PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the coolest new Glock available.

Idaho45guy
11-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Was really struggling to decide what new pistol to get as my new ultimate CCW gun. Bought a new M&P40c last month that I just haven't been crazy about. Luckily, I got such a good deal on it that if I sell it, I won't lose any money. So I started a new search.

I spent hours and hours reviewing videos, reading articles, perusing gun forums, fondling guns in gun shops in two states, and tossing coins.

It came down to two contenders; the Glock Gen 4 G23 or the Glock Gen 5 G19 MOS.

I preferred the .40 S&W and the flexibility of being able to change out the G23 to a .357 Sig or 9mm. The G23 with finger grooves felt slightly better in my hand than the G19, and the Blue Label price of $410 beat the G19 by $80.

But it all came down to the trigger and accuracy. The Gen 5 triggers I pulled all felt noticeably better than the Gen 4 triggers I pulled. Having bought three Glock Gen 4 pistols over the past three years, all have had markedly different triggers. From the perfect trigger in my G29, to the 9lb awful trigger in my G35, and the OK but mushy and stiff trigger in my G19.

So I ordered the G19 Gen 5 MOS version. The dealer said they are going like hotcakes now and finding one in the LE blue label program was tough in our area. He said although they are showing none available, he will make sure to get me one on the way tomorrow.

I fondled the G45, and I liked everything but the grip. I have larger hands, so it was a surprise that the G45 didn't feel better; it was just too long. The G19 Gen 5 grip is great, but that front cutout was annoying. The MOS version eliminates it.

So, I will have a pistol that is almost identical in size to my M&P40c, but holds 15rds, is hopefully more accurate, I can shoot it in GSSF matches, and has a way, way better trigger without having to take it apart and work on it.

Markopolo
11-23-2018, 10:41 AM
I am glad you found something... let us know how you like it after it arrives...

WebMonkey
11-23-2018, 10:42 AM
sweet!

a decent triggered gen4 g26 is my daily driver.

roysha
11-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Cool and glock are mutually exclusive.:evil:

9.3X62AL
11-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Gen3 Glock 23 is my EDC. That 19/23 size range does a lot of things very, very well.

DougGuy
11-23-2018, 05:52 PM
When they make a grip frame that doesn't cause the front sight to be up in the treeline somewhere, I may consider one. I *HATE* having to remember to cant my wrist forward to align the sights. My Kahr or any 1911 just sights naturally, if I was in total darkness the shot would hit where my forearm was pointed. Not so with the Glock grip frame.

dragon813gt
11-23-2018, 06:36 PM
When they make a grip frame that doesn't cause the front sight to be up in the treeline somewhere, I may consider one. I *HATE* having to remember to cant my wrist forward to align the sights. My Kahr or any 1911 just sights naturally, if I was in total darkness the shot would hit where my forearm was pointed. Not so with the Glock grip frame.

CZ will have the full line of the P-10 in stores very shortly. They’re being made in the US and will come optics ready. I don’t know if the initial ones be OR or not. No grip angle problems w/ them. I admit that I’m biased towards CZ.

Petrol & Powder
11-23-2018, 07:21 PM
I've always liked the G19/G23 platform. It is a very good combination of size, weight & capacity. Full sized grip, good sight radius, easy to conceal, high capacity and chambered in an adequate cartridge.

The 5th Gen Glocks looks to be a decent evolution of the Glock pistols. A redesigned firing pin safety that may provide a better pull (it looks a lot like what SIG has been doing for 40 years :p ) A no finger groove front strap (good if the finger grooves don't happen to fall in the right place for your particular hand), Front slide serrations (kind of a non-issue for me but harmless). Ambidextrous slide release. (good if your a lefty, a non issue for right handed shooters)

As for the grip angle that Doug-Guy hates, well that's a personal thing. I've always preferred the Glock grip angle but then I also like the H&K P7, the Ruger MKII and other pistols with a bit more rake. They point naturally for me and I have to adjust my hold for the 1911 and others with a more vertical grip. For point shooting the Glock is far more in sync with me. To each his own.

birch
11-23-2018, 07:27 PM
If I had to live with just one pistol, I would choose a Glock. I can't fall in love with them like I do steel frame pistols, but they just run and run and do that job very well. Congrats on finding the one.

