PDA

View Full Version : Relibility of Colt's revolvers - contempary to the inventor

Wayne Smith
11-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Frederick Law Olmsted (designer of NYC Central Park, among many others) took a ride through Texas in the 1850's with his brother. Written in A Journey Through Texas: or A Saddle-trip on the Southwestern Frontier, a fascinating read throughout.

" Of the Colt's (1851 Navy) we cannot speak in to high terms. Through subjected for six or eight months to rough use, exposed to damp grass, and to all the ordinary neglects of accidents of camp travel, not once did a ball fail to answer the finger. Nothing got out of order, nothing required care; not once, though carried at random, in coat-pocket or belt, or tied thumping at the pummel, was there an accidental discharge. In short, they simply gave us perfect satisfaction, being all they claimed to be. Before taking them from home we gave them a trial alongside every rival we would hear of, and we had with us an unpatented imitation, but for practical purposes one Colt we found worth a dozen of all others. Such was the testimony of every old hunter and ranger we met. There are probably in Texas about as many revolvers as male adults, and I doubt if there are one hundred in the state of any other make. For ourselves, as I said, we found them perfect. After a little practice we could very surely chop off a snake's head from the saddle at any reasonable distance, and across a fixed rest we could hit an object the size of a man at ordinary rifle range. One of our pistols was one day submerged in a bog for some minutes, but on trial, though dripping wet, not a single barrel missed fire. A border weapon, so reliable in every sense, would give brute courage to even a dyspeptic tailor."

Quite a testimony from an honest man.

bedbugbilly
11-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Thanks for posting - a very interesting read! There was a reason the '51 was so popular and made up in to the 1870s. I've been shooting '51s for over 50 years (clones but my first '51 that I ever show was an original) - my favorite!

Thanks for sharing - I'm going to copy this off and keep it in my notes!

Tatume
11-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Thanks Wayne. My first revolver was a Euroarms replica of an 1851 Colt Navy, purchased at Roses Department Store in Grafton, Va. on my 21st birthday. My first centerfire revolver was a Colt Official Police, purchased for $15 from a barrel at Tidewater Police and Sportsman's Supply (remember them, on Warwick Blvd.?).

Wayne Smith
11-21-2018, 03:17 PM
We moved here in '92 so I don't know if they were still there.

If you have an electronic reader (Mine's a kindle Fire) download the whole book. It's well worth it. I love his last line - Col. Colt really did make men equal.

rking22
11-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the post, very interesting. Interesting man as well. Wife and I went to Biltmore Estate in Ashville first of the month. Frederick Law Olmsted did the landscape design. Wifey has wanted to tour it for years, Im glad we did. Now there seems even more to explore about this man. Oh, Vanderbilt thought enough of him to commision life sized portrait for his home!

arcticap
11-26-2018, 02:45 AM
My hometown has a wonderful 98 acre park where I grew up living next to that was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. I used to know most every nook, cranny and tree in the park as it was very much my playground, like an extension of my backyard. There was even a small goldfish pool made of fieldstone that was built in the ground, and no longer used that many people wouldn't even know was there hidden among the overgrown bushes of the hillside Walnut Hill Park.
It's a place that many in the city still very much appreciate and where many town activities take place. In looking it up, I discovered that he grew up in Hartford, Connecticut, which was also to become the home of Sam Colt & Colt firearms who is still a regional legend of sorts. The land for the park was donated to my town and he was commissioned to design it AFAIK. He also co-designed New York City's Central Park. Other famous Hartford, CT sons were the author Sam Clemens, a.k.a - Mark Twain, and Noah Webster - author of one of the 1st "American" English dictionaries.

http://olmstedlegacytrail.com/walnut-hill-park/

https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc-op-leff-olmsted-parks-0731-20140730-story.html

JBinMN
11-26-2018, 03:21 AM
Thanks for sharing your find!
:)

Here is an online .pdf file. of the book, A Journey Through Texas: or A Saddle-trip on the Southwestern Frontier, By Olmstead, that you can read on line or download at your pleasure...
https://ia802308.us.archive.org/3/items/journeythroughte01olms/journeythroughte01olms.pdf

I am going to start reading it tonite.
;)

Good Cheer
11-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Thank you.

Wayne Smith
11-29-2018, 04:59 PM
On one of our vacations we toured his home.