PDA

View Full Version : Killed a deer with a 9mm

43PU
11-27-2018, 12:56 AM
Well I finally killed a deer with a 9mm rifle, I have been wanting to do this for several years. She came around a tree at 68 yards and put one through her neck she dropped in her tracks,

So I have been practicing with my Ruger PC9 for about 8 months (15,000 rounds+) and I can hit a 3” plate at 100 yards every time off hand I’m using a Lucid 2.5 MOA red dot. So I did some experiments I posted on here and on another forum the same information and same projectiles same velocity the only difference I made was replaced 9mm with 357 mag my data is a Mihec mood .358 135 round flat PC over 3.8 of bullseye velocity out of my rifle is 1200FPS
So I found out if I posted that it was a 357 mag I had a 90% agreement on yeah that should do great out to 75 yards. But when I posted it was a 9mm I had a 90% disapproval rate.. funny

I don’t know if I would shoot a deer in the vitals at over 50 yards but I DO NOT feel under gunner with this rifle. Next year I’m going to put a shallow cup point and go for the vitals

Thanks for reading
43PU

Chainsaw.
11-27-2018, 01:18 AM
You have clearly proven one thing. That deer didn’t get the memo that 9mm wasn’t supposed to kill her.

Sounds like the same knuckleheads I used to argue with in Texas who would rant an rave that a .243 was the bare minimum to kill all those mighty #100 white tail does.

Bigslug
11-27-2018, 02:08 AM
Just don't tell them it's a 9mm. Call it a .35 Whelan minus-P-minus and they'll be fine.[smilie=1:

Rcmaveric
11-27-2018, 02:11 AM
I have been wanting a 9mm Carbine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PS Paul
11-27-2018, 02:27 AM
I thought 9mm would bounce off their armor. Huh. Things to ponder, man. Things to ponder.

knifemaker
11-27-2018, 03:17 AM
I also have a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm and it is very accurate with factory and my handloads using X-Treme 9mm 124 gr. HP copper plated bullets. Do not intend to hunt with it, but they are proving to be one very accurate take down carbine as proven by the one I have and the many reports I have read about their accuracy.
There is a problem with them though. If you have grandkids that like to shoot, you better buy several thousand rounds of ammo or break out the progressive loading press and crank out several thousand rounds. My Dillon reloading press has been very busy loading 9mm.

Edward
11-27-2018, 07:57 AM
Well I finally killed a deer with a 9mm rifle, I have been wanting to do this for several years. She came around a tree at 68 yards and put one through her neck she dropped in her tracks,

So I have been practicing with my Ruger PC9 for about 8 months (15,000 rounds+) and I can hit a 3” plate at 100 yards every time off hand I’m using a Lucid 2.5 MOA red dot. So I did some experiments I posted on here and on another forum the same information and same projectiles same velocity the only difference I made was replaced 9mm with 357 mag my data is a Mihec mood .358 135 round flat PC over 3.8 of bullseye velocity out of my rifle is 1200FPS
So I found out if I posted that it was a 357 mag I had a 90% agreement on yeah that should do great out to 75 yards. But when I posted it was a 9mm I had a 90% disapproval rate.. funny

I don’t know if I would shoot a deer in the vitals at over 50 yards but I DO NOT feel under gunner with this rifle. Next year I’m going to put a shallow cup point and go for the vitals

Thanks for reading
43PU

I feel sorry for the deer population where you hunt as the neck is not exactly a great place for vitals (LOTS) of non vital area and your idea of a cupped nose at anemic velocities will get you a lot of crippled deer ! Unfortunately you will not know as most will leave squat for a
blood trail . That round is a good (NOT GREAT) carry round but I like 45 better ,a carbine does not help it gain anything /in my opinion Ed

Silvercreek Farmer
11-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Glad it worked out. Enjoyed your little thought experiment! Got any pics of the wound channel? Have your tried any slower powders like Power Pistol, Blue Dot, etc?

bowhunter
11-27-2018, 08:56 AM
it is all about hitting "the spot" if showed these photos to most people and asked what this deer was shot with no one would really know other than thinking a large caliber. if I said a 243 some would agree and some would think bigger. well I wanted to thin some does off my hunting lease so me and a friend went hunting for some. he has several ARs he builds, I am not into them. well he brought one over and we went hunting. as it happened I killed a 8pt. buck with a 243 he killed this doe with a 17 remington. the shot was a measured 100yds. the doe hopped of about 40yds and fell stone dead! he used a 25gr. hornady hp. the hole is entrance. the bullet penetrated shrapnel to the other side and turned the lungs to mush. I would not recommend a 17 for deer. but it is the boolit placement that counts,,,,,,,,,,, 231062231063

Screwbolts
11-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Congratulations, well done!

