PDA

View Full Version : My Ruger Auto Pistol conversion Project

Chev. William
11-22-2018, 02:06 AM
I have begun a project to convert a Ruger .22LR "Standard Auto" MKII Pistol to Center Fire and .25ACP Cartridge use.

The MKII Pistol was purchased used at the end of July 2018 and I received possession about two weeks later in accordance with California Laws and Regulations.

It came to me as a 4-34" Barreled pistol modified for target use with a Volquartsen molded Grip, with thumb rest and hand 'heel' support one piece wrap around.

This November I sent the Receiver-Barrel assembly, the Bolt assembly, a MKI 'takeoff' barrel for a measuring sample, a roughly 8" long Remanent L.W. Cr-Mo Alloy steel .25 Auto/6,35 Browning Pistol Barrel Blank, and my custom 'Straight Cylinder' Finish Chamber reamer with .2795' Body diameter to John Taylor Machine in WA for machining a new roughly 8" barrel and fitting it to my MKII Receiver.
John Taylor also said he would look into converting my Bolt assembly to Center Fire use.

John notified me via PM that he has assembled my parts onto his Grip frame and test fired my bolt, receiver and New Barrel.

John also reported he used Carbide End Mills to make the CF Firing Pin hole in the Hard Bolt.

Now I need to get onto the part of making a New Magazine to fit the Ruger grip frame and feed angle.
So far it looks like Beretta 'Bobcat M25' 8-shot or 9-shot magazines may be a good donor for my purposes. Probably need two or three cut up and welded together to make one long body Mag to properly feed and fit the Ruger Pistol as Ruger uses a Bottom rotating catch to hold the Magazine in the pistol, so magazine Length is critical to function.

Beretta "950" Model magazines also may be usable with the same length problems.

Both of these have a semicircular front edge and a square rear edge that will fit in the Ruger Grip frame.
A Beretta JM25 .25ACP Mag. with its more square front edge, does NOT fit.

Chev. William

Petrol & Powder
11-22-2018, 07:59 AM
That's a cool project.

Is there enough room in the .22 magazine for a 25ACP cartridge? If so, it may be easier to change the shape of the existing feed lips on the Ruger magazine. If the Beretta 25 ACP mag is too fat to fit in the grip frame, you will need to open up the grip frame to accept a larger magazine. That means you have to fabricate a magazine and modify the grip frame.

Keep us updated, this sounds like a good project.

Chev. William
11-22-2018, 11:24 AM
I have tried Ruger Pre-Mark, MKI and MKII magazines for .25ACP possible fit and none will accept a .25ACP cartridge because of the Body Contour full Length 'ribs' impressed into the Magazine sides to guide the .22 bullets and also 'trap' the Magazine springs in one part of the Magazine body.

A sample Beretta 7-shot .25ACP 'Bobcat' magazine fit 'easily' into the Ruger Mag. well and a Beretta "950" .25ACP magazine fits 'closely' in the Ruger mag well with the exception of the Base plate nose being too wide for the Ruger Well Mouth.

To my Eyes, it looks like I would have to either grind on the Magazine Base plate nose or Grind on the Ruger mag Well Base opening to get the "950" magazine to fit properly.
Perhaps I will buy a spare grip frame to experiment with. My Local Gun Shop does have a number of 'left over' Ruger Auto Pistol Grip Frames to choose from.

For Balance, I think I should stick with the Steel Ruger Grip frames and not use one of the aftermarket Aluminum Alloy grip frames available for the Ruger Auto Pistol.

Best Regards for Thanksgiving 2018,
Chev. William

Moleman-
11-22-2018, 12:21 PM
The grip angle and consequently the magazine angle on the Ruger MKII is more than many other 22's. How does the grip angles of the Bobcat and 950 compare to the MkII? I wonder if a 22/45 would match the angles of the 25ACP magazines better.

Mk42gunner
11-22-2018, 12:59 PM
I've been thinking about this magazine alteration off and on since I first read of your idea. Since you have identified a couple of donor mag bodies that can be altered to fit the well, the next big issue is going to be feed speed, i.e. does the magazine spring have enough stored energy to push the next round in place to feed in time for the bolt to strip it out of the feed lips?

I don't think the Beretta springs will work since it sounds like they will be too short. Maybe the Ruger springs will, and that is what I would try first; since it sounds like you will be using one for the base of your custom mag. It has been several years since I held a Ruger .22 mag in my hands, is the magazine spring a round coil or is a rectangular spring?

Robert

Outpost75
11-22-2018, 01:25 PM
John is a skilled machinist and clever mechanic. I have greatly enjoyed the "Infamous Bunny Gun" and rook rifle projects he has done for me, as well as my James Bond Bunny Gun.

I look forward with great anticipation to reading about your conversion.

Chev. William
11-22-2018, 02:16 PM
I have seen both Round coil spring (in the front portion of the Ruger Magazine) and Rectangular Springs (in the rear portion of the Ruger Magazine); so that is a possibility.

Perhaps also the Beretta Spring might work; as I will, due to California Regulations, need limit my Magazine to ten rounds capacity yet the overall length would allow a few more possible.
This would indicate a 'filler' below the Follower and Spring to limit the capacity, and an eight round Spring should feed up to ten rounds reliably.

Yes I will need to reform the Feed Lips and angle them to match the Ruger feed angle. That will need to be done BEFORE trim and Weld as the overall length is Critical to proper feed Position. The Ruger Standard Auto grip frame has the Magazine catch at the Bottom of The Mag. Well so it rotates to catch on the bottom of the Base Plate.

I am thinking that a Steel Form Block fitted to the inside of the Beretta Magazine body with the Ruger Feed lip inside contour and angle will work as a "Form Buck" in reforming the Top fo the Beretta donor body.

Then, a Copper Welding Block,. also fitted to the Beretta magazine body insides and made with the Ruger Feed lip angle and an overall length longer than the finished welded body. would hold the parts in alignment while minimizing the inside weld bead for TIG welding by an Aerospace qualified welding shop.

I used this process (Copper weld Jig) to make single stack .45 Win. Mag ten round magazines for a M1 Carbine conversion.
Each Magazine body weld cost $10 at the time.

Chev. William

Petrol & Powder
11-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Could you cut the impressed "ribs" out of the Ruger .22 magazine so that there was greater width inside the Ruger mag ? That way you would still have the required length and the angles of the feed lips and base plate would still match the Ruger grip frame.

dverna
11-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Could you cut the impressed "ribs" out of the Ruger .22 magazine so that there was greater width inside the Ruger mag ? That way you would still have the required length and the angles of the feed lips and base plate would still match the Ruger grip frame.