I found a "Desert Storm" gen 2 at a local gun shop that I am considering.

sawinredneck
11-23-2018, 07:43 PM
I have the same problem, love the guns, just can’t shoot them!

dragon813gt
11-23-2018, 07:53 PM
The G19X fixes the grip angle issue. I guess perfection can be improved upon when a large military contract is being dangled in front of them [emoji23]

sawinredneck
11-23-2018, 08:58 PM
The G19X fixes the grip angle issue. I guess perfection can be improved upon when a large military contract is being dangled in front of them [emoji23]

Unfortunately the 19x is just too big to be a carry gun, I can CCW a FS 1911 because of its slimness, but I’m thinking the butt of the 19x is going to be a bit much.

Handloader109
11-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Arg. Glock. All the same. Large or small. G17 3rd gen is in the safe. Nah, I'll pass on another.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Idaho45guy
11-24-2018, 12:48 AM
Arg. Glock. All the same. Large or small. G17 3rd gen is in the safe. Nah, I'll pass on another.

That's an amazing statement. Heard similar talk in gun shops. Good luck with that.

Plate plinker
11-24-2018, 01:17 AM
I thought maybe you bought a Vickers Wilson Tactical version. THOSE are nice.

Idaho45guy
11-24-2018, 01:40 AM
I thought maybe you bought a Vickers Wilson Tactical version. THOSE are nice.

Very nice! But I'm not spending $1400 for a Glock...

Handloader109
11-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Hey, enjoy your newest glock.

I didnt say they wouldn't shoot. But new vs old? Version 3, 4, 5? They look and feel the same, nothing amazing about them, they are ugly plastic guns. Most shoot very well under poor maintenance. Ask police armorers. So do others. They are cheap, made for lowest bidder.

What's really crazy to me is the p80 craze. **** lowers that do nothing but make a good gun perform worse. Now that is stupid.

Petrol & Powder
11-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Seems like if you put the word "Glock" somewhere in a post, it produces strong responses.

I never hated the Glocks but it did take a while for me to warm up to them. I'm there now - They WORK and there's a lot to be said for that. The simplicity of the design is its true strength. They are incredibly reliable and durable. You don't need to change barrels, connectors, triggers, etc. They are fine right out of the box. In fact, most of the problems I've seen with Glocks are caused by people attempting to "improve" them.

Glocks are not pretty to look at but they work. The beauty of a Glock is its reliability and durability.

43PU
11-24-2018, 09:20 AM
My daily carry is a Glock 42 I always carry in my back pocket(like a billfold)

Petrol & Powder
11-24-2018, 09:27 AM
As for Glocks being "cheap" and made for the lowest bidder, I don't believe that is an accurate way to characterize the guns.

Yes, they are inexpensive but I wouldn't use the word "cheap" to describe a Glock. The design allows Glock to hit a low price point but that is due to engineering and production methods, not degrading the quality.

A molded plastic frame with slide rails and a serial number block embedded is inexpensive to produce once you get the molds and equipment sorted out. Stamped steel parts like connectors, trigger bars and slide stops are inexpensive to produce and more than adequate for the job they perform. The parts that need to be strong like the barrel and slide, are strong. Glock puts the money into where it needs to and saves money where they can.
I don't think the Glock is made for the lowest bid, I think the Glock became the lowest bid due to good engineering. You can't blame Glock for capturing the lowest bid when they did so through efficient engineering.

Idaho45guy
11-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Seems like if you put the word "Glock" somewhere in a post, it produces strong responses.

Yep. I went through a few of them and never really warmed up to them about two decades ago. I liked the M&Ps better, or Walthers, or XDs.

Then the Gen 4 came out and now the Gen 5. Now I like them.

But I never felt the need to go into any thread about Glocks and badmouth them.

Same as 1911s. I think they are obsolete and stupid for carry pistols, yet I don't go into threads of people who just bought one and trash them. I have class. Glock haters typically don't.

str8wal
11-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Cool and glock are mutually exclusive.:evil:

Thinking alike ;-)

roysha
11-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Yep. I went through a few of them and never really warmed up to them about two decades ago. I liked the M&Ps better, or Walthers, or XDs.

Then the Gen 4 came out and now the Gen 5. Now I like them.

But I never felt the need to go into any thread about Glocks and badmouth them.

Same as 1911s. I think they are obsolete and stupid for carry pistols, yet I don't go into threads of people who just bought one and trash them. I have class. Glock haters typically don't.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to dislike some guns and like others on this site. I guess I just DON'T have any class. Oh well. Perhaps those that do will have enough to negate my classlessness.