I believe your choice of projectile and velocity will do a fine job harvesting deer. I would not hesitate to shoot threw the boiler room of any deer with that load.

The 32-20 has harvested deer for a long time! Your wisely chosen load is far Superior to the Deer harvesting old timer. I would be proud to hunt with your rig!

Ken

Hamish
11-27-2018, 09:24 AM
"a carbine does not help it gain anything /in my opinion Ed"

(facepalm). I don't even know where to start,,,,,,

That Ruger is an outstanding rifle. Watched a buddy smack a 4" diamond time after time with his at 265 yards, and unbelievably quiet when suppressed!

jmort
11-27-2018, 10:52 AM
The carbine puts the 9mm well over 500 ft lbs. I would try the Lehigh Penetrator. Will shoot through and through and do its job, easily I predict.
I agree, these discussions can be frustrating.

popper
11-27-2018, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised you get that fps with BE, I use the same gr boolit in 9mm compact with WST, works great but BE is a faster powder.

jcren
11-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Give the new cfe pistol a try for carbines. I have a hi-point 45 and have ran everything from BE to bluedot in it and cfe gave the best velocity increase from pistol to carbine of anything i tried. 255 grain lee rf went from 680 in a 5 inch to 900 with a very mild reliable load. My favorite powder for full power 380 as well. Btw, i have a nice video of a 200 rf going 950 knocking a 200ish pound hog on his keister from 70 yards (pass thru) so dont discount the gains of a carbine.

dverna
11-27-2018, 01:36 PM
I know people who used to poach deer. They were successful with .22’s. Of course, they do not talk about the ones they may have wounded.

The doe I got last week was hit with a .308 165 gr GameKing in the lungs/heart and went about 75 yards before dropping.

As to the OP, if you can hit a 3” target off hand at 100 yards with every shot, that is spectacular shooting. I suspect that little carbine is at best a 1 MOA gun, so that means you can hold every shot to within 2” off hand. WOW! Simply amazing.

Still think a neck shot, off hand, at over 60 yards is a poor choice as most of us do not have your ability.

quilbilly
11-27-2018, 03:17 PM
For several years I hunted with a 45 cal muzzleloader using sabots and 9mm cast lead projectiles. Why that rifle didn't like the same weight 357 boolits in the sabots remains a mystery. I got several blacktail and mule deer with it using 125 gr CB's before I switched back to PRB for deer. I also have a 9mm rifle (T/C carbine) and am confident it would do the job should I ever decide to hunt modern rifle season with it. That rifle is minute-of-popcan at 125 yards with its iron sights and is a delight for coyotes in thick country.

Spiffy7
11-27-2018, 04:51 PM
It is one thing to harvest a deer with a minimal round and a perfectly placed shot. I have shot one young deer with my 357 at about 15 yards...watched it first for an hour at around 70 yards then It got close enough for my one kill with this pistol.

The challenge for me is I am a mediocre shot when it comes to live animals. Less than optimal shot placement and a minimal round often means wounded deer that coyotes find and finish off later that night.

My thoughts...have a blast hunting with a small round.....be very picky about your shots

Good reason to take two guns

43PU
11-27-2018, 08:01 PM
I also have a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm and it is very accurate with factory and my handloads using X-Treme 9mm 124 gr. HP copper plated bullets. Do not intend to hunt with it, but they are proving to be one very accurate take down carbine as proven by the one I have and the many reports I have read about their accuracy.
There is a problem with them though. If you have grandkids that like to shoot, you better buy several thousand rounds of ammo or break out the progressive loading press and crank out several thousand rounds. My Dillon reloading press has been very busy loading 9mm.

I don’t have grandkids but i have a bro in law.... I had to buy a separate Dillon for 9mm

jonp
11-27-2018, 08:06 PM
You have clearly proven one thing. That deer didn’t get the memo that 9mm wasn’t supposed to kill her.

Sounds like the same knuckleheads I used to argue with in Texas who would rant an rave that a .243 was the bare minimum to kill all those mighty #100 white tail does.

Same type of argument with more than a couple Gunstore Commando's who insisted a 357Mag pistol just would not be enough gun for a whitetail. That's until I proved them wrong on a 180lb 8pt with a GP100, open sights at 35 yrds.

Texas by God
11-27-2018, 08:44 PM
Good job! For all you naysayers I have seen dozens and dozens of deer shot in the neck with various caliber guns. I have seen exactly one move from the spot where it was shot. It went about 20 yards and then fell down kicking. Wisely my daughter put another round into its shoulder but I don't believe it was going anywhere because a section of his spine was missing on the bottom side. Now ask me how many deer I have seen run away with hits in the vital zones shot by the "accepted" cartridges.
It is very simple; if you can shoot, you can use neck shots. If you can't, shoot at the large brown part. Deer are not and have never been and will never be Bulletproof.
43 PU- I salute you for practicing so much- it sure paid off. I too have seen a deer killed with one neck shot at 50 yards with a .17 Rem. Dead Right There. Same with a .22 Hornet by the same hunter. His favorite rifle was a .222 Rem and he killed deer like a surgeon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
11-27-2018, 09:38 PM
I like bowhunters pictures. We are talking whitetail deer. I don't know how hunters who have gutted deer can honestly think they need huge rifles to blow through them. Sure, the spine in the neck is small, but just about every part of the neck is vital. I never take neck shots if I can help it. I remember shooting 4 deer in the neck, 3 with shotgun slugs, 1 with my 327 federal handgun this year. All 4 fell where they stood. Some people just can't shoot. Maybe it's jitters, maybe it's practice, or both. I always carried a handgun for hunting, but practiced heavily the last two years before I felt comfortable taking it out as my only firearm.

43PU
11-27-2018, 11:23 PM
I have never gotten buck fever, possibly from the fact that I tell myself that the hard work begins when I pull the trigger, I figure I have 3-4 hours of work when I shoot an deer, and that calms me down pretty fast. I have a young family and we eat ALOT of meat if you ask my 3 year old boys if they want beef or deer they are gonna say deer every time. I also can not justify spending $85-90 on a deer that I may get 50lbs of meat out of I can buy chicken for 79cents a lb so I butcher all of my deer. Luckly I live in KY where Zone one is unlimited deer l!! So I shoot a lot to feed the family, this year it was 8

megasupermagnum
11-27-2018, 11:59 PM
That must be fun. We only get 1 deer limit for most of the state, but I often shoot 2 through party hunting (I only keep one for myself). Thankfully a full grown MN deer provides about 75 pounds of straight meat. I don't pick through the ribs either, too much work for a couple pounds. It's nuts how many people dust off a rifle without checking the sight in, shoot a deer, half way gut it, and haul it to the local meat shop. Those kinds of people are why magnum rifles are popular.

dverna
11-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Texas by God nailed it.....if you can shoot....

The truth is the vast majority of hunters, and I bet most on this site, are unable to shoot that well.

It is why I dislike these kinds of threads. They encourage people who have mediocre skills to venture into the field with underpowered weapons.

PU43, do you realize most people cannot hit a 3” target at 100 yards with every shot from a rest using a 9mm? That is reality. Yet you can do every shot off hand? I am not buying it.

The 10 ring on the NRA SR-1 High Power 100 yard target is 3.35”. So you can shoot a perfect score in NRA High Power? Using a 9mm carbine? Off hand? Again, I am not buying it.

And using cast bullets instead of match rifle bullets too....truly amazing.

Just felt that a reality check was warranted.

Piedmont
11-28-2018, 01:45 AM
PU43, do you realize most people cannot hit a 3” target at 100 yards with every shot from a rest using a 9mm? That is reality. Yet you can do every shot off hand? I am not buying it.

The 10 ring on the NRA SR-1 High Power 100 yard target is 3.35”. So you can shoot a perfect score in NRA High Power? Using a 9mm carbine? Off hand? Again, I am not buying it.

That was my reaction, too. I used to be a very good offhand rifle and pistol shot. With a bolt action with a superb trigger if I was getting 10 shot groups approaching 6" (approaching from above) it was a pretty good day at the range. This fellow is cutting that in half with groups larger than ten shots, a trigger that isn't as good, and a rifle/ammo combination without as much intrinsic accuracy as what I use. Highly suspect claims.

megasupermagnum
11-28-2018, 02:57 AM
Texas by God nailed it.....if you can shoot....

The truth is the vast majority of hunters, and I bet most on this site, are unable to shoot that well.

It is why I dislike these kinds of threads. They encourage people who have mediocre skills to venture into the field with underpowered weapons.

And using cast bullets instead of match rifle bullets too....truly amazing.

Just felt that a reality check was warranted.