Exactly what I was thinking. If that would work it would be a simple modification

Chev. William
11-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Petrol & Powder,
The Two ribs, one on either side, are deeper than the thickness of the side metal and extend almost the full length of the Magazine.
Internal width of the Ruger Magazine is about .250 inch which will not allow the .25ACP rim of .304"-.307" diameter to enter.

It is a Good start on a Magazine for .22 Ladybug-Repeater conversions.
Sadly, it does not look like a good candidate for a .221 Askins magazine either.

Chev. William

Chev. William
11-29-2018, 02:20 AM
My Ruger MKII .25ACP barrel is completely machined and is going out for Bluing Finish.
I am Planning on sending John Taylor a second 'Installment' on the costs soon.

Chev. William

NoZombies
11-29-2018, 03:23 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out for you, I've got little to add, but I'll be watching!

FergusonTO35
11-29-2018, 07:09 AM
I LOVE weird projects like this. Eagerly following!

rking22
11-29-2018, 08:56 PM
Same here, just so I can watch the proceedings!

Chev. William
12-01-2018, 09:41 PM
the afternoon and Evening of November 30th I was able to use the Facilities of my Friends Special Effects shop to begin making the Jigs and Tools to remake Beretta 950 .25ACP magazines into ones that will fit and function in my Ruger MKII Pistol conversion.

First items are the welding jig pieces that go inside the bodies during welding.
Two pieces of 1/8" thick Copper bar and a Piece of rolled Steel sheet stack up to fit the inside of the Mag. Bodies but required grinding down in width and beveling/radiusing of one edge of the Copper bars to match the inside Full radius curve of the Bodies. This was accomplished by the end of the shop time available.

Still to be determined are the Clamping and aligning portions of the Weld Jig.

Also still to be fabricated are Form Blocks to reform the Feed Lips and Angle to match the Ruger Feed Angle.

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-05-2018, 03:25 PM
December 4th, I mailed a Check to John Taylor Machine in WA to pay the remainder of my bill to convert a Ruger Bolt to CF and to machine my Barrel blank to fit The Ruger MKII Standard Auto Pistol Receiver, plus the estimated cost to finish Blue the New Barrel.

Now to Wait Patiently for the Blue work to be completed and the parts shipped back to me.

So Far, I have about $832 invested in this Conversion project including the cost of the Used Ruger Pistol, the Barrel Blank, and John Taylor's Machining work.

I still need to modify magazines to fit the Grip frame and feed .25ACP cartridges.
To date I have invested about another $100 in parent magazines and raw material to make my tools and Jigs from.
I am planning to use cut and welded aftermarket Beretta "950" .25ACP 8-round Magazines as the parent basis, cutting two up to make a longer one to feed in the Ruger. The work needed is to first rework the bullet feed lips and angle to work in the Ruger, then cut and weld to make the correct overall Length required to fit the Ruger action; and finally make a "Blocker" to limit the Magazine capacity to 10-1/2 Rounds (the half is to allow inserting of a full (10 rounds) magazine into a closed breech Ruger Pistol action).

I have Started with making the 'weld jig' parts to align and protect the Magazine sections form oversize inside weld beads. Still to be made is the Clamping portions of the weld Jig and also the 'Form Block" to form the New Feed Lips over.

Today is Overcast and Rainy her and expected to rain tomorrow also, hopefully it will NOT start any Mud Flows in the recently Burned areas, I don't think the burned Area Victims would need further misery added.

Chev. William

JMtoolman
12-05-2018, 06:26 PM
How about cutting the rib of the ruger clip with an end mill? Something like a 3/16 th in end mill cut from the outside of the magazine from top to bottom of the indent. It would take a bit of the radius out of the inside of the mag on both sides. The cuts could be wider if more of the material needed to be machined away. It would also make the spring and follower and the loaded rounds easy to see. Just a thought from an old machinest. Best regards, the toolman.

Chev. William
12-05-2018, 11:20 PM
JMtoolman,
That Approach has been considered and set aside for the following main reasons:
1. Rim Diameter of the .25ACP is greater than the width of the Ruger .22LR Magazine.
2. Body diameter of the .25ACP is greater than the width of the Ruger .22LR Magazine.
3. Impressed ribs of the Ruger Magazine further reduce it working width; but do reduce the Friction of .22LR cartridges movement in the Magazine.
4. Ruger Factory Magazine springs are cylindrical Coil type guided by the ribs to stay in position.

Luckily, Ruger made the Grip Frame Magazine Well of such dimensions that a Beretta "950" .25ACP magazine body will slide into it. Perhaps Bill Ruger was thinking of the possibility of marketing a .25ACP version in the future?

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-11-2018, 12:02 AM
Happy News!!!

Today, December 10th, I received back my receiver with the Mounted .25ACP custom barrel and the CF converted Bolt along with my Two 'takeoff 4-3/4" Ruger Barrels and My custom chamber reamer.

The Barrel machining and finish is lovely with a finished length of 8-1/8 inches and the Muzzle is threaded 1/2-28(UNEF?). the Thread protector is knurled and Blue in finish, the Cleaning Crown protector is also knurled and blued. John made and fitted a Square front sight that is also finished Blue. The Color match to the receiver looks exact under interior Lighitng, it was already dark out when they were delivered so I will wait until tomorrow to view it in Sunlight, if it is not overcast tomorrow.

I(note on the two Ruger "Takeoff" 4-3/4" barrels the thread is apparently 'clocked' to start about even with the Extractor slot and the 'seating shoulders' are of Two different lengths, possibly to adjust for variations in receiver and barrel machining.

John's Invoice included with the items was dated 11/16/2018 and the 'Terms" listed is "Due Yesterday" But since I mailed the check for the remainder on December 4th, I guess he is happy too.

Now to get an Adjustable Rear Sight installed and make the magazines for the Firearm.

My Christmas Came early this year!

Chev. William

Catshooter
12-11-2018, 12:41 AM
What a fun project man!

Cat

lar45
12-12-2018, 10:45 AM
Have you fired it yet? Just feed it one at a time by hand and see how accurate it is. Also does it extract and eject, to check the action spring weight?
Pics please :)

Chev. William
12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Have you fired it yet? Just feed it one at a time by hand and see how accurate it is. Also does it extract and eject, to check the action spring weight?
Pics please :)
John Taylor reported he had test fired my Bolt-Receiver-Barrel set on his Grip Frame and it did Extract and Eject properly.
I have yet to Fire it on my Grip frame.
My Local Gun Shop gunsmith warned me tha ta threaded muzzle might make the assembled Pistol an "Assault Weapon" according to California Laws so I am going to machine off the Muzzle threads BEFORE assembling my pistol.
Thankfully, I was informed of the Possible law problem in time to avoid an expensive Legal Problem.
I plan to do the machine work this weekend if my Friend's Lathe is Available for use.
Of course This means I will have a 'white metal' tip on my Barrel for a time and the John Taylor made threaded Crown protector/cleaning guide will be unusable.

