PDA

View Full Version : Brass 2.5" 12Ga Hulls

Mr_Sheesh
11-25-2018, 12:04 AM
I've been looking at these, they say they are for 2.5" chambered shotguns (I've never seen a 2.5", just 2.75" chambered?) Am I missing something or are they typoing this or ? Curious about using these for slug loads in a 2.75" Imp. Mod. shotgun, just wondering if they're not usable for that or ??? You try to read and understand the directions but DANG they just plain mess them up! :P

Thanks all!

uncle dino
11-25-2018, 04:29 AM
2.5 is loaded length for 2.75 chamber. There is no roll or star crimp. So I assume would give proper height for a 2.75 load. Just not so sure if they will work well for a slug load. Internal dimensions are quite large, as brass is much thinner than plastic. D

jdfoxinc
11-25-2018, 11:25 AM
You would need an 11 ga slug.

ascast
11-25-2018, 11:35 AM
and... they will probably not work in any magazine feed gun, bolt,lever,pump

Markopolo
11-25-2018, 11:43 AM
I use them all the time. I anneal them, and put a slight roll crimp on them. It’s just like anything though, there is a bit of a learning curve. Components are 11 gauge, and can be made, or purchased from circlefly. Hard cards/nitro cards, felt wads, and an overshot card are simple to obtain. Might seem like a ton of work, but the upside is you have a shell that lasts and lasts. I have used carpenters glue, duco cement, and hot glue to seal them when needed. But if you build up a wad colum properly with a slug, you shouldn’t need to seal them. I have a rock chucker all set up all the time with the RCBS 12g die and shellholder to put the slight roll crimp and deprime-reprime them. There is a good part of my reloading room setup just for all brass shotshells.

My bear loads, I have posted this pic before.

This is a full sized bore riding slug in this shot. I am experimenting with 10g wads right now and the lee key slug. I have made many rounds loaded with BP as well as green dot.

If you need more info to make a decision on your ideas, just let me know.

Marko

Markopolo
11-25-2018, 11:48 AM
I am able to shoot them fine in my Mossberg bolt gun, but not in a pump gun. A double gun or over and under is best, single shot works too. Cycle just fine. And slugs are not 11g, but just normal 12g.

Markopolo
11-25-2018, 12:52 PM
I have been pondering this old thread for use in brass shells.... it is a paper patched lee slug. Should be able to be fitted better in a larger shot cup or wad colum...

It was something AJay was doing... sure would like to know more.

DanishM1Garand
11-27-2018, 10:13 PM
I have been pondering this old thread for use in brass shells.... it is a paper patched lee slug. Should be able to be fitted better in a larger shot cup or wad colum...

It was something AJay was doing... sure would like to know more.

I bought a Lyman Foster Slug mold before I found this forum. That is exactly what I did before I bought an Airgun Pellet Lyman mold.