I know a lot of people who couldn't hit a deer at 150 yards from a rest if you gave them a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA. Those kinds of people wound lots of deer. There's no help for them. I know one very personally, can't get him to the range for anything. He would be wounding deer if he was shooting a 338 lapua. That's reality.

A 9mm carbine might actually be a good thing, these poor shooters might not flinch as bad.

Rick R
11-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Good shooting!

The Finnish army used to have 9mm SMG competitions out to 300 yards. I’ve hit pop cans at 80 yards with an MP-5, albeit from prone not offhand. I don’t take neck shots but if I had a 9mm carbine I’d try taking some venison with it.

I’m getting 1,100fps from my HiPower with NOE’s 135gr FN bullet over BE-86. Not legal here in a handgun but I figure it would work.

cabezaverde
11-28-2018, 02:51 PM
I have never done the neck shot. Does anywhere in the neck work or is it a specific area of the neck?

dk17hmr
11-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Gotta hit bone or have enough velocity for hydrostatic shock.

Meat in the freezer. Nice shooting I have considered using 9mm carbine for varmints and predators but not big game mostly because it isn't legal here.

Tom W.
11-28-2018, 10:34 PM
In Alabama it's any centerfire mushrooming ammunition. So, a .25 ACP is legal...

Petander
11-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Good shooting!

The Finnish army used to have 9mm SMG competitions out to 300 yards. I’ve hit pop cans at 80 yards with an MP-5, albeit from prone not offhand. I don’t take neck shots but if I had a 9mm carbine I’d try taking some venison with it.

I’m getting 1,100fps from my HiPower with NOE’s 135gr FN bullet over BE-86. Not legal here in a handgun but I figure it would work.

Yep the "Suomi KP" 9 mm smg was an important factor against the enemy back then. Ammo was ++P in today's standards.

But for hunting, 9mm is only legal for rabbit size critters here, whitetail minimum is 30/30 and 243 rifles to fill the 100 meter energy requirements. And rifles only.

I can live with that,I tend to use "too much gun" anyway. That comes from moose hunt experience,308 is legal and most common for moose here,I never used 308 for other than range practise.

jmort
11-29-2018, 10:29 AM
A 255 grain .45 Colt SWC at 900 FPS will shoot though, and kill most anything on earth. I know of someone who has killed at least two man-sized feral hogs out of necessity, with a 100 grain RNFP in a .380 ACP. Body shots, not head shots. Lead Bullets Technology. Read up on it, it works.

megasupermagnum
11-29-2018, 01:27 PM
A 255 grain .45 Colt SWC at 900 FPS will shoot though, and kill most anything on earth. I know of someone who has killed at least two man-sized feral hogs out of necessity, with a 100 grain RNFP in a .380 ACP. Body shots, not head shots. Lead Bullets Technology. Read up on it, it works.

You can match that load in 45 ACP without even going above standard pressure. That's another good one where people will condone the 45 colt, but a 45 ACP "isn't ideal", even though they are the same thing.

43PU
11-29-2018, 01:59 PM
You can match that load in 45 ACP without even going above standard pressure. That's another good one where people will condone the 45 colt, but a 45 ACP "isn't ideal", even though they are the same thing.
Yes I find it funny that you can have the same ballistics and then say two different rounds of ammo and one is perfectly accepted and the other is Taboo.. I guess all of the old westerners and people from the 1700s simply starved to death because a 36 cal patched round ball would not kill a bear or deer... heaven forbid Native American with 60lb pull bows killing buffalo

quilbilly
11-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Weird things can happen with neck shots. I generally don't like them. A couple seasons back I had a small buck at 30 yards during muzzleloader season so tried for a neck shot with my 45 and PRB. He ducked slightly as I pulled the trigger and the bullet passed through the hair at the top of the neck and blew off one antler. He still died, DRT! Go figure. Must have been a concussion kill. Tasted real good, though, and very tender.

megasupermagnum
11-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Weird things can happen with neck shots. I generally don't like them. A couple seasons back I had a small buck at 30 yards during muzzleloader season so tried for a neck shot with my 45 and PRB. He ducked slightly as I pulled the trigger and the bullet passed through the hair at the top of the neck and blew off one antler. He still died, DRT! Go figure. Must have been a concussion kill. Tasted real good, though, and very tender.