I guess I will probably make a 'Delrin' plastic Crown Protector to slip on the Muzzle later.

Photos Will eventually Be taken, and I hope Posted sometime in the future.
I had been Using "Photobucket"; but they seem to have changed the "rules " on me.

Chev. William

tinstarfirearms
12-14-2018, 12:17 AM
This gunbroker auction has a photo of a magazine that as made up for a .32s&W olympic pistol. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/791629148

Chev. William
12-14-2018, 11:59 AM
This gunbroker auction has a photo of a magazine that as made up for a .32s&W olympic pistol. https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/791629148

WOW! That IS a Very Interesting Conversion! I wonder how they Fitted ".32 S&W Long" cartridges into that 'short' (.22LR Length) magazine well? It looks like they used a MKI magazine Base closure on the converted Magazine.
Also the Mass added to the Bolt is very Interesting.

Thank you for sharing that link.

Chev. William

Mk42gunner
12-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Looking down the magwell of my Colt .22 (the High Standard is buried in the safe), and no Ruger to look at; perhaps they were able to mill out the magazine well?

Maybe even just file clearance since it would be a one of. Undoubtedly it was set up for .32 S&WL wadcutters, probably flush seated similar to the S&W Model 52 in .38 Special.

Robert

Drm50
12-14-2018, 10:59 PM
I have always wondered why there wasn't somebody making a Ruger type design in center fire. Because it is straight blow back there would be restrictions on power of cartridge. Of all the new cals that have come out, no company seems to want to cater to hunters. You would think a 25 or up to
32 cal rimless cartridge would have a good market. A good small game and varmit pistol would be
useful with the added benifit of reloading. It's the same thing in revolvers, every make is making bear guns and monster magnums. The niche that is not filled is some small bores that could be reloaded.

Chev. William
12-15-2018, 12:01 AM
I have always wondered why there wasn't somebody making a Ruger type design in center fire. Because it is straight blow back there would be restrictions on power of cartridge. Of all the new cals that have come out, no company seems to want to cater to hunters. You would think a 25 or up to
32 cal rimless cartridge would have a good market. A good small game and varmit pistol would be
useful with the added benifit of reloading. It's the same thing in revolvers, every make is making bear guns and monster magnums. The niche that is not filled is some small bores that could be reloaded.

First: I agree it appears that the Ruger "Standard Auto" .22LR pistol design is convertible to Center Fire operation and to cartridges of at least .32 Auto Colt Pistol semi-rimmed size.

I note That the Link provided in Post#23 above is for a Ruger conversion pistol in ".32S&W Long" that was used in competition shooting.
It appears that Added Mass was needed to handle the energy of the Cartridge as a Blowback operating design (looks like about two receiver diameters of added Mass in a round slug was added to the end of the bolt).

Second: the .25ACP and .32ACP cartridges are Both Semi-Rimmed designs.
The .22 Ladybug and Ladybug-Repeater are functionally Rimmed cartridge designs.

Third: Development of All three of the above 'pistol' cartridges (.22L-R, .25ACP, .32ACP) should be done in 24" long test Barrels like the .22LR RF cartridge is now.

Fourth: the rated Pressures for the 'new' cartridges should be at least up to 25,000psi MAP Pmax (Piezio) and even up to 50,000psi for Rifle use if each pressure level were labeled as such for 'modern' firearms use, not 'de-tuned' to what lawyers feel is suitable for Century Plus old firearms.

Fifth: bullet weights available should range from 20 to 70 grains in .22 cartridges;
35 to 74 grains in .25 Auto Cartridges; and 50 to 120 grains in .32 Auto cartridges. I believe these will give a vary wide performance choice area to give the shooter what they will like for various uses and ranges.

The Light end bullets loaded to subsonic velocities would be useful for pest control in a more urban environment
Middle weights at moderate to high velocity would be good for hunting and Target shooting at 100 yards or so.
Heavy bullets would stop predators if loaded to the Maximum allowable MAP.

Just my thinking on the subject, feel free to comment.

Chev. William

Drm50
12-15-2018, 03:04 AM
A rimless 25 case/ cartridge that was extended to max length without frame change would be a fairly
cheap retool. Firing pin, extractor , magazine and barrel. Added mass for bolt....and talk ammo co.
into making brass.

Chev. William
12-15-2018, 08:42 PM
A rimless 25 case/ cartridge that was extended to max length without frame change would be a fairly
cheap retool. Firing pin, extractor , magazine and barrel. Added mass for bolt....and talk ammo co.
into making brass.

Making a ".25" such as the .25ACP into a rimless design would require the Extractor clearance cut to be 'deeper' reducing the Primer pocket wall thickness and therefore requiring the Head to be made harder to withstand the forces trying to expand the primer pocket during cartridge discharge.

John M. Browning's development work on both the .25ACP and .32ACP gave us the Semi-Rimmed designs we have now.
It seems he found a 'Sweet spot' that allows good strength without extreme hardness and its ensuing brittle failure modes.

.38 auto, and larger Auto cartridges, has enough added "Meat" around the Primer pocket so that a Rimless design is comfortably used without primer pocket stretching under chamber Pressure.

The .25 Auto cartridge rim can be rediuced in diameter without deepening the Extractor clearance cut but extraction problems will increase, reducing functionality and usefulness in a 'Self Defense' situation.

The current Extractor Clearance Cut diameter is roughly the same as the SAAMI nominal Groove diameter of the Cartridge and the Cartridge uses small Primers of .175" diameter. This means the Result is .250 -.175= .075"/2 = .0375" wall around the Primer pocket in the case.
Would you like a Thinner wall?

Chev. William

35remington
12-16-2018, 01:47 PM
The Ruger bolt is not terribly heavy, and it is primarily bolt weight that limits the ceiling of the power that can be applied. I would pass on a 32 ACP even if I could get it to fit or work and I would limit the 50 grain 25 ACP to about 1000 fps from a 5.5 inch barrel to not also greatly exceed the momentum imparted to the bolt by a 22 Long rifle

High velocity 22s reach around the 1100 fps range in 40 grain weight from a 5.5 Ruger. This scores a 44 for the long rifle and a 50 for the 25 ACP when so prescribed in terms of shorthand momentum. A 32 ACP at achievable velocities would be vastly beyond that, on the order of 71 to 80 or higher.

