PDA

View Full Version : De-bluing a barrel

dagger dog
11-20-2018, 01:35 PM
I want to remove the blue from a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock barrel and then brown it, I will use the Mountain Laurel browning.

Used that solution to brown an in the white Lyman pistol barrel and it came out very well.

Need opinions on "the best way" to remove the bluing so I have a good base for the browning solution to come out even.

Thanks for reading !

tradbear55
11-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Evaporust will remove the bluing and you can rinse it off with water when finished. Neutral PH means no neutralizing like with an acid.

Nobade
11-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Might be the same thing, but Naval Jelly works really well for that. It's just phosphoric acid.

Geezer in NH
11-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Then you got to get rid of the phosphoric finish left on it.

Get Blue remover from Brownells or Midway. Then the LMB will work great.

dragon813gt
11-20-2018, 07:31 PM
Evaporust will remove the bluing and you can rinse it off with water when finished. Neutral PH means no neutralizing like with an acid.

Yep, it removes bluing quickly and easily. But if left soaking to long the barrel can darken. Just something to be aware of.

LAGS
11-20-2018, 10:55 PM
to remove the bluing , Vinegar.
Naval Jelly works good, but you have to neutralize it with something like baking soda in water

BPSharps
11-21-2018, 01:59 AM
I got to agree that Evaporust is some amazing stuff. Quick and easy. Bought a double barrel muzzleloader shotgun as a project gun. It had some rust in the barrels. Plugged them and filled with Evaporust and let it set over night. It cleaned up real nice but that is when I found out it removed blueing really easy too. :-P

sharps4590
11-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Good info, I was wondering the same thing. I can now get to the browned barrels on my Manton ML double gun. To add to the question, if a fella was doing Damascus barrels, what and how would the last step be and be done to get that stunningly gorgeous contrast between metals?

bedbugbilly
11-21-2018, 11:15 AM
plug your bore - wrap it in a number of layers of paper towel - put in a pan and soak towels with vinegar - that will remove the blueing. If it doesn't get all off the first application, repeat. Then rinse in hot water, dry well and polish with something like 600 grit. Wipe down with alcohol and then proceed to brown.

I've used this method a number of times when "antiquing" C & B revolvers. I like the Plum Brown where you heat the barrel warm and wipe on - several applications give a good deep brown.

I just bought a Pedersoli Moore flintlock pistol from a member here that has a blemished barrel - I'm going to do the same as you - remove the blueing and brown the barrel.

Other products will work but vinegar is cheap and my wife always has some on hand!

charlie b
11-21-2018, 12:04 PM
When working with double barrels make sure your solution is lead safe.

Saw the results of aggresive rust removal once. Barrel ribs came off in the soak. Gaps between the barrels.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

waksupi
11-21-2018, 01:28 PM
I use muriatic acid. Brush it on, instantly removes blue. Then wash the barrel down with baking soda. Actually, if you just leave it on, it will brown a barrel itself. If I'm not careful with it, I end up with things browned in the shop I don't want browned, as the fumes travel. Best to use outside, potent stuff. It can etch the barrel somewhat, but you are better off just going over it with 320 grade sandpaper, nothing finer, for a good tooth for the browning to bite.

dagger dog
11-21-2018, 07:45 PM
I have an old Spanish repo' flintlock barrel I can try the above methods.
Thanks to all that replied.

sharps4590
11-22-2018, 06:35 AM
The barrels on this Manton double will be rust browned. I'm not about to apply heat to 150 year old, or older, barrels. I have used the Brichwood Casey browning solution with heat and it does work good with enough coats.

DIRT Farmer
11-22-2018, 08:53 AM
To get the Damascus pattern to show there is a procedure. Back in my memory it seems it involves polishing the barrels and using an amomnia solution. There is a builder in south central MO that I think refinishes classic doubles and builds big bore shotguns from scratch, like 2 and 4 ga. You can find his contact info in Muzzle Blasts under field reps, Rod Gates

Gtek
11-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Demineralised, Deionised water can be your friend in the end.

2152hq
11-26-2018, 11:36 PM
To get the damascus or twist pattern to reveal itself, you have to 'etch' and then card the browned (or rust blued) bbls before rusting them again thru another cycle.

The etching soln quite often used is a very dilute soln of ferric chloride. Ferric chloride is commonly used as a copper curcuit board etchant. It is acidic on the Ph scale and that is what you want.
In the etching phase of the process, the rusted bbl is dunked quickly into and out of the etchant soln and then carded w/ fine steel wool under running water. The etching process loosens the rust (or rust blue) from the harder steel composition of the damascus pattern and makes it easier to remove in carding. But the softer iron composition strands of the damascus bbl tend to hold the color better and resist the tendency to loosen and card off. You do loose a little from the softer iron in the pattern in each etch and carding,,so it's a process of 3 steps forward and 2 steps back each time you do a cycle, building up the color and contrast a little each time.
Damascus finishing generally takes 15 or more cycles to finish a set of bbls., where if you were just rust browning or rust bluing them, they could be done in 4 or 5 cycles.

