PDA

View Full Version : BPCR Safety Cartridge Seater

Dale53
10-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Some years ago, I bought a "BPCR Safety Cartridge Seater" from a fellow poster on the old Shooters Forum. I believe the individual that made and sold them was called "LongRider". I tried Googling with out success (the link is no longer up and running).

Does anyone here have any idea where I might reach the developer or buy a tool? I have a friend who would like to purchase one.

Dale53

wills
10-03-2008, 12:08 AM
If no one here knows take a look at Alterfurz site, someone there should know http://groups.msn.com/BPCR

Or one of these posts from his site may help

http://groups.msn.com/bpcr/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=200
80&LastModified=4675626649806897039&all_topics=1

http://groups.msn.com/bpcr/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=461
7&LastModified=4675436155512087208&all_topics=1

http://groups.msn.com/bpcr/general.msnw?action=get_message&ID_Message=20080&Sho
wDelete=0&ID_CLast=20122&CDir=-1&all_topics=1

John Boy
10-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Dale - here is Scott's email address ... longridr@mtintouch.net
I have his seater for the '74 Sharps and it works nicely

Dale53
10-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Thank you, all!

Dale53

Just Duke
10-09-2008, 04:36 AM
This it?

http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html

http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/mediac/400_0/media/cartridge$20seaters$20005.jpg

http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/mediac/400_0/media/cartridge$20seaters$20004.jpg

CARTRIDGE SEATERS. If you shoot a Sharps or Winchester rifle you have probably had a cartridge that wouldn't seat far enough to close the block. This tool will solve that problem. Just insert it into the action against the rim and pull. The cartridge will be forced into the chamber allowing you to close the block. It's grooved for primer clearance so no pressure is exerted against the primer when seating the cartridge. A modified version is also available for rifles equipped with scopes. Please specify if you are a right or left handed scope shooter. Sharps seater $39.95 + shipping Winchester seater $39.95 + shipping. No additional charge for scope version.

R. Dupraz
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
If you need a seater to jam the cartridge into the chamber, there's something else that needs to be addressed. I regularly shoot the black powder cartidge rifle and have for a number of years and don't see a need for one if the rounds are loaded right and the bore is cared for as it needs to be when using black.

Regards
RD

Harry Eales
10-21-2008, 11:00 AM
The original Sharps Rifle Co stated repeatedly in their catalogues, that cartridges should chamber freely with just thumb pressure. It also advised against using any tool to pry the cartrige into the chamber.

It's still damn good advice even after 126 years.

Harry

dromia
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Bleedin' Nora, thats a bigger hammer approach if ever I saw one! :shock:

Personally if it won't chamber with finger pressure then I'm not going to force it, seems it raises more questions than that tool is the answer to.

But then what would I know. :roll:

Dale53
10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I shot BPCR for fifteen years competitively. Normally, you don't need a safety seater. However, on occasion, I would be running low on ammo an THEN is when I found a cartridge or two that the bullet has "backed out" and refuses to seat with finger pressure. It's nice that you folks never have a problem...

Some actions have camming action and they don't have a problem (as a for instance - the Stevens 44½z). However, the high walls and Sharps '75 have no camming action and just occasionally you can have a problem. That's when it is nice to have a safety seater.

Dale53

R. Dupraz
10-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Dale:

Why did the bullets back out of your loaded rounds?

RD

Dale53
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I seated my bullets into the lands. I also compressed my powder up to .350" with a compression die. It is possible that air pressure in the case moved the bullet out a bit. It didn't happen often, but like I mention, the safety bullet device is pretty handy when you need it.

Understand, this isn't something you'll need often but when you seat the bullet into the lands, the margin for error is close.

Dale53

SharpsShooter
10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
I shot BPCR for fifteen years competitively. Normally, you don't need a safety seater. However, on occasion, I would be running low on ammo an THEN is when I found a cartridge or two that the bullet has "backed out" and refuses to seat with finger pressure. It's nice that you folks never have a problem...

Some actions have camming action and they don't have a problem (as a for instance - the Stevens 44½z). However, the high walls and Sharps '75 have no camming action and just occasionally you can have a problem. That's when it is nice to have a safety seater.

Dale53

Amen on the 75 Sharps needing one occasionally. I made one out of a large dowel rod with a "t" handle on the end to use when the thumb just would not push that last bit for block clearance. Please note that I did bore a 1/4" hole in the center of the dowel to prevent contact with the primer.

Dale:

Why did the bullets back out of your loaded rounds?

RD

They do grow now and then having aspirations to be 45-90's or 110's. I figured a combination of trapped air and powder trying to de-compress a bit was the cause of my problem

I seated my bullets into the lands. I also compressed my powder up to .350" with a compression die. It is possible that air pressure in the case moved the bullet out a bit. It didn't happen often, but like I mention, the safety bullet device is pretty handy when you need it.

Understand, this isn't something you'll need often but when you seat the bullet into the lands, the margin for error is close.

Dale53

It one of those tools that it is better to have and not need than need and not have.

SS

montana_charlie
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
When I loaded my first batch of 45/90 ammunition, I noticed how air would be trapped under the wad during powder compression. I am convinced it was the air that remained among the 'settled' powder granules, and it got squeezed to the top of the charge, and trapped under the wad, during the compression step.

After charging and compressing twenty loads, I took a break to consider the remaining reloading steps (remember, this was my first session). After lubing twenty bullets, I scanned the charged cases, and noticed a few of the wads were up near the case mouth. Assuming I had (somehow) missed the compression step on those, I ran them through the die again. It took no strength to put them back down...which puzzled me...but I didn't stop to consider the possibilities.

The cases necks were expanded to .460" to simulate fireformed brass, and I thumb-seated the bullets. When I went to fire those rounds, I noticed a couple had grown longer overnight.
With my thumb on the case head and a finger on the bullet nose, I gave a squeeze and the bullet thunked back down on the charge...producing a little 'pfft' lube fart.

If those bullets had been loaded with neck tension, the sun-warmed expanding air could have easily raised the bullets, but I probably could not have re-seated them with finger pressure.

That would call for a tool such as Dale likes.

My cure is to run a case up into the compression die and leave it there...until I have thrown, weighed, and trickled the charge for the next case through the drop tube. I think this allows time for all of the air to leak past the wad while there is no bullet to help keep it trapped.

This seems to have eliminated all tendency for my rounds to 'grow' longer...making those lube farts a thing of the past.

CM