Love Life
11-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Glock pistols are great tools, and have a beauty of their own.

9.3X62AL
11-24-2018, 01:44 PM
I don't get wrapped around an axle if someone likes or dislikes a given make of pistol that I like or dislike. That Ford/Chevy/Mopar-type banter is fun if it's good-natured, but really has no place in an earnest discussion of "good" and "bad" design features. Just those descriptors alone state the obvious--that the matter involves subjective impressions and personal tastes. I worked in a unique environment for one of the venues I was assigned to--firearms trainer. My shop authorized 300 make/model/caliber variants of revolver and autopistol after 1994, and in order to help the guys and gals that came to train and qualify with that array of authorized sideiron and holsterplastic I made it my business to be abundantly familiar with just about all of them.

My conclusions? All of the makes we authorized (and a few others) are really good, reliable sidearms. They all run well if fed with good ammo from good magazines, their failure rates are negligible, and they almost never "break". Compared to the autopistol landscape of, say, 1970--the gunmakers came a long way.

Do I have "favorites"? Of course I do--Glock 23 is my most common EDC, and a SIG P-220 or P-226 goes along in town in cooler weather. Back-country travel sees me with a S&W 686 x 4", and often a levergun or 223 gas gun of some kind behind the truck seat. These are products of "tastes" and "preferences", which may or may not correspond to your needs and environments. As during my days as a LE trainer, it wasn't my place to criticize the choices made by others--my tasking was to get the folks comfy with their choices if at all possible, and to know enough to send folks in other directions if their needs and preferences showed a problem. That rubric prevails for me on this hobby site as well.

Petrol & Powder
11-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Al wrote: "I don't get wrapped around an axle if someone likes or dislikes a given make of pistol that I like or dislike......."

/\ Ditto /\

Idaho45guy
11-24-2018, 08:03 PM
I don't get wrapped around an axle if someone likes or dislikes a given make of pistol that I like or dislike. That Ford/Chevy/Mopar-type banter is fun if it's good-natured, but really has no place in an earnest discussion of "good" and "bad" design features. Just those descriptors alone state the obvious--that the matter involves subjective impressions and personal tastes. I worked in a unique environment for one of the venues I was assigned to--firearms trainer. My shop authorized 300 make/model/caliber variants of revolver and autopistol after 1994, and in order to help the guys and gals that came to train and qualify with that array of authorized sideiron and holsterplastic I made it my business to be abundantly familiar with just about all of them.

My conclusions? All of the makes we authorized (and a few others) are really good, reliable sidearms. They all run well if fed with good ammo from good magazines, their failure rates are negligible, and they almost never "break". Compared to the autopistol landscape of, say, 1970--the gunmakers came a long way.

Do I have "favorites"? Of course I do--Glock 23 is my most common EDC, and a SIG P-220 or P-226 goes along in town in cooler weather. Back-country travel sees me with a S&W 686 x 4", and often a levergun or 223 gas gun of some kind behind the truck seat. These are products of "tastes" and "preferences", which may or may not correspond to your needs and environments. As during my days as a LE trainer, it wasn't my place to criticize the choices made by others--my tasking was to get the folks comfy with their choices if at all possible, and to know enough to send folks in other directions if their needs and preferences showed a problem. That rubric prevails for me on this hobby site as well.

Now that's class... :drinks:

44MAG#1
11-30-2018, 11:04 AM

I have both Glocks and 1911's. While the 1911's will point somewhat more naturally neither one is the "cats meow".
Have shot both fast and slow. I have done the draw and shoot from the hip with my Glock M30 and can shoot quite rapidly and keep them well inside the 8 inch ring on an IDPA target at close distances and can also do the same and have kept the majority of 20 rounds in the head of the target. None were misses. Just a few in the neck area but they would have taken out the spine. 4 series of 5 shots each.
At 7 yards I can do well with the Glocks with either hand. And I am not a left hand shooter.
Across a room, unless one lives in a mansion where the rooms are grreeaatt big, either one will drop an intruder unless one is totally out of practice. In that case practice will help no matter what gun one uses.
To each his own, and I am the one that about 14 years ago after owning 2 Glocks said I would never own another.
Guess what, I own some now. Shoot them more than the 1911's which is my most favorite Semi Auto. Carry a Glock too.
Life is a learning process, especially about oneself.
45 Auto, thats where its at.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

El Bibliotecario
11-30-2018, 12:26 PM
lI assume many users of Browning system pistols do not like Glocks because they do not have ducktail grip safeties long enough to double as shoehorns.

