PDA

View Full Version : converting my 2 head gas burner stove

emmie
10-03-2008, 08:33 PM
when I was casting for pistols back in the 70's I used a reinforced 2burner nat. gas hot plate. am now getting back into casting. was told now that I"m on propane,that I need to adjustto air plates,change out the orfice.

want the hotest flame I can get casting with 2 iron dutch ovens

Just Duke
10-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome aboard emmy and thanks for the update. We would all like some pics of your operation.

Pepe Ray
10-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Because the propane is higher in BTU's, both air and gas adjustments must be made. On an older hot plate you MAY already have that capacity. Many "old" gas appliances had adjustable gas orifices. Made of brass, they were adjusted with a simple open end wrench (maybe 5/8'?) Tighten to constrict opening.
I used to think that any homeowner of a few years experience could manage these types of chores but lately I'm altering my opinion.
If in doubt, get a service man.
Pepe Ray

MT Gianni
10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
If it is adjustable it should have been tightened all the way in for LP/Butane. Turn it out 8-12 flats and see how it burns.You want it to light smoothly, adjust the air shutter so you have a "hard" flame. You should have defined tips on the edge of the flame and a sharp inner flame cone that is not too narrow.