PDA

View Full Version : Need to know if the head space is okay on my Sharps

gcollins
10-02-2008, 10:37 PM
When I went out to shoot my New Sharps last week, I had a little problem, First i didn't know it had a safety, and after a shoot it goes back on, I think I was moving it just enought that it was allowing the hammer to go all the way down, the spent cases the primer indent was pushed back flat. So I was told how to check for head space.
I took a new dowel Rod, and a case had my wife hold it in the case lip, and I slowly pushed the rod down the barrel untill I touched the rim of the case with steadty pressure, I took a razor blade, and made a flush cut, then with a empty breech I closed the block and ran the dowel rod untill i couldn't go any further and took the razor and made a flush mark!
Pulled it out and took my calibers and made sure they were on zero, and the measure ment was .99 . so i took a lille machnest pocket ruler and it measured under 3/32 .
is that to much head space??
I would be great full for the help! Greg

leftiye
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Now you might do the same to the same case that you used and see how much of that is the thickness of the case head. Sorry to say, but it sounds like that is what you measured. In rimmed cartridges headspace concerns the thickness of the rim, and is set up so that the thickest rims will fit with minimum clearance. Go gauges have the standard rim thickness, and no go gauges have overly thick rims. You migh try seeing if a case in the chamber has any slop, and HOW MUCH (forward and rearward movement). Then mike the case rim and compare that thickness to SAAMI standards.