My complaint is the Glock's coarsely checkered front strap and the cutout at the bottom of the front strap, both of which abrade my hand. I solved this problem with an unserviceable inner tube from a bicycle shop which provided a lifetime supply of slip-on grips which eliminated both my complaints. The tire company logo is now displayed on the grip, which I find appropriate for such an industrial-looking weapon.

dkf
11-30-2018, 12:39 PM
The MOS is a nice idea but in reality the way Glock went about it with spacers is not ideal. You are much better off getting the slide milled ot the optic you want to run and then you can use tall sights to cowitness with the RD. As for the Gen5 there are some things I like about but not that much. I like the grip with no finger grooves, the texture and dehorning the front of the slide but that is about it. Almost none of the Gen5 parts will fit my Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks and vice versa. The way Glock did the front cutout for the mag and the flared well is stupid. When you are trying to pull a mag out you naturally grab it at the sides, not the front. Magwells are not stupid per se just the way Glock designed it. Glock triggers have always varied some in my experience, I know they do on mine.(all bought new) One is fairly light and has a nice crisp break, put all the internals from that one into another Glock with not as nice of a break and nothing changed.(must be something in the frame) Nothing a connector can't greatly improve. I like some of the configurations the newer Gen5s come in but there is no way I am buying a Gen5.

Idaho45guy
12-01-2018, 01:57 AM
The MOS is a nice idea but in reality the way Glock went about it with spacers is not ideal. You are much better off getting the slide milled ot the optic you want to run and then you can use tall sights to cowitness with the RD. As for the Gen5 there are some things I like about but not that much. I like the grip with no finger grooves, the texture and dehorning the front of the slide but that is about it. Almost none of the Gen5 parts will fit my Gen3 and Gen4 Glocks and vice versa. The way Glock did the front cutout for the mag and the flared well is stupid. When you are trying to pull a mag out you naturally grab it at the sides, not the front. Magwells are not stupid per se just the way Glock designed it. Glock triggers have always varied some in my experience, I know they do on mine.(all bought new) One is fairly light and has a nice crisp break, put all the internals from that one into another Glock with not as nice of a break and nothing changed.(must be something in the frame) Nothing a connector can't greatly improve. I like some of the configurations the newer Gen5s come in but there is no way I am buying a Gen5.

The MOS version does not have the front grip cutout, which was a specification of the FBI, BTW. That cutout was annoying to me as well.

As for the trigger, I disagree about improving the trigger being as simple as swapping connectors (which are interchangeable between the Gen 4 and Gen 5s).

Sure, you can put in an aftermarket connector, but getting a lighter pull means trading off crispness and reset. Some connectors are better at that than others, but there is always a trade-off. I've had three Gen 4 Glock pistols the last three years and all have had different trigger pulls. Every Gen 5 I've fondled in gun shops has had the same lighter and crisper trigger than the majority of Gen 4s. I like that the baseline Gen 5 trigger feel is better than the Gen 4 out of the box.

The Gen 5 NDLC coating is also much better than the scratch N' sniff Gen 4 coating.

And the barrels are more accurate, which for folks like me that enjoy 25yd shooting in matches, can make a difference.

I actually liked the finger grooves on the Gen 4 models as they fit me perfectly.

But, I get your points and understand them.

dkf
12-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Its a duty/combat handgun. Connectors that reduce pull weight by a good bit can feel mushy. They are not the only connectors available. The coating on the Gen5 is Ionbond and is proving to be far less durable than the previous finishes even the Gen4. There are numerous threads complaining about the rather rapid finish wear on many forums. The coating was a marketing ploy by Glock just like the "marksman" barrel. But at least Glock extended the throat some now on the newer barrels due to chambering issues owners were having. Reviewers like MAC have saw no accuracy improvement with the new barrels vs other Gens. Until I see head to head ransom rest tests with at least 5 or 6 different types of ammo I am not buying the accuracy improvement.

dverna
12-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Finding a pistol that fits your hand and you can shoot well can be challenging but worth the journey. And then finding a holster very complicates matters. Advice from others can help but no matter what the internet commandos say, in the end, find what works for you.

