PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Jam

hp246
11-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Patient: 1895 Marlin in .45-70. It has an orange plastic magazine follower.

I've had this gun for two years. If I load the first round through the ejection port, then load a second round into the magazine, both rounds chamber perfectly.

If I load the first round through the ejection port and load two rounds into the magazine, the first round will fire perfectly. When I operate the lever, the first round will eject. The second round comes out and lays on the carrier. The third round is stuck in the magazine. The lever locks in the full down position.

If I load three rounds in the magazine, operate the lever to load a round, the first round lays on the carrier, the lever is locked in the down position and the second round is stuck in the magazine.=

When the rounds stick in the magazine, I have to pry them out with a screw driver.

I am shooting rounds that have been shortened to meet Michigan's cartridge length criteria. But the problem persists with full length rounds as well.

Thinking maybe the plastic follower but thought I'd throw it out here for opinions.

MyFlatline
11-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Have you taken it down completely and cleaned it ? Had a friend that just had something similar, was a burr on the carrier. Take it down and check for rough spots. I am assuming this is a newer rifle, so wear should not be a factor.

Best of luck.

hp246
11-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Have you taken it down completely and cleaned it ? Had a friend that just had something similar, was a burr on the carrier. Take it down and check for rough spots. I am assuming this is a newer rifle, so wear should not be a factor.

Best of luck.

Yes, this was done before it was put away at the end of last season by a gunsmith friend of mine. At that time there was a burr that was removed. Problem persists.

earlmck
11-24-2018, 12:53 AM
I think you have Marlin Jam#1. Here's a link to a discussion of a couple ways to fix it. https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32740&hilit=+marlin+jam

Petander
11-25-2018, 08:33 AM
I think you have Marlin Jam#1. Here's a link to a discussion of a couple ways to fix it. https://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32740&hilit=+marlin+jam

My second 1895 developed this after tens of thousands of rounds. I managed to fix it by polish/ bend work to the carrier,there were two deep notches. The rifle works fine now but I couldn't trust it anymore after those lockup experiences so I got rid of it. Got a new SBL.

I removed the knife-edge from my brand new SBL lever before firing it,it's surprising they still have that problem potential unfixed.

pietro
11-26-2018, 12:08 PM

If you're shooting LeverEvolution boolitts, a follower with a hole in it's center is needed.

Per Hornady:

NOTE: The innovative LEVERevolution® FTX® and MonoFlex® bullet designs may require a newer magazine follower to provide best possible functioning of the last round out of the magazine in certain guns.