A 98 grain 32 Long wadcutter at target speed scores a 74 which is why the experimental gun mentioned above got a heavier bolt. If bolt weight is not greatly increased a 32 ACP is not a sound conversion. Even then the increased force transferred to the stop pin and associated areas upon impact of a heavier higher momentum bolt must be considered rather than early bolt movement causing “too soon” bolt motion alone.

I would be rather doubtful about nearly doubling impact momentum on a design originally intended for 22 Long rifle alone. A beefed up bolt does not mitigate high momentum and associated impact, but rather only bolt velocity.

Chev. William
12-16-2018, 02:47 PM
RE: Bolt Mass for .32 Auto Conversion ideas (NOT Mine!):
I suspect the referenced Conversion was made using steel for the added Mass.
Current aerospace techniques might allow use of a Pure Tungsten Slug for the added Mass.

Considerations of the Bolt 'Stop' at rearward end of Travel is important as well as the 'recoil spring' force per inch of compression And its closed, solid, coil length versus the space allocate for it in the action.

From my cursory inspection of the Bolt assembly, it appears to have its rearward travel limited by the remaining metal at the bottom of the firing pin slot rearward end and would compress the firing pin to its most forward travel limit via the vertical pin holding the Receiver in the Grip frame channel. The pin is supported by the Receiver 'tube; walls, at its top and bottom penetrations of the receiver. If the ID is about 3/4" and the OD is about 1" the walls are about 1/8" each. It seems the Contact point for the Bolt to pin is at the lower Receiver Wall end but displaced upward away from the receiver wall due to bolt bottom machined contour for the Hammer Cocking edge and cartridge feed ledge.

I surmise that the Pin is loaded in 'bending' due to this displaced contact position instead of loading in 'shear'. As such the pin's 'spring characteristics' need to be addressed also.

I note also that the forward face of this vertical locking pin is machined flat to spread the Striking energy over a larger surface area.

For my conversion to .25ACP use:
Bolt face force difference between .22LR and .25ACP are about 13.2% larger, and may be within the limits of compensation via recoil spring strength; without resorting to adding mass to the bolt.

So far only the single test discharge by John Taylor has been fired using a .25ACP cartridge of unknown manufacture or MAP Pmax as John did not mention the Cartridge's providence.

My own future testing will be using a lot of Fiocchi 25ACP that they State is loaded to 800fps from a 2" long barrel under CIP Legal Standards. I guess My 8" long barrel will increase that MV by at least 100fps, if not 150fps., to the 900 to 1050fps range.

Chronograph testing will need to wait until I can get a day at an outdoor range to set up and do the testing.

My Personal Standard Comparison 'standard' is a lot of Privi Partisan .25ACP that they listed as having 775fps out of a 6" test Barrel.

Out of a Revolver with a 10-5/8" barrel this lot chronographed at about 2.1% low, possibly due to the 'venting' at the Cylinder to Barrel Gap.

Chev. William

35remington
12-16-2018, 04:07 PM
No quarrel with the 25 ACP idea. Sounds like great fun. I would be delighted with such a pistol if it worked reliably.

Heavier bolt or not, a 32 ACP and the forces it transmits rearward give me reason to think a conversion to that caliber is much less sound as a practical application. I want a gun I spend a lot of money on to last for a lot of shooting. Finding room for an adequate spring would also be needlessly daunting, I would think.

I doubt a conversion to 32 ACP would meet the criteria for a long lasting gun.

Mr_Sheesh
12-16-2018, 06:41 PM
380 Auto's been made in blowback pistols as well, just a thought.

Chev. William - I'm wondering how much such a conversion'd cost to make, past the cost of the Ruger Mk II, any idea?

Chev. William
12-16-2018, 09:50 PM
380 Auto's been made in blowback pistols as well, just a thought.

Chev. William - I'm wondering how much such a conversion'd cost to make, past the cost of the Ruger Mk II, any idea?

As to the Costs:
Near the End of July/beginning of August I purchased A used Ruger Standard Auto MKII Pistol for about $300, including Transfer fees And Taxes.

I had a Remanent LW .25ACP barrel blank (about $100 value) left over from machining my 10-5/8" revolver barrel.

John Taylor estimated about $150 to Machine and fit the Barrel.
He also did the Bolt conversion including machining a new Firing Pin, Blue finishing the Parts and some other work for about $432 total;
so I guess the Bolt, firing pin, and finishing was the added $282.

I will need To make magazines for .25ACP to fit the Ruger Grip Frame Magazine Well; probably 'cut and Weld' two Beretta '950' .25ACP together to make one long enough; Estimate about $50 in parts and Welding.
My "Putter time' is not included in these estimates.

Chev. William

35remington
12-16-2018, 11:34 PM
Blowback 380 slides are much heavier than Ruger rimfire pistol bolts, and the pistols absorb slide frame impact differently. They also have room for much heavier and bigger springs. Food for thought.

Chev. William
12-17-2018, 12:40 AM
Finally, Photos:
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/1132a89e-68c0-4733-b5f3-1cc6f8507482_zpsfax2euw1.jpg
The Modified Bolt Face. Note the enlarged Rim rebate to fit the .25ACP rim and the Centered round firing pin tip.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/dea93ba0-c689-49c1-94b9-47faab8563de_zpsjmpo81nu.jpg
The top view of the Bolt with recoil assembly removed to show the new firing pin in its channel.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/689ba1d1-360a-40e6-b683-ccdf682b8b0a_zpsysgn9g92.jpg
Left side of Modified MKII pistol with its new ~8" Barrel.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/chevwilliam/Ruger%2025ACP%20Standard%20Auto%20MKII%208%20inch% 20Barrel/0d25132f-0c8d-444d-92ee-414db2a33622_zpsn4jgp6ay.jpg
Right side of Modified MKII pistol wiht its ~8" long Barrel.

These Photos were taken by my Friend with a Camera that has a "Macro" Photo Capability.

Chev. William

Mr_Sheesh
12-17-2018, 04:51 AM
Chev. William - OK - Thanks, was just wondering on cost. Not free but should be lots of FUN! :)

Chev. William
12-17-2018, 01:25 PM
No quarrel with the 25 ACP idea. Sounds like great fun. I would be delighted with such a pistol if it worked reliably.

Heavier bolt or not, a 32 ACP and the forces it transmits rearward give me reason to think a conversion to that caliber is much less sound as a practical application. I want a gun I spend a lot of money on to last for a lot of shooting. Finding room for an adequate spring would also be needlessly daunting, I would think.

I doubt a conversion to 32 ACP would meet the criteria for a long lasting gun.