I always followed up a neck shot with a finisher to the head, but they are incredibly lethal. Sure, the spine is a small target, but what isn't a vital in the neck? There's the arteries, veins, throat, nerves, pretty much every part of the neck will knock a deer legs up. I always want a heart shot, but I've never seen a deer shot in the neck run.

modified5
11-29-2018, 04:03 PM
I have hit one buck in the neck. He was at 125 yards and I shot him kneeling with my 30-06 loaded with 150 gr Hornady SST. He dropped like a rock.
The shot was unintentional. I had my cross hairs centered on his vitals. My scope was that far off.
I had been shooting it all summer working up the load and it was dead on before the hunt.
The rifle was never dropped or the scope banged. I re-zeroed it in and started shooting. With every shot it started moving. The scope went bad.
As fast as that buck went down I can see the value of a neck shot, but since that shot I have never intentionally taken another.

Jedman
11-29-2018, 04:15 PM
The first year I deer hunted I seen a neck shot go wrong. Back then everyone hunted with 12 ga. Slugs as only shotguns and muzzleloaders were legal here in OH. Someone on private land near where I was hunting hit a deer in the throat and the deer was still on its feet nearly a half mile from where it was shot and the guy that took me hunting seen the deer close but didn't shoot as it was a small doe and back then 1974 you had to have a doe permit to shoot doe.
We talked to the hunter who shot it several hours later and he never followed up in trying to find the deer and it probably died a slow death.
I have used the neck shot myself on several occasions where I was close and confident I could hit where I was aiming as none of the deer were moving and the deer dropped on the spot.
As to the 9 mm I have no problem with that as shot placement is what matters most.

Jedman

rodwha
11-29-2018, 05:59 PM
I always aimed for the center of the first 1/3 from the body of the neck. This part moves the least so there’s not so much concern for a quick head jerk to miss the aiming point. And in the center is the spine.

fcvan
11-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Years ago, I picked up a Marlin Camp 9. It was a great shooter but it flung brass 20 yards. A few years ago I purchased a stronger recoil spring which ended the brass flinging. I also replaced the recoil buffer as the original nylon buffer was prone to disintegration. The silicon replacement was inexpensive and easy to replace. I stopped shooting it as stupid rule changes in CA made it an 'assault weapon.' Well, I stopped shooting it in CA.

Several years ago, I built a 9mm AR15 and love it. My standard load of Powder Coated 125gr RN runs about 1100fps from my Glocks, and 1350fps from the 16" AR15. I built a 10" AR15 pistol which chrono'd at 1325fps for only 25fps loss. This combo of 9mm pistol and carbine became my favorite plinker for killing tin cans. They are quiet, cheap to load fun to shoot. Heck, I even started loading a 102gr RN just because it saves lead and still kills tin cans. Well, not cans in CA. I loaded up all my evil guns and took them to CO. Retired LEO, took my pension out of CA like most of my friends.

I get 1350fps from a Glock chambered in 357 Sig and would love to build an AR15 in 357 Sig. I never really planned on getting into the Sig cartridge but I had collected so much range brass I couldn't not load for the gun. I actually just bought a Lone Wolf drop in barrel for a G22 so barrel and dies was $125 total. I do think the 357 Sig AR would have to be piston or gas but not blowback. We will see

dk17hmr
11-30-2018, 08:51 PM
357 sig or a 10mm I'd want a DI upper. Blow back seems sketchy. I have had a couple 9mm rounds go off out of battery from my AR, I could only imagine how terrible the SIG would be. I'd like a 357sig AR also to go with my Glock 32 carry gun.

milsurpcollector1970
12-03-2018, 09:56 AM
I built a 9mm ar, I was getting around 1600 fps with 115 gr fmj.
These were carbine only loads You could easily get a hunting boolit going fast enough to kill a deer
But I have other guns which make bigger holes so I wouldn’t

Petander
12-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Carbine is my only reason to load for 9mm.

Factory subsonic ammo is not subsonic from my barrel so I load heavy cast subs. Light bullets on the other hand get loaded warm.

I had a Beretta Storm for ten years,finally traded it for a B&T APC9. Same but different,reliable blowbacks. Not legal for whitetail here,not even close.