Some 'smiths don't etch & card every cycle, instead choosing to do that every 3rd or maybe 4th cycle. Saves time and still gets results.
Some use very dilute Muriatic acid for the etchant instead of the Ferric chloride. What ever you use, start very weak,,3% soln is fine. and room temp.
Lots of different techniques to get the process to end in damascus finish. Everyone has their own special way just like rust bluing or stock finishing. But that's the basics.

A simple way to bring out the pattern on a freshly polished damascus bbl is to wipe it down with common laundry bleach.
It can work wonders,,it can be a miserable failure or somewhere in betw. You will usually get some kind of brown on white pattern to show however.

jjarrell
12-03-2018, 04:17 PM
+1 here on Naval Jelly. It works almost instantly and takes it back to "the white". You also can't go wrong with Laurel Mountain Forge brownin solution. Take your time applying and it will give a great deep chocolate brown to the barrel.

Mac118
12-11-2018, 04:34 PM
I use a 50/50 solution of muriatic acid and water. Wash down with a baking soda/water solution to neutralize.

curioushooter
12-17-2018, 01:13 AM
I did the same thing with a T/C Hawken. Evaporust my friend. (Harbor Freight sells it and Meijer and many other places). Then follow the directions from Laurel Mountain.

I have used Evaporust to remove rust and blueing from other rifles, too. I have used Birchwood Casey Plum Brown and it works well, too. So does Brownells Belgain Blueing.

Basically, a good even layer or red rust is what you want then to boil it in distilled water which turns it to blue rust. If you want it to be brown all you are doing is trying to get a nice even layer of brown rust then rubbing a bunch of grease or oil into it which creates the finish.

The best humidifier I tried was an old plywood box with a light bulb in it (for heat, so incandescent) and a pie pan of water (I believe it was an old chicken egg hatcher). The way to boil in distilled water is take clean 4 or 6" PVC half pipes with endcaps on saw horses and lay the barrel down in them and submerge them immediately with the boiling distilled water. You can also hang them from the celiing with wire. Make it sturdy though.

Whiterabbit
12-17-2018, 01:36 AM
I use muriatic straight like waksupi. Very cheap in the garden section of home depot. I'm still on my first two gallons I bought a decade ago.

Liberty1776
12-31-2018, 04:01 PM
I accidentally discovered how to remove bluing when I attempted to clean my Ruger Old Army cylinder the first time by dropping the cylinder into a pan of boiling water that had some vinegar in it. Left it in too long. Big mistake. I was heartbroken. The cylinder looked like it was 100 years old. Down to the original white steel, for the most part.

Upside: I learned how to use Birchwood Casey Cold Bluing solution. All better now.

dagger dog
01-01-2019, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the tips ! I didn't wait long enough and botched the job, now I have to redo every thing, only this time I will slow down and take my time.

GregLaROCHE
01-01-2019, 11:59 AM
I’ve used Naval Jelly and other similar stuff when removing a lot of surface rust. The problem with it and other strong acids is they all etch the surface to some extent.

If you’re barrel is in good shape, I wouldn’t take the chance with strong rust removal products. For a couple of bucks, you should buy a product made for just that.

BPJONES
01-01-2019, 01:53 PM
You want to remove the bluing without using any chemicals use varying grits of sand paper. I have removed the bluing from several double barrels that I have slow rust blued. Just don't sand as hard where you have any writing/stamping.

Drm50
01-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Birchwood Casey makes a liquid blue and rust remover that works well. Several years ago a guy I
know bought it to remove a rusty finger print from the action of Brn A5 shotgun. Gun was mint and
the finger print was driving him nuts. He put BC on a cotton ball and wiped print. It took the print
off - and the blue across the swipe he made. It wipes blue off like water. I have used it on several
brands of guns. Most recently a Ruger Security 6 cylinder. On side had some light pitting from being
stored for years in leather holster. Took everything off to bare metal. Trouble is I can't find a cold blue that works well on S-6 cylinder.

fiberoptik
02-09-2019, 03:05 PM
White Vinegar is a great, safe, cheap! rust remover. I soaked rusty old tools in it for a few days (forgot), and it etched them and actually removed the chrome plating! I added a bit of Dawn dish soap to cut the grease. If you only go a couple hours, checking frequently it would be a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard II
02-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Birchwood Casey makes a liquid blue and rust remover that works well. Several years ago a guy I
know bought it to remove a rusty finger print from the action of Brn A5 shotgun. Gun was mint and
the finger print was driving him nuts. He put BC on a cotton ball and wiped print. It took the print
off - and the blue across the swipe he made. It wipes blue off like water. I have used it on several
brands of guns. Most recently a Ruger Security 6 cylinder. On side had some light pitting from being
stored for years in leather holster. Took everything off to bare metal. Trouble is I can't find a cold blue that works well on S-6 cylinder.

You may want to use Van's gun blue. It worked good for me on several guns. Get it direct from Van's on line. Follow the directions and you'll have no problems. Good luck.
Bob

fast ronnie
02-09-2019, 07:55 PM
I use muratic acid. Wipe it on, then wipe it off. Rinse well and put something on to keep from rusting.

fiberoptik
02-10-2019, 01:38 AM
You may want to use Van's gun blue. It worked good for me on several guns. Get it direct from Van's on line. Follow the directions and you'll have no problems. Good luck.
Bob

I picked up a bottle at a gun show. Haven’t tried it yet. Another project for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk