28-2018, 09:30 PM
Newborn, guess that explains why I didn't find one. Never really bothered as I just wanted to see if the shot as well as they looked. This one has bigger throats than my Smiths so I haven't fooled with it much. But shooting as cast wc I am a happy ugly gun owner.
On the 629, Dave Clements removes roll marks from the GP100s he converts to 41, could do the same on your 629. I don't want to bother with the refinish on the blued Diamondback.

Tackleberry41
11-29-2018, 08:48 AM
I didn't buy it, already have 2 guns on layaway at the same shop. I expect there are ways of fixing it. If you could get the cylinder out, could use a fine file remove most of it. But requires taking it apart, removing screws. All acts that collectors would pick at. I have a S&W that was 'ruined' when S&W reblued the gun in 1919.

Just seems theres more than a few people out there who should not be allowed to own anything sharp or tools. Can almost imagine, its some kid, yea hes gonna get a 44 mag, show off. Until he touched off 2 rounds, and did not like the recoil. Then probably took it a few places and did not understand why it lost value etching his initials in it.

Its just not a gun someone is going to pay full value for. Same shop has a 410 mossberg I was looking at for my son. Wait why is it beat up its new? Someones kids running around knocked over a rack of guns. Scuffed up the barrel and side of receiver around the ejection port. Its new, but you aint gettin new price for it.

I'm sure if I did want it I could get a deal on it. Really really nice gun, but mostly a toy as only thing I would shoot it at is targets. Shop says he has about $500 in it, value of the rifle and ammo they got in trade. Imagine he wants to make a couple bucks anyways. Guess its still worth 6 with some morons initials etched into the frame.

georgerkahn
11-29-2018, 09:37 AM
(JUST a "tongue in cheek" note: At a recent gun show I attended, I saw a few M1 Carbines, and a 1903 Springfield -- maybe four rifles of a short-twenty offering -- which commanded EXTRA money due to their "added" adornments. The Springfield had a 3"x 5" card on it pointing to a stamp showing Elmer Keith had ok'd it. The carbines had stencil-painted on numbers which, I'm sure, are meaningful and worth more money to collectors (I have NO idea?) -- but it remains, with proof to me at this show -- that initials do not always lower a firearms value :) :) :)
geo )

Bent Ramrod
11-29-2018, 11:26 AM
There are collectors and collectors. Of course, a pristine factory specimen will always have a following, but some people like “honest wear” and don’t even mind the “personal touch,” though the asking price should reflect this.

I have a Ballard with an owner’s name stamped on the bottom flat of the barrel and the date 1910. By that date, it was certainly a “used gun,” but obviously was someone’s pride & joy, regardless. Once the hand stamping passed its 100th anniversary, it just became part of the rifle’s antique-y Coolness.

Just have patience. Another 100 years and people will be searching the net trying to find out who E E S was. :mrgreen:

Tackleberry41
11-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Its the crudity of it, not the initials. It looks really poorly done, obvious it was a moron with one of those cheap engravers, letters are not same size, or straight, or anything. Im sure it shoots really good and only ever see it if the cylinder is open. Just have to question the intelligence of people. Ill ask the shop what kind of deal make me on it. Guess first thing I would do is take out the stupid internal lock.

dogdoc
11-29-2018, 02:33 PM
Don’t worry about . It’s on the bottom of the frame. If it shoots good, who cares

Tackleberry41
11-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Don’t worry about . It’s on the bottom of the frame. If it shoots good, who cares

That's not the issue, come on who here is gonna pay full price for a gun someone did this to? People want reduced prices over way less, and easily fixed things.

I looked you can buy a NEW one, same model off Buds for $849. It is used, so what $150 off easy? Another $100 for the bubba work. Some less reputable places would just hope you didn't notice and try to get full price. Dealer has 5 bills in it, $600 is still a decent profit.

salpal48
11-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Might be simpler to change your name

rintinglen
11-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Might be simpler to change your name

Edward Everett Sloan has a nice ring to it.:bigsmyl2:

EMC45
11-29-2018, 06:29 PM
Guy I know in GA got a sweet deal on a Model 60 S&W 3in full under lug .357 J frame W/Adj sights. I think he paid $125 for it............It was like new .......Except...

The previous owner used an electric pencil on it. I mean ALL OVER IT!!! He wrote "Stolen From" and put his name. SS # all over it. Name all over it. I mean all over it!!

I asked my buddy who sold it (pawn shop) why he didn't call me about it and let me look at it....He said he didn't think I would be interested in it due to the scrawled garbage all over it! It was a pre hillary hole gun too..........I'd still bought it.

Grmps
11-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Change E E S to BEST [smilie=l::bigsmyl2::happy dance:

9.3X62AL
11-29-2018, 08:58 PM
If the price was right, I would buy it. And I suspect that one poster's suppositions about "Fired twice, and down the road it went" are on-point. But that aside, someone like me has cause to wonder what other idiot-wind maintenance and care regimens were followed (or not) during the revolver's time with its tormentor/engraver.

bluelund79
12-04-2018, 02:13 AM
Almost my exact initials, minus the last name. That’s also one that’s on my wish list. What state is this in?

Tackleberry41
12-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Tennessee. Closed today, usually stop in for a soda. See what he is gonna do with it, told him ask me before he sells it to anybody.

lar45
12-06-2018, 08:37 PM
When I was in the Navy, a friend of mine showed me his S&W mod 19 357 mag that he was all proud of and was telling me about it's trip to a"GUN SMITH " to get a trigger job. It had the absolutely lightest single action trigger I have ever seen. In fact, with it cocked, you could just push on the hammer to get it to fall!!
I tried to tell him that it wasn't safe at all. He left it at home so his wife would have some protection. ..
He argued that that was the way it was supposed to be, according to the" gunsmith" and that he had to pay extra to get it that way.

TCLouis
12-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Back in the late 60s - early 70s, the police were recommending vibro engraving city and SSN on items of value.
I have several items that I did it to.
I need to obliterate the SSN for sure in this new modern world.
I had a 98 Mauser that I bought from a gentleman that engraved his name on the floor plate.
ALL matching numbers with a beautiful brown patina and . . .AND his name on the floor plate.
IF I had hundreds in front of me I may be able to find one with the same look to the finish.