I carry either the Gen 4 Glock or Kahr and I went though a lot of guns getting there, and about two shoe boxes of holsters.

Glad you found a good gun for you sir...enjoy it!

gnostic
12-01-2018, 12:03 PM
CZ will have the full line of the P-10 in stores very shortly. They’re being made in the US and will come optics ready. I don’t know if the initial ones be OR or not. No grip angle problems w/ them. I admit that I’m biased towards CZ.

CZ points where I'm looking and that's a big deal to me...

Idaho45guy
12-05-2018, 01:12 AM
New Glock arrived today and it is now prepped for a range trip tomorrow.

It arrived with the factory rear night sight way off. So I centered it, added the medium beavertail grip insert, took it apart and polished the trigger connector and bar, and checked the trigger pull. Box says 5.5lbs on it and it broke at 5.5lbs. Will likely add a factory Glock (-) connector to get it to 4.5lbs.

I have 6 different reload recipes to try tomorrow and 3 various factory loads; trying to find the most accurate target round and most accurate defensive round.

43PU
12-05-2018, 10:37 AM
That’s a nice looking rig up there I have never tried the GEN five I have about five Gen 4s. But never have shot a Gen 5

Moonie
12-05-2018, 10:39 PM

I unerstand DougGuy, I actually built a 940 ghost gun, not for the ghost gun bit but because it has the 1911 grip angle with the glock upper and internals. I don't care for the grip angle on glocks, my middle son loves them and I have shot them but like you, just can't stand it. The 940v2 I have points just like a 1911, I really enjoy shooting it (it is a G17 upper).

Idaho45guy
12-05-2018, 11:09 PM
I unerstand DougGuy, I actually built a 940 ghost gun, not for the ghost gun bit but because it has the 1911 grip angle with the glock upper and internals. I don't care for the grip angle on glocks, my middle son loves them and I have shot them but like you, just can't stand it. The 940v2 I have points just like a 1911, I really enjoy shooting it (it is a G17 upper).

I find them to be the most naturally pointing pistol I've found.

Took mine to the range and the combat drill shooting results were quite impressive. Drew and fired 15 rounds in 5 seconds at 7yds and got a 4.5" group. Extremely happy with the results...

Petrol & Powder
12-06-2018, 07:59 AM
I have always found the Glocks to point well for me.

I don't think the grip angle issue is anything new. If I extend my arm out with my thumb up and fingers out (like to shake hands) and then close my fingers - the corresponding grip angle is far closer to that of a Glock, Luger P-08, H&K P7, Ruger Standard, etc. I think the Glock grip angle is anatomically closer to a human's natural grip angle. However, that's not the end of the story.

I think people raised on 1911's, S&W 39's, Colt 1903, etc. just have an ingrained grip angle that corresponds to the Browning pattern. That muscle memory is hard to override. So while the Browning pattern is not as natural, it can become the individual's default.

In any event, The Glock is an outstanding combat pistol.

As for trigger pull, after shooting DA revolvers for many, many years; I don't think one needs a 2 pound single action trigger to shoot a handgun well. The factory 5.5 lb Glock trigger is fine and I wouldn't want to go any lower on a combat pistol with that system. I've shot the NY-1 and NY-2 Glock triggers and believe it or not, they're entirely serviceable too.

Steel sights with night sight inserts are about the only thing you may need to add to a Glock, IMO. Other than that possible modification, leave it alone !

Idaho45guy - congrats on your new pistol ! Looks like you have a winner.

mozeppa
12-06-2018, 08:36 AM
don't forget the snap on lid for glock accessory ....it keeps deviled eggs fresh til you get to the picnic!:bigsmyl2:

MOA
12-06-2018, 08:39 AM
I was working for a small shop in Flagstaff Arizona when the first Glocks started to arrive in 1980. First generation Olive Drab color. Wish I had purchased about a dozen of them now. Anyways, all the LEO's were either carrying revolvers or auto loaders at the time. Didn't take long for the Glock's to win out over the revolvers and existing auto loaders of the day. Glock has been at the leading edge of hand gun development for many, many years now, I'm just waiting for them to move into the AR style platforms in a big way just to see what they will come up with against the AR and the H&K competition via law enforcement utility.