The Earlier Link to a .32 Converted Ruger Auto mentioned that it was an estate find from a Competition shooter who had it made for Olympic Competitions.
As I understand the Current Rules of that competition, it requires three pistols:
1. a .22 RF handgun;
2. any Centerfire Handgun of .32 Caliber or larger; and
3. a Handgun of .38 cal or larger.

Prior to 1936 the Rules for the number two handgun did NOT state '.32 caliber or larger'; so in 1935 Col. Askins competed with a Custom .22 Centerfire Automatic and WON the championship that year. The Cartridge he used was the "221 Askins" that he made from "5.5 Velodog" cases and fired in a custom modified Colt Woodsman pistol.

Chev. William

35remington
12-17-2018, 03:30 PM
Yep. Got all that. Still think a 32 ACP is beyond what is prudent.

Here’s hoping your 25 functions and shoots as you desire for a long time. It may qualify as the world’s most accurate 25 ACP pistol if done right.

Chev. William
12-25-2018, 03:14 PM
This Morning, on the Celebrated Anniversary Day of the Birth of Jesus of Nazareth in Bethlehem, I wish all my Family, My Friends, and My Acquaintances a Very Happy and Merry Christmas.

A solid Tungsten mass added to the Hard Alloy Steel of the Ruger Bolt, plus a Stronger recoil spring is a reasonable way to "Tune" a Pure Blow-back Action, like the Ruger Standard Auto Pistol's, to handle the greater breech face thrust of the .32 Cartridge employed.

Physical space within the Ruger grip frame does limit the extreme length and diameter of the cartridge that can be fitted in an enclosing removable magazine so, say a .327 Fed. Mag. will not fit; yet a slightly smaller one, such as a .32 Colt Long might be made to fit especially if it is loaded with 'wad-cutter' bullets flush with the case mouth. Similarly, a .32 Colt Short loaded with round nosed bullets might be made to fit and be loaded 'hot' to obtain similar to the ballistics of the .32 Long in a Target pistol length barrel.

It seems at least ONE Olympics Class Competitor did do that successfully.

These are Just my personal Opinions; so your may vary.
Chuckling,
Chev. William

35remington
12-25-2018, 07:21 PM
Well.....the Olympic guys have weighed in heavily with Euro pistols in 32 Long that, despite their expense, are probably cheaper than a modded Ruger. It is not what can be done, but rather what is reasonable to do...and what the winners are doing.

I suspect the guys who are making the Walthers and Hammerlis and similar dedicated target pistols used by such shooters are having the last laugh. Factory support and spare parts are helpful.

Chev. William
12-26-2018, 12:54 AM
California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms has a listing (currently four pages long) Titled "Roster of Exempted Olympic Competition Pistols" that lists them by Maker, Model, and Caliber. The Listing contains pistols in .22Short, .22LR, .32 S&W Long, and .38 Special. I note that the .22LR is the most prevalent caliber listing. The last revision was in 2013!
Chev. William

lar45
12-27-2018, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the pics. That's a sweet looking pistol.
I have a Ruger mkII SS Target model and really enjoy how it fits my hand. It's very easy to hold and shoot accurately. I've often thought that Ruger should make a tip up single shot pistol based around the MKII grip frame. I'd bet they'd sell a gazillion of them.

Chev. William
12-27-2018, 12:33 AM
Planning a "Range Day" Tomorrow, December 27th, with my Special Effects Friend.
Taking a .32 S&W 5 shot top break, a .32 Single Six Revolver, a Colt D.A. 38 revolver,
My Ruger Target .22 Auto, my Ruger .25ACP auto Eject Pistol, a Stevens .22LR Marksman, and a Stevens .22LR !894 Favorite.
Ammunition ranges from .22LR through .25ACP, .32ACP, .32 S& W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R MAG., to .38 Long for my firearms.
My friend is considering what he will bring along.

I think we will have an interesting time at the Angeles Ranges (commercial operation).
I will not be taking the Chronograph this trip as we are going for 'Fun And Relaxation', not technical work.

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-28-2018, 01:17 AM
Today, December 27th of 2018, My special effects Coordinator Friend and I took several firearms to the Commercial Angeles Ranges to have some "fun And Relaxation" testing function and general shooting at targets.

It seems A Whole Lot of Others also had that Idea!

Most Positions on the 100 yard and shorter Line were Occupied but we found spots near the Right end of the Pistol Benches next to the first Rifle Bench for the 100 yard range area.

Results?
1. My I.J. 32S&W Top Break five shot works 'fair' if i remember to rotate the Cylinder clockwise a couple of turns before closing the action, to bring the Cylinder to the Forward most position it can hold.
It accepted .32 S&W cartridges and fired them with reasonable accuracy to 50 yards.
2. My Ruger .32 H&R Mag Single Six fires .32 Auto, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R well at 50 yards. I did notice that the shorter cartridges seem to 'spread further' than the longest one.
3. My Colt D.,A. 38 works fair at 50 yards and good at 7 yards.
4. My Ruger ~6" bull Barrel Standard Auto pistol works well at 50 yards shooting 'Western 'Super X' standard velocity .22LR"; my wrist needs to be stronger.
5. My New .25ACP Ruger Standard Auto Conversion worked well as a Single Shot today. At 7 yards it started out High and left of Center of aim; three Clicks on windage brought into horizontal POA but I discovered it had a 'Allen" socket screw for the Elevation adjustment and I did not have a a suitable tool with me.
at 50 yards it was still high but 'patterned' well.
6. A Stevens Marksman .22LR shot nice tight group at 50 yards but took two strikes of the Hammer to fire each cartridge.
7. A Stevens 1894 Favorite fired on the first hammer blow but the cases expanded in the Chamber to make extraction difficult.
8. My friend fired his .380 auto Pistol and it put al shots into a 3" circle at 7 yards. He commented it was 'good enough for Self defense' in his opinion.

After the range session we stopped for a Lunch; then I took my misbehaving firearms to my gunsmith for his suggestions.
A. The "Allen "Socket head elevation screw was replaced with one that had a Slot in it.
B. The Marksman will get further work on it later to correct the 'Light Strikes'.
C. The Favorite has a worn and enlarged chamber. Unfired cartridge measures .226" diameter. Fired Case measured .230" diameter with some 'ripples' and one area that was .228" diameter. It looks like either Sleeve the Chamber or reline the Barrel.
Something to consider later.
D. I guess I will have to "Just Live with it" for the I.J. Top break .32S&W.

2-1/2 hours at the range; a Good time was had; all in all a good day indeed.

