PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Security Six grip options

Mk42gunner
11-20-2018, 03:26 PM
So last weekend I bought a Ruger Security Six Four inch barrel blued with a set of god awful target grips. I thought no problem I'll just find a set of stock take off service style wooden grips or get a set of Hogue Monogrips for it.

The problem is that it is a first year production, i.e. SN in the 150 range, and all I can find is stuff that fits SN 151 and up.

What is the difference? Can a set meant for the newer guns be made to fit, or do I need to just make my own?

Thanks for any help,

Robert

Der Gebirgsjager
11-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Perhaps e-bay for some originals? Altamont also comes to mind. Maybe Pachmayer, if rubber would be satisfactory.

Guesser
11-20-2018, 03:49 PM
The later grip frame is wider in both dimensions than the 150 series. I'v had both and I was fortunate in finding a set of Herrett Shooting Stars for the earlier version. As they are my favorite after market grip style I never looked farther. Call or email Herrett in Twin Falls Idaho and see if they still have a set in stock. Also, check Altamont.

contender1
11-20-2018, 11:32 PM
As noted above,, the frames are different,, and grips do not easily interchange w/o looking bad.
Customs or old stock is the only way to go.
Look around,, as there are some out there.
Or,, if you are handy with tools,, why not "modify" the current grips to fit your hands?

Mk42gunner
11-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Okay, thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for an old original set and probably give making a set from scratch a try.

The ones on the gun right now aren't really candidates for alteration because they have a spring metal tab on the right side that is meant to hold the hammer pivot pin in, and it just flat looks atrocious, at least to me.

I've got a chunk of well seasoned black walnut that would work, although from what I remember it is pretty straight grained which should make it easy to work if I can find it. Failing that there is a lot of very well seasoned hedge (aka Osage Orange)around here, which can make a decent looking set of handgun stocks although it can be hard to work.

Robert

Silver Jack Hammer
11-21-2018, 02:39 AM
I think I have a set of original Ruger wood grips if you want to try them I’ll look for them.

Shepherd2
11-21-2018, 09:29 AM
A couple people mentioned Altamont. I checked there recently and they didn't have any grips listed for the Security Six.

Mk42gunner
11-21-2018, 02:30 PM
Silver Jack Hammer PM sent.

Further inspection with a good light shows the set I have was made in Italy. The ink stamping bled together making it look like "made HRT", with the grip screw hole obliterating the in.

Robert