Bigger is bigger. :)

Powder Burn
12-03-2018, 10:27 AM
We can't use rifles other than muzzleloaders. Nothing less than .44 cal. For handguns, nothing less than 500 ft lbs.
Found ballistics for 9mm for pistols.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

Smoke4320
12-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Its dead , its meat , its all good

HumptyDumpty
12-03-2018, 01:32 PM
These were carbine only loads You could easily get a hunting boolit going fast enough to kill a deer

+1 On this with my Kel-Tec sub 2000. I'm going to be making some modifications, and then seeing how much power I can actually squeeze of of the thing. It's fantastically accurate within the rounds effective range as it is, both with sub-sonics, and standard rounds. By the way, off-the-shelf subs tend to become supersonic out of these carbines. Another reason to roll your own:D

jmort
12-03-2018, 02:15 PM
Not sure how your long guns make supersonic out of subsonic.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
I have two 16" Cx4 Storms and the 147s don't break the sound barrier.
Favorite bullet is the 155 + grain Elco
Subsonic stays subsonic

Rcmaveric
12-03-2018, 02:22 PM
Not sure how your long guns make supersonic out of subsonic.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
I have two 16" Cx4 Storms and the 147s don't break the sound barrier.
Favorite bullet is the 155 + grain Elco
Subsonic stays subsonicLonger barrel dwell time. Same concept as adding 4 inches to your barrel to get an extra 100 or so fps from the same load.

jmort
12-03-2018, 02:47 PM
No, some cartridges do not know about

"Longer barrel dwell time. Same concept as adding 4 inches to your barrel to get an extra 100 or so fps from the same load."

The 9mm, .45 ACP, , never got the memo:
For example, Federal 147 grain HydraShok
Beretta 92 with 4.875" barrel goes 989 fps
Beretta Cx4 Storm 16" barrel goes 1049

HumptyDumpty
12-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Okay, those are the results you got, out of your gun, in your location, with that particular ammunition. My chronograph had the 147 grain projectiles (Federal American Eagle Suppressor Ammunition), at about 1100 fps. It depends on atmospheric conditions, but that is at least trans-sonic. 2.8 Grains of 700x, under a comparable 147 grain bullet, gets me in the 900 fps range. My Kel-Tec is very consistent about adding a considerable amount of velocity to anything I put through it. Plenty of people have had a similar experience.

Petander
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Yep,I wouldn't be loading for 9mm if there was a subsonic carbine factory round. I load Lee 158 RF, 163 with my alloy. 950 fps.

Everything commercial subsonic that I've tried or heard about is for pistol lengh barrels. Magtech is around transsonic,you never know how loud.

KCSO
12-03-2018, 06:39 PM
A HUNTER can kill a deer with about anything but some folks with a deer permit have trouble doing it with a 300 win mag.
In my job I had to put down a lot of injured or wounded animals and used everything from a 22 lr on up. I have killed 3 deer with a 9 mm all one shot kills. It will do the job IF you put the bullet in the right spot. It has always amazed me that some folks recommend a 9 or a 40 or a 38 for shooting aggressive humans up to 400 pounds or more and then think a 30-30 is not fit for a 150 pound deer.

Here is a perfect example of a real HUNTER who has practiced and sighted in and made a clean kill. I think he could have done the job with whatever he had on hand and done it cleanly and ethically.

Good on ya!!!

jmort
12-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Yep,I wouldn't be loading for 9mm if there was a subsonic carbine factory round. I load Lee 158 RF, 163 with my alloy. 950 fps.

Everything commercial subsonic that I've tried or heard about is for pistol lengh barrels. Magtech is around transsonic,you never know how loud.

I just gave you one, Federal 147 grain JHP Hydrashok

quilbilly
12-03-2018, 07:37 PM
I was able to get that kind of velocity (15-1600) out of my 9mm T/C carbine but could not get any consistent accuracy except on the first shot out of a cold barrel. Also got cracked cases regularly. After learning that lesson, I backed off on loads for MV's from 1200-1350 fps and got consistent accuracy out to 150 yards when my old eyes would cooperate with the irons sights. From that I concluded that trying to turn the 9mm into something it is not meant to be, a 357 mag, was not my best idea especially when a 135 gr. RFGC going 1100 fps at 100 yards will do anything I want it to do.

HumptyDumpty
12-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Petander: Is that the one for 38 special? I'd like to shoot the heaviest projectile I can, for my sub-sonic loads.

Petander
12-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Petander: Is that the one for 38 special? I'd like to shoot the heaviest projectile I can, for my sub-sonic loads.

Yes it is.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010197875/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-358-158-rf-38-special-357-magnum-38-colt-new-police-38-s-and-w-358-diameter-158-grain-flat-nose

winelover
12-04-2018, 08:26 AM
I haven't chronographed many 9mm loads out of my handguns. However, I have tested several cast loads in my CZ EVO Scorpion, using LabRadar. They are consistently 200-300 fps faster than Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual's published cast loadings, based on handgun length barrels........... I would assume J-words would act accordingly.