Chev. William

Chev. William
12-31-2018, 01:06 PM
It is Morning December 31st and I am contemplating the evening and then morning of January 1st when I will watch the Pasadena Rose Parade on TV, sort of a Family Tradition started when my family moved into our new house in 1955. The first Christmas, 1955 we had a 6 foot Live Christmas tree that we Planted in the Back Yard afterwards. It is still there and growing, and now has a 'volunteer" youngster on the opposite side of the Yard.
The Southern California drought with accompanying Water Use Restrictions and penalty fees have made keeping my yards green nearly impossible but I still make sure the Trees get enough to live strong.

May All viewers Have A Wonderful and Enjoyable New Year and a Happy New Year's Eve celebration. If you are of a mind to share watching TV like I will be in the Morning here; Enjoy it in a cozy and warm home with your family also.

Best Regards for The New Year,
Chev. William

Chev. William
01-08-2019, 12:36 PM
This last Weekend, December 5-6, 2019, I was able to use my Friends Special Effects shop machine tools for both afternoons/early evenings.
The time was used to fough out a Form Tool to remake a Beretta "950" .25ACP magazine body into a top portion of a Magazine to fit my .25ACP Ruger Pistol conversion.
Saturday was Spent reducing the Width and thickness fo the A2 Alloy Tool Steel blank so it would fit the interior of the Beretta Magazine closely, then trimming one end to the approzimate feed angle of the Ruger Pistol, marking the feed lip forming area needed, notching the tool and then employing a bench mounted narrow abrasive belt 'sander' to carve the feed lip inside radius onto the forming area.

Sunday was spent trimming one Beretta magazine body to the same 'feed angle, marking and cutting the end for feed lips, and then after clamping the body onto the Form Tool, hammering the Lips onto the body.
A rough cut was made to remove the flange at the bottom of the Magazine body, then it was 'dressed,' to remove burrs, and tried in my pistol grip frame/receiver for fit.
It Did slide fully into the Grip frame and up near the point where The bolt would strip a cartridge eventually; but i still had to notch the back edge to clear the bolt bottom rib that strips off The cartridge to be chambered.

The last operation of Sunday evening was to use a 'Dremel" fine abrasive cutoff wheel to cut the Notch.
By this time I was Shivering in the Unheated and open Shop so I cleaned up, packed up , and left for home.

This last weekend was Rainy wet and Shivering cold outside, with about half an inch of Rainfall Saturday and more Sunday. Enough to trigger some Flash Flood watches and mud slides in burned off Areas nearby.

Chev. William

Chev. William
01-11-2019, 01:20 PM
It is Friday and I have a VA Appointment today, plus there is more Rain forecast for this weekend and next week. so Far this January I have received about an Acre-Inch of rain here which is keeping my Yards Green for a time.

Have done some "Armchair puttering" during cold evenings this week and, if Weekend Availability allows, will try to do some more work on my Magazine Form Tool to improve its functional capability.

Chev. William

Chev. William
01-16-2019, 12:06 AM
Wetter Weekend, No work done on my Projects.

Did get my Kitchen Sink unclogged and draining properly againC though.

Chev. William

Chev. William
01-24-2019, 12:34 AM
My Computer and Internet Connection was 'down' for the last Three days. It is finally back in useful operation today.

Now I need to 'scrub' the Last Three Days of Emails!

Chev. William

Chev. William
01-31-2019, 02:34 PM
Thursday here is dark. cold, wet with Lightning, Rolling Thunder, and Rain.
Ruins my chance this week to go to the outdoor Commercial Range and do further Testing on my Ruger .25ACP Custom Standard Auto Pistol for Senior 'reduced fee' time.

At Least GOD chose to bless me by Watering my Yards, Shrubs, and Trees for me today, saving me the "Drought Penalty Fees" for keeping my Trees and Shrubs alive.

Best regards,
Chev. William

9.3X62AL
01-31-2019, 02:58 PM
Your venue sounds a bit like Angeles Shooting Ranges. I drive out that way 2-3 times a year to shoot with a guy that lives in Simi Valley--he and I went through school together, from 7th grade forward. Nice range site, they keep it up very well. And all of those iron targets on the pistol side--too much fun.

We have the hatches all battened down out here in Redlands as well. The forecast says 1/2" today, 1-1/2" on Saturday, almost 3" total through Monday. Stay dry, sir!

Chev. William
01-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Your venue sounds a bit like Angeles Shooting Ranges. I drive out that way 2-3 times a year to shoot with a guy that lives in Simi Valley--he and I went through school together, from 7th grade forward. Nice range site, they keep it up very well. And all of those iron targets on the pistol side--too much fun.

We have the hatches all battened down out here in Redlands as well. The forecast says 1/2" today, 1-1/2" on Saturday, almost 3" total through Monday. Stay dry, sir!

You are correct, My Local Commercial Outdoor shooting range is at "Angeles Shooting Ranges" near the Southern border of Angeles National Forest in Little Tungah (sp?) Canyon.

They are mostly recovered from the devastating fires of Last year, working out of a temporary Office until they get the Range Office building rebuilt/constructed.

There are a set of 'Portable Toilets' set up in the Interim for user 'convenience'.

Luckily the majority of the CCC planted Eucalyptus grove survived and is still thriving. A few trees were burned/scorched but now have been cut down, and into 'logs', for removal.

The Oaks along the road still are there but one had its old growth, which had rotted from the inside, burned away, leaving the newer healthy growth in place.

The shade shelter roofs over the main firing lines are back in place along with the wood benches for the .22, and pistol areas.

Interesting that the Concrete Block Range office burned and had to be razed; but the Wood reloading store survived without even getting its paint scorched.

Chev. William

6string
01-31-2019, 09:54 PM
That Ruger MKI conversion to 32 S&W WC sited in an earlier post was built by Atkinson & Marquart, a gunsmithing partnership formerly in AZ.
Their 32 conversions come up occasionally. Here's an old one:
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/8064237

They are very heavy and have a weird balance due to the heavy weight on the end of the bolt.

Jim

Chev. William
01-31-2019, 10:21 PM
That Ruger MKI conversion to 32 S&W WC sited in an earlier post was built by Atkinson & Marquart, a gunsmithing partnership formerly in AZ.
Their 32 conversions come up occasionally. Here's an old one:
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/8064237

They are very heavy and have a weird balance due to the heavy weight on the end of the bolt.

Jim

I understand the Problem with the added Mass (weight) for the Bolt plus the Weight of the full Magazine and Barrel making the completed Conversion less comfortable to hold/point.

Chev. William

Patrick L
02-06-2019, 04:06 PM
I must say, this has been a fascinating thread to follow. I love projects like this.

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2019, 08:09 PM
It is interesting. How's the magazine work progressing ?

Chev. William
02-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Currently it is not. I must pay bills and taxes BEFORE food and Discretionary projects. The State of California has raised Fuel taxes and Vehicle registration fees to cover General Fund 'shortfalls' caused by the "Sanctuary State Influx".
My retirement payments do NOT increase to keep even.