FergusonTO35
12-06-2018, 10:00 AM
The coolest new Glock for me is still the 42. All the Glocks have a competitor equivalent but the 42 still stands on it's own. I love mine and shoot it really well with homebrew +P loads. It also shoots cast just fine. The new OEM minus connector is a welcome improvement, gets the trigger pull down to the same as my stock 19 and 26.

ThomR
12-11-2018, 02:23 PM
I've never owned a Glock, but have always appreciated their reliability. I've never found their grips comfortable, but that has nothing to do with their reputation as a quality firearm.
Recently I was in a gun store and noticed that they had some Polymer80 frames in, and that got the wheels turning. A couple days ago I stopped in there and asked to see one of the frames. In my opinion it felt much more comfortable than a Glock frame.
So last night I pulled the trigger and ordered everything I need to put together a Polymer80 PF940v2 in 9mm. If this turns out as good as I'm expecting it too I will probably end up building another one in 40S&W.

FergusonTO35
12-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Another thing: the 42 has a perfect grip for me. I modified all my other Glocks, but this one was perfect out of the box for me. With the new gen. 5's, Glock seems to be making improvements.

gwpercle
12-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Sorry , Glocks aren't cool.... Now a Colt 1911 are Cool !

El Bibliotecario
12-11-2018, 06:09 PM

The late LTC 'Jeff' Cooper once said that the FAL rifle was a weapon for the classes, while the Kalashnikov was a weapon for the masses. I imagine he might have said the same of Glocks. I own both a Kalashnikov and a Glock, and find them well designed and useful tools--but prefer the Colt Govt Model.

Idaho45guy
12-12-2018, 12:37 PM
What possessed you to troll a thread about Glocks?
I'm the OP and obviously I like Glocks. You come into a thread and insult me and my weapon of choice. Why?
Why do owners of an antiquated, inefficient, ow capacity, and unreliable design feel the need to bash and insult Glocks at every opportunity??
Are you that insecure? Or just impolite?

44MAG#1
12-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Everyone else gets the same treatment.
Why should anyone else be any different?

Again I mean no harm, hurt or anguish by my post on this posted thread. I am merely making a post based on my experience, belief, opinion and or observation. I am not calling out, trolling or baiting anyone here. Thank you.

marek313
12-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Man these Glock threads always blow up. Its a personal preference and all your guns will get along just fine in your safe so why owners always pick a fight. its a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument.

Glocks are good at what they do and are very reliable so from that perspective they have an edge over many other hand guns that cant even claim reliability. Unfortunately I dont feel Glock is keeping up with many other manufacturers. Most of Glock upgrades in new models include different back strap or finger grooves. With all that money that glock is making I'm expecting more. Again its my personal opinion based on what i know and I dont know everything so take it with a grain of salt. I prefer CZ, Sig and i will go as far as Canik TP9 series before I pick up a Glock and I've shot quite a few by now from plain Jane to custom $1500 G17 with long slide and custom trigger.

Either way congrats and enjoy your Glock i hope it serves you well.

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2018, 11:55 AM
So, Idaho45Guy , what's the verdict? Have you had a chance to shoot that new pistol?

birch
12-23-2018, 02:29 PM
I am in the process of trading a Gen 1 Glock for a Armalite AR-180 and a Colt Custom Shop 100th year anniversary 1911 (the one with imitation Kraft box and wax paper). Believe it or not, it was a very hard decision. I am equally at home with a Les Baer 1911 and a Glock 17. There is something very comforting about Glocks. .......but yes, there seems to be very hard feelings about both sides of this coin. This is always very weird to me. Honestly, couldn't we all get along with a .22, a shotgun and a centerfire? It is strange people would attack someone based on their preferences.

FergusonTO35
12-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Sorry , Glocks aren't cool.... Now a Browning Hi-Power are Cool !

Fixed it for you.:-P

Idaho45guy
12-24-2018, 01:47 AM
So, Idaho45Guy , what's the verdict? Have you had a chance to shoot that new pistol?

It is an absolute awesome combat pistol! Drew from concealment and fired 15 rounds in 5 seconds at a target 7yds away and got this group...

25yds testing has been mixed and a bit disappointing. Pretty sure it's because with my new glasses I got this summer, the sights are always blurry. So, I ordered a Burris Fastfire III red dot for it last night. Will install it and go back to the range to see if I can get the 25yd group sizes under 2".