Winelover

GhostHawk
12-04-2018, 08:42 AM
"IF" it was post ****, and I was out with my 9mm carbine or 9mm handi rifle stubb barrel.

"IF" I had a good under 75y shot, and the deer was moving slow or still.

"IF" we needed the meat, yeah I'd do it.

If I took the shot I have very little doubt it would do the job.
As someone mentioned above, I have shot a few with .22lr after dark with a light.

Bullet placement is king. Hit them right and down they go. Hit them wrong and away they go.

I am 66, have not hunted for 22 years. In part because I lost my taste for killing.
I always butchered my own deer, but no longer have access to the farm buildings for hanging, skinning, boning out. The rough work. I just have not wanted to inflict all that on my wife's countertops. And we are not hurting, we can buy all we need food wise at the grocery store.

In many respects I prefered the venison. I knew exactly what had been done with it.
I felt like it was more "Honest". I shot the deer, gave it respect and added a prayer to send it on its journey. Field dressed it, hung it, skinned it, quartered it, deboned it and packaged it for final cutting, cut it, wrapped it and froze it. I OWNED that deer, I did the work. Sweat equity.

I am just not up for that anymore.

If I needed the meat, I'd prefer a more proven performer. .30-30, .357 mag, .44mag, .444marlin.

I know all 4 shoot right and tight, with good whump on the far end.

My experience has taught me to stay away from small fast light bullets.
Go for bigger caliber bigger bullets, at slower speeds that will punch straight through crossways, longways, don't matter. And unless you hit a big bone chances of recovering a bullet are very low.

So yes, OP, I would do what you did, at need. But I would prefer to stay out of that need.
Call me conservative. Yes 22lr, .380, 9mm, .40, .45acp would all do the job.

But IMO there are better tools and I have most of them. So an A+ for an interesting read.
Thanks for letting me vent.

43PU
12-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Also this is not my Primary hunting rifle, the shot was close I felt comfortable and I severed her spine at the base of her head, light out. I just wanted to use this combination to see if it COULD be done in a **** situation since this rifle is my Bugout gun/one gun to own rifle or what they are called. It sits beside the bed loaded with that same round in hopes that I never have to use it.. I just wanted to make sure it would do the job and it did. Like I said I may try one in the vitals next year to see how it does. But the rest of the season I used a 30-06 and I will keep on using the ‘06 till I get so old that the recoil bothers me then I’ll use a 308, then a x39 and so forth but that won’t be for a while (I hope).. as I’m 32 years young. Like I said the main reason I used the PC9 was to see if I could do it with a well placed shot if I trust my family to it I needed to test it, I would much rather lose a deer then lose my sons

iamdrglass
12-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Also this is not my Primary hunting rifle, the shot was close I felt comfortable and I severed her spine at the base of her head, light out. I just wanted to use this combination to see if it COULD be done in a **** situation since this rifle is my Bugout gun/one gun to own rifle or what they are called. It sits beside the bed loaded with that same round in hopes that I never have to use it.. I just wanted to make sure it would do the job and it did. Like I said I may try one in the vitals next year to see how it does. But the rest of the season I used a 30-06 and I will keep on using the ‘06 till I get so old that the recoil bothers me then I’ll use a 308, then a x39 and so forth but that won’t be for a while (I hope).. as I’m 32 years young. Like I said the main reason I used the PC9 was to see if I could do it with a well placed shot if I trust my family to it I needed to test it, I would much rather lose a deer then lose my sons

There are several things that you have said in this thread that I like. You mentioned early on how you posted ballistics with out posting cartridge (thumbs up) I also like your last comment here on wanting to test on game so that you knew it was capable for defense prior to the need in the event that you may need to use it for a bug out/**** tool.
KUDOS

ducati
12-16-2018, 10:32 AM
Read some of Elmer Keith's books. He repeats friends of his killed deer and more with the 9mm, and 30 Mausers. Elmer states not his choice but both had good penetration. I would not use a 9mm for hunting.

Pioneer2
12-20-2018, 10:24 AM
The Kaiser used a 9mm carbine in either a Broomhandle or Luger I don't recall for wild boar due to an arm injury quite successfully I might add.A Mountie buddy dispatched a moose with a headshot at 50 yards with his service pistol after it had been hit by a car and was floundering off.Bang flop.

454 shooter
12-24-2018, 10:50 PM
I know a elderly gentleman in Canada that shot and killed a moose with a 9mm pistol. Many, many years ago he was walking on snowshoes; the moose struggled in the 4' deep snow, 2 or 3 shots that could be covered with his hand in the vitals from a couple dozen feet and the moose was dead. Is this preferable? Probably not. Bullet placement is the key.

Shingle
12-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Over the years I have killed over 25 some of them BIG deer with various 9mm carbines. I would not recommend it for some of the people that are deer hunting these days and a neck shot is not realistic under any conditions. I have tried alot of bullets, the NOE ranch dog 135gr. has always proven a killer with lung hits. I will go get on my stand in 30 minutes with my 9mm crack barrel and not feel under gunned but I also have a great location with 40 yd. food plot.

Hickok
12-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Only short range, but you can see the bullet gets complete penetration. I am not advocating the 9mm for deer, but this shows it can work, if everything is right, and a perfect shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Uz7LaLCNk

jmort
12-29-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking with a "better" bullet that 9mm, with that close to perfect shot placement would make for a quicker kill. Regadless it went right through, and through.

Eutectic45
12-29-2018, 09:56 PM
I have seen too many deer hit with big cartridges, and run a long way, some were lost. The 30 magnums and 7mm magnums are real popular here. There are a group of hunters who think power can replace accuracy. Unfortunately this is not true! Shot placement is KING as you have shown. I wished everyone practiced half as much as you do.

A man gas to know his limitations.
Dirty Harry

Shingle
01-16-2019, 05:19 PM
I killed a 5pt. this morning at 55yds. with a 135gr. Ranch Dog out of a crack barrel 9mm it went thru both front shoulder blades, he took one step and fell over dead. The ranch dog bullet never lets me down.

WinchesterM1
01-16-2019, 10:03 PM
I have killed 2-3 deer with a 9mm a 135 grn at 1200fps does wonders out to 50 yards easy

Chainsaw.
01-16-2019, 11:32 PM
I killed a 5pt. this morning at 55yds. with a 135gr. Ranch Dog out of a crack barrel 9mm it went thru both front shoulder blades, he took one step and fell over dead. The ranch dog bullet never lets me down. What?! Seriously, we need to educate these deer on the fact that the minimum cartridge to kill them is 243!

Larry Gibson
01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Let us remember also.....there are deer....and then there are deer.......

Smoke4320
01-17-2019, 01:04 PM
and then their are phase shifting deer :)

Rcmaveric
01-17-2019, 01:48 PM
and then their are phase shifting deer :)Do those take silver bullets in .243 or better to take down?

I am still on the hunt for an 8 point jackalope but I think 9mm might be too big for em.

MT Gianni
01-17-2019, 01:50 PM
I killed a 5pt. this morning at 55yds. with a 135gr. Ranch Dog out of a crack barrel 9mm it went thru both front shoulder blades, he took one step and fell over dead. The ranch dog bullet never lets me down.

What is a crack barrel 9mm? A break open gun? Cracked barrel? Just curious.

Bodydoc447
01-18-2019, 12:57 AM
Auto correct of glock maybe?

rking22
01-18-2019, 01:03 AM
Local term for "break barrel" , like an Hand I rifle.

Petander
01-24-2019, 04:05 PM
After shooting my second moose with 30-06 some 20 years ago I actually moved on to 9mm:

The ten yard double-lungshot with Norma factory Oryx did lots of damage and a hole through. The moose bolted, went over half a mile real fast and needed a finishing shot in the head.

So I moved to 9,3x62. Some years later to 45-70.

cwlongshot
01-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Im not a 9MM guy...But back in 1999 I bought a Marlin 45Camp Carbine... FIRST this I shot with it was three whitetails!! All where inside 60-75 Yards and two where bang flops! All where shot with 185g Golden Saber +P cause they shot so well.

With warm and +P 9mm loads you have 357Mag hand gun ballistics. Know that some regular and lo pressure target type 9MM might actually LOOSE velocity from the 16" barrel!

Good show!

CW

Shingle
01-24-2019, 06:51 PM
I killed a 5pt. last week with AR 9mm 135gr. Ranch Dog at 55 yds. he fell over lifted his head once and was done. The bullet went through both front shoulder blades,then splashed in the pond behind him. I dont know how much more a deer gun is supposed to do but he is dead.

Shingle
02-14-2019, 06:38 AM
The load of 125gr. At 1325 out of a 1o" barrel is good if you went with a 13" barrel you would get about 1425 at least. Its a real sweet spot in 9mm.

WinchesterM1
03-21-2019, 09:07 PM
What is the charge you are using? If you don’t mind me asking