Chev. William

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2019, 09:02 PM
I can highly recommend leaving California

Chev. William
02-11-2019, 09:40 AM
For those with sufficient Funding and life energy it is a plan.
As a retired Disabled Veteran of 76 years age, and part owner of the home I live in, it is not a workable option.

It seems to me many of the "Progressives" who voted in the current State, County, and City Politicians are the ones moving to other states to spread their 'misguided' Socialist Ideas.

Chev. William

lead-1
02-13-2019, 12:34 AM
I don't know why but these .25 auto projects interest me. I've previously looked at some neat conversions of single shot and bolt action rifles in .25 auto. Your pistol conversion looks very nice.

Chev. William
02-13-2019, 03:32 PM
I don't know why; but these .25 auto projects interest me. I've previously looked at some neat conversions of single shot and bolt action rifles in .25 auto. Your pistol conversion looks very nice.

Thank you for your Kind Comments.
the Ruger Auto Pistol is indeed 'Looking Good'
My Previous conversion of a Ruger 'Single Six' to a ".25ACP+ Single Eight" is also very shootable now.
And my Modified .32 H&R Ruger Single Six to fire both .32 LC and .32H&R, along with .32ACP is 'doing nicely' also.
Unfortunately, my gunsmith is too loaded with work to get to my Rifle projects yet.
Chev. William

Chev. William
02-15-2019, 02:05 AM
Rainy here and Cold with a breeze but I did Go to My Local Outdoor Commercial range and fired about 150 Factory cartridges through my Ruger Standard Auto MKII in .25ACP.
No Joy in adjusting the Sights as the Breeze kept changing and I was shivering in my coat.
However, The Pistol did demonstrate good Accuracy in spite of me.
'Pattering' slightly low and to the Left of Bullseye Center Spot. (wind ws from the right, in gusts).

About 4 hours of shooting single shot mode was all I could take this time as I was shivering as I loaded up to go home. Being a Southern California resident, I am NOT used to 'Cold Wet Windy' Conditions nowadays.

Also over my time at the range there were a few 'Loud Boomer' Rifle shooters nearby ringing my ears in spite of earplugs.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-07-2019, 02:03 PM
The weather Here has continued wet and cold and windy interspersed with partial sunshine and slightly warmer days.
February turned out wetter than average here, like January had before it.
Perhaps we will have another "Nondrought" year?
The Hillsides are Showing Green again after the wildfires of two years ago, and somewhat also after last years wildfires.
The drive through Little Tungah (sp?) Canyon, Upper Pacoima Canyon, Sand Canyon, and to Soledad Canyon is now open again and is a nice Scenic drive again with seasonal waterfalls in several places visible from the Road.
The Beauty of the Hills is refreshing to see after the destruction of the Wildfires that turned them Grey and Black and Bare. Even the Wildlife is returning to the area as i saw some in the trip over this road.

Chev. William

fixit
03-07-2019, 10:20 PM
This project with the Ruger 22 pistol remind me of a project I would like to try, but don't have the equipment to do, which would be a single shot cross bolt action to fit on top of the Ruger Mark pistol frame. Done correctly, with the right materials, it would be easy to come up with some interesting cartridge combinations for the pistol, and the cross bolt action can be done in a nice straight pull, t-bolt design. Heck, you could probably make it a repeater!

Chev. William
03-08-2019, 01:22 AM
This project with the Ruger 22 pistol remind me of a project I would like to try, but don't have the equipment to do, which would be a single shot cross bolt action to fit on top of the Ruger Mark pistol frame. Done correctly, with the right materials, it would be easy to come up with some interesting cartridge combinations for the pistol, and the cross bolt action can be done in a nice straight pull, t-bolt design. Heck, you could probably make it a repeater!

A custom Idea made to fit a Ruger Std Auto Grip Frame is an intriguing idea.

I guess the Starting point is to purchase a Used Ruger Grip frame and measure the Frame to receiver attachments and their relationship to each other.
From my own project, I know the receiver is a Tube of .750" inside diameter; so that is a starting point for your Design.
Perhaps you could start with a solid bar and machine your design out of it to provide for your own bolt design.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-15-2019, 03:21 PM
My .25ACP converted Ruger Standard Auto MKII Pistol throws its empties into some 'neither Region' that I have been unable to locate at my local Commercial Outdoor Range; whcih means my brass is being lost 100% so far.
Today I ordered a Lot of .25ACP once fired Brass from Diamond K and at roughly $14/100 it is about the Same price as the least expensive New brass cases I can find advertised.
I am looking forward to see what quality this lot is.

Chev. William

Chev. William
04-06-2019, 10:16 PM
The lot arrived and I found it to be as Advertised; Once fired Range Brass sorted but not decapped nor cleaned.
An overnight run in my Vibratory Tumbler and Crushed Walnut hulls media cleaned the range dirt off nicely.
They are now stored in a 50 Cal Surplus ammo can until I get around to decapping them, when they will be sorted by head stamp and put in plastic cartridge boxes to await hand loading.

Chev. William

Chev. William
06-02-2019, 12:39 AM
Update:
First lot of 500 cases from 'Diamond K' has been processed and is storedawaiting comfortable weather to reload them.
A Second order of 'Diamond K' for 'all they had left' lot of ~475 cases have also been processed And are awaiting reloading.
Overall most were R-P, over 500, then PPU, WIN, Augula, W-W, GFL and a few others in decreasing numbers to make the total cases processed.

My .221 Atkins forming project is on temporary hold for thetime being. I am Hoping one of the other .22LR barrels I hav ewil prove out as usable when my gunsmith returns to the shop.

I took some time and upgraded a 2.5" to the foot scale Narrow Gauge Model Uintah Raliway flat car to take to the Los Angeles Live Steamers Railroad Museum Spring Meet last Memorial Day weekend. I needed to raise the Coupler heights, add 'safety chains' and a air brake train pipe to the model to bring it to LALSRM "Level 1" specifications for operation on their railroad. Their 7.5" gauge track is over 6000 feet of main line with additional alternate routes, sidings, and spurs raising that total greatly. Model scales so far used on their Track range from 1.5 inch to the foot up to 6 inches to the foot (a visiting model of a 15" gauge WW1 French Ten HP French Gas Mechanical locomotive that the Owners' two five year old children could ride inside and operate under Supervision).

LALSRM also has ground level track in 3.5" and 4.75" gauges available for operations and elevated Gauge 1 for use of those with live Steam models in that gauge. There is also a "G" gauge ground level 'Garden Layout for Electric Model running, similar to the '1 gauge; but reserved for electrics so as not to get steam oil on their rails.