I won't be able to compete with the pistol in GSSF Stock division due to the sight, and I'm not interested in replacing any of the factory parts with race parts since it's my main CCW gun. But I'm fine with always being in the top 5 but never winning.

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2018, 07:16 AM
I've always considered the G19 to be one of the best combat pistols available.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-24-2018, 10:23 AM
I've always considered the G19 to be one of the best combat pistols available.

Yep almost as good as a 1911:kidding:

FergusonTO35
12-24-2018, 10:23 AM
Me too, although strangely I shoot my 26 a lot better.

Forrest r
12-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Been taking a hard look at the g19 gen 5's myself. I really like that they did away with the finger grooves and used traditional rifling in the gen 5 bbl.'s. I'm not a trigger snob (too many years shooting long heavy double action triggers on revolvers) so if they say they improved the trigger I believe them. I also like the flared mag well.
My big question is did they re-shape and beef up the slide to take care of the slide cracking issues the gen 4's had?

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2018, 02:17 PM
What slide cracking issues ?

jmort
12-24-2018, 02:44 PM
We all have access to Google
Just google "glock crack"
Frame, slide, breech-face
Just like you can google "glock kaboom"

Idaho45guy
12-24-2018, 03:06 PM
http://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/most-pistols-can-handle-more-abuse-than-you-think/329812#

"Never trust an internet forum post or source that states, “I have at least xx,xxx rounds through my pistol and it has been flawless.” There’s a better than average chance they are lying. The internet is a breeding ground for exaggeration and outright lies; proceed with caution.

There are certainly plenty of folks out there who do a ton of shooting, but few of them live on the internet. They’re usually out shooting instead of posting online. The louder the proclamation, the less likely it is to be true..."

"Gun rental shops are also a great place to find information about pistols that see a lot of rounds. One of the most active rental shops in the country is Battlefield Las Vegas (BLV).

The guns that BLV rents are mostly the guns the military uses or that are popular in video games. New shooters or people who don’t own guns are often enticed to their first shooting experience through those two mediums.

By putting multiple guns through hundreds of thousands of rounds, BLV is able to develop a great picture of what types of pistols last and what don’t. The verdict: full-size pistols are where it’s at.

The pistols that get shot the most at BLV are the SIG Sauer P226, Glock 17 and Beretta 92. Based on BLV’s experience, each of those pistols will go 50,000 to 100,000 rounds before there is a parts failure. It is not uncommon for these guns to continue to function reliably even with a cracked frame or slide. The point of impact might shift, but they still shoot reliably. Many parts failures are only detected during cleaning and maintenance sessions, not from a malfunctioning pistol."

Forrest r
12-24-2018, 11:32 PM
They increased the size of the diameter of the guide rod assembly when they went from the gen3 to the gen4. This made the hole in the front of the slide larger/weaker. It takes no where near 100,000 rounds for the gen4 slides to crack. Not internet lore, common knowledge, start looking for cracks at the 20,000 round count.
https://i.imgur.com/70LikuN.jpg

This is why I asked if the beefed up the slide on the gen5's.

20,000 rounds sounds like a lot but if do any shooting at all, you'll go thru 20,000 rounds in a hurry.

Idaho45guy
12-25-2018, 02:43 PM
They increased the size of the diameter of the guide rod assembly when they went from the gen3 to the gen4. This made the hole in the front of the slide larger/weaker. It takes no where near 100,000 rounds for the gen4 slides to crack. Not internet lore, common knowledge, start looking for cracks at the 20,000 round count.

20,000 rounds sounds like a lot but if do any shooting at all, you'll go thru 20,000 rounds in a hurry.

Pretty sure that's an unsubstantiated rumor spread by Glock haters.

If there really was such a widespread issue with ALL Gen 4 Glocks occurring at 20k rounds, don't you think there would be some outcry on the internet? Why would police agencies continue to buy and issue them? Why is there pretty much no consensus online that this is an issue? After 9 years of production, you would think that guns would be breaking in the hands of shooters all over.

And I have been on Glock and firearms internet forums for over 20 years and this is the first I've heard of this supposed issue.

So it's not common knowledge and it's complete bunk.

BTW, we really did land on the moon...

jmort
12-25-2018, 02:49 PM
The irony is truly entertaining

dkf
12-25-2018, 04:31 PM

It happens but it really is rare. Not something I worry about because Glock will replace it for free if you send it in.

FergusonTO35
12-27-2018, 02:12 PM
With my mild loads, I don't think that is going to happen to my 19 or 26 for a few lifetimes!

Idaho45guy
12-27-2018, 05:00 PM
With my mild loads, I don't think that is going to happen to my 19 or 26 for a few lifetimes!

As long as you don't drop your Glock on concrete, you should be fine. That's apparently what happened to the pistol shown.

Of course the never-Glockers will say that Glocks are junk because they can't be dropped onto concrete without damage while their pet pistol can't be carried in a pocket since pocket lint jams it up.

FergusonTO35
12-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Haters gonna hate. Glock is not perfection by any means, but they do a really good job. Refining the same design over the decades almost always gives better results than starting from scratch over and over.

Forrest r
12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Haters gonna hate. Glock is not perfection by any means, but they do a really good job. Refining the same design over the decades almost always gives better results than starting from scratch over and over.

Ya that's it, Gota be a glock hater!!!!

Asked a real world question & ended up with 20 years of glock experience that taught the poster they put a man on the moon. Along with the usual denial/denial/denial. What crack??? Can't forget the typical gota hate glocks!!!!

I know this is a cast bullet forum and I shouldn't expect too much out of the members when asking about technical questions relating to firearms. But on other forums it's nothing to see/read the generic "ya, they beefed up the front of the slides on the gen5's to stop the cracking issues the gen4's had." Figured I might as well ask here, Big mistake!!!

Sure am glad I didn't ask about the weak extraction on the gen5's & if it's due to the "beefing up" of the front of the slide that holds the recoil lug/spring. If I did I'm sure there'd be more nasa reports, glock hater quotes, never herd of it, had to of dropped it, etc.

jmort
12-28-2018, 01:13 PM
Stop with the facts and reality.
Let's play pretend.
You are a very bad man with all your facts and reality.

FergusonTO35
12-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Ya that's it, Gota be a glock hater!!!!

Asked a real world question & ended up with 20 years of glock experience that taught the poster they put a man on the moon. Along with the usual denial/denial/denial. What crack??? Can't forget the typical gota hate glocks!!!!

I know this is a cast bullet forum and I shouldn't expect too much out of the members when asking about technical questions relating to firearms. But on other forums it's nothing to see/read the generic "ya, they beefed up the front of the slides on the gen5's to stop the cracking issues the gen4's had." Figured I might as well ask here, Big mistake!!!

Sure am glad I didn't ask about the weak extraction on the gen5's & if it's due to the "beefing up" of the front of the slide that holds the recoil lug/spring. If I did I'm sure there'd be more nasa reports, glock hater quotes, never herd of it, had to of dropped it, etc.

I wasn't talking about your post or even thinking about it, sorry if I gave that impression. I was just talking about the anti-Glock crowd in general.

Forrest r
12-29-2018, 10:29 AM
I wasn't talking about your post or even thinking about it, sorry if I gave that impression. I was just talking about the anti-Glock crowd in general.

Wasn't singling you out, I apologize to you if you think I was.
I simply quoted your post as an example of the "wall" that came from asking what I believed a real question. Don't hate glocks, never owned 1 but if anyone bothers to do a search they will find that I have stuck up for them and the bashing in the past going back to 2011.
I have owned raceguns in the past, they were built on 1911 platforms. I thinned the herd but still own 2 target 1911's to this day & that's the configuration they will stay. Been looking at SA's XD(M) series, S&W's m&p 9l, walter q5's and glocks.
Typically you put $400 in a $500 gun and end up with a $300 custom. The glocks are known for their ease of customization while retaining their value. I was trying to ask about any real/perceived design flaws/issues with the gen5's before I lay down the $$$ for 1 and then put more $$$ customizing it. Considering that I live near the fin feather fur stores that have not only good prices on their firearms to begin with. They have sales a couple times a year knocking $100 to $200 off their store prices on the walters/SA's & s&w's.
I can pickup a walter q5 off of them on sale for under $600 out the door, SA xd(m)'s & S&W m&p 9l's for $500 & change when they're on sale.
From the lack of clarity from threads like these I leads me to believe the walter q5 is the way to go. Myself I'm proud of the firearms I own & what they can do. If there's any flaws in design or workmanship I'll be the 1st to say so. Along with telling other about what I encountered and what steps I took to resolve issues if possible. And owning a glock will not change that.