I did enjoy a very good Memorial Day Weekend.
It took me the following week to 'recover'!

Chuckling,
Chev. William

Chev. William
06-27-2019, 08:25 PM
I may have saved up enough 'Disposable Funds' to pay for the EDM cutting of my donor magazine bodies now. This depends on how my July Bills turn out.

Being 'retired' and not getting any 'Work Calls' from my Union dispatcher sure cuts into my 'Disposable Funds'! First come Taxes And Utilities, then Insurance and Vehicle Registration, then Food and Pet Care, and finally Clothing and the remainder is my 'Disposable Funds' for the Month. Since my Retirements are Basically Fixed monthly payments; yet my Taxes and Utilities keep rising, this is a loosing proposition no matter what else happens.

Luckily, the June 6th LAUSD Special Added Tax proposition Failed to pass (57% NO to 43% Yes) so that bullet was dodged for now.

Chev. William

Chev. William
07-02-2019, 01:10 PM
I dropped off my eight donor magazine bodies at the Wire EDM shop on Monday, July 1st, to be cut so I can later have them welded into four long bodies then rework the feed lips to Ruger Standard Auto angle to fee .25ACP cartridges in my Center Fire converted Ruger Standard Auto MKII pistol with its custom 8-1/8" long .25ACP barrel.

The Pistol shoots 'just fine' as a "Single Shot Auto Eject" handgun and I am looking forward to being able to actually use it as originally intended with magazine feed.

The one 'drawback' so far is I have not found any of my fired cases at the Commercial Outdoor range I use; which means 100% LOSS of brass cases so far!

Chev. William

AnthonyB
07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
I have enjoyed this thread for years.

AnthonyB
07-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Just looked again and saw it wans't years. Maybe it just semed like it waiting for the next update!

Chev. William
07-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Happy July 4th Holiday Everyone!!!!
On July 3rd, I picked up the cut donor magazine bodies from the Wire EDM Shop with a pleasant surprise:" the Charge was only $200, instead of the estimated $300! ('Astro Cut' in Van Nuys, CA did the cutting.)
Considering that he had to set up each body individually, feed the Wire through the selected hole in the Body, 'tweak' the alignment to cut square to the body and on the hole diameter line; this sounds like a fair price.

Obviously the Next step is to get the body parts welded into four long body blanks to then remake the feed lips to Ruger feed Angles.

Perhaps sometime this month as the month is still 'new' yet.
It will depend on what the estimate is for the welding work when I present it to 'Flite Weld'; a local Aerospace Certified Welding shop near me.
I have used them (Flite Weld) in the past to weld up some extended bodies for use in a .30 M1 Carbine conversion to .45 Win. Mag. with a Rifle length barrel that is still a 'work in progress' in the hands of my gunsmith. The lengthened bodies were assembled as single stack ten shot .45 Win. Mag. magazines using aftermarket Wolfe Magazine springs and home made Followers.

Chev. William

Chev. William
08-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Flite Weld declined the Work due to a full schedule with large Backlog.
They did suggest another Welding shop who did accept the Work.
However, that shop is also backlogged with work so it will be some time before they get to my small, 'fiddly' job.

Chev. William

Chev. William
08-07-2019, 12:43 PM
I received a call from the Welding shop that he had problems putting my bodies together and asked me to stop by and talk to him.

I stopped by the next morning and he told me he only got one partially welded and it 'stuck' on my Copper Bar Jig.

He also said he had a Big order in that he could not set aside; so he would not be able to do any more on my magazine bodies at thais time.

I now have the materials in my hands again with one body partially welded (front and back edges but not sides) and in need of dressing the weld beads down flush with the Body.

He did hold out hope that he might be able to try again later in the year.

Chev. William

Chev. William
03-26-2020, 10:37 AM
Long delay in posting due to 'sick time', I developed a nasty infection in my upper right leg that turned out to be "MRSA" and required emergency hospitalization and surgery to drain the infection site. I was 'treated' to multiple IV of Powerful antibiotics that had the side effect of causing "loose bowels".
Total time under Medical care was about a Month and a half.
Now back home and able to access my computer and 'putter' on my hobbies but the current Covis-19 Virus Brouhaha has me mostly stuck at home without access to vendors of needed services to advance my projects.
The current 'hangup' is making a new base for my magazine Sub-project in order to fit the welded body to the Ruger grip handle, then a new follower for the reformed magazine body and feed lips..
Chev. William

Chev. William
04-05-2020, 11:46 PM
ARGGG! Volquartsen is selling Ruger SAP MKIV 'uppers' at clearance prices and I am, as a California Citizen, NOT Allowed to Buy any!
It seems Volquartsen buys Ruger Standard Auto MKIV Pistols for their Grip handles and the Receiver/Barrel is surplus to their needs.

A Stripped receiver with 6.5" barrel and NO Sights or other parts is listed at $25.00 each!

What a frustrating situation for me.

Chev. William

Chev. William
04-26-2020, 02:06 PM
Some good things in this time of Covid-19 virus panics and lockdowns:
My Local Gun Shop (in Glendale, CA) has had .25ACP ammo in stock the last two times I was in, so I bought 200 rounds each trip.
They also had a bit of other ammo i have been looking for available such as Lead bullet 44-40 and even a box of .32 Colt!

Then the last time I was in there I began the purchase of an old Iver Johnson top break hammerless ,32S&W five shot with a 3 inch barrel, and mostly gone nickel plating finish, with price DROS, Transfer fees. sales tax, and Credit Card Surcharge for $157.05 so in about ten days I will take possession of it.

Now I will be looking for .32 S&W ammo to fed it.

Chev. William

Chev. William
04-15-2021, 09:15 PM
Sadly, no progress on the Magazine build as the person offering
to 'whittle' my base pattern is not currently available
for my project.

kware1
05-08-2022, 10:12 PM
My Son-in-Law just bought one of the Atkinson & Marquart Ruger MK1 conversion guns in .32 S&W long Wadcutter.
It has only one magazine and it is very rough & crude. We tried to shoot it yesterday, but it does not feed from the mag at all. The gun does fire and is accurate. All research we have found is old and a dead end. May have to look at 3D printing the mag parts to start with. Looking for any info that may help to learn what magazine was used as a starting point.
Thanks

Outpost75
05-08-2022, 10:27 PM
Chev William, I have been following your adventures on this project with facination. I am another of John Taylor's loyal repeat customers, but mostly in the Bunny Gun and .32 ACP projects. When I was at Ruger I attempted a .32 ACP conversion of a Mk2 pistol with mixed results and have since confined those efforts to putting a longer barrel on the Beretta 70, which is easy to do.